Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oils cause aging?!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nyx001

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone heard this? Supposedly oils that are polyunsaturated aka PUFA oils (worst are those high in omega 6 or linoleic acid) are too unstable (particularly against sunlight) and go rancid and oxidize and cause free radicals which speeds up the aging process! Research by a guy named 'Ray Peat' (who FYI was talking about ingesting highly refined vegetable oils not putting cold pressed unrefined oils on your face) is being cited in multiple blog articles online. It is also being stated that oils don't actually do anything to really moisturize your face. My favourite oil, safflower oil, is considered to be one of the highest offenders since it is very high in linoleic acic. This is upsetting considering I always read it was good for the skin and PREVENTS signs of aging. Plus I use oils because pretty much every single moisturizer I've tried (yes even organic ones. Most of them use coconut oil and essential oils which my skin can't handle) have broken me out or caused an allergic reaction (I'm sooooo sensitive. On me simple simple simple is the only way. Mild unscented cleanser and oils. That's it. Any time I try to introduce a serum it's a mess. They always seem to have some ingredient my skin doesn't like). Now I am looking to prevent signs of aging (which sucks that I can't use serums) and this isn't helpful at all.

I also read an article by a guy that says they AREN'T aging you if they are cold pressed... but he is selling products...

I am so confused!
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:25 am      Reply with quote
No, I'm not familiar with this man and his studies. I've been checking it out and there's quite a bit to work through...the least of which is topical oils.

Hmm...I'm really not an oil person and don't have dry skin but had just recently started using pomegranate seed oil w/Vit E because it was the only oil that seemed not to break me out (and, in fact, healed breakouts) and made my skin look healthier.
With its high linoleic acid content it would be an offender according to this. But that also wouldn't be counting all the products we all have that include some sorts of oils in their ingredients. So many of them do.

I'm going to try and research this a little bit more before I jump the gun. Most of his studies seem more internally focused than topically. But it's sure something to think about and a lot of studies there to digest..

Anyone else familiar with these studies?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:27 am      Reply with quote
this guy was discussed some time ago, and a lot of his opinions he makes out to be factually based but there was a poster who actually informed people that it wasn't factually based at all just his opinion.

His main gripe was about eating EFOs from memory.

For me I have severly dry skin prone to eczema, and I need to moisturize. I tend to favour oils above other things simply because they don't irritate my skin like moisturisers do and they are usually edible too. I like the idea that putting something non toxic on my skin can be eaten too with benefits.

A lot of it is scaremongering. I seem to recall it was discussed in great depth a year or so ago. Have you searched under the name?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:39 am      Reply with quote
I've just searched myself and I can't find it - but it may have been on a different forum. Anyhow like most things, I think if you believe something to be true, you will often search for evidence that proves it to be so.

For me, I find if I don't use oils to moisturize my skin suffers. I did go to Doctors one time and was given a prescription for a moisturizer called Cetaphil which is dermalogically tested but it really didn't suit my skin and it felt dry.
havana8

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:25 am      Reply with quote
There are quite a few posts on the forum regarding the Ray Peat diet. Using this search parameter in google should help you find them:

ray peat -redirect site:essentialdayspa.com/forum

HTHs!
Nyx001

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses. Supposedly in his research he cites older studies. And he mainly talks about ingesting refined heat treated oils.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:59 am      Reply with quote
I think with everything else, everyone's skin will react differently to oils - I think I've narrowed my favorites down to a few - I love hemp seed oil (mix the tiniest drop in w/ either my moisturizer or foundation, grapeseed and marula.... they are light, easy to blend, and just add such a pretty natural glow to my (aging) face! Me and coconut oil never had a good relationship! It clogged my pores, made my skin AND hair dryer and just wasn't for me. When the winter comes I will use Rosehip Seed oil and Cacay Oil.... Love them both.

For me, I've only seen a benefit once I found oils that worked for my skin.

xoMaria

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Almond oil - can slow down the aging process and wrinkles. Vitamin E, D and K help skin restore and maintain elasticity, and promote better regeneration. Natural almond oil is rich in phosphorus, zinc, iron and magnesium. Almond oil is a natural UV blocking agent.
i like Almond oil
Amelia_wise

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
It comes from petroleum, and it forms a sort of film over the skin, clogging pores and hindering the skin’s natural ability to cleanse itself. With extended use, it can encourage acne and actually irritate and inflame skin. The result is an aging effect that can make fine lines and wrinkles much more visible. Crying or Very sad
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
When I was learning Aromatherapy, we were taught to add a few drops of Vit E into the blended oil to prevent oils from turning rancid too quickly. We certainly notice some oils go off more quickly than others.
jewipipil
5% products discount

Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
This something totally new to me. I'll do a research on it.
Mickyrain

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:55 am      Reply with quote
hi all

never heard of this. what i understand is, sun rays will cause damage to our skin and contribute to our aging process.
That is why we all MUST put on sunscreen to prevent pigmentation & aging conditions to our skin.

Do go facial once a month to have a deep cleansing. Depending on your skin condition, u can choose the treatment that is best suits your skin.
Take vitamin E everyday as it can also helps to prevent aging

Can google anti-aging treatment in your country and see which one has the best reviews.

Radium medical aesthetics in singapore is quite reputable
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
If it is referring to oils going rancid, then use jojoba oil because it is a "liquid wax" and extremely stable.

Please try with 1-2% vitamin E added as a blend.

Nyx001 wrote:
Has anyone heard this? Supposedly oils that are polyunsaturated aka PUFA oils (worst are those high in omega 6 or linoleic acid) are too unstable (particularly against sunlight) and go rancid and oxidize and cause free radicals which speeds up the aging process! Research by a guy named 'Ray Peat' (who FYI was talking about ingesting highly refined vegetable oils not putting cold pressed unrefined oils on your face) is being cited in multiple blog articles online. It is also being stated that oils don't actually do anything to really moisturize your face. My favourite oil, safflower oil, is considered to be one of the highest offenders since it is very high in linoleic acic. This is upsetting considering I always read it was good for the skin and PREVENTS signs of aging. Plus I use oils because pretty much every single moisturizer I've tried (yes even organic ones. Most of them use coconut oil and essential oils which my skin can't handle) have broken me out or caused an allergic reaction (I'm sooooo sensitive. On me simple simple simple is the only way. Mild unscented cleanser and oils. That's it. Any time I try to introduce a serum it's a mess. They always seem to have some ingredient my skin doesn't like). Now I am looking to prevent signs of aging (which sucks that I can't use serums) and this isn't helpful at all.

I also read an article by a guy that says they AREN'T aging you if they are cold pressed... but he is selling products...

I am so confused!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |