Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
HELP!!! I"M USING OBAGI!!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
dlfinlvr

Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone!

I am new and I have a few questions. I am 55, soon to be 56 and have a medium complexion. I have no breakouts, have broken capillaries, mostly on my cheeks, few on my chin, and will be having them taken off soon. Spa recommended Nu Derm for me (per Dermatologist) The wrinkles I have are not real deep, around the eyes, forehead and marrionette lines. Is this the best system for me? I have been using ROC for about 8 months. (Deep wrinkle repair and the multi stuff). I don't have any brown spots also. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
dlfinlvr wrote:
Hi everyone!

I am new and I have a few questions. I am 55, soon to be 56 and have a medium complexion. I have no breakouts, have broken capillaries, mostly on my cheeks, few on my chin, and will be having them taken off soon. Spa recommended Nu Derm for me (per Dermatologist) The wrinkles I have are not real deep, around the eyes, forehead and marrionette lines. Is this the best system for me? I have been using ROC for about 8 months. (Deep wrinkle repair and the multi stuff). I don't have any brown spots also. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

You don't have any pigmentation areas and/or sundamage, dlfinlvr? I think Retin A by itself will diminish your fine lines. Nu Derm is pretty harsh if you don't have any pigmentation problems. Did they say why they recommended that system to you? Don't get me wrong. I think the Nu Derm system is one of the best out there, but I think it is overkill if you are just wanting to diminish fine lines.
dlfinlvr

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
Rileygirl,

They never told me anything about the system. I had asked about it because they had a lot of brochure lying about. I thought this system was for fine lines which I have. What strength of retin a would you use to start with? Maybe I should just ask for that! Also can you recommend a good eye cream?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:37 am      Reply with quote
dlfinlvr wrote:
Rileygirl,

They never told me anything about the system. I had asked about it because they had a lot of brochure lying about. I thought this system was for fine lines which I have. What strength of retin a would you use to start with? Maybe I should just ask for that! Also can you recommend a good eye cream?

If you haven't used Retin A before, you should probably try the lowest percent of 0.025 cream. Nu Derm will work on fine lines, but it really is aggressive and you will be red, flaky, etc. for quite a while. I would go on to Obagi.com and read up on the Nu Derm system. Just remember for the Retin A that it can take up to 6 months to start seeing anything but most improvement will come with nightly use for 1 year.

As for the eye cream, I haven't found one I am thrilled with yet! I have been using the TNS Night Repair and have gone through 3 sample tubes and I haven't seen any difference yet, but there are some who love it and have great results from it! Hope you let us know what you decide to try!
jjrelax88

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:35 am      Reply with quote
I started Obagi on Monday night. Woke the next morning with VERY RED, swollen face. So swollen that it looked like I had been bee stung 100 times on the face. This was just one application. My skin was so painfully hot and itching, I had to put ice packs on it to even get a small amount of sleep the last few nights. Now the skin is SUPER tight. Hurts to smile and eat. My Trentoin is only .025%. Again, only 1 application.

Is this normal to have this severe of reaction? I am afraid to move ahead with out causing damage.

I am doing this on my on with no Dr. supervision. Any advice????
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:43 am      Reply with quote
With such an extreme reaction I would recommend seeking the care/advice of a dermatologist. Most people experience redness, irritation, dryness, flaking and burning/stinging from the products but not as severely as what you are describing.

In the meantime, you can try applying neosporin to alleviate tightness and help with healing of any raw skin. You will likely start peeling in about 2-3 days and it will last an addition 3-4 days. Do not apply any more of the Clear, Blender, Exfoderm or tretinoin until you have seen a derm.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:02 am      Reply with quote
Its Kristy,

Thanks. I was feeling like I should go see a Derm, but did not want to be a "baby" if this was normal.

I have had friends that have had Laser Peels and this is what my face looks like after one application of Obagi. Looks like acid was poured on my face.

I must have over reacted to either the Trentione or the Hydroquinone. Which one is the more likely suspect????

Julia
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
HI Jjrelax,

I hope you feel better. Obviously you had a bad reaction to the product(s). Who knows which one would be the culprit. If you want to continue using Obagi I would suggest after everything has calmed down and all is good to try each product one at a time and see the reaction. Right now is better to see your doctor or dermatologist.
jjrelax88

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
I posted earlier today about an SEVERE reaction to the Obagi products after only one application on Monday night. Today my skin started cracking open all over and yellow, watery, puss-like stuff oozing out. I decided to go to the Dermatologist. He says I have a serious chemical burn all over my face. 2nd and some 3rd degree locations. Says it is the worst he has every seen. I can not tell you how painful this is. The burning is so intense that am now taking mild pain meds.

I would not say that I have sensitive skin and have never had reactions to any products before. Even my Doc says there was nothing that would have made him think that Obagi would have been an issue.

I know there are a lot of satisfied and happy people who have used Obagi, but I am one of the unlucky who has had a very bad reaction.

I went back and read the instructions with the products and the info on the website. I can find no where that recommends doing a "patch test" to determine sensitivity. I never thought to do this and I really wish I had. I am praying that I don't end up with scarring at this point.

My Obagi experience has come to a quick halt!

Julia
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my, that is horrible. I'm so sorry to hear that. I get a zit and I'm concerned about how I look so I can imagine how distressed you must be about your burns. I hope your face heals and returns to normal. It is really unfortunate your skin isn't well suited to Obagi because for many people, it really does make huge improvements. I hope you find something else that works for you. After your face heals fo course.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
jjrelax88 wrote:
I decided to go to the Dermatologist. He says I have a serious chemical burn all over my face. 2nd and some 3rd degree locations. Says it is the worst he has every seen.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that. I hope your skin recovers quickly. What did your derm give you to apply to your skin to help with this?

Can I ask you where you purchased your Obagi products? Was it from your derm?
nicerkitten
5% products discount

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:19 am      Reply with quote
I am new on this forum, but did read a lot of useful information here before I decided to go ahead with the Obagi Nu derm system.

I am on day 5 and so far I have 'textbook' side affects, mainly peeling, redness, nothing too major.
My question is this. I am going on holiday in 5 weeks' time to visit an old boyfriend, who I haven't seen for 5 years. I am going to stay with him for 3 weeks and I have to look my best.
My beautician who put me on the Nu Derm said that my skin should be fine by then, but I am worried that my skin might be at its' worst. Not quite sure whether I should carry on with it and hope that I will be lucky enough to see good results before I go or shall I maybe stop a few weeks before the holiday, but I do want my skin to look nice and glowy on the holiday. I was going to have some Vitalize peels done before the travel, but my beautician said that the Nu Derm will be enough and I won't need the peels.

I am 35, fair skin, with fine lines and enlarged pores.

Thanks for your help in advance.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Nicerkitten,
I posted a response to you on the other thread: My Obagi Experience. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
JJrelax88,
Wow! That is some reaction you had. I hope, at this point, you are feeling better and that your skin is healing. Please take care and give us an update on how you are doing.

5% products discount

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi everybody, I am quite concerned that I am not peeling with the Obagi. I am on day 9 and had some peeling the first 5-6 days, now it's completely stopped, I don't have any redness either, only a bit of dry skin. Should I maybe change to the tretinoin 0.1? I am currently on 0.05? Or maybe change to exoderm forte? I am currently on exoderm?

Many thanks!
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Are you using the correct amount of product? 1 gram of the Clear, 1/2 gram of Exfoderm, and 1/2-1 gram of tretinoin mixed with 1/2 gram of the Blender?

1/2 gram is a thick line of product from the tip of pinky to first joint, or the amount of product from the O to the A in Obagi on the product container.

You should also not be using any moisturizer.

5% products discount

Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
I began using the Obagi Nu-Derm system last week and have a few questions.

First, after reading the Trentinoin insert I'm a little confused about its use. The insert says not to apply it for 20-30 minutes after washing your face to allow your face to completely dry. Since the Obagi system requires the use of clear and blender, which leaves the face moist, is it o.k. to apply the Trentinoin immediately after the clear and blender or should I wait 20-30 minutes? (I also plan to ask my doctor about this but I thought those of you who have actually used these products would be a great resource.)

Second, within only 5 days (I didn't use the Trentonin until day 6 b/c it was held up at the pharmacy) my skin is really begining to peel in some areas. Can I use moisturizer over the Obagi Sunfader? I really like a moisturizer I've used for ages with 45 SPF and it would help smooth out the peeling and make it less obvious. Also can night cream be applied over the Obagi products?

Third, and I know how silly this sounds, but when applying the Obagi products I have the darnest time keeping it away from the cracks on the side of my nose. I've used a Q-tip to remove it but still I'm beginning to get cracking and peeling in that area. Any suggestions?

Finally, any advice on how to deal with what seems to be the typical reddening of skin, peeling or other issues associated with Obagi use are welcome and will be appreciated.

Thanks!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:52 am      Reply with quote
SFVera wrote:
I began using the Obagi Nu-Derm system last week and have a few questions.

First, after reading the Trentinoin insert I'm a little confused about its use. The insert says not to apply it for 20-30 minutes after washing your face to allow your face to completely dry. Since the Obagi system requires the use of clear and blender, which leaves the face moist, is it o.k. to apply the Trentinoin immediately after the clear and blender or should I wait 20-30 minutes? (I also plan to ask my doctor about this but I thought those of you who have actually used these products would be a great resource.)

Second, within only 5 days (I didn't use the Trentonin until day 6 b/c it was held up at the pharmacy) my skin is really begining to peel in some areas. Can I use moisturizer over the Obagi Sunfader? I really like a moisturizer I've used for ages with 45 SPF and it would help smooth out the peeling and make it less obvious. Also can night cream be applied over the Obagi products?

Third, and I know how silly this sounds, but when applying the Obagi products I have the darnest time keeping it away from the cracks on the side of my nose. I've used a Q-tip to remove it but still I'm beginning to get cracking and peeling in that area. Any suggestions?

Finally, any advice on how to deal with what seems to be the typical reddening of skin, peeling or other issues associated with Obagi use are welcome and will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi SFVera,
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Obagi!!

During my Nuderm days, I applied the retin a/blender with no wait time. I think if you're using retin a alone, it's advisable to wait 20-30 minutes.

While it's tempting to want to add moisturizer, the Nuderm protocol discourages it because it will slow your progress. Part of what Obagi does is try to return your skin to a healthier self-functioning state that doesn't require moisturizer. Though, the dryness and flakiness are hard to live with at times! Check out some of the Nuderm products that are designed to help with this.

If the redness and irritation gets too uncomfortable -- especially around your nose, mouth, and chin, apply a bit of Aquaphor ointment to those areas.

Good luck and keep us posted!

5% products discount

Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi SFVera,
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Obagi!!

During my Nuderm days, I applied the retin a/blender with no wait time. I think if you're using retin a alone, it's advisable to wait 20-30 minutes.

While it's tempting to want to add moisturizer, the Nuderm protocol discourages it because it will slow your progress. Part of what Obagi does is try to return your skin to a healthier self-functioning state that doesn't require moisturizer. Though, the dryness and flakiness are hard to live with at times! Check out some of the Nuderm products that are designed to help with this.

If the redness and irritation gets too uncomfortable -- especially around your nose, mouth, and chin, apply a bit of Aquaphor ointment to those areas.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Kim, thanks for your help.

Regarding the Aquaphor application, I assume that should be done a good while after the Nu-Derm has had time to absorb into the skin, right?

Last night and this morning the peeling increased significantly. I have hyperpigmentation and even peeling leaves brown spots so I'm a little concerned that this process may be counterproductive. I've used the Trentinoin once so far (dr. recommended 2-3x a week). I'm thinking 1-2x a week may be better since the Obagi itself has me peeling so much. How often did you use the retin a?

Thanks!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
I used the retin a/Blender nightly, but my skin is not sensitive at all. I also used the 0.025% cream version. What percent are you using? That can make a difference as well. I didn't bump up to the 0.05% for quite a while.

Regarding the Aquaphor, use it ONLY on the areas of your face that get the most irritated i.e. corners of mouth, around nose. Don't use it all over your face, as this would be counter-productive.

Also, don't be too alarmed if areas of hyperpigmentation seem to get darker at first. I think many people experience this. Often, things get worse before they get better!!

5% products discount

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
I used the retin a/Blender nightly, but my skin is not sensitive at all. I also used the 0.025% cream version. What percent are you using? That can make a difference as well. I didn't bump up to the 0.05% for quite a while.

Regarding the Aquaphor, use it ONLY on the areas of your face that get the most irritated i.e. corners of mouth, around nose. Don't use it all over your face, as this would be counter-productive.

Also, don't be too alarmed if areas of hyperpigmentation seem to get darker at first. I think many people experience this. Often, things get worse before they get better!!

Kim, you are a gem!

The dr prescribed Trentinoin .05. I don't normally think of my skin as sensitive but it appears to be more sensitive now. I will ask the dr if using the .05 1-2x a week or going to the .25 and using it 3 or more times a week is better.

I used the aquaphor only on the worse areas of peeling (around my nose and on my side of my mouth) and it really helped. Big thanks for that recommendation!

LOL, my sweetie said he thought the spots were getting darker since I started the Nu-Derm (I thought he was just paying more attention, LOL), so it is good to know that happens but it gets better.

I used TriLuma for several years and recall at the beginning my face peeled like crazy. I'm just surprised by how quickly the peeling started with Obagi, especially since there wasn't any stinging or anything when applying the products. But I am committed to going through the process.

Thanks so much for your help.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
You're most welcome!!

I remember when I first started Nuderm, I didn't have the retin a, yet I peeled with just using the other products, too. This is strong stuff!

Nuderm is great for hyperpigmentation. I've been on maintenance for about a year and I really think that the continued use of a good sunscreen and Clear (2-3 times per week) are what's keeping my skin in pretty good condition.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
dose anyone use the obagi perfesional c 20% ,,,how is it ?i am in teresting with this one. dose it work on combination skin?
SFVera
5% products discount

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
You're most welcome!!

I remember when I first started Nuderm, I didn't have the retin a, yet I peeled with just using the other products, too. This is strong stuff!

Nuderm is great for hyperpigmentation. I've been on maintenance for about a year and I really think that the continued use of a good sunscreen and Clear (2-3 times per week) are what's keeping my skin in pretty good condition.

Hi Kim,

I spoke with my dr today and he said if I'm more comfortable using the Trentinonin twice a week at first rather than 3x that is fine. He also said I could use the 45 SPF moisturizer instead of the Obagi SPF 35 sunscreen when I'm going to be outside for extended periods and a light moisturizer if the peeling is too severe during the day. But I used the Obagi 35 SPF today b/c I was outside for hours and it really helped smooth the appearance of the peeling.

I'm interested in your maintenance program, you only use the clear and sunscreen? Not the whole system 2-3x a week? Do you use any other products to remove dead skin cells, etc.?

Again, thanks so much for your help.
buffy45
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Obagi NuDerm system for 3 weeks now, and just today received the Obagi C serum that I ordered, I got the 20% for my face and the 5% for around my eyes. Will let you know what I think after I use it for awhile.
I am having a hard time also staying away from moisturizer, but I know they say to try not to use it. If I do need it, I do have the Obagi Action and I use a tiny amount of that to help with the flakies.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |