Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Need a stable vitamin C serum
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
epmarshall
5% products discount

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I need some Vitamin C serum recommendations. I want one that is affordable but will still give me the benefits of using Vitamin C. I would use Skinceuticals, but I'm pretty sure that is really expensive.

Also, I need one that uses one of the more stable forms of Vitamin C in its formula, such as:
-Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate
-Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate
-Ascorbyl Methylsilanol Pectinate
-Ascorbyl Palmitate
-Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate

From what I've read so far, ascorbic acid and L-Ascorbic acid are unstable forms of Vitamin C, so I would rather not use a serum that has those forms.

I would really appreciate some recommendations. Thanks in advance, everyone!
ngeisler
5% products discount

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:27 am      Reply with quote
I love this one: https://www.sweetprana.com/product/sunshine-superstar-serum/

It contains Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate. It also contains Hyaluronic and Ferulic Acids. And it's affordable.
epmarshall
5% products discount

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:44 am      Reply with quote
ngeisler wrote:
I love this one: https://www.sweetprana.com/product/sunshine-superstar-serum/

It contains Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate. It also contains Hyaluronic and Ferulic Acids. And it's affordable.

Thanks for the recommendation, ngeisler! How long does this last you?

Also, does it have a color to it?

I tried a Vitamin C serum before that was a bright orange color and it stained my skin orange, which was distressing. And I confirmed with the company that it wasn't old, it was just an orange color for some reason. So I need something white or clear that won't stain my pale skin.
ngeisler
5% products discount

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:11 am      Reply with quote
You need to use your c serum up within a couple of months. It should be clear, with maybe a pale yellow tinge. No company would make their c serum orange - it's a clear sign of oxidization. I don't buy the "it's just orange" excuse. The moment you open the bottle and air hits the serum, the clock starts ticking, which is why it's insane to spend a ton of money on c serum. If it turns solid yellow, orange or red, toss it.
epmarshall
5% products discount

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
ngeisler wrote:
You need to use your c serum up within a couple of months. It should be clear, with maybe a pale yellow tinge. No company would make their c serum orange - it's a clear sign of oxidization. I don't buy the "it's just orange" excuse. The moment you open the bottle and air hits the serum, the clock starts ticking, which is why it's insane to spend a ton of money on c serum. If it turns solid yellow, orange or red, toss it.

Yeah, it's a bit strange. The company says it's because they also use carotene in the serum. Either way, that makes it too hard to tell if the serum is old or not so it seems like a ridiculous choice.

Thank you for the info!
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
Timeless CE Ferulic lasts about four months but decant half into a separate bottle and refrigerate both. That way only one gets exposed to air frequently. Great value for the money - about $25.
epmarshall
5% products discount

Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:52 am      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
Timeless CE Ferulic lasts about four months but decant half into a separate bottle and refrigerate both. That way only one gets exposed to air frequently. Great value for the money - about $25.

Wow, thanks Softskin! That's definitely a great value and even includes Vitamin E and Ferulic acid like I was hoping for as well. Do you have a specific source you use to get yours?

Also, what's your recommendation for decanting the serum? I want to make sure I have an opaque bottle that won't let light into the serum or anything.

Thanks again!
nick850914
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
I love martiderm photoage
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Neostrata has a 10% vitamin C serum that comes in capsules so it is not exposed to the air.
It is the only one that works well for me so far.

Body Shop has a similar vitamin C product and thought I would try it since it was on sale, and it only worked ok on me.

The Neostrata product has no colour, maybe a store can give you 1 or 2 caps to try.
The body shop, when I went the girl was nice enough to give me 4 or 5 capsules- so I had enough for almost 1 week!

I tried Skinceuticals, Murad and a bunch other vitamin C products.
So far Neostrata is the only one I buy all the time when I run out.
I might get the body shop one it they have a 3 items for $30 sale...
Angelcat47
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
I often shop at Skinactives.com. They have a Vitamin C Serum that also contains E and Ferulic Acid along with some additional good actives for your skin.It sells for $15.50 per ounce.
coeywong88

Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
I want to try Laughing
leileieve
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
The vitamin C powder from philosophy is very easy to use and store. Just add it to your serum or face cream then you have your own vitamin C products.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
Vivier is the one that has very stable formulation/quality.
canadian86
5% products discount

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
I like anhydrous serums because they are extremely stable. A good one is the CSI 12% l-aa serum available from Vitacost. It's only 2 ingredients, butylene glycol and l-aa. Extremely stable, would not go bad for a long time. It's less than 20 dollars on Vitacost and they often have sales.
GiusyMarino
5% products discount

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:58 am      Reply with quote
I will definitely try
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
My Fawnie is my new go to products. Love her stuff!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:15 am      Reply with quote
The body shop has some vitamin C thing in capsules, similar to Neostrata and if lucky you can get it on sale for $10 when they have a any 3 items for $30 sale.

But staff in the store did give me 2 capsules as a sample to take home....for free Smile
-just go and ask them.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:45 am      Reply with quote
OMG I thought I was the only one who knew about this brand! I love Martiderm Photo Age toooo. Most Vit C in the market are too acidic and sticky for me except Martiderm. The serum comes in 2ml vials to prevent oxidation.
nick850914 wrote:
I love martiderm photoage
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Forget about Magnesium Ascorbate which is ester form of Vit C or tetrahexyldecy ascorbate which is the oily form. Neither will do anything for you.

Look for L-ascorbic Acid 10-15%

epmarshall wrote:
Hi all,

I need some Vitamin C serum recommendations. I want one that is affordable but will still give me the benefits of using Vitamin C. I would use Skinceuticals, but I'm pretty sure that is really expensive.

Also, I need one that uses one of the more stable forms of Vitamin C in its formula, such as:
-Ascorbyl Palmitate

From what I've read so far, ascorbic acid and L-Ascorbic acid are unstable forms of Vitamin C, so I would rather not use a serum that has those forms.

ko6kin.
5% products discount

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
Seriously? Forget? Why? Do you have any evidence to corroborate your statement?
arielstar08 wrote:
Forget about Magnesium Ascorbate which is ester form of Vit C or tetrahexyldecy ascorbate which is the oily form. Neither will do anything for you.

epmarshall wrote:
Hi all,

-Ascorbyl Palmitate

petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Obagi proffessional C is amazing. it is higher priced , but a little goes a long way and it lasts for several months.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 am      Reply with quote
My statement is based on my experience using both manufactured products and isolated chemicals sourced from Skinactives, etc

I have been doing it for 15 years.

All the research showing Vit C's ability to be anti-oxidative, collagen-producing, and pigment-reducing effects is based on L-ASCORBIC ACID. Even if you use one of the Vit C derivatives, presumably for the purpose of increasing stability (eg adding ferulic acid), for any of the AA derivatives to be effective, they need to be able to release or be converted back to AA.

What that means is, play with Vit C any which way you want, the only structure in which it will function is Ascorbic Acid. You are merely swapping its structure around for the sake of stability but lowering its efficacy because ultimately, the skin needs to convert it back to AA. During this back and forth conversion, much of the effectiveness is lost. Furthermore, using Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate as an example, it carries 1 part AA, four part tetraisopalmitic acid, a buttery substance. So whatever you are applying on to the skin, you are only getting 20% of what you really want (vit C), the rest is "butter".

None of those Vit C derivatives I mentioned in my previous posting are acids (-Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate
-Ascorbyl Palmitate
-Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate). None of them could donate a proton in aqueous solution like an acid would.

The best cosmeceutical companies that make fantastic Vit C preparations such as SKINCEUTICALS, ULTRACEUTICALS, IS CLINICALS and of course, CELLEX C, the company that started it first, rely solely on L-ascorbic acid 15% at pH around 3.
Those formulations have not changed for 10 years and continue to enjoy a loyal following, including me.

So what is your statement, ko6kin.?

ko6kin. wrote:
Seriously? Forget? Why? Do you have any evidence to corroborate your statement?
arielstar08 wrote:

epmarshall wrote:
Hi all,

-Ascorbyl Palmitate

arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:39 am      Reply with quote
Good to hear! It's amazing because it

Contains 20% L-ascorbic acid a form of Vitamin C.

petu wrote:
Obagi proffessional C is amazing. it is higher priced , but a little goes a long way and it lasts for several months.
doodlebug
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I'm still loving my Vitamin C Serum from Pure Skin Formulations. I've been using it for years. Every time I go off it or switch to try something else, I notice a difference in my skin for the worse. So now I just don't mess with a good thing. It's 15% L-ascorbic acid & it's stabilized so it stays clear to the last drop. I think it's BETTER than skincueticals & is only $46. And best of all you can get it right here from EDS! 😉
shawnlimws

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:52 am      Reply with quote
You can check out the Resist 25% Vitamin C Spot Treatment from Paula's Choice
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |