Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How much sun without sunscreen?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:37 am      Reply with quote
talyta wrote:
try krill oil Smile You are going to see the sunscreen effect in a couple of weeks . I am taking it for 3 years and I wear sunscreen occasionally when i am going to the beach . No melanoma anymore...
I really love this stuff:)

what do you mean by no melanoma anymore? I was just diagnosed with melanoma in situ.....
sharky2
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:07 am      Reply with quote
I believe that sun is good for you. There are many recent articles showing large benefits from heart and lung disease and a reduction in overall cancer. The largest study is from Scandanavia where people generally have light skin tones (I posted refs on the lounge board. If you are not in the high risk category for skin cancer (basically of Eastern european extraction) you will probably live longer by getting sun exposure.
Here is another review article:
Dermatoendocrinol. 2016 Jan-Dec; 8(1): e1248325.
Published online 2016 Oct 19. doi: 10.1080/19381980.2016.1248325
PMCID: PMC5129901
The risks and benefits of sun exposure 2016
David G. Hoel, Marianne Berwick, Frank R. de Gruijl, and Michael Holick

Quote from that review

"Evidence suggests that vitamin D that is produced in the skin can also be converted in the skin to its active form 1,25(OH)2D25, thereby enhancing DNA repair29 and lowering cancer risk."

If you reduce your risk of skin cancer but up your risk of heart attack, lung disease and other cancers is this good?!!!

I also research nanomaterials as well as biomedical effects and am skeptical about the safety of sunscreens. Nano-ZnO is toxic
nanoparticles less than 50-100nm can get into cells by passive means.

You can protect yourself by drinking green tea before sun exposure and also by taking Omega 3 oils and pyncnogenol. Sun burns however are not good so you need to know your own body. I am low 60's and am a sun bunny. I have less wrinkle (almost none) than anyone I know of similar age. Heredity does play a role. BUT melanoma is increasing despite the lowering of sun exposure in the US. Also outdoor workers actaully have LESS melanoma than indoor workers a fact that is puzzling researchers (the two factors people ascribe this to are lack of vitamin D in indoor workers and the fact that windows screen out UVB but not UVA). Many people have freckles on their left side due to driving!

Also get your info from peer reviewed articles NOT the WEB. A large fraction of info on the WEB is just wrong.
sharky2
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
I use carrot seed oil for other reasons but just read that it has a higher SPF than the other oils listed here.
EmilyKristina
5% products discount

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
The main motive of going to the sun is to increase the intake of vitamin C in your body. Though there are many ways to increase the intake of vitamin C, the sun is the best way to intake the vitamin C. It is not only good for skin but also good for skin. According, to me the average time every person go to the sun is 15-20 minutes. If you want to go for the longest time then prefer after 4 PM.

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:21 am      Reply with quote
EmilyKristina wrote:
The main motive of going to the sun is to increase the intake of vitamin C in your body. Though there are many ways to increase the intake of vitamin C, the sun is the best way to intake the vitamin C. It is not only good for skin but also good for skin. According, to me the average time every person go to the sun is 15-20 minutes. If you want to go for the longest time then prefer after 4 PM.

Is it possible you actually mean Vitamin D and not C?
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:31 am      Reply with quote
qowpele wrote:
Hello guys. Jeez I need to be really blunt here people just do not get it.

Use physical sunscreen such a zinc oxide in concentrations of 20% or over to have adequate protection... Please. You will thank yourself in the long run

Zinc oxide is the most effective sunscreen filter there is. While wearing it sure, some damage is being done but it happens to be a good deal less than what you would have gotten without it.

People you have got to understand that even if you are indoors you will still be bombarded by UVA light due to the fact LIGHT EFLECTS OFF OF SURFACES. If you are in the shade, you are getting slightly less of them, but they are stil hitting you.

Just a few minutes of exposure a day unprotected? Say hello to completely and effortlessly avoidable sun damage to your skin.

Stop checking out oils and other things of that sort that are touted to have spf 7 or whatever. They're useless at blocking UVA rays so you will still be aging at the pace that you would have without it anyway

You need UVA protection.... There is Not going to be a magic pill or oil that replaces this. I know that would be very ideal but, the truth is, taking your skin takes some work that unfortunately we have to deal with but it will be so worth it in the long run guys.....

Zinc oxide is one of the most photostable in sunlight and does not need to be reapplied unless you have sweated or wiped some off.

If you do want to look into internal agents fine, but use them alongside sunscreen daily. Some of these agents that seem extremely promising are Polypodium Leucotomos (aka Heliocare or the cheaper yet same Rhyzocare)

And something else can actually help a lot due to its insanely high lycopene content.... Two tablespoons of tomato paste (not sauce) but paste, is touted to give your body up to 33% extra photo/sun protection. Sure it tastes off for a few seconds but having an odd taste in your mouth for justa minute out of your whole day for a decent amount of more protection? I'll take it

Put it this way "I only get 5 minutes of sun exposure with no sunscreen a day. Let's do math now. 5 x 365 = 1825 minutes of unprotected sun exposure.... that is over 30 hours of sun exposure. That is a ton of damage.

Guys just bite the bullet, accept the fact it may take a little inconvenience to get done, but that you will be so thankful later that you did it

I always love your posts- you are as concerned with daily spf as I am!

At the moment I am using an avo/octocrylene free chemical spf with Mexoryl sx/xl and tinosorb S (Skinceuticals Ultra spf 50) and Burnout Zinc sunscreen.

Heliocare do a physical sunscreen that includes topical Polypodium Leucotomos and ferulic acid in it- but its a standard zinc/TD mix- no 20% zinc! They also have the chemical spf version with tinosorb

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 am      Reply with quote
Regarding sun exposure- I think that 20 minutes a day is good BUT I don't expose my face hands or neck. Hormone synthesis and vitamin D boosts from the sun are going to do more for your face than skincare, imo, so I do try to get some sun on my body. If I am sunbathing for an hour I will La Roche Posay my face up and apply 20% zinc oxide on top of that and put a sun hat over my face Laughing

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
MaryLetson
5% products discount

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:
Regarding sun exposure- I think that 20 minutes a day is good BUT I don't expose my face hands or neck. Hormone synthesis and vitamin D boosts from the sun are going to do more for your face than skincare, imo, so I do try to get some sun on my body. If I am sunbathing for an hour I will La Roche Posay my face up and apply 20% zinc oxide on top of that and put a sun hat over my face Laughing

Thanks for the great tips
sharky2
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Again aside from skin cancer sun reduces heart and lung disease and most other cancers. New article below. Huge pool of people.

Avoidance of sun exposure as a risk factor for major causes of death: a competing risk analysis of the Melanoma in Southern Sweden cohort.
Lindqvist PG1, Epstein E2, Nielsen K3, Landin-Olsson M4, Ingvar C5, Olsson H6.
Author information
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
Women with active sunlight exposure habits experience a lower mortality rate than women who avoid sun exposure; however, they are at an increased risk of skin cancer. We aimed to explore the differences in main causes of death according to sun exposure.
METHODS:
We assessed the differences in sun exposure as a risk factor for all-cause mortality in a competing risk scenario for 29 518 Swedish women in a prospective 20-year follow-up of the Melanoma in Southern Sweden (MISS) cohort. Women were recruited from 1990 to 1992 (aged 25-64 years at the start of the study). We obtained detailed information at baseline on sun exposure habits and potential confounders. The data were analysed using modern survival statistics.
RESULTS:
Women with active sun exposure habits were mainly at a lower risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and noncancer/non-CVD death as compared to those who avoided sun exposure. As a result of their increased survival, the relative contribution of cancer death increased in these women. Nonsmokers who avoided sun exposure had a life expectancy similar to smokers in the highest sun exposure group, indicating that avoidance of sun exposure is a risk factor for death of a similar magnitude as smoking. Compared to the highest sun exposure group, life expectancy of avoiders of sun exposure was reduced by 0.6-2.1 years.
CONCLUSION:
The longer life expectancy amongst women with active sun exposure habits was related to a decrease in CVD and noncancer/non-CVD mortality, causing the relative contribution of death due to cancer to increase.
© 2016 The Association for the Publication of the Journal of Internal Medicine.

Drinking green tea also moderates the bad effects.
sharky2
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot the article citation.

J Intern Med. 2016 Oct;280(4):375-87. doi: 10.1111/joim.12496. Epub 2016 Mar 16.
This is a good journal.
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:02 am      Reply with quote
After being diagnosed with melanoma in-situ on my nose and dealing with that this summer I will never go without sunscreen
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |