Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

HELP with skin care routine for oily skin!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Joe333

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:31 am      Reply with quote
I have very oily skin and it is prone to breakouts consisting mainly of whiteheads and blackheads, primarily on the nose, upper lip and under the eyes. In addition to not knowing whether I am removing the breakouts correctly (using a towel to scrape off smaller whiteheads after cleansing, or leaving on Clearasil rapid acting treatment for bigger bumps, or using a blackhead extractor tool after opening pores with a hot shower/steam), I would like to know how to minimize large pores left behind following such removal as well as how to prevent breakouts in the lomg run (especially whiteheads as I have heard blackheads always make their way back sadly).

In more detail, here is the routine I need advice on: I cleanse, tone and moisturize (except moisturizing on bigger/stubborn blemishes) my face every morning and do the same every night except using night cream instead of a day moisturizer. I use cold water for all these washes. On Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday nights I follow a longer routine instead of a normal wash in which I take a hot shower and use my daily cleanser in the shower followed by an exfoliator, which I leave on for a minute, and then rinse (all within the hot water to open my pores up and let the exfoliator get in them). I then step out the shower, dry off and extract blackheads (primarily on nose and under eyes) using a loop tool. Next, I apply Origins Active Charcoal Face mask, leaving it on for 10-15 minutes, and removing with a towel soaked in cold water. Lastly I place an ice pack on my face for 10 minutes if I have time (if not, I just skip the ice step) and then spray an unscented toner on before applying my night cream (avoiding problem areas with acne and instead putting Clearasil there to leave over night).

Am I doing it right?

More specific questions:

Removing blemishes: scraping off smaller whiteheads with a towel is okay?

Where I see bigger/stubborn blemishes I can't remove easily, I don't apply moisturizer or night cream there (after cleansing and toning) instead applying Clearasil Ultra Rapid Action treatment cream (overnight as well as theoughout the day). I repeat this until the blemishes go away, which takes many days and darkens skin tone in those areas - is this the right approach?

For blackhead removal on 3 nights in the week, is my order of events optimal or should my protocol be rearranged (currently: cleanser and exfoliator in hot shower, followed by manual extraction with a tool, followed by a clay face mask, followed by ice treatment if time, and ending with toner sprayed on and a night cream)?

Here is the list of products I use, is there anything my routine can really benefit from adding/replacing a current product with (and/or is there anything I should remove)?

Products I use:

Dessert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash

Thayer's Alcohol free unscented toner Beauty on Earth Face moisturizer Era Organics Facial Moisturizer (night cream) Kyoku men's facial exfoliator Origins activated charcoal mask Pure biology face mask Clearasil rapid action treatment

Lastly, I don't currently use salicylic acid in any product as I've heard skin can become dependent on it. Perhaps using it from time to time when my skin is acting up would the fastest way to deal with acne? If so, what product would you recommend using it in - an exfoliator, day moisturizer, night cream, or spot treatment?

Thank you so much for your attention to all this - if you can even help with some of the questions that would really help as I'm quite confused!
Joe333

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:20 am      Reply with quote
After doing this for about 4 weeks, I have noticed that the frequency of whiteheads and blackheads has gone down, but there's an increased redness in the nose/under eye area... also bigger bumps are still appearing in new places (tho if I apply Clearisil early enough they don't becomes too prominent).

Any recommendations?
hippy786

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
I've got somewhat oily skin, and really oily hair, it's almost as if I have to take a shower everyday... It's really annoying.
missbabypaw
5% products discount

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Joe!

I'm glad you're seeing some improvement, that's great! It is always difficult making suggestions for skincare without being able to actually look at someone's skin up-close, but here are a few suggestions.

Firstly, I'm not so sure about using a towel to "scrap off" whiteheads as you have described it. This could be spreading bacteria to other parts of your skin. It also could be irritating your skin depending on how much pressure you are using. Instead, I would take your index fingers and wrap them in tissue and extract your whiteheads that way. You want to place your fingers on the sides of the whitehead, and with gentle pressure, press *down* first and then *in* toward the whitehead and then *up*.

Once you have extracted a whitehead, re-position your tissues so that you are always using a clean surface for each new extraction.

Do not use too much pressure! The whitehead should come to the surface of the skin with gentle pressure. If it doesn't, it is not ready to be extracted. So leave it, and move on.

You can also use this method to extract blackheads instead of your comedone extracting tool if you wish. But if the tool is working for you (and sounds like it is), keep using it! But again, as with the tissue method, do not use too much pressure, and clean your tool after each extraction (you can wipe it with a bit of your toner, but I personally like to use tea tree oil mixed with a bit of water)!

Secondly, I am slightly concerned about at least one ingredient in both your day and nighttime moisturizers. Coconut oil! Now, some people with oily skin respond well to coconut oil, while others simply can not tolerate it (leading to more problems). In my experience (which is, of course, anecdotal), most cannot. In fact, I think in general there are better solutions for oily/acneic skin than coconut oil anyway.

So at this point it is important to know what you are personally looking for your moisturizers to do. Do you want your moisturizers to assist in the treatment of your oily/acneic skin? Do you want to make sure you are hydrating your skin (assist in the replenishment of water-loss)? Are you using your moisturizers as a preventative measure against aging? Or all of the above? One we know that, we can start looking at what might work better for you instead of what you are currently using.

As to the redness you are experiencing in the nose/under eye area. This could be a result of over-treating or over-stimulating your skin. Perhaps you are using your products too often or you are using too much pressure during extraction. Tough to say exactly.

However, I would say lessen the frequency of treatment in these areas. Maybe to 2x a week instead of 3x. If you're still seeing redness, drop down to 1x a week. Treat all other areas where you experience breakouts 3x a week as you currently are (as again, this seems to be working for you).

Also, let's talk about water temp. We want our skincare routines to start with stimulation and end with restoration. Cleansing, exfoliation, and massage are usually part of the stimulating portion while treatment masks and creams are usually part of the restoration portion. That's a pretty simplified way of looking at it since some treatment masks can also be part of the stimulating portion.

So for your purposes, you'd want to cleanse your skin using lukewarm water (not hot!). When you are using your cleanser and exfoliator in the shower, allow the steam from your hot shower to assist in softening the skin but again, rinse with lukewarm water (so maybe let the hot water "rest" a bit in your hands before rinsing off).

Then after your extractions and mask, continue to rinse with cold water (not too cold!) as you are currently doing. As for the ice packs, not too sure about these at night. You want whatever products you are putting on your skin last at night (your Clearasil and night cream) to be given an opportunity to really absorb into the skin and ice packs before might be hindering this benefit somewhat.

I would save the ice packs for morning use on areas that are still a little red/inflamed after cleansing and before toning.

Finally (and I know this is a lot!), keep in mind that our skin is often a reflection of what is going on internally, although external factors certainly play a part as well. The main causes of oily/acneic skin tend to be: a genetic predisposition (it's hereditary), a hormonal imbalance, improper skincare, and diet (this can include an improperly balanced diet and/or food allergies).

Now, a genetic predisposition and improper skincare can all be addressed by making sure we are treating our skin well (as you are currently doing). As for a possible hormonal imbalance or food allergies, it might be worth looking into with your doctor to get tested for these if you feel you have tried everything and the challenges persist.

I do have some other tips if you are interested, especially with regards to what what *might* work better for you. I'd especially like to know what you are specifically looking for in your daily and nighttime moisturizer. But I feel this is becoming rather long now, and I can tend to go on and on about skincare!

Good luck to you!
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
For whitehead extraction, I have seen a gadget that vacuum sebum out of the pores. There are various brands for sale on Amazon and some come with great customer reviews. Approx $20 so worth looking into.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Would you considering adding a mild exfoliating toner to your routine?
Reason why is I hear a lot of manual extraction and scrubbing right now with you routine. Adding an chemical exfoliant hoping means less "touching" the face.

Mandelic Acid 10% is good and gentle too.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |