Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Best humectant for a spritz?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:27 am      Reply with quote
The original recipe for the spritz uses Sodium PCA. However, I've never used that ingredient, and I do quite like Glycerin. And then there is also Hyaluronic acid and I think Aloe is a humectant as well.

Does anyone know which would work best in a spritz? I've read glycerin can be quite sticky but I think I'd only use a very small amount. Would it be ok to use glycerin in place of sodium pca? Or is sodium pca better for a spritz? The recipe only uses 2 ml of sodium pca. hmm

TIA everyone. I'm new to DIY and am unfamiliar with using different humectants!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:33 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
The original recipe for the spritz uses Sodium PCA. However, I've never used that ingredient, and I do quite like Glycerin. And then there is also Hyaluronic acid and I think Aloe is a humectant as well.

Does anyone know which would work best in a spritz? I've read glycerin can be quite sticky but I think I'd only use a very small amount. Would it be ok to use glycerin in place of sodium pca? Or is sodium pca better for a spritz? The recipe only uses 2 ml of sodium pca. hmm

TIA everyone. I'm new to DIY and am unfamiliar with using different humectants!

If you like Glycerin I can't see any reason not to use it especially in a small amount, I have Glycerin and Rosewater and it is lovely! Smile

If you want more info on Sodium PCA:

Sodium PCA

Sodium PCA, otherwise known as the sodium salt of pyrrolidone carbonic acid, is a humectant that is naturally occurring in the skin. It is a derivative of amino acids that is very water absorbing. It is also hygroscopic, meaning that it absorbs moisture from the air.

Sodium PCA feeds moisture to the hair and skin and is most notably used as an ingredient in moisturizers. Sodium PCA is non-irritating to the skin and eyes, non-comedogenic and is water and ethanol soluble. It is not soluble in oils.

http://www.vitaminstuff.com/definitions/definitions86.html

HTH Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:22 am      Reply with quote
Thank you DM! Smile What is your rosewater and glycerin? That sounds lovely!!! Maybe you could pm me the recipe if you didn't mind?

Is glycerin your favorite humectant to use or do you like several? Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:41 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Thank you DM! Smile What is your rosewater and glycerin? That sounds lovely!!! Maybe you could pm me the recipe if you didn't mind?

Is glycerin your favorite humectant to use or do you like several? Smile

I sometimes luck out and find it pre=made but it is a very simple recipe to make! you can adjust the glycerin up or down according to the feel you like.
To make it into a toner you can add 3/4 Cup of witch hazel (also adjustable). Smile

1 Cup of rose water
6 Drops of glycerin

ETA: my skin likes glycerin, I guess one of my other favorites would be HA.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:46 am      Reply with quote
Second DarkMoon's advice: glycerin is great for a spritz and, like many humectants, is only sticky if you use too much.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:52 am      Reply with quote
Thank you both. Smile Firefox, I know you love Aloe. I'm curious if Aloe could be used in a spritz too and if so, are there any specific forms of Aloe you would recommend? I've seen the 99% aloe gels etc. and even aloe powders. hmm
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:16 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know if there is a difference between regular glycerin and vegetable glycerin? Or do they both affect skin the same? I've tried finding an answer to this question but can't find anything. They appear to be and do the same thing. hmm
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a difference between regular glycerin and vegetable glycerin? Or do they both affect skin the same? I've tried finding an answer to this question but can't find anything. They appear to be and do the same thing. hmm

Yes EG,

It can be made from animal fats or plants, I prefer the vegetable form personally. Smile

WiseGeek has a great explanation (copyrighted)

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-vegetable-glycerin.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Thank you both. Smile Firefox, I know you love Aloe. I'm curious if Aloe could be used in a spritz too and if so, are there any specific forms of Aloe you would recommend? I've seen the 99% aloe gels etc. and even aloe powders. hmm

You know me too well! Laughing Depends what your other spritz ingredients are, how much space you have in your recipe and how you intend to use the finished product. AV should ideally be used at a fairly high concentration to get the benefits of the active compounds, and you may find this is too sticky or filmy for a refreshing spritz. AV seems to work best in a cream, lotion or serum base, a formulation that contains lipids or oils, even if only in small quantities (ie. non greasy). Or in a water-based formula that is to have a lotion or cream layered over the top.

I definitely would not use an AV gel for a spritz because that may needlessly thicken your finished product, IMO use either a stabilised inner leaf juice or powdered extract that reconstitutes to a liquid. A powdered extract would have the longest shelf life and be the most versatile: you could dissolve your actives in plain water then add the AV powder, or dissolve your actives in one lot of water and the AV in another lot of water before mixing the two, rather than trying to dissolve actives in AV juice.

HTH! Smile

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
egyptiangoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:20 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much Firefox and DM! I'll stick to vegetable glycerin. Thankfully it's easy to find! And thank you for the info about the aloe Firefox. My skin likes aloe too I think, but I've never used it in DIY. I think I read you say the fresh aloe from plants shouldn't be used so I'll stick to what you recommend. I'm happy to know the powdered extracts are ok to use too. Smile But I wont add it to my spritz! Smile
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Some other humectants to consider are:

honey
sea silk
propylene glycol
hyaluronic acid
sorbitol
d-panthenol

calendula CO2 extract is also nice in a spritz as its a natural humectant and healing to skin. I think GardenOfWisdom has some nice hydrosols that are moisturizing but light for summer.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much fawnie, I didn't know some of those were humectants. Great tip about the calendula extract! Calendula is supposed to be really good for sensitive skin, like chamomile. I wouldn't have thought of that! Very Happy I've seen rose hydrosol also. Do you know if that's ok for sensitive skin by any chance? I love the scent of rose. Very Happy
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Thank you so much fawnie, I didn't know some of those were humectants. Great tip about the calendula extract! Calendula is supposed to be really good for sensitive skin, like chamomile. I wouldn't have thought of that! Very Happy I've seen rose hydrosol also. Do you know if that's ok for sensitive skin by any chance? I love the scent of rose. Very Happy

Sure! Rose is nice for any skin type, esp mature. U can read about all the hydrosols that GoW has here:

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/3957554/3987261.htm

MountainRoseHerbs has calendula:

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/fwater/fwater.html
HTH U

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Thanks fawnie! Smile GOW is one site I haven't become totally familiar with yet lol. There's so many sites it's overwhelming. Shock Regarding humectants, I think ima throw a lil sodium pca in my cart at lotioncrafters too lol. Soon my house will look like a lab. Laughing I suppose you can never have too many DIY supplies. All the more fun to experiment with!
Stork
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi There

Does anyone know why you should not use fresh aloe from the plant? was thinking of mixing that into my moisturiser.

Thank-you

M
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
Stork wrote:
Hi There

Does anyone know why you should not use fresh aloe from the plant? was thinking of mixing that into my moisturiser.

Thank-you M

AV straight from the plant contains known allergens and irritants so is not recommended. The published research demonstrating AV's anti-inflammatory, wound healing and collagen inducing properties has been using standardised extracts, ie. those which have been refined, stabilised and preserved exactly as a good quality commercial AV gel is. In addition you would find it very difficult to prepare AV juice in a sterile manner.

Case studies on contact dermatitis from fresh aloe
http://repositorio.chporto.pt/bitstream/10400.16/821/1/Allergic%20contact%20dermatitis%20to%20Aloe%20vera.pdf
http://www.desertharvest.com/physicians/documents/HB-16.pdf
Case study I don't have access to
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1081120610008665

From 2005, edited for brevity
"Aloe vera has been used as a cosmetic and medical remedy since ancient times and has gained increasing popularity in recent years. Despite its widespread use, reports of allergic reactions are rare. We patch tested 702 consecutive patients with an oily extract from the leaves, Aloe pulvis from the entire plant and concentrated Aloe vera gel ... None of the subjects showed any reaction to one of the preparations. 2 components of the plant have to be distinguished: the bark of the leaves contains anthrachinones with pro-peristaltic and potential antibiotic and anticancer properties. Constraints have been imposed due to their considerable toxic potential. Today, mostly the Aloe gel from the center of the leaves is processed. It almost exclusively consists of carbohydrates to which also many medical effects have been attributed. Carbohydrates are not likely to induce contact sensitization, which might explain the outcome of our study."
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.0105-1873.2005.00713.x/abstract

From 2007, official safety assessment, edited for brevity
"The Aloe leaf consists of the pericyclic cells, found just below the plant’s skin, and the inner central area of the leaf, i.e., the gel, which is used for cosmetic products. The pericyclic cells produce a bitter, yellow latex containing a number of anthraquinones, phototoxic compounds that are also gastrointestinal irritants responsible for cathartic effects. The gel contains polysaccharides, which can be acetylated, partially acetylated, or not acetylated. An industry established limit for anthraquinones in aloe-derived material for nonmedicinal use is 50 ppm or lower ...

Case reports include acute eczema, contact urticaria, and dermatitis in individuals who applied Aloe-derived ingredients topically. The Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel concluded that anthraquinone levels in the several Aloe Barbadensis extracts are well understood and can conform to the industry-established level of 50 ppm. Although the phototoxicity anthraquinone components of Aloe plants have been demonstrated, several clinical studies of preparations derived from Aloe barbadensis plants demonstrated no phototoxicity, confirming that the concentrations of anthraquinones in such preparations are too low to induce phototoxicity
."
http://ijt.sagepub.com/content/26/2_suppl/1.abstract

LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:20 am      Reply with quote
Just received Twinlabs NA-PCA spray - will report back on whether it makes me glow or not. Will pair this with nia24 moisturizer

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
ko6kin.
5% products discount

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:22 am      Reply with quote
There are tonnes of ingredients on the market one can use Propanediol http://www.duponttateandlyle.com/zemea, NMF, Lactil -Sodium Lactate (and) Sodium PCA (and) Glycine (and) Fructose (and) Urea (and) Niacinamide (and) Inositol (and) Sodium Benzoate (and) Lactic Acid just some of them
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |