Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hyaluronic serums
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Marie1120
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
I have a sample of the Skinceuticals B5 Gel serum and I like how my skin feels with this but before buying this, I was hoping to get some opinions here on hyaluronic serums. My skin is dry and mature. I would use it after Vit C and before a moisturizer.

SC also has the HA Intensifier and Cellex C has some with same or similar ingredients. Quite a few other brands but many of these have other ingredients and not sure if it is better to keep it simple or if the other things would add to the product. I don't like serums with dimethicone but it might be OK if further down on the list so that the serum isn't slippery.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Do not get too caught up with hyaluronic acid alone.

Buy formulations that contain it as a base but the hero ingredients shouldn't it. Look for ingredients such as niacinamide, Peptides such as Oligo Peptide and Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-3, CENTELLA ASIATICA. etc

If all you need is Hyaluronic acid (HA), there are different arguments whether it will draw moisture from deeper layer of the skin to the surface instead of just from the environment which is its primary intended purpose. Then if that's the case, the effectiveness will depend on the country you are in and the humidity!

In short, unless it's an injectable, then you will use FIORLGA. They are an injectable manufacturer that has now branched out to topical skin care but this does not guarantee their efficacy on the skin (rather than in the skin).

HA comes in various molecular weighs and the cosmetic chemists all over the world cannot agree an unanimously which one is best!
missbabypaw
5% products discount

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with everything arielstar08 has mentioned here and will reiterate: look for products that contain other beneficial ingredients *in addition to* hyaluronic acid.

I actually really do see benefits when I use products with low-molecular weight/mixed weight hyaluronic acid, but as hyaluronic acid can also tend to work as a delivery system (basically helping other beneficial ingredients reach deeper layers of skin), I attribute the benefits to the combination of ingredients and not hyaluronic acid alone.

If you are very concerned with dryness and/or dehydration, then I might look into an essence. Essences are designed to be used after your toner (if you use it) and before your serums and moisturizers.

Essences should be used for their most active ingredients. Smaller molecules allow for an immediate absorption into the skin (having a water-like consistency). You will still need to follow up with your serums (if you use them) but at the very least a moisturizer for barrier moisture and protection.

Also worth looking into as an alternative to hyaluronic acid are products with tamarind extract. The polysaccharides extracted from tamarind seeds hydrate skin with a mechanism similar to that of hyaluronic acid.
Marie1120
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you both for the responses and info.

Missbabypaw- do you have any essences or products with tamarind that you would suggest I check out?

5% products discount

Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Marie1120 wrote:
Missbabypaw- do you have any essences or products with tamarind that you would suggest I check out?

I did a bit of research and found some products that include tamarind extract in the ingredient list. Some also contain HA. Not all are listed as "essences" (some may be of a thicker formulation more similar to a serum). But I am sticking with products that are more toner/essence/serum-like for now. If you find a product you really like, you can explore what other offerings they may have (such as cleansers, creams, and the like) that may also contain tamarind.

Of the following products, I have personally only used one (which I *love*). I just want to be clear that I am recommending the others strictly because they contain tamarind (and maybe also some other beneficial ingredients) but I can't speak to their consistency or efficacy.

I’ll also talk a bit about how to use essences at the end. Smile

ONE I HAVE USED:
COMFORT ZONE Hydramemory Essence
This is a true essence with a watery consistency. It is safe to use around the eyes and even on the lips! Because I have personally used this one, I have tons of info regarding its ingredients and how they are meant to perform in terms of hydration. But I don’t want to bog this post down too much so let me know if you’d like that info separately.

OTHER OPTIONS:
Again, I have not tried any of these and not all are “branded” as being an essence, although they may perform similarly (especially those with a liquid-like formulation).

JUARA Tamarind Tea Hydrating Toner
This one is described as being more of a “liquid gel” and so may not necessarily perform the same results-wise as an essence (which are liquid-like). But certainly might be worth trying out!

SKINN Enriched Softening Essence

VERDURA Lotus Hydrating Mist

KALOLA BOTANICALS Hydrating Toner

HOW TO USE AN ESSENCE
Essences are designed to be used after toner and before serums. If you do not use a toner, use after cleansing. If you do not use a serum, use before your moisturizer.

Use morning and evening. Depending on how your essence is packaged, it may be easier to transfer all or some to a small spray bottle, then you can just mist your face with the product. Otherwise, you would put a few drops into your clean hands and tap lightly into skin.

TIP! USE YOUR ESSENCE WITH A SHEET MASK
Because they are liquid-like, you can create a really luxurious hydrating treatment by combining your essence with a plain sheet mask (a dry sheet mask with no product already in it). Or, if you already use sheet masks, you can apply your essence as usual to skin and then apply your chosen sheet mask.

If you or anyone else is interested in a comprehensive step-by-step guide explaining how to use your essence with a sheet mask, let me know and I’ll post it. Smile

Again, I hope this info is helpful to you. Feel free to hit me up with any other questions!
student201516
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Marie1120 wrote:
I have a sample of the Skinceuticals B5 Gel serum and I like how my skin feels with this but before buying this, I was hoping to get some opinions here on hyaluronic serums. My skin is dry and mature. I would use it after Vit C and before a moisturizer.

SC also has the HA Intensifier and Cellex C has some with same or similar ingredients. Quite a few other brands but many of these have other ingredients and not sure if it is better to keep it simple or if the other things would add to the product. I don't like serums with dimethicone but it might be OK if further down on the list so that the serum isn't slippery.

hi, recently i also became interested in the skin ceutical b5 and ce serum, however I read they are like glues and very hard to absorb, like you need to wait for some time for it to absorb before u can apply other creams, is that true?
Marie1120
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:31 am      Reply with quote
missbabypaw - thank you for the info. That essence does have a lot of ingredients that sound like they would be beneficial. I ordered a couple of Juara products but will order the essence soon. I need to get ready for the cooler weather that will be here soon. That along with indoor heating sucks the moisture out of my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:37 am      Reply with quote
student 201516 - I didn't have an issue with the sample of the SC B5 gel that I tried. It did soak in. I ended up buying the HA serum from Replenix but I haven't used it too often yet. The Replenix one has white tea, copper and zinc in it. It has that metallic coppery smell to me when I put it on but that dissipates fairly quickly. I will try it more as the temps cool off and my skin gets drier. We are having a warm September.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Marie1120 wrote:
student 201516 - I didn't have an issue with the sample of the SC B5 gel that I tried. It did soak in. I ended up buying the HA serum from Replenix but I haven't used it too often yet. The Replenix one has white tea, copper and zinc in it. It has that metallic coppery smell to me when I put it on but that dissipates fairly quickly. I will try it more as the temps cool off and my skin gets drier. We are having a warm September.

hi, thanks for your post, that is interesting to know..where do you order the SC B5 gel from?
student201516
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:18 am      Reply with quote
Marie1120 wrote:

btw, did u get to try the SC serum before u buy it in a store? or did you just get it online..?
it is not cheap after all
Marie1120
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
I got a sample of the SC from a medi-spa. I have only found a few SC products that I like enough to buy. I am probably in the minority though feeling like that.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |