Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Bed Time Moisturizer; A Mixture, Or Rotating Separate Oils?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone!

I have a quick question; at night, before I go to bed, I apply a really thick layer of one oil all over my face and neck. I sometimes use coconut oil, or avocado oil, and less often, olive oil.

I just rotate them on different nights/weeks/whenever I feel like it. In the morning, it's almost completely absorbed, and just washing my face with water is fine.

But I am wondering if it would be better to make a mixture of oils and apply that instead, for example, I could mix coconut oil and avocado oil together, and apply that, or coconut oil, avocado oil, and olive oil, and maybe add some emu oil too.

Would doing this somehow reduce the effectiveness of the individual oils? I'm hoping to create a "greater than the sum of its parts" thing here.

Thanks everyone!
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:58 am      Reply with quote
Have you got very dry skin? With oils – you literally only need a light coating of the oil to help the skin be moisturised and healthy. Overloading the skin with oils may prove detrimental long term because the oil can only be absorbed so far into the derma because of the size of the molecules, so often times people who overload their skin start to notice that it sags in places and feels spongey to the touch.
Now coconut avocado and olive oil are all good for different reasons and purposes. Avocado is the lightest of the oils you mention, and high in vitamins, but olive oil is usually brilliant for dry skinned folk and contains omega 3, 6 and sometimes 9 depending on the quality. Coconut oil is great for bacteria and fungal issues too. Now with mixing those oils – it depends where you are starting from and what you hope to achieve. Rather than mixing those – you may want to consider adding some aromatherapy to your range – for example rosemary with a base oil can be great for stimulating collagen, whereas lavender can be good for acne etc. Mixing two base oils together won’t actually help you out – because all the oils you mention are kind of great on their own for different purposes.
johndoe1125 wrote:
Hi everyone!

I have a quick question; at night, before I go to bed, I apply a really thick layer of one oil all over my face and neck. I sometimes use coconut oil, or avocado oil, and less often, olive oil.

I just rotate them on different nights/weeks/whenever I feel like it. In the morning, it's almost completely absorbed, and just washing my face with water is fine.

But I am wondering if it would be better to make a mixture of oils and apply that instead, for example, I could mix coconut oil and avocado oil together, and apply that, or coconut oil, avocado oil, and olive oil, and maybe add some emu oil too.

Would doing this somehow reduce the effectiveness of the individual oils? I'm hoping to create a "greater than the sum of its parts" thing here.

Thanks everyone!
Lin1313
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:09 am      Reply with quote
I use my Monsia night repair cream at night but during the winter months here in the UK I also apply a few drops of vit E oil to seal in the moisture as the central heating really dries the air in the house! I don't tend to mix oils and I steer clear of olive oil and tend to use all the lighter ones, e.g. jojoba oil (an ingredient in my skincare product) this I regularly use as an all over body moisturizer.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
I rotate.

Sometimes I go all natural:
Decleor face oil/ serum + matching balm

Sometimes I go chemical antiaging
IS Clincal Vit C + Strivectin Retinol

I do not need either of the above daily so I alternative.
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I do think some oils are better than others to mix and apply to the face. I guess it depends on your objective. I don't think coconut oil and olive oil are necessarily the best for mixing and for facial topical use (I do use them on the body)..

I don't have dry skin; it use to be very oily
and now is more combination. I still have a tendency to break out (but I am aging so I guess I would have "aging" skin) so I always use to avoid oils..

But I got a little more interested when I started reading the anti aging and healing and repairing effects of certain oils.
Here are some combinations Dr Axe talks about
https://draxe.com/anti-aging-essential-oils/..
After reading this I have started experimenting around.
I now do a combination of Pomegranate seed oil, rosehip and a few drops of Frankincense essential oil. I may add some others later but am keeping it simple with what I know should any problem come up. All are suppose to be beneficial for things like dark spots, rejuvenation, collagen and elastin, fine lines, acne and damage repair. They are loaded with antioxidants. They do seem to lighten dark spots and make my skin look healthier.
I know pomegranate oil will not break me out and so far so good with rosehip, which is a dry oil.

You may want to find your own combination for what your needs are. But you really don't need to coat it on thick..Really..a few drops will do.
missbabypaw
5% products discount

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:08 am      Reply with quote
tigerlily009 wrote:
I now do a combination of Pomegranate seed oil, rosehip and a few drops of Frankincense essential oil.

I love love love rosehip and frankincense essential oils for dry skin and general anti-aging! I've never tried pomegranate oil, though, so I'll have to check that out!

In general I like using jojoba oil as a carrier oil because it's said to be very similar to our skin's own sebum. Sometimes I will use olive oil in a pinch, though, if I run out of an oil (because I always have it for cooking, LOL).

I like to mix essential oils with my carrier oil and I often will use my oils after I have applied my essences or serums.

For anyone who wants to experiment with making their own facial oils with a few essential oils, I often look at the ingredient lists for facial oil products I like and have tried or ones that I hear good things about. Different carrier/esssential oil blends are out there that are suitable for different skin types and concerns. So I'll find the ingredient list for a product and then a recipe for a DIY facial oil and kind of mix and match to my needs. The reason I look for a DIY recipe is because these often have very good guidelines for exactly how much of the essential oil you want to use in your carrier oil.

So you are right, tigerlily009, when you mention only using a few drops of an essential oil. A good rule of thumb is to always dilute an essential oil with a carrier oil and do a patch test first before applying all over your face! I usually put a drop of the blend on my neck just behind my ear when doing a patch test. Let it sit overnight.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |