Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Derma rolling - 2 question for experts
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
tompet
5% products discount

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
I am new to derma-rolling and would really appreciate some input because I am so confused!Confused I started out with .5 mm and 1 mm rollers, purchased from owndoc. I also bought infadolan and the owndoc hyaluronic/peptide serum.

The instructions advise to use a serum right after rolling, or use infadolan to help with inflammation. But wouldn't that just apply after using very short-needled rollers that are just meant for improved product absorption?

Since the .5 and longer are meant for collagen production, and from what I've read the inflammation process of wounding the skin is needed to induce new collagen, wouldn't using a serum or cream that may decrease the inflammation be counter-productive?

Also, I've read you can use the .5 once a week while other websites state you can only use it every 2 weeks or 3 weeks or even once a month. I don't want to undo any new collagen by rolling too frequently. Rolling Eyes Would much appreciate advice.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:35 am      Reply with quote
I’m not an expert, but have read a lot of the research and did a couple years of rolling.

Dermarolling triggers the wound repair mechanism and that is what builds collagen. Some inflammation is ok, but you don’t want constant or long term inflammation happening.

For me, I would use a .5 every week or two. Frequency would depend on how my skin is reacting. If excessively dry or irritated, I’d use less frequent. I’d also use a serum for product penetration and not an inflammation reducer.

I’d use the 1mm about once a month, not in the same week as the .5. For this I’d apply the
Infadolan.

Let us know how it goes and what results you get.
tompet
5% products discount

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Shastagirl, thank you for the reply, much appreciate it!!

My skin seems to handle once every 8 or 9 days with the .5 quite well, it is red initially and by next morning back to normal. I have only used the 1 mm every 3 - 4 weeks, it's a bit more painful.

As for results, my lips seem to be more well-defined. I am 55 and was losing some lip pigment and that seems to have been restored. And my skin seems to be more even-toned. I haven't rolled long enough for collagen-related results yet, but I have high hopes. Smile

May I ask what results you had while rolling for 2 years?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
tompet wrote:

May I ask what results you had while rolling for 2 years?

My results were somewhat subtle. A few lines softened a bit, but I think it more staved off time. I’m in my 50s and I don’t think my skin has gotten any worse over the past years when I was rolling.

I was looking for help mostly with lip lines and NLs. I found that I wasn’t getting the results as dramatically as I wanted so I did some fillers a while back. I needed volume and dermarolling just won’t give you that.
tompet
5% products discount

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 am      Reply with quote
I was hoping for visible improvement for marionettes and naso-labials. Based on your experience, it doesn't sound like that will happen. I have seen photos with pretty dramatic improvements, but maybe those were obtained by using much deeper needles. However, staving off further aging sounds pretty good.
Deborah An
5% products discount

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:31 am      Reply with quote
tompet wrote:
I was hoping for visible improvement for marionettes and naso-labials. Based on your experience, it doesn't sound like that will happen. I have seen photos with pretty dramatic improvements, but maybe those were obtained by using much deeper needles. However, staving off further aging sounds pretty good.

I once saved a reply from someone discussing. I will copy paste it here for you.
Because of this it inspired me and went for dermapen treatment, I will do that twice or three times and then buy stuff from owndoc to continue myself. I went 6 weeks ago and since 3 weeks I follow facercise from carole maggio who has a programm which includes nasolabial smoother.

I swaer they are not gone yet but became I guess 30% less visible.

Ik here is the reply:

Quote:
My theory is that deep wrinkles need to be treated like deep acne scars: by single needling or very narrow stamps/rollers. Young people with acne scars have been very successful by doing single this persistently and repeatedly. I suspect that if we just roll a surface with deep wrinkles, the surrounding skin might get more of the needling, thus actually developing more collagen and getting thicker compared to the deepest lines. I've been very successful with single needling: peri-oral lines gone, bunny lines gone, horizontal forehead lines gone, parenthesis lines (deepest and always emphasised by smiling all day ) reduced. Think of filler injections: they are done into the wrinkles, not the surrounding skin. I do use a small 1.5 stamp from owndoc on the parenthesis lines and first hints of nasolabial lines, as there is a certain width of skin that needs more collagen. I push them outward from inside the mouth to really get deep into these lines and build collagen inside them. I only use my roller and larger stamp for large areas that need a better texture: cheeks, hands, shins, elbows. So that's my take on why some people are dissatisfied with the dermaroller: their skin may be very successfully making more collagen, but not getting deep into the lines or building the same amount of collagen all over skin and in wrinkles, so making no visible difference. Also: make sure you're eating enough protein to really build skin.
tompet
5% products discount

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you very much for that info, Deborah An. Based on what you posted, I think I have the right approach. The 1 mm I bought (from owndoc) and have been using is the narrow, 3 line. I use it on the marionette and naso labial lines and 11's and around the mouth and on the deep sleep wrinkles on my chest. For the rest, I just use the .5 mm. For the deeper lines, I also make sure to stretch my skin upwards so the roller has full contact with the wrinkle.

I've also read that many people seem to be of the opinion that collagen induction only works if you get bleeding while rolling. I've gotten a bit of bleeding on my hands and arms, but not anywhere else, and I really don't want to use anything deeper than 1 mm. But I am hoping that will still work, though it will probably take longer to see decent results.
lynnn
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:53 am      Reply with quote
Deborah An wrote:
tompet wrote:

I once saved a reply from someone discussing. I will copy paste it here for you.
Because of this it inspired me and went for dermapen treatment, I will do that twice or three times and then buy stuff from owndoc to continue myself. I went 6 weeks ago and since 3 weeks I follow facercise from carole maggio who has a programm which includes nasolabial smoother.

I swaer they are not gone yet but became I guess 30% less visible.

Ik here is the reply:

Quote:
My theory is that deep wrinkles need to be treated like deep acne scars: by single needling or very narrow stamps/rollers. Young people with acne scars have been very successful by doing single this persistently and repeatedly. I suspect that if we just roll a surface with deep wrinkles, the surrounding skin might get more of the needling, thus actually developing more collagen and getting thicker compared to the deepest lines. I've been very successful with single needling: peri-oral lines gone, bunny lines gone, horizontal forehead lines gone, parenthesis lines (deepest and always emphasised by smiling all day ) reduced. Think of filler injections: they are done into the wrinkles, not the surrounding skin. I do use a small 1.5 stamp from owndoc on the parenthesis lines and first hints of nasolabial lines, as there is a certain width of skin that needs more collagen. I push them outward from inside the mouth to really get deep into these lines and build collagen inside them. I only use my roller and larger stamp for large areas that need a better texture: cheeks, hands, shins, elbows. So that's my take on why some people are dissatisfied with the dermaroller: their skin may be very successfully making more collagen, but not getting deep into the lines or building the same amount of collagen all over skin and in wrinkles, so making no visible difference. Also: make sure you're eating enough protein to really build skin.

Hi Deborah An. Thank you for sharing this & your experience with the derma pen. I'm wondering if you have continued to see improvement in your lines from your needling? I have deep nasolabial lines which I would love to make better & makes a lot of sense to just target the line itself. I have a small 1mm & .5mm from owndoc which I used to use very regularly but targed around the line too & I don't think that was the best idea.

born 1964, some raw & live foods - medium complexion - sinking eye area yet manage to still have bags, loose, sagging upper eyelids, 11s not as bad as my N/L & M/L, microneedling .5 & 1mm, led, massage, Vit C, A, CP very occasionally, HA, EES, DMAE, MATRIXYL
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |