Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Am I Masking too Much?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:03 am      Reply with quote
Well its not actually my comment but what I have heard a few of skin care pros say. I seem to recall they were referring to deep cleansing masks, and their logic was that if you use a product daily it actually is too strong and the reason it encourages laziness is because it interrupts the natural skin rejuvenation process. That’s all I remember but I did think it was interesting, and heard Perricone talk about it somewhere too.

CatIndigo wrote:
Theresa, that's an interesting comment that IF you use a mask everyday THEN, it makes your skin lazy. I really don't 'get' that.

After all, that would be like saying that IF you use a cream or cleanser or toner everyday, THEN, it makes your skin lazy.

But I do agree that one can really overdo harsh treatment of the skin, such as overdoing deep cleansing masks or drying or peeling treatments. And I admit I'm terrified of the 'dermaroller' and other types of treatment and won't go near them.

I use, as I said, at least one and often two masks a day. They are my 'spa' time. They are not harsh masks but, I think, nourishing masks.

So, Biologique Recherche's Masque Vivant is nourishing. Its Biomagic Mask is cleansing - but mild, and I make it milder by mixing it with their VIPO2 cream masque and a few drops of serum.
And so on. They are nourishing masks. And I use other masks as well - but I rarely use the hard cleanser masks since I don't need them. And again, they can be too strong. Then, I use the Biologique Recherche serums as well.

Now - do they work? That is, IF I didn't have this regime, would my skin be different? Of course, I don't know the answer to that! I don't know if my genes play a role.

I do know that mild cleansing - and the Clarisonic [which I suppose is the deep cleanser] - and really good products give me a smooth clear skin. And I have a tendency to oily, congested skin, but - with this regime, it's under control.

I think one has to work out one's own personal regime - and listen to one's own skin. Not easy to do with all the promises of perfection if you only use such and such product!
CatIndigo
5% products discount

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:23 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary - yes, I agree that deep cleansing masks everyday would be stressful on the skin and could make it over-reliant on the treatment. But we treat our skin everyday - even with the normal washing - and I think we have to assist our skin more, as we grow older.

But the skin changes - even every other day as well as during the years. I used to use only Erno Laszlo products; I had very oily skin and was at the top range of his Oily Type. I never dared to used moisturizer!

But- my skin changed. And, we even have to treat our skin differently depending on the climate, and even on the type of water in our area [soft water, hard water].

I no longer use Laszlo; my skin is now combination and most definitely needs moisturizer.

As for the masks, as I said, this is my relaxing time and the type of mask varies by the day. I'd use a cleansing mask no more than once or twice a week. The rest of the time would be soothing or moisturizing or brightening or whatever ritzy name the product is given.

Does it work? I have no idea. I know that I have to be careful not to overdry and not to overmoisturize my skin. And yes, I'd say that my skin now relies on this pampering treatment. I've travelled and gone for a week without masks - and I'm fine, but I don't think I could go for a week without my serums and lotions!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:15 am      Reply with quote
It really depends. I mean, I'm in my late 60's now and definitely feel that the time I spent caring for my skin in my younger years paid off big time. I also have worked with the same derm nearly 40 years now (please God don't let that man retire as I will be lost).

With the masks, I was only sharing what I've heard others say. If someone finds using it daily works - then that's great and they should keep doing it. As I said, I don't understand it all just recall the basics idiot speech they did.
CatIndigo wrote:
TheresaMary - yes, I agree that deep cleansing masks everyday would be stressful on the skin and could make it over-reliant on the treatment. But we treat our skin everyday - even with the normal washing - and I think we have to assist our skin more, as we grow older.

But the skin changes - even every other day as well as during the years. I used to use only Erno Laszlo products; I had very oily skin and was at the top range of his Oily Type. I never dared to used moisturizer!

But- my skin changed. And, we even have to treat our skin differently depending on the climate, and even on the type of water in our area [soft water, hard water].

I no longer use Laszlo; my skin is now combination and most definitely needs moisturizer.

As for the masks, as I said, this is my relaxing time and the type of mask varies by the day. I'd use a cleansing mask no more than once or twice a week. The rest of the time would be soothing or moisturizing or brightening or whatever ritzy name the product is given.

Does it work? I have no idea. I know that I have to be careful not to overdry and not to overmoisturize my skin. And yes, I'd say that my skin now relies on this pampering treatment. I've travelled and gone for a week without masks - and I'm fine, but I don't think I could go for a week without my serums and lotions!
CatIndigo
5% products discount

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:31 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary - agreed, if it works, then, stick with it. And I agree that caring for one's skin pays off in later years.

I'm in my late 70s and as I said, for years I used Erno Laszlo and was at the 2 o'clock level of his types, i.e., very oily. In my late 50s, that changed but I also found that I had to acknowledge the water I was using [soft vs hard] and the climate [humid vs dry etc].

At any rate, I've switched to Biologique Recherche [BR]. I'm very impressed by that line. I am also extremely allergic to various brands [even the most expensive, such as La Mer, Sisley, Lauder etc]. The BR masks can be mixed with each other and that's quite a bonus, for you can reduce the drying effect, add to the hydrating and so on. I've tried Sisley masks - and nothing. Not worth the money.

I tried the Valmont line of masks and they had no effect. So, the ones I stick with are the BR line, and there's a fabulous Eve Lom brightening sheet mask, a few inexpensive Karuna sheet masks, and the Emma Hardie Moringa cleanser/masque.

I've never been able to find a really great skin care expert; I wish I lived in New York where I hear there are some great ones!

I think that masks and serums have an intensive effect; they assist the regular creams by their concentration. That's why I like them.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's important to also consider what other actives you're using... I use Vitamin C twice a week, lactic acid twice a week, and retin a micro twice a week. Every two weeks I use a MUAC Mandelic Acid or I get microderm. The seventh day, I let my skin rest.

The only time I use a mask is to use my peel-off firming mask from Glamglow (it is SO moisturizing).

It's important to keep in mind how many actives you're using, you don't want to overdo it.
CatIndigo
5% products discount

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:14 am      Reply with quote
EllaElise - I agree; it is important to be aware of the other skin care methods you are using.

I don't use any of the methods you have mentioned; i.e., I don't use Vitamin C or lactic acid or any form of retin - and so on. I've never used any of it. I'm very 'green' in those areas and am unsure of their use.

But if I did, then it would be, in a way, a form of treatment comparable [but obviously stronger] to a mask. And so as you say, one would have to be careful with using masks as well as those other treatments.

I am guessing that you don't use masks? And use these treatments instead? Could you explain why you use each one?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
For me, deep cleansing mask once a week. May be one additional application on the T-zone (so twice a week on Tzone, once a week all over).

With a hydrating mask, you can go as often as every night. Because there is no difference in the formulation between a hydrating mask and a rich cream Just remember to remove the excess after 10 -15 minutes.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |