Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DIY Conversion Calculators
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
OK, ladies, I am taking the plunge! I'm finally going to make my own vitamin C. This is my first DIY recipe besides using buttermilk (yes, I'm the one). Laughing

Many of you are outstanding mentors and probably already have conversion calculators. If not I found a great online set and hope they are useful to everyone.

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/store/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d46.html&lmd=38776.396968
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:11 am      Reply with quote
this is a great site with awesome info!!!! thanks for posting!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Your welcome, Chrissie! I noticed that you and Candy are already enjoying it. Keep spreading the news ladies, I couldn't keep this one a secret!
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Is propylene glycol available at this site? I couldn't find it....

And the l-ascorbic acid here seems to be more expensive than the one Carekate uses (but nevermind as long as it ships worldwide! Razz )

pnw, do you possibly know where i can get all ingredients for vit c serum and amber glass bottle given that i live in Hong Kong? It would save me a lot on shipping if i can get them all at the same place. Wink
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
CK, I am glad to hear that this company ships to your area! I'm sorry I do not know of any other sites - I'm still a newbie - but hopefully someone who does will jump in. The only thing I absolutely need to buy online is the propylene glycol. My local pharmacies and stores do not carry it. I am still trying to decide on which vitamin C powder to buy and if I want to get it from the personal formulator or if I want to get it at my local health food store in the vitamin section. We have a few stores in town that do sell the vitamin in powder form. Have you checked your grocers vitamins? Or do you have a vitamin store in your area? Our local natural health food store also carries the amber bottles so I am lucky. A tip: sometimes when I need a bottle, I'll buy some product cheap or on sale just for the bottle and dump out the contents and reuse it. HTH
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Oops, silly me. You asked about the propylene glycol not the vitamin C Embarassed Does the personal formulator not ship to Hong Kong? This is the site that many of us use and my understanding is that they ship worldwide as well.

http://thepersonalformulator.com

That is where you can get all the ingredients in one stop. And I have just been assured that the l-ascorbic acid from TPF is the same type as what Carekate uses.

On the other hand, back to finding things in your own area, I know that many pharmacies do not carry propylene glycol but are willing to special order a pint or so for you. They just don't have it on hand because they rarely use it. It may be cheaper than having it shipped to Hong Kong. And someone else here at the forum mentioned covering clear or frosted bottles with aluminum foil to keep out light. Sounds like a good idea to me. Find some vitamin C powder and you're in business! Cool

Hope I have helped some.
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks PNW! Surprised

I was not aware that TPF carries l-ascorbic acid too. So are these all I need to make the serum?

http://thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?products_id=1199

http://thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?products_id=358

Here in Hong Kong we don't have health food store or vitamin store I'm afraid. (though we do have places selling vitamin tablets...)

I'll try to cover a clear bottle with aluminium foil. Thanks for your suggestion! Very Happy
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:08 pm      Reply with quote
Yep! That's all you need. I just placed my order today. Great work CK! Hey, I just had another thought - you could just paint your glass bottle black.

I am hoping that 8oz prop. glycol and 4oz. l-ascorbic acid will last me a year at 1 batch per week. hope I did my math right. Rolling Eyes
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:55 am      Reply with quote
I'm actually making the serum for my arm.....(don't laugh if i seems silly.... Razz ) b/c there are quite a lot of freckles on my left arm (and I don't know why they concentrate on this arm, but it's DEFINITELY BETTER to be here than on the face Smile )

another question, is a glass bottle better than a plastic one? it's easier to get hold of plastic bottles.....
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:23 am      Reply with quote
pnw, do you know what the ratio between l-aa and PG is in the serum? I'm just very confused about different measurements (teaspoon and ml used in the formula, and oz used at the Personal Formulator)

I just found out that cobalt glass bottle is available at TPF. But the shipping cost is simply

USD$20.8 for an $8.87 order......... Confused
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Shipping from the Personal Formulator is high and they only use UPS (I hate UPS).

By the way PNW - thanks for the link to the converter. I have used this site, but didn't even notice this. And it's VERY helpful!! Thanks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Oh, CK, you got me. My husband did the math. He truly is my better half when it comes to numbers. That's why I thought the converters were so great and why I haven't attempted more DIY recipes. For ordering I just wanted to know, because each batch takes 1/4 teasp., how many 1/4 teasp. of powder I could get out of an oz. from the PF. I think it came to about 23 or so per oz. At one batch per week, that's 23 weeks and I wanted a year's worth so I doubled it. That would be 2 oz. But, I always like to have a little extra in case of spills, bad batches, etc. so I opted for the 4oz. So if my match is off, blame my SO. Laughing Personally, I would stick to glass. This is my gut instinct. Remember the distilled water, also.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:58 am      Reply with quote
CK, another great idea from Mary! Ask your local pharmacist for a glass amber dropper bottle.
Shelley01
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting the link pnw!

I was surprised by the statement that says, "AHA could make skin aging faster and long-term."

Has anyone else read or heard of that before?

Here is where I am pulling the info:

Ingredients that Should be Limited in Their Use
There are many cosmetic ingredients which do not exert a toxic effect as such, but may have unwanted effects if used at too high concentrations. Thus, such ingredients can still be used and can have favorable effects if added to cosmetics at the concentration as indicated. Some of them are mentioned below. In addition, the CIR Expert Panel has published a list of recommended limits for the use of a number of other ingredients which are still being widely used. You can purchase this list at CIR.

• Alcohol: frequently used as a solvent in cosmetics. If used at concentrations of 10 % or more, the skin can dry out.
• Sodium chloride (table salt): frequently used as cheap but effective thickener in cleansing products including shampoos or shower gels. If used at too high concentrations it can cause eye and skin irritation
Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA): skin care products containing high amounts of AHA exfoliate the skin removing wrinkles and exposing the younger skin cells beneath. As outer skin cells are exfoliated, the skin's protective barrier is removed, thus exposing premature skin to environmental damage. Therefore, use of AHA could make skin aging faster and long-term.• Bentonite: This porous clay able to absorb water is commonly used in cosmetic foundations and facial masks. At high concentrations, it may scratch the skin surface, clog pores, and dry out the skin.
• Formaldehyde: When combined with water, formaldehyde is used as a disinfectant, fixative, or preservative in many cosmetic products and nail care systems. Extended use at high concentrations is thought to be carcinogenic.
• Lanolin: Although widely used as emollient and emulsifying agent in creams and lotions, lanolin can be irritating to the skin and can cause allergic rashes.
• Mineral Oil: As a derivative of crude oil used industrially as a lubricating agent, mineral oil can not penetrate the skin, but instead forms an oily film over the skin to lock in moisture and dirt hindering normal skin respiration. Nevertheless, it is widely used in baby skin care products!
• Sodium Laureth Sulfate / Ammonium Laureth Sulfate (SLES, ALES): The CIR Panel has recently stated that SLES and ALES produce eye and/or skin irritation in some human test subjects. The severity of the irritation appeared to increase directly with concentration. However, SLES and ALES have not evoked adverse responses in any other toxicologic testing. It was concluded that both surfactants are safe as presently used in cosmetic products.
• Sodium Lauryl Sulfate / Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS, ALS): The CIR Panel has recently stated that and ALS are irritants in patch testing at concentrations of 2 % and greater. The irritation increased with ingredient concentration. In some cosmetic formulations, however, that irritant property was attenuated when SLS or ALS was combined with other surfactants. The longer SLS stayed in contact with the skin, the greater the likelihood of irritation. Thus, both SLS and ALS appear to be safe in formulations designed for discontinuous, brief use followed by thorough rinsing from the surface of the skin. In products intended for prolonged contact with skin, concentrations should not exceed 1 %.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:40 am      Reply with quote
pnw, thanks for answering my many questions!

I think I'll order the bottles from the Personal Formulator. And I'm now going through the DIY thread to see what else I can add to my order (maybe I can attempt other recipes if they're easy enough Very Happy )
Shelley01
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I answered my own question: no, AHA are not going to make you age faster! That is just what the FDA thought in 1996…..now they have come around and said AHA’s are fine as long as you wear your sunscreen. If anyone is interested (have a feeling many of you have already read this or maybe even posted this link):

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fdacaha.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, I answered my own question

I do that alot. Laughing Thanks for posting the update.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |