Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My 1st batch of Vit. C Serum - Dumb questions galore!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hey!

Well, I finally printed out Carekate's Vitamin C serum and it looks very easy to make...I'm just gonna start simple with the Vit. C powder, propylene glycol and distilled water.

However, since I don't have anything that measures milliliters, I went online to a conversion table and it says that 1 teaspoon equals almost 5 ml (4.92 ml). If that's correct, then between the 5ml of propylene glycol, 5ml of water and 1/4-1/3 tsp of Vit. C, then am I only making 2 teaspoons of serum at a time?

I'm totally NOT questioning Carekate's recipe...just my ability to convert measurements accurately! Laughing I really want to make the batch correctly, so if someone could tell me if I'm on the right track with this (or completely off base), I'd sure appreciate it! Or better yet, maybe there's a place I can buy metric measuring tools?

Thanks for your patience with this DIY newbie!

Mary Smile
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
I think you're on the right track, Mary. There are about 20 drops per milliliter, so this recipe makes approximately 200 drops. I use about 5 to 7 drops at a time, so that's enough for about 2 weeks. Better to make less and use it fresh since there is no preservative- its easy to put together anyway.
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much, Mimsy! It's been so long since I used a C serum that I forgot you only need a few drops, so I guess this isn't such a tiny quantity after all! And what you say about it being fresh makes total sense...

Okay...I feel better now! Laughing Off to order stuff from the Personal Formulator!

Mary Smile
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
To measure ingredients for the Vit C, I use an infant/child medicine measurer...its sort of like a dropper, but it has mls on it. I bought it at Walmart for less than $2.00, but I've seen them at Walgreens, CVS, etc.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, that's a great idea, Chrissie!

I'm going shopping tommrrow and I'll be looking for one.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
Chrissie wrote:
To measure ingredients for the Vit C, I use an infant/child medicine measurer...its sort of like a dropper, but it has mls on it. I bought it at Walmart for less than $2.00, but I've seen them at Walgreens, CVS, etc.

Those tiny syringes? I get them free at the clinic when I pick up my kids' prescription! I keep them for my DIY kitchen beauty adventures...

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome, Mary! Have fun putting it together Very Happy
Good suggestion about the dropper measure, Chrissie.
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:54 am      Reply with quote
Chrissie, that really is a great idea! I'll hit the Walgreens on the way to work and pick one up!

Again, much appreciate all the help and advice! I'm really excited to mix up and try my first batch... Smile

Mary
anbloom
5% products discount

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:26 am      Reply with quote
I plan on making my own vitamin C serum with the DIY recipe but had a question regarding application. I know it goes on after toner and before mositurizer but I am also using blemish serum from Juice Beauty after I use toner. Where should the vitamin C serum fit in?
Thanks!
~Alli
anbloom
5% products discount

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Reading all these Vitamin C serum postings what is the difference between l-ascorbic acid, and just ascorbic acid? thanks again!
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
I also "borrow" syringes from the place I work...nurse/hospital...get it??? But I wasn't sure about suggesting it. Do you know anyone who works in a dentist/drs/vet office???

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
Ali, your Vit C goes on before anything else, in the morning, after cleansing and toning, if you do that step... Smile
red_butterfly

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:14 am      Reply with quote
i just made my first batch of vitC serum, and the consistency is just perfect for me. for measuring the liquids, i used the small cup that goes with any cough/medicine syrup bottle, it has mls on it.
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
I got all of my supplies (thanks to all for your feedback!) and I'm ready to make my fist batch!

Just one more question if you don't mind...is it okay to use the DIY serum around your eyes? I'm assuming it is, since there are so many C-serums available for the eyes on the market. But for those who use this DIY formula in the eye area, do you put it everywhere, or just under-eye?

Thanks for your patience! I promise this is the last of my vitamin C quandaries...at least for now... Laughing

Mary
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Mary H. wrote:

Just one more question if you don't mind...is it okay to use the DIY serum around your eyes? I'm assuming it is, since there are so many C-serums available for the eyes on the market. But for those who use this DIY formula in the eye area, do you put it everywhere, or just under-eye?...

Mary

Sure it is! I do (did) it all the time. I pat the serum under the eyes and at the outer corners, and spread what's left on the upper lid as well.

I need to make more Vit C serum, but I have to lump many things I need together before I can contact Carrie because the postage is just outrageous - have to make it worth her trouble and my money!

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much, pumpingmummy...can't wait to try my first batch! I used to use a C-serum for the eye area, but it was super $$ and I just fell off the map with it. So, I'll be thrilled if this DIY version does the trick! Sounds like so many have had success with it, I have very high hopes... Smile

Mary
oli_d
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:26 am      Reply with quote
anbloom wrote:
Reading all these Vitamin C serum postings what is the difference between l-ascorbic acid, and just ascorbic acid? thanks again!

technically, the difference is at molecular level. one is a mirror image of the other. L-ascorbic acid is also know as vit c.

oli
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:

Ascorbic acid in it's active form is l-ascorbic acid. As the Vitamin C degrades, it becomes d-ascorbic acid.

That, at least, is my understanding.

l-ascorbic acid is often called "ascorbic acid" ... certainly most chemical companies label their product with simply "ascorbic acid" on it. If you call the manufacturer, however, you'll probably discover that it IS l-ascorbic acid ... the active form.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Since 5 ml is 1 tsp. why not just use a teaspoon from your kitchen to measure it? Why would you need to buy special supplies to measure a teaspoon?
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
You're absolutely right BYRG,

I just use my ordinary, kitchen measuring spoons ... although I rinse it with alcohol first ... just in case. Smile

Mary

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |