Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Laser hair removal/tipping?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
fierce
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
I have my first appointment on thursday to have laser hair removel done. I am wondering if i tip?

I have noticed lately that people are tipping at Tim Hortons and Star Bucks. I dont do this because i think it encourges companies to pay their employees less. Plus i dont recall any of the jobs i have had where i was tipped for doing my job.

I do tip for eye brow waxing, hair appointments, and resturants. should i do this for the laser hair removal as well?
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
I've been having my legs, bikini area lasered for about 4 years now, I just started my underarms this year. I've never tipped. I've never really thought about it...the lady that does my treatment owns the salon, not that it makes a difference, but I've never tipped her...I wonder now if I should be tipping..anyone else???

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
I think you need training to use the laser and I would make the assumption that the person performing the procedure is decently compensated and not relying on tips. Example would be a medical aesthetician in a cosmetic surgeon's office. If it's more of a spa-like atmosphere, I would not necessarily tip the owner, but might tip a non-owner depending on the place. Example... if they're doing laser facials and microderms on a regular basis, I see this as more "medical" and not a spa where tipping is expected. If they're doing alot of waxing, pedicures, and manicures, I might think about tipping.

Eeks... I hope this makes sense. Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Chrissie wrote:
I've been having my legs, bikini area lasered for about 4 years now, I just started my underarms this year. I've never tipped. I've never really thought about it...the lady that does my treatment owns the salon, not that it makes a difference, but I've never tipped her...I wonder now if I should be tipping..anyone else???

I think it's appropriate to tip anyone who performs a service for you. But it's less expected in some industries and may not be obligatory.

If you go to a salon, personally, I'd say tip. You'd tip if you were getting your hair or nails done there. Same thing IMO.

And I'd love to hear about your experiences with the hair removal. Since you've been doing it for a while, are there areas, you don't have to laser anymore? How long do the results last? Aren't they s'posed to be permanent?

Sorry to hijack the thread! If you want, PM me, Chrissie.

Thanks!

TI
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Laser hair removal is the best money I've spent myself ~ and believe me, I've spent some money on myself.
I started with my legs and bikini area in 2002, and just began having my underarms lasered this fall. Because hair grows in cycles, it takes multiple sessions (5-8)depending on the area. I love not having to shave (especially in the summer), so I make sure I get the areas touched up a couple of times each winter. My legs are completely smooth year around..no more prickly legs!!! I wish I had done it years ago!!!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:15 am      Reply with quote
LandB,

LOL you completely confused me. I guess it is sort of a spa. they can do botox and facial peels and skin care consultations and such, they dont do waxing though..... I am going to be paying 180 dollars before taxes a session so if i tip is it the usual ten percent?

I just dont want to end up not tipping and making someone mad or have them think i am cheap.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:40 am      Reply with quote
fierce wrote:
LandB,

LOL you completely confused me. I guess it is sort of a spa. they can do botox and facial peels and skin care consultations and such, they dont do waxing though..... I am going to be paying 180 dollars before taxes a session so if i tip is it the usual ten percent?

I just dont want to end up not tipping and making someone mad or have them think i am cheap.

because you are getting a service, not something tangible..you shouldn't be charged tax

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
personally, i've never understood the whole tipping thing.
we don't have tipping as a rule in New Zealand and the wages are really good as a result. after travelling through tipping countries, i've always felt it would be easier and less confusing if waiters etc. were paid a better wage and i was charged more for my meal/service, rather than having to pay once for my meal and again for the service.
how bad are wages really? i mean it seems that some people are living on their tips and getting paid a pittance, that just seems wrong to me... hmm

Kiwigirl.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
fierce wrote:
LandB,

Hee hee - I confuse myself quite often! Anyway, that sounds more like a "medical" place to me.... Don't you need a doctor on staff to inject Botox? I wouldn't tip in that environment, but if you want to be sure, I think it would be proper to simply call ahead before your appointment and ask the receptionist whether tipping is appropriate. I bet they get that question all the time.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
I think the doctor must come in to do it. I dont think there is one always there. (or maybe you make appointments through them for a doctor somewhere else) I just over heard the receptionist on the phone. I will call ahead.

Kiwigirl,

This is how i feel as well. Like i said in my original post that i think when we tip it encourges companies to pay their employees less. I also believe when you are paying 180 bucks a pop you shouldnt have to tip.

Chrissie,

"because you are getting a service, not something tangible..you shouldn't be charged tax"

Really? Maybe it is different in the province i live in... i will look into it though
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
A MD isn't in the office I go to. I guess she has one to review medical records, but I've never seen one. But if there is a MD around, wouldn't this be considered a medical procedure??? Would anyone tip in a medical office??

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Unless this is a salon I def would not tip. As far as tipping the owner, LandB is right, one doesnt tip the owner (since they make money on everyone and every procedure done). Now if you were getting a massage, facial ect.. I'd tip, but on what I consider basicly a medical procedure (lasers) tipping seems not needed. I don't tip my dermatogist. I so hope I made sense Very Happy
Melissa
fierce
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
I went to my appointment today. I asked if i should tip and they said because they are a medical spa, you do not tip.

I would like to say my first appointment went well, did not hurt like i thought it would. If all works out well with the bikini area i will do the underarms and legs as well.

thanks everyone for your help.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
fierce wrote:
I went to my appointment today. I asked if i should tip and they said because they are a medical spa, you do not tip.

I would like to say my first appointment went well, did not hurt like i thought it would. If all works out well with the bikini area i will do the underarms and legs as well.

thanks everyone for your help.

how is the area you had treated doing???

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Chrissie,

The skin in the area feels more soft. I dont really see a change though in hair... I know the lady said that she wanted to see bumps on the skin and thought next time she will go to a higher wand. (lol i dont know if "wand" is the term she used). I know hair grows in three stages so I am hoping to see results after my second appointment. How long did it take for you to see your results?
:D

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:01 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Kiwigirl, I don't understand why you should tip for everything. If someone does an exceptional job, sure tipping could be a nice way to show it, but I think people should have higher salaries and not have to rely on tipping. In that way you can tip as an extra thing and not feel that you should all the time. You are already paying for the service/job you shouldn't have to pay extra for it?

Anyway, I am also planning to do hair removal and wander if there is a way to find a good clinic and know that they are good?
Thanks!
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:18 am      Reply with quote
fierce wrote:
Chrissie,

The skin in the area feels more soft. I dont really see a change though in hair... I know the lady said that she wanted to see bumps on the skin and thought next time she will go to a higher wand. (lol i dont know if "wand" is the term she used). I know hair grows in three stages so I am hoping to see results after my second appointment. How long did it take for you to see your results?

Alot depends on the type of laser used...did they use a YAG or the Candlelase???? I saw results after a couple of treatments.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:40 am      Reply with quote
well i will start off by telling everyone what happened over last weekend. I went to west Edmonton Mall. My man and I met up with a two of his buddies at hooters. We had a drink while waiting for them to finish up. The waitress brought the bill and we all dumped money on the table. the waitress came back and counted the money and said in a very rude tone, "is there even enough money here?" then she counted it again and stated, "exact change" crumpled the bill in her hand and threw it on our table and stormed away.
I was shocked, the bill was 60 bucks, we left her a 6 dollar tip (the boys didnt want to leave her more because she was a rude server) I got up and left, I was so mad. I was wondering what took the boys so long to follow. She came back to the table and was yelling at them saying she has to put 7% of her tips into a tip fund for the whole place. and said now i have to pay to have you guys eat here. The boys just looked at her and shook their head. I cannot believe she did that. This is why there should not be tipping. 6 bucks for 60 dollars is not bad. plus she was rude. I think what happened was she did not count our money properly and thought we did not tip her. That is not our problem. I probably will never go back to eat at hooters again.

chrissie,
i dont know what type of laser she used. Candlelase sounds familiar. what is the difference between them?
livewell_livegreen

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
I know this is an older thread, but as a service industry worker, and a regular patron of day spas, salons, and various medical/beauty institutions, I must say that one should always tip for any service provided, be it a haircut, a pedicure, a wax job, a laser hair removal session, a cocktail, or even when a grocery store worker helps you bring your bags to your vehicle.

In the United States a huge portion of the workforce live off of very low wages, and depend on gratuity for services they provide. It is a customer service world, and tipping for good service is always appropriate. Just like a food server will remember you when you tip poorly (less than 15% of the total bill) and give you poor service the next time they serve you, so will an employee (day spa owner or not) in the salon/spa/beauty industry.

I always tip 20% for every spa/salon service I receive, and 25% or more if the service was exceptional. If I was not fully satisfied, I still give exactly 20%; I am still obligated to pay for the service they provided.

Reminders and tips:

- tipping 10% or less on the total bill is abominable in a restaurant or bar. (Most servers and bartenders have to "tip out" other restaurant workers. You may think a $6 tip on a $60 bill isn't so bad, but that server probably won't get any of it, and may have to pay out of her/his own pocket to tip out for the food/drinks you enjoyed. Expect the server to have to tip out 10% of your total bill to others. If you give her less, you're not only making her serve you for free, you're making her pay for you too.)
-if you were a picky customer/guest at a spa/restaurant, definitely tip a little extra for it (picky = particular about your environment such as where you sit or receive your service, not knowledgable about services/menu and had to ask a lot of questions, asked to change the service or product from what it is normally) Remember: if you're using up a server's valuable time complaining or being indecisive or otherwise, you're losing out on good service. They would rather give good service to someone else who they know will tip accordingly.
-20% is the new 15%
-25% is the new 20%
-always tip $1 per drink or 20% on a bar tab, whichever is more, or you won't get good service.
-a lot of workers, upon receiving a lousy tip, will say something to the effect of, "Ugh. If you can't afford to go out, stay home." they are hard workers, don't stiff them.
-you'll get what you deserve for a few dollars more.
-you'll get what you pay for.

I even tip the boys at the cheap car wash down the street, sometimes they give me free window towelettes and air fresheners.

Hope this was helpful!

And remember, it never hurts to tip.
Nemorem

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:50 am      Reply with quote
It all depends on whether it's more of a spa/salon atmosphere or more clinical. If it's a spa, definitely tip like you would your hair dresser. If it's more clinical, tipping just seems... weird.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:53 am      Reply with quote
I don't think tips are expcted for anything that is medical..performed by a nurse or doctor. That includes laser treatments and anything with a needle.. and I don't think they expect it at all and would be confused and maybe offended it you did tip them.
Now facials, manicures, hair...services like that I always tip.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |