Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Adding preservatives to DIY
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:53 am      Reply with quote
After reading some posting about bacteria growth, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to buy some Germaben for the products I'm making??? I want to place an order for some other products from the personal formulator, HA, bottles, and I see that the Germaben isn't expensive. Is anyone else using this??? And if so, how much are you using.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, preservatives like Germaben do not garantee that your products will be free of bacteria. May be the best idea to make your creams in smaller portions. That way you use them faster and your products always will be fresh. For me, the whole idea of a home made products is that they are free of any kind of preservatives.
Lara Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Chrissie,

I think that Carekate uses Germaben. I tend to use Citric Acid, a bit of alcohol or other, more simple, preservatives.

The key is if you're making something that is going to be used up in a week or two ... or if you're keeping it in the fridge ... then a preservative isn't necessary.

Commercial products use a whole host of preservatives in order to extend the shelf life of their products ... but you certainly don't have to go that far.

I suppose that it depends upon what it is you're making and how long it's going to last you.

Also, the type of preservative you use has to suit the product you're making. I imagine that the Personal Formulator lists what sort of preparations Germaben is good for.

If you're also getting other stuff from there, it's certainly not a bad idea to get a preservative or two.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:27 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Also, the type of preservative you use has to suit the product you're making. I imagine that the Personal Formulator lists what sort of preparations Germaben is good for.

Here's what TPF says about Germaben II in their downloadable PDF catalog:

Description: Germaben II INCI: Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben (and)PropylparabenGermaben II is clear viscous liquid with a characteristic mild odor. It is readily soluble at a level of 1.0% in both aqueous solutions and oil/water emulsions. Germaben II is a convenient, ready to-use complete antimicrobial preservative system with a broad spectrum of activity. The solubilized combination of Germall II with methylparaben and propylparaben is effective against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria and against yeast and mold. Germaben II can be used without additional co-preservatives and is compatible with essentially all cosmetic ingredients, including surfactants and proteins at typical use levels of 0.3 – 1%.

It can pretty much be used in most DIY recipes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:20 am      Reply with quote
I use both germaben and citric acid. I am satisfied with both. They are inexpensive and you use a bit and someof the ingredients are good for skin. (I use germaben in my ACV and one glycolic cream I make (that is low pH so I don't think much would grow in it. I make most things in small batches but the ACV lasts about 6 weeks before germaben it got fermented smelling after adding just a bit it's been fine to the end).
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:49 am      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
I use both germaben and citric acid. I am satisfied with both. They are inexpensive and you use a bit and someof the ingredients are good for skin. (I use germaben in my ACV and one glycolic cream I make (that is low pH so I don't think much would grow in it. I make most things in small batches but the ACV lasts about 6 weeks before germaben it got fermented smelling after adding just a bit it's been fine to the end).

Hi. Any recommendation on how much germaben to add the ACV recipe on the DIY section??

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Carekate,

That's an interesting analysis from TPF's catalogue.

According to the Biochemistry of Beauty book, while she agrees with the statement you quote ... [so ... not my own expertise by any means] she also says regarding Germaben.

Quote:
Germaben II is soluable in formulations with less than 25% of an oil phase.

Germaben II-E is for formulations containing ingredients that inactivate parabens. It is good for emulsions with at least 25% oil.

Now, she also has a preservative called Germall Plus, liquid which is:

Quote:
Propylene Glycol and Diazolidinyl Urea and Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate. Use rate is .1 - .5%. It has no known incompatibilities and can be used with either water or doil dominant emulstions.

There are lots more preservatives etc in this book ... of course, understanding everything she says in this book is a bit of an exercise as well. I have to keep re-reading bits of it in order to get it into my pointed little head. Laughing

Mary

5% products discount

Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
I'm completely ignorant on the use of eo's but what about using grapefruit seed oil (not grape seed oil) as a preservative? Would this work? I've used it mixed with a lot of water as a light antibacterial toner per the recommendation of someone at my local health food store. What do you think?

Linda

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:42 am      Reply with quote
cush wrote:
I'm completely ignorant on the use of eo's but what about using grapefruit seed oil (not grape seed oil) as a preservative? Would this work?
Well, it's in the citric acid family so it would probably help some, but Sharky would probably be the better one to answer as she's fooled around with citric acids more than I (other than to make homemade bath bombs!)....

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |