Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Article: Dermarolling Causes Premature Aging?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:18 am      Reply with quote
Just posting this here to see what people think of this blog post by Wendy Ouriel (who has a masters in cellular biology and her own skincare line)in which she claims that dermarolling can cause collagen breakdown, premature aging and even cancer!

Here is the link:

https://www.oumere.com/blogs/news/how-dermarolling-causes-collagen-breakdown-premature-aging-and-possibly-cancer

Here main argument seems to be that the collagen produced by dermarolling is inferior and that the process creates scar tissue. She also claims that dermarolling will "desensitize the receptors responsible for the signaling of collagen synthesis"

She uses various analogies to make her point such as comparing the skin to the fabric of a much worn and wash t-shirt!!??

I think her argument about how dermarolling accelerates skin aging is about how by forcing our skin to renew itself we are speeding up the lifecyles of our cells and shortening our telemores to a point where they are no longer able to renew the skin. I think she is basically refering to the hayflick limit which doesn't apply to epidermal stem cells, seems quite an oversight by a cellular biologist!

I am not knocking her very expensive product line I am sure she has some nice skincare but she has also warned against using vitamin C serums becasue she believes it is pro-oxident and retinol becasue she claims it destroys the extracellular matrix of the skin and causes fragile, sagging and thin skin. As a long term user of prescription strength retinoids (15 years) that hasn't been my experience. It is also apparently fine to use her own chemical exfolient as it magically transforms according to your skin and only exfoliates what needs exfoliating and doesn't cause cell death.

As far as I know Wendy is 30 or 31 and developed her skincare for herself after her once perfect skin was damaged by commecially available products and is now selling this skincare under her brand Oumere. I can't help but feel she is attempting to seperate herself from the crowd in what is a very saturated market which has been challenged by brands like The Ordinary and it may well turn out to be a smart move on her part. I think it does seem like she has created a product line and philosophy based around her own skin which seems to be very fine and dry but is forgetting that a multitude of varying genetic factors or enviormental factors impact on peoples skin and that what works for her won't necessarily work for everyone.

My main issue though is that she seems to be ignoring a lot of proper, scientific research on collagen induction therapy (dermarolling) not to mention retinoids and vitamin c in order to hawk her own products!

Note: I don't personally do dermarolling yet although its something I am interested in doing in the future.
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
I am familiar with her blog and products. I’ve tried several of them (the travel set) and they all very nice, clean products that I believe did well for my skin. As for her views on Vit c and Dermarolling, I disagree with both. In fact, I do both and have on and off for years.

I’m not sure what her motive is...I mean how come she is the only one currently saying Dermarolling is bad when so much science shows otherwise? How does that serve her..why is her theory on it different from other researchers?

Speaking of science, I thought the hayflick limit applies to all cells including skin? But I definitely could be wrong. Just thought I read that in context with skin cells/care/longevity somewhere.

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply, I don't get her take on vitamin C or Dermarolling either. I feel like she is just going by what suits her which is perhaps fine if you are a 30 year old with great skin, she might not feel that way at 40+.

I think with the hayflick that even though skincells do have a hayflick, there are always new skin stemcells so you don't run out of new skin which is what the exfoliation fear mongering is about.
sassyinpink
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:01 am      Reply with quote
is vitamin c that important?
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
I have thought on and off about that post of hers so today went and looked at it a little more closely. Her cited research at the bottom was compiled primarily of research sources on skin cancers, except for one other article from the 80s.l (which was not on microneedling).

This research study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28690124/?i=6&from=/28869385/related
presents a review of all primary research and results to date on the effects of microneedling and it is definitely in favor of it.

I have no idea Wendy’s objective for slamming microneedling like she does, but I’d like to see her using research showing that microneedling in particular causes degradation to skin. Just using the argument that the collagen formed is bad because it is created in response to stress does not make sense. Dr Fernandez who started all this decades ago explains that the micro*needles are so fine that you slip into the deeper layer where different rejuvenating (and inflammatory) factors are triggered with very little damage/stress to epidermis along the way. Of course inferior needling mechanisms can damage skin but high quality rollers or the Derminator should function more as he explains.

Plus Wendy compares skin to a t-shirt. Skin is not inanimate. It is dynamic, responsive organ. I’ve read similar logic statements from plastic surgeons comparing skin/facial structures to rubber bands or elastic bands that get worn out from use. And this as their reasoning for why facial exercises are not helpful and in fact harmful. And that is just not the case for the majority of people.

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sure she's otherwise a bright gal, but there's so much wrong with her logic on this topic.

When something doesn't seem right, it's because the person relaying the information wants you to buy their stuff instead of the other guy's. :P
LabRat67

Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:54 am      Reply with quote
There's lots of Products for sale on that Website that the cynical ;-) may see as being in competition to the very inexpensive benefits of DIY micro trauma (derma rolling, derma pens etc)

Not one single photograph of the first visible signs of the increased ageing that she claims. Not one, yet the early evidence should be widely available from those of the older and/or skin damaged people, who will have already depleted those pesky telomeres

Cancer? Again, let's see the first evidence. It should be here by now, especially as it seems half the world is using needling. It isn't.

This 'gimmick' is transforming my skin, I have said good bye to atrophic Acne scars that ruined my life for over 30 years. It feels teenage-tight again. I am even getting new dark hairs around my LONG receded scalp-line. Given my age, I'll take this 'gimmick'

Wendy has nothing to sell me. Who'da thunk ?

[edit]. The clever psychology of the opening image of a university-standard microscope was neat huh ? Absolutely GUARANTEES they are one of the 'Big People' and 'cleverer' than us. No Wendy, no...
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi LabRat67, it sounds like you have good results. What kind of dermaroller are you using and are you using a serum with it? Thank you.
LabRat67

Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Emu oil applied neat. Problem is my dog is nuts about it and wants to lick it. He has a great coat...

I generally use hand-rollers bought on auction sites, nothing fancy. For my front hairline I use an AUGFELD branded Derma pen, with 36 pins at 1.5mm.
bellabeauty

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:23 am      Reply with quote
Wow I was about the start a thread on this topic after having found this article but you already knew before me. Laughing

I guess I was googling for potential scar tissue as a result of dermarolling and stumbled upon 'oumere's website which is a bit alarming, but as you all say, seems to be more like a theory by scrambling tidbits of scientific knowledge together to make a claim.

I did google this because I noticed a scar on my face and don't know what caused it. It could be an insect bite, but still , it made me wonder if I should lay off the dermarolling because it also made me think of glycation but that seems to cause different effects..
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |