Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Ice cube facial massage in the morning?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
I read it makes your skin glow, tightens pores, hydrates skin and more but will it dry your skin? Are there any downsides to this?
Will it cause more wrinkles? Specially around the eye area?

Thank You!
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
The claim that cold water or ice will minimize pores is a myth. Pores don't open and close as if controlled by muscles. Dirt and dead cells can make them look bigger which is why exfoliating and using a deep cleansing mask may minimize them over time. But cold water will not.

Quote:
One spa expert says:

"...I can’t tell you how many times I read about a product or a procedure that they claimed "opens the pores." It started to drive me crazy because pores don’t open -- or close. Pores stay the same size no matter what you do. Steam, exfoliation, paraffin masks, hot towels -- none of these open the pores. They CAN, however, soften the sebum and dead skin cells that clog the pores, making extraction easier. I know that sometimes esthiticians talk about opening your pores, but don’t believe them. In fact, it’s a tip-off that they don’t know their stuff."
http://spas.about.com/b/2007/07/06/spa-writing-faux-pas.htm

A doctor from the Palo Alto Medical Center says this:

"Pores do not open and close. They can get clogged with dirt or oil, so gentle cleansing is important. But vigorous scrubbing, exfoliating, special products, do not open or close pores."
http://www.pamf.org/preteen/doctor/

Even pageant experts weigh in here:

"...They do not open, they do not close. If your pores are appearing larger it is most likely because dead skin cells have built up on the pore. This is why exfoliation is important. Exfoliation helps to buff away dead skin cells and keeps the pores looking smaller and cleaner. Now, I will tell you that picking and squeezing on your pores can stretch and scar them. So obviously this is a no-no."
http://www.pageantfaces.com/faqs.htm

And here’s what one dermatologist has to say:

"Myth #3: You need to steam your face or use an astringent to open or close your pores. There’s no magical process or product that will cause your pores to "open" and allow impurities to rise to the skin’s surface. By the same token, splashing cold water on your face - or doing anything else for that matter - won’t cause the gates to slam shut on your pores. Simply put, "pores are pretty stationary," says Susan C. Taylor, M.D., a dermatologist in Philadelphia...What you’re doing when you steam your face is causing the blood vessels to dilate and the skin to swell slightly. Similarly, "astringents and toners slightly irritate the walls of the pores and make them swell, causing the pores to look smaller," Baumann explains. But they haven’t actually changed in size. Even in the best-case scenario, their diminished appearance won’t last for more than 24 hours. For a longer-lasting effect, you can help pores look closed and tight by keeping them clean. Wash your face at least twice a day."
http://www.societyhilldermatology.com/articles/shapeAug05.html

So there it is - an "open" and "shut" case! (pun absolutely intended!)
Source

Also I don't think extreme temperatures are good for skin so I personally don't think it's a good idea or that it will really do all the things you listed.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:08 am      Reply with quote
One downside I have heard is that it gives some people with sensitive skin broken capillaries on their faces. Not sure how you could avoid that or even how you would know if you are likely to be at the effect of it but worth sharing.

I did at one point in my youth used to get icecubes and a bowl of water and put them in the water and dunk my face in them, and it did always make my skin feel nicer and look rosy but I couldn't be sure those effects lasted very long.
morocha wrote:
I read it makes your skin glow, tightens pores, hydrates skin and more but will it dry your skin? Are there any downsides to this?
Will it cause more wrinkles? Specially around the eye area?

Thank You!
agatha
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
I read somewhere that Paul Newman would submerge his head into the bowl of icy water each morning. I personally think he had a very nice skin tone throughout his whole life, but I too don't like extremes.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Pores don't have muscles, but temperature can be used to encourage pores to open and close. Hot temperatures will open pores (e.g., sauna), while cold temperatures will encourage pores to close. I alternate temperatures sometimes to get a certain effect, but I haven't rigorously experimented yet to give you a good answer.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:15 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Pores don't have muscles, but temperature can be used to encourage pores to open and close. Hot temperatures will open pores (e.g., sauna), while cold temperatures will encourage pores to close. I alternate temperatures sometimes to get a certain effect, but I haven't rigorously experimented yet to give you a good answer.

That is a myth. Temperature has no effect on pore size whatsoever. And you will not find anyone who truly understands the anatomy of skin who will cosign on this myth. The hot water may loosen stuff clogging pores and therefore leave them bare and gaping but it didn't widen them. And cold water won't tighten them either.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/cleansing/myths/pores-in-hotter-water.htm

http://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/ava-shamban-your-skin-and-your-health/pore-you/
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
cold therapy can help with acne. I don't know of any other reason to do it. A nice way to ice the face is to fill paper cups, freeze and then peel off an inch or so of paper and then rub on face.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
I used to use frozen cotton pads over my face in the mornings. I soaked them in oatmilk and laid them flat in the freezer, blah blah blah. It worked nicely for eye swelling particularly.

Nowadays I side with Paula Begoun and the other professionals who say that extreme temperatures aren't good for the skin, especially when used daily. It's probably not a big deal for a younger person, but once you reach the age where you have to start asking, it'll probably just do damage. (Lol.)
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone recall the claim that ice water on the Girls can make them perky? I used to do that when mine were just budding, because "perky" sounded like something good! Filled the sink with cold water and ice cubes and InWeGOooooo ... Shock

I cant say that it really did anything at the time. I was like a 32AA! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
LauraLizzie wrote:
cold therapy can help with acne. I don't know of any other reason to do it. A nice way to ice the face is to fill paper cups, freeze and then peel off an inch or so of paper and then rub on face.

LauraLizzie can you explain exactly how this works?

Cold laser therapy for acne treatment has nothing to do with cold. Just uses laser light without heat hence the word "cold" (not hot). Cold Fusion treatment for acne is just a line of products that use salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide and a glycolic acid to clear acne.

Unless you are just trying to reduce the swelling/inflammation by causing blood vessels to constrict and move away from the surface of the skin temporarily, I don't see how ice/cold can address the causes of acne and treat it.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Does anyone recall the claim that ice water on the Girls can make them perky? I used to do that when mine were just budding, because "perky" sounded like something good! Filled the sink with cold water and ice cubes and InWeGOooooo ... Shock

I cant say that it really did anything at the time. I was like a 32AA! Very Happy

Well, cold will make your nipples stand up so maybe that is the "perky" they were talking about. Laughing
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
Nonie aka AD wrote:
Well, cold will make your nipples stand up so maybe that is the "perky" they were talking about. Laughing

That happened! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:51 am      Reply with quote
I don't know about opening/closing pores but I do know that when I first read about ice water or cold water on the girls (boobs) that was from Loulou's Ageless if You Dare book, and I think Eleanor Glynn also spoke about using it on your face.

From memory on the flexeffect forum the trainers there (think Loli and Shawn) were saying that it doesn't do stuff to pores but the circulation, and has an effect on firming the skin because the hot/cold both have different effects on the circulation beneath the skin. They recommend starting out with hot/warm cloths and finishing with ice cold cloths.

I used to do it in my youth, remember seeing on TV:am one time that Leslie Kenton recommended dunking your head into ice cold water, and I did it and it did used to work a treat, but was it pleasant - erm... no. By no means, however it did make your face feel really fresh.

Did it do anything for my pores - don't think so but that wasn't so much my reason for doing it.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:41 am      Reply with quote
And then there's the whole Scandinavian sauna-to-sea-thing of jumping into ice cold water after sweating in a sauna. Invigorating! Even Scotch showers (contrast showers) are good for the circulation.

I did the ice water to the chichis thing when I was a young girl tho, long before LouLou spoke of it. It was reported that the French women did that and of course that was the epitome of chic to me then. Very Happy

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:22 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone ever seen the movie MOMMIE DEAREST?
In the intro Joan Crawford, upon waking, takes a bowl of ice and pours alcohol on it, washes her face and hands with scalding water, soap and a scrub brush then splashes hot water on her face a few times then puts the ice on her face. She also wears a series of chin straps to sleep.

I cant post a link but if you go to you tube and search MOMMIE DEAREST intro it will come up
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
I don't know about opening/closing pores but I do know that when I first read about ice water or cold water on the girls (boobs) that was from Loulou's Ageless if You Dare book, and I think Eleanor Glynn also spoke about using it on your face.

From memory on the flexeffect forum the trainers there (think Loli and Shawn) were saying that it doesn't do stuff to pores but the circulation, and has an effect on firming the skin because the hot/cold both have different effects on the circulation beneath the skin. They recommend starting out with hot/warm cloths and finishing with ice cold cloths.

I used to do it in my youth, remember seeing on TV:am one time that Leslie Kenton recommended dunking your head into ice cold water, and I did it and it did used to work a treat, but was it pleasant - erm... no. By no means, however it did make your face feel really fresh.

Did it do anything for my pores - don't think so but that wasn't so much my reason for doing it.

I have heard of Contrast Temperature/Bath Therapy used in treating sports injuries although little evidence is there to show that they are better than just ice. The therapy has been found to reduce blood lactate and heart rate, and the proponents also argue that this dilation and constriction of vessels due to heat also happens to lymphatic system vessels thus giving the lymphatic fluid which has no driving force, the way blood has a heart, a pumping force and therefore encourages it to flow more. Perhaps this is also why it is believed to be good for the immunity by those who do it. Another explanation I have read is it is believed that the warm water causes blood vessels to come to the skin surface and muscles while cold water causes vessels to shrink back from the skin surface and to serve to internal organs better. I don't know how much truth there is to this because I believe blood serves the organs as a matter of importance and didn't back down from that task just because your body was warm, but I suppose it sounds good to those who say it.

http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/contrast-baths

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17339133

http://newstartclub.com/resources/detail/contrast-baths-for-pain-relief

http://www.integrativehealthcare.org/mt/archives/2009/04/contrast_therap.html
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Nonie aka AD wrote:
LauraLizzie wrote:

LauraLizzie can you explain exactly how this works?

Unless you are just trying to reduce the swelling/inflammation by causing blood vessels to constrict and move away from the surface of the skin temporarily, I don't see how ice/cold can address the causes of acne and treat it.

I left the book at work but I am talking about icing acne lesions. Not a laser but frozen water. I can't recall the exact reason Dr F. said to do it, just that it would help.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Nonie,

I completely agree that pore size cannot be permanently changed by icing the face or heating the face. Pores can **transiently** become a bit more open or a bit less open, including in response to temperature.

And yes, dermatologists themselves seem to be confused on the issue of pore size versus pores opening more or less:
https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/693827-can-we-use-steam-to-open-up-our-pores-is-there-any-side-effects-of-it-such-as-aggravating-our-pimples.

Surprisingly, there is little research on temperature and pore size in the scientific literature. But the dermatological research that I could find on PubMed confirms that pores can open a bit more or less. For instance, in the case of sweating (heat-induced), skin conductance increases,
"...which could be ascribed to the additional process of pore opening...."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20230512

Moreover, not only heat, but also ultrasound can open pores:
"Ultrasound alters the skin porous pathways by two mechanisms: (1) enlarging the skin effective pore radii, or (2) creating more pores and/or making the pores less tortuous"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11288100

Moreover, it is undisputed that heat is known to enhance transdermal penetration through multiple mechanisms: "...Heating at 42-45 degrees C also enhanced the percutaneous absorption dramatically..."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10774255

So fundamentally, if you are increased in increasing or decreasing movement of substances across the skin surface, you can do this through temperature. This is my point.

5% products discount

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:37 am      Reply with quote
An ice cube can soothe pimples, sunburns, and skin inflammation. It reduces redness and swelling and numbs the pain. A face massage with ice cubes can brighten your complexion by boosting circulation. Ice cubes with milk or cucumber can even exfoliate your skin. To relieve puffy eyes, make green tea ice cubes for instant relief. Ice cubes can also prevent wrinkles by tightening the skin. It’ll also create a smoother surface for makeup.There are only minor side effects of it. However, if you keep thse things in mind you should be grand. Don’t rub the ice cubes for a longer time on the skin. It may have adverse effects.
Sometimes when you rub the ice cubes directly on the skin it may cause redness or clogged pores.
Do not use more than two ice cubes.
robert.brown98765
5% products discount

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:33 am      Reply with quote
I don’t completely agree with the fact that Ice cube glows skin. It’s a myth. Here’s what happens. You begin your day in the usual way. Perhaps you wash your face, perhaps you shower—steam open those pores. Now you get an ice cube from the freezer, wrap in in a fine handkerchief, wait a minute for the cube to start melting into the fabric, glide it over your skin, this tighten those pores up for a while until dust falls in or you sweat. Unlike muscles, pores doesn’t have elastic property. Dirt and dead cells can make them look bigger which is why exfoliating and using a deep cleansing mask may minimize them over time. But cold water will not. Moreover, ice cube facial massage in the cold morning is freaking! On other hand, my dermatologist suggested me to follow a proper sleep wake cycle, diet, exercise and hygiene lifestyle. I’d suggest you to visit a dermatologist or simply take a second option to find beauty and health videos.
It is very important to take care of skin. What are the experience of other forum members?
cd33
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
Washing your face with ice water can increase heart rate variability which is a good thing for overall health.
http://psycnet.apa.org/buy/2015-44394-001

I've often wondered if it could increase subcutaneous fat and make the face fuller and more youthful looking.

The only downsides are possible broken capillaries and the discomfort.

I did try contrast showers for a while (hot water, then cold). It is awful while doing it, but it feels great afterwards. It's very good for insomnia (you get sleepy after). I wish I could say it got easier to do over time, but I found just the opposite. It got to the point where I could no longer bring myself to turn the faucet to cold.
Deborah An
5% products discount

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:43 am      Reply with quote
cd33 wrote:
I've often wondered if it could increase subcutaneous fat and make the face fuller and more youthful looking.

Can you explain this statement cd33?
cd33
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Deborah An wrote:
cd33 wrote:

Can you explain this statement cd33?

As we age we tend to lose subcutaneous fat from the face; over the rest of the body, fat goes from being evenly distributed under the skin to forming deposits in certain specific areas (inner thighs, under the upper arms, around the waist).

I've noticed that long-distance open water swimmers tend to have fat distributed more evenly over the body and have wondered if this is an adaptation to cold exposure. I have not found any studies that support this idea. Older long-distance swimmers tend not to look particularly young for their age, however. Sun damage (and perhaps chlorine-induced damage) might be obscuring any positive effects from cold acclimation.

{There are studies that show that cold acclimation does cause an increase in the amount of brown fat in humans, which is good for overall health.}

~~
Edit: I take back what I said about long-distance swimmers not looking particularly young for their age. Diana Nyad looks great for her age (I didn't realize how old she was a few years ago when she swam from Cuba to Florida - 64!), even with all the sun exposure. Only one case though, and her appearance is probably due to a number of factors (exercise, healthy diet).
So I can't draw a conclusion...
cd33
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:33 am      Reply with quote
File this under 'counterintuitive'...

Recently I've been looking into cryolipolysis (brand name CoolSculpting). Exposure to cold at a particular temperature for a particular duration of time causes fat loss - so I suppose one should be careful with cold application. I stand by my observations on distance swimmers, however.

In looking into cryolipolysis, I found this post on a DIY method:
http://fellrnr.com/wiki/CoolSculpting

So for around $31 for a thermocouple plus another $37 for a Platypus bag - I might get my thigh gap back?! I'm gonna try it!
naha1
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
I can tell you what I do, and my pores look GREAT afterwards.

I use a clay mask (powdered clay, bought in bulk, mixed with water, or juice, or whatever liquid you feel like using).

Then after the mask dries completely (it will make your face twitch towards the end), I run a few icecubes over my face.

My pores look tiny and my face is glowing all day when I do that. I really need to do it more often. It's a go-to beauty routine when I want to feel pretty.

So clay mask + ice cubes does indeed make my pores look smaller, and skin rosier.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |