Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



Niacinamide recipe

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Author Message
lsilva7
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 May 2011
Posts: 32
Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:04 am      Reply with quote
I saw a recipe of niacinamide 1 tsp to 4 oz of moisturizer,what is a good base moisturizer? do you think I could add 1 tsp of niacinamide to 4 oz of olive oil? I use olive oil at night 30 minute after my retina. I alo use vit c recipe in AM, so I have to do niacinamide at night right?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 4120
Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Niacinamide is water soluble, so won't work in just plain oil..

Here's a nice (cheap) product you can pick up and just add more niacinamide to it;

http://cerave.com/our-products/facial-moisturizing-lotion-pm/

My guess is it probably has about 1%(ish), so just adjust the addition for 2 or 3% total.. Mix your niacinamide into a tsp of distilled water, then add into the product.

If you don't have sensitive skin you can use vit C and niacinamide together.. The worst that can happen is that your skin will get "flushed" for a bit. Also, each active thrives in a different pH, so if you can use one a.m. and the other p.m. that's great.

I combine both actives with no problems, but that's me.. Very Happy

_________________
♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
lsilva7
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 May 2011
Posts: 32
Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
How much niacinamide would I add to the tsp of water and then 4 oz of cerave to make it 2% or 3% ?
Thanks
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 4120
Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:39 am      Reply with quote
lsilva7 wrote:
Hi
How much niacinamide would I add to the tsp of water and then 4 oz of cerave to make it 2% or 3% ?
Thanks


Well to split the difference and make it 2.5% you would use 2.85 grams for 4oz. (That amount will easily mix into a tsp of distilled water.)

_________________
♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
lsilva7
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 May 2011
Posts: 32
Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kassy I am sorry for another question. How do I measure 2.85 grams? Would I need to keep this refrigerated? Should I also keep in a dark glass container?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 4120
Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
lsilva7 wrote:
Hi Kassy I am sorry for another question. How do I measure 2.85 grams? Would I need to keep this refrigerated? Should I also keep in a dark glass container?


You need to purchase a gram scale.. Lots to choose from here, but you can find them retail also;

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

No need to keep refrigerated or in a dark glass container, if you are just adding extra niacinamide to CeraVe..

_________________
♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
lsilva7
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 May 2011
Posts: 32
Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
also can I but niacinamide powdered capsules from GNC and then just open the capsule up and usse that niacinamide?
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 557
Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Niacinamide is water soluble, so won't work in just plain oil..

Here's a nice (cheap) product you can pick up and just add more niacinamide to it;

http://cerave.com/our-products/facial-moisturizing-lotion-pm/

My guess is it probably has about 1%(ish), so just adjust the addition for 2 or 3% total.. Mix your niacinamide into a tsp of distilled water, then add into the product.

If you don't have sensitive skin you can use vit C and niacinamide together.. The worst that can happen is that your skin will get "flushed" for a bit. Also, each active thrives in a different pH, so if you can use one a.m. and the other p.m. that's great.

I combine both actives with no problems, but that's me.. Very Happy


Kassy.... I have mixed my cp serum in my ceRave for my body. I just did it because I love my CeRave and didn't like the cp body lotion. With your knowledge ..is that ok? I wonder if the CeRave would ruin the cp's? I think it is working just fine..but thought you might know.

Thanks.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Posts: 4120
Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
hotdocgirl wrote:

Kassy.... I have mixed my cp serum in my ceRave for my body. I just did it because I love my CeRave and didn't like the cp body lotion. With your knowledge ..is that ok? I wonder if the CeRave would ruin the cp's? I think it is working just fine..but thought you might know.

Thanks.


LOL, you give me way too much credit.. Embarassed

I really haven't researched much about CP's, so I'm not sure if it would have an interaction with any of the ingredients in CeraVe.. Confused

My *guess* is the CV "lotion" would be a good choice to mix it with because it has other peptides which are compatible, and doesn't have a laundry list of crappy (filler) ingredients... (Just a guess though.. Smile )

_________________
♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 557
Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Damn Kassy, I thought you were some kind of scientist. I thought I had struck gold there for a second. Humph! lol.
publiceye1953
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 31 Dec 2016
Posts: 1
Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,
I'm new to DIY skincare and would like a recipe for a niacinamide face serum. I tried looking up this forum but never manage to get the reply to a relevant question as I get lost due to the number of posts.

I bought a bottle of niacinamide (500gm per capsule) from iHerb. Can I use this to make a serum? I have witch hazel, rose water, and hyaluronic acid.

Thank you Smile
ShastaGirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 16 Sep 2009
Posts: 978
Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
publiceye1953 wrote:
Hi all,
I'm new to DIY skincare and would like a recipe for a niacinamide face serum. I tried looking up this forum but never manage to get the reply to a relevant question as I get lost due to the number of posts.

I bought a bottle of niacinamide (500gm per capsule) from iHerb. Can I use this to make a serum? I have witch hazel, rose water, and hyaluronic acid.

Thank you Smile


It's usually recommended that you use cosmetic grade ingredients for skin care. Often the capsules you buy for ingestion have fillers and other ingredients not appropriate for mixing into a skincare formula.

The DIY forum on EDS used to have some recipes for niacinamide serums. You may want to search there. You may be able to make a niacinamide toner.
arielstar08
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 323
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Add Niacinamide 3-4% into a bottle of commercial facial toner. Use it as a toner.

It's cheap so who cares if most of it goes to the cotton ball.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Aug 2008
Posts: 2447
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:59 am      Reply with quote
Why use niacinamide? Even if its cheap, the point of using any ingredient is to benefit the skin. If it goes into the cotton ball and isn't absorbed, even if its cheap, is simply a waste of money?
arielstar08 wrote:
Add Niacinamide 3-4% into a bottle of commercial facial toner. Use it as a toner.

It's cheap so who cares if most of it goes to the cotton ball.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



StriVectin Instant Revitalizing Mask (90 ml / 3 floz) Anthony Logistics Wake Up Call Hydrating Treatment Gel (90 ml / 3 floz) June Jacobs Protective Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (47 ml / 1.6 floz)