Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Novice here. Could someone critique my 2 recipes?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
be_infinity

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hey chickadees.

I've just made my first 2 skincare concoctions and would love, love, love if someone with a bit of experience could let me know whether these things are a) safe to use, and b) likely to be effective!?

Here goes:

1. 2% BHA Peel

aloe gel 32g
rose water 32g
willow bark extract 20g
gotu kola extract 5g
olive leaf extract 5g
white tea extract 5g
glycerine 1g
rose oil (Turkish) 1 drop
lactic acid 2 sprinkles (to bring pH to 3.5)

TOTAL WEIGHT 100g
final pH: 3.5

I just put this on my face for the first time an hour ago and I can feel it on there, like a thin layer.. not sure I really like the sensation, do they always feel like this?

2. Toner/Serum thingy..i think!?
> %'s are by weight

aloe 18%
rose water 20%
glycerine 9%
chamomile water 8.2%
ALA 4.6%
vegetable collagen 4.6%
white tea extract 4.6%
oilve leaf extract 4.6%
niacinimide 4.6%
comfrey extract 4.6%
burdock extract 4.6%
wasabi extract 4.6%
bladderwrack extract 3.8%
SOD 3000IU
hyaluronic Acid 1.8%
elderberry extract 1.8%
chamomile extract 1.8%
calendula oil 1.8%
resveratrol 0.9%
horse chestnut extract 0.5%
jasmine absolute 1 drop
vitamin E 1 drop
baking soda - a sprinkle to bring pH to 6

TOTAL WEIGHT in my case was 110g
final pH: 6

Notes:

this was meant to be a toner, but I just finished making it and it's too thick for a toner, more a bubbly, moussy opaque pinkish serum (hello baking soda and a million actives!Very Happy )

haven't had the courage to try it yet... is it going to melt my face off!? I have 150ml of the stuff now so I really hope not!!!

how long do you think my preservative system will hold up? I've got the wasabi extract, olive leaf extract, elderberry extract and VE, plus an Infinity Bottle that claims to preserve contents for 6-7mths.

Thanks so much in advance. This is an awesome community, so glad it exists and hope to share my triumphs and failures as I go along. x
hydrogeogirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hey b_i

The mild peel would feel tingly, as long as you don't have a negative reaction to it. Saying that, good idea to test your concoctions on a small area of skin for 24 hours to make sure there is no allergic reaction. If none, you can use the serum concoction with all the beautiful ingredients. Keep it in the fridge, use clean practices and use until gone and maybe keep an eye on it in case it goes off.

Enjoy your new products Smile

61 in 2/2021. Author of "Skin Remodeling DIY, An Introduction to the Underground World of Do-It-Yourself Skin Care" May 2015. Sunscreen/skin protection, DIY C serum, firming serums, Retin-A, OCM, FlexEffect from 2002, lymphatic massage, 6 rolls/year 1.5 mm derma roller from 2008, Infrared/Red LED from 2009, Galvanic/Ultrasound intermittent
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
Formula one:

The name implies there will be salicylic acid which would have solubility issue but I see that you substituted it with lactic acid. That should work. Ditch the Rose oil. It has no real benefit in a peeling product.

Formula two:

WOW... very extensive and confusing.

For a toner, Ditch the vitamin E, Calendula and Jasmine oils as you have no emulsion system, the oils will just float to the top after resting.

There is no preservative system so do not include so many actives.

Stick with the ones I underlined.

Do not need Sodium bicar because if you use distilled water, it will be pH7. Sodium bicar will take it to an even higher pH which is NOT what you want.

In fact, since you already have lactic acid, add 0.5g so it will be slightly acidic and it will inhibit bacteria growth.

be_infinity wrote:
Hey chickadees.

I've just made my first 2 skincare concoctions and would love, love, love if someone with a bit of experience could let me know whether these things are a) safe to use, and b) likely to be effective!?

Here goes:

1. 2% BHA Peel
aloe gel 32g
rose water 32g
willow bark extract 20g
gotu kola extract 5g
olive leaf extract 5g
white tea extract 5g
glycerine 1g

TOTAL WEIGHT 100g

I just put this on my face for the first time an hour ago and I can feel it on there, like a thin layer.. not sure I really like the sensation, do they always feel like this?

> %'s are by weight

aloe 18%
rose water 20%
glycerine 9%

chamomile water 8.2%
ALA 4.6%
vegetable collagen 4.6%-- a protein, will go off without preservatives
white tea extract 4.6%
oilve leaf extract 4.6%-- will turn product to a cloudy brown colour
niacinimide 4.6%
comfrey extract 4.6%
burdock extract 4.6%
wasabi extract 4.6%
SOD 3000IU
hyaluronic Acid 1.8%
elderberry extract 1.8%
chamomile extract 1.8%
calendula oil 1.8%
resveratrol 0.9%
jasmine absolute 1 drop
vitamin E 1 drop

Notes:

this was meant to be a toner, but I just finished making it and it's too thick for a toner, more a bubbly, moussy opaque pinkish serum (hello baking soda and a million actives!Very Happy )

haven't had the courage to try it yet... is it going to melt my face off!? I have 150ml of the stuff now so I really hope not!!!

how long do you think my preservative system will hold up? I've got the wasabi extract, olive leaf extract, elderberry extract and VE, plus an Infinity Bottle that claims to preserve contents for 6-7mths.

Thanks so much in advance. This is an awesome community, so glad it exists and hope to share my triumphs and failures as I go along. x
be_infinity

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:09 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips arielstar! Will take them on board for next time. In the end I didn't like either of those formulations so your advice will undoubtedly come in handy when I next feel inspired to give it another shot.

arielstar08 wrote:
Formula one:

The name implies there will be salicylic acid which would have solubility issue but I see that you substituted it with lactic acid. That should work. Ditch the Rose oil. It has no real benefit in a peeling product.

Formula two:

WOW... very extensive and confusing.

For a toner, Ditch the vitamin E, Calendula and Jasmine oils as you have no emulsion system, the oils will just float to the top after resting.

There is no preservative system so do not include so many actives.

Stick with the ones I underlined.

Do not need Sodium bicar because if you use distilled water, it will be pH7. Sodium bicar will take it to an even higher pH which is NOT what you want.

In fact, since you already have lactic acid, add 0.5g so it will be slightly acidic and it will inhibit bacteria growth.

be_infinity wrote:
Hey chickadees.

Here goes:

1. 2% BHA Peel
aloe gel 32g
rose water 32g
willow bark extract 20g
gotu kola extract 5g
olive leaf extract 5g
white tea extract 5g
glycerine 1g

TOTAL WEIGHT 100g

> %'s are by weight

aloe 18%
rose water 20%
glycerine 9%

chamomile water 8.2%
ALA 4.6%
vegetable collagen 4.6%-- a protein, will go off without preservatives
white tea extract 4.6%
oilve leaf extract 4.6%-- will turn product to a cloudy brown colour
niacinimide 4.6%
comfrey extract 4.6%
burdock extract 4.6%
wasabi extract 4.6%
SOD 3000IU
hyaluronic Acid 1.8%
elderberry extract 1.8%
chamomile extract 1.8%
calendula oil 1.8%
resveratrol 0.9%
jasmine absolute 1 drop
vitamin E 1 drop

Notes:

wenning
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
Goodness, you're too good. I think it's great to make your own cosmetics.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |