Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Tretinoin(RetinA) under eyes (bad idea) permanent damage? :(
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
beautyandrage

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:36 am      Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

I am 30 years old and recently applied Tretinoin 0.05% to my face for three nights in a row, for anti ageing purposes. I applied moisturiser before and after, and applied sunscreen in the morning after washing my face.

After day 3 I noticed my under eyes were red and stinging and had become wrinkled, I now have very prominent lines under my eyes when I smile, and new fine lines have appeared. I look much older.

I realise I should never have used it for 3 days straight, and I know now that I should not have used it under my eyes. Lesson learned, believe me. I never want to use Tretinoin again.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if your under eyes ever returned to the state they were in before you started using Tretinoin? I didn't have many wrinkles to start with, I wanted to use it for prevention more than anything. So much regret.

I feel depressed when I look in the mirror, and I'm worried that this will continue to get worse. I have stopped using the product completely, and I am using Nivea moisturiser constantly to hydrate the area. Any help would be much appreciated. Really hoping that someone has had a similar experience with a positive ending!
Thank you for reading x
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:03 am      Reply with quote
Okay so first things first. Were you prescribed it or did you just purchase it? You see there is reasons its a prescribed medication and not everyone tolerates it identically and that is why there are different forms (i.e. microgel, gel, cream etc).

You don't say which ones you tried, but Retin A can be applied everywhere. I have used it on my lids for the last 40 plus years and wouldn't be without it.

Now Retin impacts people differently and at different times, but the good news is that your skin can and will return to its previous state, but it needs downtime and gentle care and attention. Using it 3 day sin a row isn't good for anyone starting out and most people would have similar adverse effects - however all is not lost. Your skin will continue to grow and develop throughout your life so all is not lost.

I know its fearful when things like this show up but the good news is that change is always possible. Resting your skin, allowing it to become healthy and repair itself and hydrating yourself is a really good idea. If you had applied moisturizer before and after, that would to some degree have stopped it penetrating deeply, so its likely this is just the upper derma reacting to it.
beautyandrage wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am 30 years old and recently applied Tretinoin 0.05% to my face for three nights in a row, for anti ageing purposes. I applied moisturiser before and after, and applied sunscreen in the morning after washing my face.

After day 3 I noticed my under eyes were red and stinging and had become wrinkled, I now have very prominent lines under my eyes when I smile, and new fine lines have appeared. I look much older.

I realise I should never have used it for 3 days straight, and I know now that I should not have used it under my eyes. Lesson learned, believe me. I never want to use Tretinoin again.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if your under eyes ever returned to the state they were in before you started using Tretinoin? I didn't have many wrinkles to start with, I wanted to use it for prevention more than anything. So much regret.

I feel depressed when I look in the mirror, and I'm worried that this will continue to get worse. I have stopped using the product completely, and I am using Nivea moisturiser constantly to hydrate the area. Any help would be much appreciated. Really hoping that someone has had a similar experience with a positive ending!
Thank you for reading x
beautyandrage

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:15 am      Reply with quote
Hello, thank you for replying Smile

Quote:
Okay so first things first. Were you prescribed it or did you just purchase it? You see there is reasons its a prescribed medication and not everyone tolerates it identically and that is why there are different forms (i.e. microgel, gel, cream etc).

I used the cream, brand name Retrides. I purchased it without prescription. I'm very aware that I only have myself to blame...

Thank you for the reassurance Smile I have read some horror stories online about permanent damage from Tretinoin. But I have also read advice from experts stating that it will not cause permanent damage. I wasn't sure what to think, and I got myself worked up with anxiety. I'll continue moisturising and hopefully with time, my eye area will be back to normal.

If anybody has a similar experience with their under eyes, please do let me know!
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
This is a case where more is definitely not better. I tried to using it three different times before a doc told me how to minimize side effects.

First of all, I would start with .025%., use it every 4 days. When your skin is comfortable with that, use it every 3 days, then 2, then every day.

Use only a tiny amount. A blob the size of a pea will do your entire face, a little less for the neck, and pea size for the entire upper chest. Dispense the entire amount for your face on the back of your hand and then distribute tiny amounts around your face (three on forehead, a few on cheeks, etc.) then blend it in for homogenous distribution. Careful in the folds, easy to get too much there. Same for neck and chest.

Like TM I have used it on my eyelids for years without any problems. I once asked my pharmacist how much would be dangerous aside from irritated skin and he said very safe and most of it absorbed in the first 15 minutes. Dunno if there has been a study, but I did feel reassured.

Wait until you are completely healed before commencing the new protocol.

Don't fret, you will come back to normal.

best, mis
beautyandrage

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:18 am      Reply with quote
mismis wrote:
This is a case where more is definitely not better. I tried to using it three different times before a doc told me how to minimize side effects.

First of all, I would start with .025%., use it every 4 days. When your skin is comfortable with that, use it every 3 days, then 2, then every day.

Use only a tiny amount. A blob the size of a pea will do your entire face, a little less for the neck, and pea size for the entire upper chest. Dispense the entire amount for your face on the back of your hand and then distribute tiny amounts around your face (three on forehead, a few on cheeks, etc.) then blend it in for homogenous distribution. Careful in the folds, easy to get too much there. Same for neck and chest.

Like TM I have used it on my eyelids for years without any problems. I once asked my pharmacist how much would be dangerous aside from irritated skin and he said very safe and most of it absorbed in the first 15 minutes. Dunno if there has been a study, but I did feel reassured.

Wait until you are completely healed before commencing the new protocol.

Don't fret, you will come back to normal.

best, mis

Thank you for your message, your reassurance helped a lot! I have been moisturising my face a lot, and I can see improvement now. I think I will give Retin A a break for a while. And when I return, I will leave my under eyes alone, just to be on the safe side!
Larky
5% products discount

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:54 am      Reply with quote
There is nothing wrong with Retirides. It can be potentially better than Retin-a because it contains Vitamin E instead of butylated hydroxytoluene. Did you buy it from Farmacia Tristaina?
wendykimonodate

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
My dermatologist Dr Daniel Chang, says Asians tend not to respond well to retin A.

So for my undereyes, he recommends Rejuran, a mini delivery of PDRN to repair and rejuvenate my dark eye rings.

The ant bite treatment is done monthly and so far, I like what I see.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |