Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Best Anti Aging Supplements- Doctor's orders
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
aelsass
5% products discount

Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
While browsing this forum, I have seen a lot of posts about supplements for aging as related to skin health, many without much science or references to back the recommendations.

If the primary causes of aging are glycation, oxidation, inflammation and methylation wouldn't it make sense that the best supplements to fight aging would address some or all of these issues?

Can someone tell me how an oral dose of MSM or hyaluronic acid would reverse cell damage or aid in its preservation?

I know that many people have posted having good results with these, and I'm not meaning to step on anyone's toes. However, as this is an area I'm extremely passionate about (as most of us are, I assume) I obsessively read research done by leading doctors in this field, such as Dr. Andrew Weil (writes for Prevention magazine), Dr. Nicholas Perricone, Dr. Peter Pugliese (Circadia skincare who often writes for SkinInc) among many others. I don’t believe any of them list MSM or HA as a top oral supplement.

All of the supplements they recommend address one of the above-mentioned causes of aging and are backed by some pretty impressive science! These include, but are not limited to: Alpha lipoic acid, Benfotiamine, Carnosine, DMAE, Coenzyme Q10, EFA’s, Acetyl L-Carnitine and Conjugated Linoleic Acid (this one is mostly for weight loss).

I know many people take EFAs, DMAE and CoQ10, but the others are definitely worth a looking into IMHO.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:15 am      Reply with quote
ww.imminst.org this forum has many very well informed members. This is a better forum for people interested in life extension, antiaging etc....quite a few of the members even practice caloric restriction in the extreme sometimes in an effort to keep weight down and extend their life(its a proven fact that you will live longer if you are a little underweight)Notice there are never any fat people that live to be over 100?I stumbled across this board by accident when I was googling ,its a very unusual forum to say the least but you can get lots of info and good answers on that board.
aelsass
5% products discount

Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Thank you lucyluc!! That's a very interesting forum- I've been looking for something like that. Thanks again for sharing it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
It certainly is interesting! However, I just can't imagine why anyone would want immortality. And just how does it work? Do you plateau, then just remain at a certain age? Or do you just keep on getting older and older so that eventually you might be say 1,025 years old?

I've just returned from visiting family - my father-in-law will very soon turn 100 and my own father is 92. Believe me, there's nothing much to be said for living this long - both of them are on their last legs and there's not much joy in life for them, even though their health could be considered to be good. I would think that most people would be happy to continue living if they could remain at the age of 30 but not at 100!

As for supplements, I've never really come across any medical professionals that really recommend them, most just recommend a healthy diet and lifestyle. (Except, perhaps, for Glucosamine which is often recommended for joint health - but someone on the Forum said that in Canada it was considered dangerous). I take Vitamin C, Zinc and Fish Oil regularly and sometimes also take MSM or Hyaluronic Acid. However, I have to admit that I'm inclined to think that the whole vitamin industry is just one enormous cash cow and that many of us are paying for supplements that we don't really need. In fact, the packaging tells us as much - it says that if you eat a healthy diet, vitamins have little or no benefit.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:16 am      Reply with quote
Lucyluc, thank you for that link to a VERY interesting site, imminst.org. I've spent hours learning and enjoying everything from apples to zebras!
LLucy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:21 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I have to admit that I'm inclined to think that the whole vitamin industry is just one enormous cash cow and that many of us are paying for supplements that we don't really need.

I've wondered about this also. Many times I've read that supplements are only useful if one is deficient in a particular nutrient(s), otherwise there is no benefit. If one Eats a wide range of healthy food, supplements are not needed. Without an extensive range of testing, how would you know if you might be deficient in one area or another?

I have mild arthritis and have noticed some improvement in taking MSM supplements. When I took a collagen/HA supplement last year I did see a slight increase in my lips, so I do think it may be of benefit in terms of hydrating and plumping the skin from within. Nothing drastic though.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a big supplement-taker, mainly because I've been searching for ways to feel and look better as I age.

Recently, I've noticed a change in the medical professionals I see.

1. My new PCP suggested I take glucosamine/chondroitin, and specifically stated that Costco brand is effective, and you do not need to be a member to use their pharmacy (to include supplements).

2. My gyno prescribed vit D due to deficiency, and advised me to take DHEA (hormonal balancing), fish oil (cholesterol regulation), and red yeast rice (cholesterol regulation).

3. My derm and esthetician both take coffeeberry supplements.

4. On CNN, Dr. Sanjay Gupta recently described the latest studies on red yeast rice for cholesterol. It works like a statin drug without the side effects. He seemed impressed, and even went so far as to give the appropriate dosage (1800 mg daily) on TV. Previously, Drs. Oz and Roizen advised against red yeast rice because it wasn't "regulated". I wonder if they will change their stance any time soon?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
where do you get red yeast? I have heard of rice bran supplement used to fight tumors....
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
4. On CNN, Dr. Sanjay Gupta recently described the latest studies on red yeast rice for cholesterol. It works like a statin drug without the side effects. He seemed impressed, and even went so far as to give the appropriate dosage (1800 mg daily) on TV. Previously, Drs. Oz and Roizen advised against red yeast rice because it wasn't "regulated". I wonder if they will change their stance any time soon?

Wonder if you can take this while taking a statin drug?
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
where do you get red yeast? I have heard of rice bran supplement used to fight tumors....

we order from vitacost:
http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Red-Yeast-Rice-600-mg-240-Capsules

rileygirl wrote:

rileygirl, I'm sure any doctor who is familiar with the potency of red yeast rice would say no. DH's cholesterol level was approximately 280, and he was prescribed a statin drug. When the drug gave him muscle pain and weakness, he switched to red yeast rice. We didn't know any better back then, and he only took 600 mg a day...but his cholesterol went down to 210.

To explain its potency, I'm quoting Drs. Oz and Roizen from their book "You: Staying Young", published in 2007.

Quote:
It's been touted as a supplement that can help lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels, as well as increase health HDL cholesterol. The rumors are true because the active ingredient is identical to a commonly used pharmaceutical satin drug. But because herbs are harvested without tight controls, you don't know exactly what you're getting inside the pill. For the same cost, you're better off using another supplement such as niacin or pantothenic acid.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
lucyluc wrote:

we order from vitacost:
http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Red-Yeast-Rice-600-mg-240-Capsules

rileygirl wrote:

rileygirl, I'm sure any doctor who is familiar with the potency of red yeast rice would say no. DH's cholesterol level was approximately 280, and he was prescribed a statin drug. When the drug gave him muscle pain and weakness, he switched to red yeast rice. We didn't know any better back then, and he only took 600 mg a day...but his cholesterol went down to 210.

To explain its potency, I'm quoting Drs. Oz and Roizen from their book "You: Staying Young", published in 2007.

Quote:
It's been touted as a supplement that can help lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels, as well as increase health HDL cholesterol. The rumors are true because the active ingredient is identical to a commonly used pharmaceutical satin drug. But because herbs are harvested without tight controls, you don't know exactly what you're getting inside the pill. For the same cost, you're better off using another supplement such as niacin or pantothenic acid.

Thanks, Nadjazz. I'll see what my doc says when I see him. Maybe I can try the red yeast rice instead of the Lipitor.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
An ex boyfriend of mine had cholesterol over 260 decreased it to less than about 180 by using red yeast rice, niacin and another product polycosanol (not sure of the spelling). He is a surgeon and did NOT want to take statins - he thinks they are truly poison.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:15 am      Reply with quote
http://heartdisease.about.com/b/2007/08/10/apparently-some-red-yeast-rice-still-contains-lovastatin.htm does this mean you cant buy the real thing anymore?
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:41 am      Reply with quote
lucyluc, that's an interesting article and it certainly brings up more questions! As far as effectiveness goes, DH started taking RYR after 2007, so I'm assuming he has lovastatin-less version. But since we always thought it did contain statin, DH and I have always ensured we take coQ10 as well, since statin drugs deplete your coQ10 levels. Now I am wondering if that is necessary?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
lucyluc,
I found a more current article regarding lovastatin and RYR. It looks like it's pretty much "take at your own risk" nowadays.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/06/16/cholesterol.red.yeast.rice/index.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:53 am      Reply with quote
Well to some degree, there will never be a one size fits all when it comes to aging, because no two individuals age exactly alike. Even so called related aging problems, appear in different categories (genetics, lifestyles etc) and so you could have twins, who take the same supplement, and it helps one but not the other.
I’m also not so sure its correct to say the primary causes of aging are only glycation, oxidation, inflammation and methylation. For example, if you look at things like free radicals from the sun, they don’t fall into any of those categories, even though they can be a by product of oxidation to some degree, so when treating free radical damage you can look to a wide range of sources that can counteract different bodies.
No one is saying (that I’m aware of) that MSM or hyaluronic acid could reverse cell damage – and it would be dishonest to state so, and there is no evidence of such, however what people are saying is that by taking MSM or HA they have found benefits in their general well being, and thus this in turn impacts their appearance and their ability to move easily. MSM is really great for example if you have joint issues, as it’s a naturally occurring sulphur (but not every MSM product is identical either – some are mixed with things like calcium and Vit D for example).
Even if you do look at the professionals, you often find that they take a wide range of supplements. Dr. Andrew Weil and Dr. Nicholas Perricone are very open and have shared a lot of the supplements they have taken (and these seem to grow each time they are asked). If you look at Perricone’s book, he advocates a lot of supplements and I remember seeing him on a tv interview and he stopped the interview to take some of his supplements and had a huge little compartment tray full of tables and gel pills – that was alarming to me, but he said he feels good taking them, so he is obviously getting benefit from them and I suppose in the business he is in, he has to look good. They may not list either MSM or HA as a top oral supplement or even an antiaging supplement – but it doesn’t mean they are opposed to them as you would think.

EFA’s are not as essential as people would believe. Look at Ray Peat’s stuff online – it is widely available – he argues that EFAs are counter productive and actually cause aging and ill health if taken over time.
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:15 am      Reply with quote
I take tons of supplements and some days feel like just throwing them out - I know magnesium is the best for me for muscle relaxation and sleep
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:56 am      Reply with quote
Q10 from 25 years old. Add Reservertrol from 35 years old.
Omega 3-6 fish oil from any age.
1g Vitamin C (plus bioflavonoids) is non-negotiable at any age.
Iron for ladies. Zinc for men.
nene
5% products discount

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Check out research on Niagin and Pterostilbene. The research is compelling and I have added both to my regimen.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:48 am      Reply with quote
Can someone tell me how an oral dose of MSM or hyaluronic acid would reverse cell damage or aid in its preservation?

I'm not sure either MSM or hyaluronic acid can reverse cell damage. My thinking is that you need vitamins for that (i.e. E, C or even Vitamin A) or some compound like copper peptides (but do research here). Its hit and miss for some folk.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |