Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Is it safe to straighten your hair daily?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Kiwigirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
I've got very fine wavy hair which dries out quite easily so I'm careful not to straighten it too often.

I don't do it everyday, maybe a maximum of once a week with my ghds but I'm wondering how good it is for your hair to straighten it frequently? hmm

How often do you do your hair and do you think it is affecting it's condition?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have curly hair that has a tendency to frizz when the humidity is high. I use my Solano flat iron every night. My hairdresser said just to be sure I condition the ends weekly. I've been using the Loreal deep conditioning stuff in the orange tub, but since buying the EVOO for the OCM, I have tons of EVOO left over. So, lately I've been putting the EVOO on the ends and it seems to be working better than the Loreal stuff.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
My cousin works ina hair salon in NYC coloring hair, and she says it isn't very good for people who worry about thinning hair, like me. I've only done it three times ever, for special occasions.

By the way, I can see how EVOO, extra virgin olive oil, would be good. My grandma used it for years to condition he r heair before braidng, Old world conditioner Smile, and she has awesome hair now for being in her 80s.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
I really think if you have fine hair to be careful.

I have very thick and chemically damaged hair but i still straighten everyday.... I have never noticed straighting to really damage my hair. But again i will say my hair is very thick.

What is effecting my condition of my hair is bleaching and salons that dont know what they are doing.

Are you thinking of straighting your hair everyday? or more often then once a week?
Scottishjuls
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:07 am      Reply with quote
I HAVE to straighten mines every day as it looks a mess without them darn things.. I also have very thick, wavy hair but use plenty of serum and straightner protection spray before running the straightners through my hair. Bring back the PERM!!!

I was at the hairdresser yesterday and he had to cut about an inch off the bottom of my hair he said was damaged due to using them to much but I cant live without them!
Kiwigirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
ah yes, i see the dilemma - to straighten or not to straighten that is the question... Very Happy

i am finding it harder and harder to resist using them frequently and i KNOW they're not great but dammit, they just make me look so fantastic! *sigh* i guess that's just the price you pay for beauty!!!

Kiwigirl.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Scottishjuls wrote:
I HAVE to straighten mines every day as it looks a mess without them darn things.. I also have very thick, wavy hair but use plenty of serum and straightner protection spray before running the straightners through my hair. Bring back the PERM!!!

I was at the hairdresser yesterday and he had to cut about an inch off the bottom of my hair he said was damaged due to using them to much but I cant live without them!

Kiwigirl wrote:
ah yes, i see the dilemma - to straighten or not to straighten that is the question... Very Happy

i am finding it harder and harder to resist using them frequently and i KNOW they're not great but dammit, they just make me look so fantastic! *sigh* i guess that's just the price you pay for beauty!!!

Kiwigirl.

You should go with the curls and waves, girls! They're sexy! (ok, you can roll your eyes now). Really, I wish I had a little more wave in my hair to give it more body. I have even thought of getting a body perm. We always want what we can't or don't have, eh? Wink

Have you contemplated getting a straightening perm? (sorry, I don't know much about these... perhaps they are thoroughly damaging or something. I have heard that curling/ waving perms these days are better formulated to minimize damage but don't know if that's true for straightening perms).

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:01 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad you posted about this, Kiwigirl. I was wondering the same thing a couple of days ago.
I've just had a complete restyle and this has really brought out some wavy bits in my hair. I left the salon with a short, sleek bob and I want to maintain this look. The only way I can do this is by using heated appliances. I'm worried about damaging my hair though.

Do those heat protective sprays/creams/balms really work?
I've got a flat iron spray but I'm not convinced that it is really protecting my hair.
Are there any shampoos and conditioners on the market that are for people who use heated appliances regularly or do you just use a dry, damaged hair product?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
I've been straightening my hair almost every day too. I use Nick Chavez Ceramide Hair Renewal Serum every couple of days to add some moisture to my hair and to get rid of the frizz.
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:12 am      Reply with quote
I straighten my hair every time I wear it down. Usually this is 4-5 times a week (but lately a lot less as I have been very lazy and busy and wearing it up) I just use a spray leave in conditioner/protector made for 'heat styling'. I do have some split ends, especially in the very front shorter part (or maybe that's just cause I can see those best Smile ) My hair is fine and kind of slightly curly/wavy but not enough to curl really well on its own. and just blow drying makes it a straight but puffy mess. When I do "go with the curl"- Laughing I have to scrunch it over and over till it dries. and then I feel like I have to not touch it or it will get frizzy. So wearing it curly is more troublesome than straight, for me!
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there...
I really dont think it is not good to straighten your hair everyday....
I used to do it everyday, and I have a pretty good straightening iron (chi ceramic straightening iron); and I still can see the the tips of my hair are splitting.
but I guess if you insist on doing it everyday, you def should use the ceramic straightening iron.
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:15 am      Reply with quote
Definitely not. It would be healthier to get your hair Rebonded. Professionals will chemically treat your hair once, and you will not need to straighten it again for 6 months. That means 6 months of heat free for your hair! That is better than heating it daily!

Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I have been straightening my hair for the last 3 years now with ceramic iron straightener. It has caused my hair to be very brittle and dry. On top of that, cause of the pulling motion, my hair has thinned out. Sad

But if you really must do it, I would recommend that you do deep conditioning every week. Keratase Nutritive Masque is one good product that I love. And don't forget, using heat-protective products is a must!
jadette
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
I flat iron my thick hair every day. I think the best thing to do is get one of those high end irons that heat up quickly and work quickly that way it doesn't have to stay on the hair cuticle a long time to work. You'll also want to spray on a protective hair product. I love the aveda ones!
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, if you must flat iron, do get a heat protectant for your hair!!!!!

I flat ironed from HS --> College. Then discovered Rebonding (it's not pricey here in the PH). It's soo much better because hair is not dull and lifeless; the shine remains. But I condition everyday and go for regular treatments in the salon, since they are inexpensive here. Very Happy

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |