Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Retin A and spider veins on cheeks
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
libertybelle
5% products discount

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:30 am      Reply with quote
I have recently started using retin-A. Although I do have some small broken veins on my cheeks.

I'm using the retin-A every 2 days and only a tiny amount, it seems fine just a bit flaky.

My question is, does anybody know if it may make my cheeks worse? or should I avoid rubbing the cream on my cheeks and just stick to the rest of my face.

Also, any suggestions for sunscreens to use with retin A?

Thanks

Libby
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:57 am      Reply with quote
I use it and have not noticed it changing the appearance (or making it worse) my spider veins by the sides of my nose. If you recently starting using it, it does take a while to allow your skin to adjust to using it, so you may have some flakies. My suggestion, use only a pea size, and it helps me to stay away from the sides of my nose, or mouth. That skin seems to be sensitive. I do not use sunscreen, so I can not help there. Every sunscreen I have ever used, clogs my pores, to the point that when I apply in the morning, by afternoon I can go home and squeeze my cheek ( or skin) and long strings of gunk comes out of them. No thank you

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:41 am      Reply with quote
I have not noticed an increased appearance in my spider veins on my face with Retin A use. I use Skinceautical sunscreen, but I know that is not a favorite of many people on the forum.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
Ive been avoiding the cheeks for the same reason. Im so prone to broken caps there.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:04 am      Reply with quote
20 years and counting of Retin A and haven't noticed any problems with spider veins.
libertybelle
5% products discount

Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your replies, especially mountain girl. I'm not exactly an ancient monument yet but I do have lines on my forehead and a few starting under my eyes, I'm 38.
I really flaked for a week but am using the minimal amount right now about 3.4 of a small pea with a light moisturiser and my skin seems to be coping alright with it.

Today my face was clear of flakes and so I put on some foundation and my husband noticed! He said that I looked all fresh??

Anyway, how long does it take for any effects with wrinkles,? any ideas? when I say wrinkles I don't mean the big ones, but the new tiny ones? I bet you are going to tell me it takes years ..LOL

I was looking at the topic women over 50? I think, they mentioned retin-A with CP (copper peptides) anyone tried this?

Libby Smile
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very prone to spider veins - have had them zapped with IPL but some stubborn ones around the nose are hard to get rid of. I use Retin-A 0.1% everyday and have not noticed any increase in the veins. I use Sofina Nuance Sunscreen.
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
I've used Retisol- A for years and have not had any problems or developed broken capillaries from it. By the way, you probably have broken capillaries not spider veins on your face.
As far as sunscreens go, I like the Juice Beauty tinted sunscreen for everyday under make-up. For sunbathing I use the richer DDF Organic or La Roche Posay. Cool
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:21 am      Reply with quote
I have broken capillaries ANDS spider veins, yes, ON my face. people sometimes tell me I have "pen mark" on my face, and I have to politely inform them that it's just an ugly purple vein! I've had them since I can remember.

I learned over at the skininteractive boards forum that retin-a, copper peptides, vitamin c, and any other active that precipitates collagen formation actually contributes to a process called "angiogenesis," which means, essentially, capillary formation. Your dermis is being renewed, and evidently the message to the skin is to overproduce capillaries as well. So you MIGHT get what looks like broken caps from any of these treatments IF you are prone to angiogenesis, but they might not be sue to irritation per se. obviously with retin-a you must be careful and use a very tiny amount because you don't want to give yourself actual capillary damage.

IPL is not very reliable, but there are many laser options out there to take care of this problem.
BUT I've seen in one week a noticeable amount of fading from regular application of my DIY cream with silymarin and MSM (mixed with green tea extract and rosehip oil). there was a thread posted by lucky louie on this very recently. it works!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:36 am      Reply with quote
Interesting post by Avalange. To answer your question Libertybelle, when I first started on Retin A, it was a good 6-8 months before I could really see some significant improvement in my skin...maybe even a bit longer. Just know that starting while you're young will
be well worth whatever you have to endure to have beautiful skin in your 50's. I do have wrinkles around my eyes, but the rest of my face looks pretty damn good. (PM me and I'll send you a picture.) Personally, I am not a believer in diluting Retin A with moisturizers or washing it off after an hour. I am a believer in pushing yourself through the unpleasant early side effects and using it as often as possible--as well as using sunscreens religiously!
cricricri11

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:49 am      Reply with quote
well,i found quite an old thread apparently ;. Anyone experienced anything in the meantime??? Laughing

5% products discount

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
bump, anyone?
Journey

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
I recently ordered venorid serum it came very late due to some shipping improper.Then i was not much interested to try this product out.Then my mom asked me to try since i have spider veins.After using venorid seems to be helping with my spider veins. They appear to be less noticeable. It is light and not sticky.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Spider veins/broken caps cannot be removed topically so serums and topicals won't help. Usually it is broken caps you are seeing on your face, not spider veins.
Lasers can help depending on how deep and the type of laser treatment.
Retin-A can make broken caps worse on your cheeks if you are prone to them as I am. My derm advised me to not use it because of that once I started developing them, due to the thinning of the skin as well.
I do use it occasionally on my neck and chest and it is fine.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:09 am      Reply with quote
i am really wondering whether to give it a go anyway. I think one cannot hide wrinkles with make up , but one can hide spider veins. Very Happy

5% products discount

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:14 am      Reply with quote
I have never used sunscreen with retin A as it harms my skin.

5% products discount

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:31 am      Reply with quote
Many thanks for your advices girls!
retinn

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:56 am      Reply with quote
I applied venorid on broken veins.it works.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:08 am      Reply with quote
Why anybody still insists on RetinA for anti ageing is beyond me!

New peptide ingredients, niacinamide and myristyl nicotinate (B3), Growth Factors and Stem Cell have completely made it obsolete.

Pigmented lesions can be fixed with Laser treatments such as Q switch YAG safely and effectively (and cheaply). They also improve skin texture, shrink pores and plump up collagen.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:44 am      Reply with quote
I don't blame you for disliking sunscreen. Would you consider just mineral powder makeup? Some protection is better than none.

EmilyKristina wrote:
I have never used sunscreen with retin A as it harms my skin.
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
retin-A definately made my spider veins worse. most people are probably fine, though. I tried retin-a for a very short time, and had to stop because it was just too horrible on me, spider veins was one of the reasons, that, and peeling so much that i looked like a "doctor Who" alien.
ladycaid

Mon May 25, 2020 6:53 am      Reply with quote
I use Retin A because it has years and years of research showing it is effective at reducing the signs of sun damage/aging. Other ingredients are also promising but until they have the same type of research that Retin A has, I will include them in my routine but will not cease to use Retin A I have stated to use copper peptides and use them 2 times a week at night and Retin A the other 5 nights. Waiting to see if I have good results. And I would never use Retin A without using sunscreen. The additional sun damage caused by not using sunscreen will cancel out any of the good effects of the Retin A. I like wearing Japanese sunscreens. They have good UVA protection ingrediens the US does not have and they feel like you have nothing on.

Options:
Organicskincare55
5% products discount

Sat May 30, 2020 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Retin-A is an absolutely amazing product.

However, if the concentration of Retin-A seems to be a bit too intense for your skin you may consider using an over-the-counter retinol instead (the concentration is less; hence gentler).

I absolutely would recommend using retin-A on your entire face (not just one specific region).

Just take it easy and start off slowly as your skin gradually adapts to the use of the product.

Eventually, you may notice your skin's tolerance to the product will allow you to use the product once daily.
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
I definitely experience broken capillaries on the tops of my cheeks and in particular around my nose. I have tried a few serums without luck. My skin has always been sensitive, but based on the information above I may need to change my skincare routine. Thanks for the tips and advice! Smile
skinpro

Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Nice routine, i just loved it
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |