Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Questions about Retinol/ Vit A/ Retinyl Palmitate?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Some products list Vitamin A as its key ingrediant and say that it can be used day and night. For example Thalgo O2 Marine Anti Stress Oxygen Cream.

So as mentioned above I shouldnt really use this in the morning? Cause it could make skin more damagable from the Sun Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't worry about it, simran. I suspect that the amount of Vitamin A in the product is so small as to be negligible in terms of sun sensitivity. Of course, that means it probably should not be thought of as a substitute for a more potent retinoid, either.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
simran wrote:
Some products list Vitamin A as its key ingrediant and say that it can be used day and night. For example Thalgo O2 Marine Anti Stress Oxygen Cream.

So as mentioned above I shouldnt really use this in the morning? Cause it could make skin more damagable from the Sun Shock

Retinol products are de-activated when exposed to UV rays, that is why they are recommended for night time use.. (For sure the Retin-A products)

On the other hand, I think some vitamin A + Retinol products can be used during the day, if you allow them to fully absorb before going outside.......It really has a lot to do with the formulation also.. In the product you mentioned above, that contains 'oxygen', that would push the vitamin A deeper and quicker into the skin, as would other products that have nanosome delivery systems.

This is my feeling anyway, gathered from tons of reading.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
I emailed the Jamieson company and they said the moisturizer contains 1.15% Retinyl Palmitate. So just wondering if that makes any difference?... Confused
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:25 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
simran wrote:

Retinol products are de-activated when exposed to UV rays, that is why they are recommended for night time use.. (For sure the Retin-A products)

On the other hand, I think some vitamin A + Retinol products can be used during the day, if you allow them to fully absorb before going outside.......It really has a lot to do with the formulation also.. In the product you mentioned above, that contains 'oxygen', that would push the vitamin A deeper and quicker into the skin, as would other products that have nanosome delivery systems.

This is my feeling anyway, gathered from tons of reading.

Thanks KassyA as i was just concerned. I am thinking of getting that Thalgo product and I dont want my skin more to be more sensitive to the sun as i already suffer from uneven skintone on face. Dont want the problem made more worse Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:19 am      Reply with quote
Retinols will thin the outer horny layer of skin, and therefore it will be more susceptible to the damaging UV rays..

Protect yourself everyday rain or shine with anything you can to keep the sun off your face/neck/hands.. i.e. sunscreen, MMU, and physical barriers like hats and tightly woven cotton garments.

I live in Florida year round, and you'd never know it by looking at my pasty white face and body ... Laughing

I wish I new at 23 what I know now... You are so lucky to have found this forum at such a young age... If you learn nothing else, learn how important it is to protect your skin from the sun.. If you do that, you'll have beautiful, youthful skin all your life.... Learn now while your still a kid, PROTECTION FROM THE SUN, IS THE HOLY GRAIL!!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:35 am      Reply with quote
you are soo right about protection from the sun, my skin tans quite easily in within 5 mins outside even with wearing SS still i can tan!. How do you manage to keep yourself looking pasty white in florida? Which sunblock do you use Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:32 am      Reply with quote
Simran, if you are tanning while wearing sunscreen, you need a better sunscreen! Tanning suggests that it does not have enough UVB protection, but worse, UVA rays don't cause immediately obvious damage, so you won't realize that you aren't getting enough protection. Luckily there are now a lot of sunscreens that provide very good UVB and UVA protection--physical sunscreens with high amounts of zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and chemical sunscreen that typically combine some of the physical ingredients with a chemical sunscreen. European sunscreens containing mexoryl or tinosorb are good UVA and UVB blockers that are also highly stable and don't break down during usage. There are lots of threads here on sunscreens that discuss specific sunscreens. Happy reading!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Also, I'm surprised that Thalgo would recommend using a product with significant Vitamin A in the daytime. I realize that retinyl palmitate is a lot weaker than retinol or retinoic acid, but still...
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:15 am      Reply with quote
simran wrote:
you are soo right about protection from the sun, my skin tans quite easily in within 5 mins outside even with wearing SS still i can tan!. How do you manage to keep yourself looking pasty white in florida? Which sunblock do you use Shock

My 1st advice is if you tan regularly, don't bother using any retinol products... Flitcraft is quite right about not seeing immediate, obvious damage.. The fact of the matter is, that UV damage is cumulative over our lifetime.. All hell won't break loose until the collagen/elastin layer of the skin is sufficiently compromised, and then the inevitable sagging appears.. Then when the skin renewal process slows down as we get older, sunspots/hyperpigmentation/rough skin and the like, also appear..

Protect yourself daily now, in any way you can, and you'll be rewarded with youthful skin your whole life. If you just have to have that nice glowing tan, make friends with sunless tanners.. Clearly they are a PITA to master, but it's the only way to have the best of both worlds safely..

When I asked a Dermatologist/friend/coworker many years ago, what he thought was the best "beauty creams" anyone could buy, he flat out said; "Sunscreen + Vaseline products are all anybody needs, if started at an early age".. (I'm not quite sure I believe in vaseline as a daily diet though.. Rolling Eyes )

Living in Florida means sunscreen needs to be my best friend on the days I'm out and about.. I'm retired, so can pick and choose when I want to shop/walk/go to the beach etc.. and my habit is to avoid being outside the majority of the time, between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.

When I do venture out, my favorite sunscreen is Aveeno Face SPF 30, that I buy for 10 bucks at CVS. It's oil free and water resistent, and contains natural soy and vitamins A, C + E.

I also use Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15, when I'm not going to be out for an extended period..

MMU is also a good alternative to sunscreen, but be sure to not use it simultaneously with sunscreens containing Avobenzone..(Which are the majority!) Supposedly, the minerals 'de activate' it... It's probably okay, if you wait the 20 minutes or so for the sunscreen to absorb, and then apply the MMU though..hmm!

So that's my 2 cents for inexpensive sunscreens, with good ingredients, that work for me... (Use your extra money on something that will penetrate and do you good, not on a sunscreen that's made to sit on top of it all. Just my humble opinion!)

simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:38 am      Reply with quote
wow KassyA thanks for your advice. I use SS with SPF 30 at the moment and its a physical SS. I apply that then i apply baby powder on top to get rid of shine then i apply MMU or sometimes i will just use the Jane Iredale PowderME SPF 30+ which is in powder form. This is working for me and creates less tanning unless im out in the sun for longer. But i dont do any re application of SS maybe the problem is there.

I just think re application will create a mess during the day. Hmm but maybe I will start doing reapplication of the JI PowderME. I cant think of any other way else il end up looking like a mess.

I use to use Bioderma SS SPF 100 which is a chemical SS. I use to tan with this. I feel my skin darkened over time. And all these chemicals absorbing into the skin worried me overtime and the ability of this being stable over time. Again maybe the problem was not reapplying Confused

I am still on the lookout for a SPF but a physical one and higher than 30+. SO i will keep reading on this forum for suggestions.

Flitcraft which SS do you use?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
hhm Kassy A, would u think starting to use a High UVA ss in my late 20's now is too late? Sad And I would like to know how soon will u see results in terms of fine lines when using Retinol? Thanks!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Simran, I use Avene SPF 50+ emulsion with tinosorb. It is sold in Europe but not North America, unfortunately. It is hands down the best I have used for high UVB and UVA protection in a non-greasy, disappearing formula. (I accidently got the tinted version once--yikes, it was sooo dark I couldn't use the right amount for protection!!! So now I an careful to buy the untinted.) I'm lucky enough to get to Europe on business a couple of times a year, so I buy it there, but when I'm running low I get it online fromwww.frenchcosmeticsforless.com--a very good etailer. I've also used La Roche Posay's Anthelios with mexoryl. The high SPF version is pretty thick and whitening, the lower SPF version (which is fine in winter if Im not going to be out much) is much more tolerable.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
hhm Kassy A, would u think starting to use a High UVA ss in my late 20's now is too late? Sad And I would like to know how soon will u see results in terms of fine lines when using Retinol? Thanks!

Here's my opinion;

- It's never too late to start using sunscreen.. (I din't until I was 35, but from then on I used it consistently.) I only wish I knew then what I know now....For sure I wouldn't have been basking on my roof, covered in baby oil and iodine.. (One of these days, I'll post a picture of my tanned hyde, back in the day. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

- In my opinion, you will start to see the benefits of using Retinol at about the 6 month mark.. (That's my experience anyway, could take up to a year.) Also keep in mind, that the younger you are, the more subtle the changes will be....

In my humble opinion of course, which could be totally off the mark ... Laughing

dagnolia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
question:
i started using a retinol/retinyl acetate mixture @ 1% around three weeks ago. i have definitely seen a 90% reduction in the painful, volcanic-type blemishes i was hoping to control with the retinol (yay!). in addition, the ones i do get are much less intense & heal much more quickly (double yay!) but now it seems like my blackheads & general congestion are on the rise (boo!).
so... now i'm wondering:
is it possible for retinoids to promote or cause congestion?
or, was all this gunk there all along, and i'm only seeing it now because the topmost layers of dead skin are being exfoliated away (and perhaps also since i don't have those big, red, hideous blemishes to fixate upon any more)?

the only other substantial change i've made is the addition of some diy ascorbic acid stuff (which i started @ about the same time). i read in another thread that some people find ascorbic acid to be pore-clogging... but i haven't used the vit C with as great a regularity as the retinoids, so i don't think vit C is the cause.

any thoughts? tia.
lanadelslay
5% products discount

Wed May 02, 2018 10:31 am      Reply with quote
is larocheposay redermic r a good retinol cream?
PatKyle
5% products discount

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:35 am      Reply with quote
I love all La Roche-Posay products, but this one is exceptionally good. I feel like it's genuinely slowing the signs of my aging skin and making me look better by the day!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |