Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

::Review:: Cellex-C Advanced-C Serum (17.5%)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
I finished off a bottle of the Cellex-C Advanced-C Serum a few weeks back so I thought I'd report back about it. First off, Cellex-C has not been one of my favorite serums so far, which include the Vivier serum, the PSF Skincare serum (the newer formulation) and the JB C&C serum. I have tried multiple samples of the Cellex-C serum before and have also used their vit-C eye serum and have always found it too drying. After using this bottle up, it is still not my favorite texture-wise, but the results were sure there!

I actually got a nifty little set of this as a generous GWP from EDS probably well over a year ago. The set came with a 15ml bottle of the C serum and also a 15ml bottle of the hydrating B complex. I had other serums to use at the time, so this was lying in the cupboard (albeit in the dark) unopened until I realised one day that it had a use-by date of July '05 (I realised this sometime in July I think Rolling Eyes ). So, when I finished off my JB C&C serum, I started on this (yes, past its use-by date, I didn't want to waste it! Embarassed ). By the time I opened it it was already pretty yellow in color, which worried me slightly so I decided to not be stingy with this and use the 4-5 drops as directed (which really is excessive IMO).

As expected, I found this drying (even though I am pleasantly surprised to see some hyaluronic acid in this), or at least I found it drying on the beginning. This has been my experience with other Cellex-C and Skinceuticals serums in the past. For the first week, I'd apply the Advanced-C serum, feel my face go tight, then apply the hydrating gel and then moisturiser and my face would be back to normal. The interesting thing was that after a couple of weeks, it was as if my skin had adapted to this. I found that I no longer had to use the hydrating gel and that my face only felt a little tight after application - something that went away completely when I applied moisturiser. So, I was pretty happy, and rather surprised, about that Smile

Result wise, this has been great! I did see a difference with using this after the JB C&C serum, my face was even more radiant and clear. Again, being 28, I cannot really comment on the effectiveness of this on lines, I measure the ability of the vitC serum by how radiant my skin looks.

What I find very interesting is that while I was using this serum (applied after my beloved Eminence Organics Wild Plum toner, which has Salicylic Acid in it) my skin has probably been clear the longest (in terms of pimples etc popping up out of the blue). When I started back with the JB C&C serum which has a texture that I *much* prefer, I have had occasional pimples (I am still using the Wild Plum toner before the JB C&C). This could be completely coincidental, but it could also be that the watery drying texture of the Cellex-C serum actually contributed to keeping my skin clear. Which, of course, blows my whole "preference of C serum based on skin type" theory kinda out of the water. Perhaps the more watery serums, while not feeling as nice, are actually good for my skin? Woa - I'm confuzzled! Laughing

One thing is for sure - the Cellex-C serum *does* turn color quicker than the Vivier, JB C&C, CellularSkinRx and probably the PSF Skincare too. After opening it to its well advanced yellow state (again, issue with use by date I think), I found that it got darker by the time I almost finished the 15ml bottle (keep in mind that the retail size is 30mL I think). I am still torn about what this really means - I would not use a serum if it was dark orange in color (this serum didn't get to that stage) but is just yellow bad. Dark yellow? I used to think so but this serum was effective right to the end - or at least I was seeing results from it right to the end.

Btw, another good thing about this is the included grape skin/seed extracts (was very happy to see those on the list of ingredients as they're good antioxidants), the bad thing of course is the price....

~~~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~~~
Details from the bottle:

Ingredients:
Water, Ascorbic Acid*, Acetyl Tyrosine*, Zinc Sulphate*, Glycine*, Grape Skin Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Grape Seed Extract, Ergothioneine, Bioflavonoids. (*Patented Cellex-C complex)

Note:
"Advanced-C Serum will darken with time due to a bio-chemically controlled reaction. This gradual oxidation is essential to the potency of L-Ascorbic Acid and will not significantly affect the efficacy of this product when used as directed."

Directions:
"Once every 24 hours, apply 4-5 drops to face, neck, and chest. Follow with Hydra 5 B-Complex and moisturiser of choice".

Caution:
"Avoid direct contact with eyes. Keep product away from direct sunlight".

The above post is a review of the following product available at EDS:
Cellex-C Advanced C Serum (30 ml / 1 oz)
Cellex-C Advanced C Serum (30 ml / 1 oz)

Cellex-C Advanced C Serum is a new formulation which contains 17.5% vitamin C (the High Potency Serum contains 10%) in a combination of free form and hydrolized ascorbic acid to maximize visible benefits to the skin in the shortest possible time.

crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Wow Mabsy, thanks for that very thorough review! Anything about Vit C is always of interest to me. Your "preference of C serum based on skin type" theory has not been debunked IMO because you compensated for the initial dryness with more hydration, and later on your skin adjusted with just your regular moisturizer. Drier skins might not fare out as well even with the precautions you took. So, no need to be "confuzzled" Very Happy Love that term! It describes perfectly how I feel about most skin care products Laughing

This is OT, but - I'm interested now in the Eminence Wild Plum toner you mentioned. I did a search but could not find anything. Any chance you'll be reviewing that too? Pretty please? Whenever you get a chance, of course. I don't mean to add to your "things to do that are piling up while I'm on holiday" list Wink

5% products discount

Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:35 am      Reply with quote
thank you Mabsy for such an informative review. I have oily skin and for the last couple of weeks I hve been torn about which serum to try. After reading your review I think i will go ahead with the cellex-c serum first...Thanks again

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy,
Can you compare the effects of Cellex-C Advanced and Vivier 20%?
Thanks Smile

Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Crazyskin - one review of Eminence Wild Plum toner coming up..... in a few days. Sorry for being so brief on here today but I've got some crazy work stuff happening today (hate deadlines!).

Wild Cat - hmm that's a very difficult question to answer because it's been a while since I used the Vivier 20% and it's hard to compare to "back then". I just don't have a clear picture of what my skin looked like, I know that I was very happy with the results. I then started using the JB C&C and was happy with that but could tell that the Vivier 20% was more effective. I think I had a bigger difference going from JB C&C to Cellex-C than when going from Vivier 20% to JB C&C (other direction) so I'm leanding towards saying 'yes' but that's a very subjective statement. I'd have to start using the Vivier right now (and I don't have one unfortunately and my mother has just finished hers as well) to be able to tell. I still like the texture of the Vivier more *sigh*

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Mabsy Very Happy No rush, whenever you find the time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy,
Thanks for the review. Now you make me really want to try Cellex. This is going to my holiday wishlist. Do you think its possible that using hydrating B serum together with C, would make C even more effective? Confused

Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:49 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
Mabsy,
Thanks for the review. Now you make me really want to try Cellex. This is going to my holiday wishlist. Do you think its possible that using hydrating B serum together with C, would make C even more effective? Confused

Sorry Wild Cat, not sure about that. I was under the impression that the hydrating gel was really only to counteract the dryness caused by the serum and increase moisture in general.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Mabsy,
I just saw the following description on EDS's Cellex-C section.

Contains important amino acids—proline and glycine—known to be important for collagen formation.
Contains ellagic acid, found naturally in many fruits, and known to suppress lipid peroxidation, helping to inhibit the development of age spots.

Benefits
Facilitates better absorption of vitamin C.
Oil-free, crystal clear gel which instantly gives your skin a silky smooth texture. Ideal for all skin types.
Skin feels more resilient and extraordinarily smooth to the touch. Perfect base for all types of make-up.
Restores youthful translucency and buoyancy to the skin.

So, this claim is not true? HA only incresees moisture? Many Vit-C serum now contain HA, I just thought HA might have some other use than merely retaining moisture.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:02 am      Reply with quote
Hmmmmm.... interesting. I have no idea sorry!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Wild cat-

Can you explain what you mean when you highlited the bolded parts is that a good thing or a bag thing?

Also mabsy, were you implying vivier is better than cellex-c?
mazinga
5% products discount

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:41 am      Reply with quote
does this product whitens dark spots from sun on face?
mazinga
5% products discount

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:43 am      Reply with quote
does it have to refregerated once opened?
I notices with other vitamin C essence that it get oxided and turn brown.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:38 am      Reply with quote
mazinga wrote:

Hi Mazinga - there is a mountain of stuff on C serum - just do a search (upper right corner Smile )..Vitamin C doesn't need to be refrigerated but some do put it in the fridge..some C's "turn brown" more quickly than others..Cellex C changes more quickly than Vivier perhaps since Vivier uses a carrier for the C (there is a mountain of controversy around VC efficacy/shelf life)..anyways - do a search and you'll likely find all the answers to any questions you've ever had about VC..good luck!
Pudoodles
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the great review, Mabsy! I am wondering if you could please compare PSF to the other vit C's in terms of effectiveness? It is my first vit C and I don't know if it is the best. Thanks!

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:24 am      Reply with quote
Some people have said that it's ok to apply vitamin c during the day (serum in particular), however, it always truns brown leaving a bronwnish tint on my face. is there any good vitamin c product does have this problem?
Kiwi bird
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the Review,

I tried Celex- C a while ago and found it too harsh for my skin and I ended up breking out and had little lumps develop under my eyes. The products I tried include
The Line Smoother
Fade away gel for sun and age spots(I think it was this product that caused the lumps)[/list] and the Clear Complextion Mask - which made me break out after I used it.
Maybe I gave up too quickly after using these. Has anyone else had similar issues?
Confused
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:11 am      Reply with quote
mjs, I'm pretty sure that if the serum has actually turned brown it's not doing you any good any more, so you may want to get a fresh one!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Mabsy, the colour change in the Cellex-C serum doesn't effect its efficacy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I also love Vivier texture but I was told that in the summer, it might be a good idea to use Cellex-C Vit. C because it is perfect for those humid conditions. I do plan to stop using Vivier in late spring and purchase Cellex-C Vit. C., then go back to Vivier at the end of the summer.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
mazinga wrote:

i store that in my drawer, as long as you keep it is dark cool place, it should be fine.
mazinga
5% products discount

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
Pudoodles wrote:
mazinga wrote:

Hi Mazinga - there is a mountain of stuff on C serum - just do a search (upper right corner Smile )..Vitamin C doesn't need to be refrigerated but some do put it in the fridge..some C's "turn brown" more quickly than others..Cellex C changes more quickly than Vivier perhaps since Vivier uses a carrier for the C (there is a mountain of controversy around VC efficacy/shelf life)..anyways - do a search and you'll likely find all the answers to any questions you've ever had about VC..good luck!
Pudoodles
Thank you! Laughing
mcaleung
5% products discount

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:57 am      Reply with quote
I love Vit C products. I've tried Cellex-C Advanced-C Serum and Skinceutical Vit C serum and found them too sticky. Recently I'm in love with SkinMedica Vit C complex. Although it contains silicone, my skin tolerates it well. My skin looks clearer from it with no breakouts. Great product!
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I personally prefer Skinceuticals and Vivier as they don't seem to oxidise as quickly. I do like the light texture of Cellex C but all the vit. c from its rane turns brown very quickly.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
My experience with Cellex-C Advanced-C Serum was great. Even though it already turn a little yellow when I first opened it. It still had very dramatic effect on my skin. The colour change didn't make the serum less effective. I now use Vivier 20% and I love it too. It is great for winter for my combo skin. After finishing the Vivier and as summer approach I will switch to IS Clinical Super Serum. Can never stop wanting to try new things Embarassed

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |