Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Tretinoin/retin a JACKED UP my skin! Dehydrated, dry mess.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
green_tea_maniac

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I joined this forum and this is my first post.
I am desperate. My fair, sensitive skin is a dried out, dehydrated mess. I have used tretinoin off and on the past 3 years just fine. I never even had much dryness or irritation from it (I used the lowest strength).

But now my skin is totally changed. And I haven't even used tretinoin the past few months.
My face feels dry and tight no matter what I do.
My moisturizer (cerave pm) no longer leaves me moisturized, and when I put on my zinc sunscreens (even moisturizing ones) they just dry me out further.

If I stretch my face (i.e. open mouth for flossing teeth etc.) when I rest it again, my nasolabial fold has a red mark that stays there for a couple minutes.

I've tried not washing my face, using natural oils like argan and rosehip, using vaseline, etc. but it still feels so tight.

I went to the free physicians assistant at my college, and she told me that my skin doesn't look dry. Well, it sure as heck feels dry. And tight. I'm also acne-prone too. All she did was give me a new prescription for tretinoin and told me to mix it with a night cream. She said that's what she does. But honestly her skin didn't look that great (dry and kinda wrinkly).

If anyone has any tips, believe me, I really appreciate it. I want my normal skin back. I'm only in my early 20's!
green_tea_maniac

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
I think I do actually have kind of dry skin because every time I try liquid foundation it turns into a flaky mess. Also mineral powder foundation makes me feel dry. But my skin has blackheads/ large pores/ acne and doesn't look dry from a distance.

But now I have this dehydration and tightness issue too which makes things even worse.
Camouflage
5% products discount

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
It seems your skin is dehydrated rather than dry. Mind you dehydration means it lacks water, whereas dryness is the lack of oil -which you don't seem to have since you get blackheads and large pores. You have probably impaired your skin barrier through an excess of tretinoin or harsh cleansers. Look for moisturizers with ingredients such as sodium PCA, aminoacids (serine, taurine, etc.), phytosphingosine or hyaluronic acid, as all these help skin repair its surface and retain moisture more effectively.
green_tea_maniac

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Camouflage wrote:
It seems your skin is dehydrated rather than dry. Mind you dehydration means it lacks water, whereas dryness is the lack of oil -which you don't seem to have since you get blackheads and large pores. You have probably impaired your skin barrier through an excess of tretinoin or harsh cleansers. Look for moisturizers with ingredients such as sodium PCA, aminoacids (serine, taurine, etc.), phytosphingosine or hyaluronic acid, as all these help skin repair its surface and retain moisture more effectively.

Thanks for replying. Any product suggestions? The Cerave lotions have hyaluronic acid but no longer moisturizing enough. I also never use harsh cleansers. Just Cerave or other fragrance free stuff.

Tonight I actually just used extra virgin olive oil on my face to cleanse and moisturize & my skin feels moisturized and supple.
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:24 am      Reply with quote
This sounds like an internal problem to me. Any time I start having problems like you describe, I take fish oil twice a day, put a tablespoon of olive oil on veggies once a day, and drink 3-4 liters of water per day. The problem is usually resolved within 2-3 days. Until then. Eucerin will help.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi there,Even I face the problem of dry skin during winter.I have used each and every type of winter cream,moisturizer but all of them were not able to give a good result.I had them discovered Nyassa bath and body's lotion and oil.This product helped me in keeping my skin moisturized and hydrated.I think so this will be a remedy for your solution.Just visit the site and you will find a wide range of lotions and oil with great effect and fragrance
KristyC

Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Make sure you are drinking at least two liters of filtered water daily. If the olive oil works for cleansing your skin then use it. Coconut oil also works well. Many OCM recipes call for castor oil. I would be careful with that one since your skin is so dry. It sounds like this problem came out of no where. In that case, I suggest you see a dermatologist. You could have an underlying skin condition rather than just dryness.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |