Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Lemon Oil For Lightening Skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LiTZ
5% products discount

Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
hi, i've just found some info on lightening skin, and apparently Lemon Oil can help to lighten... http://pureproducts.net/aromatherapy/lemon.htm (read the physical benefits)

anyone tried this?
dreamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
Lemon oil is good for oily skin and for lightening skin.But be careful to using it because it cause some irritation to skin.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:15 am      Reply with quote
When I was in my teens (which was quite a while ago) I had a lot of freckles on my face. The old time remedy was to rub lemon juice on the face once per day to fade freckles. I don't remember how long it took but it did work and totally removed all signs of freckles. So I would think that lemon oil possibly could be effective and probably less harsh than plain lemon juice. I have to add that the daily lemon juice never did my skin any harm.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:11 am      Reply with quote
My sister has quite a few freckles and she started using lemon juice to lighten them, I thought she was crazy but it actually worked! She doesn't have sensitive skin and had no irritation at all. Hope this helps!
Mrs.athena
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:55 am      Reply with quote
Becareful for sensitive skin
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
I hope you are not wanting to use this undiluted from the bottle, otherwise you are going to have very irritated skin! Lemon is photosensitising, so will cause the skin to become more prone to irritation from sunlight (and perhaps worsen freckles?)

I have only heard lemon juice not oil to be good for whitening. You can get lemon peel bioferment from Skinactives.com for night use.

If you intend to use lemon essential oil, please dilute it at around 2-3% max!
lovely

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I'm keen to try this, I don't have heaps of freckles but would still like to get rid of the ones I have!

Can anyone tell me more about the lemon juice application?

Is it as simple as just rubbing it straight on your face? How long do you leave it on for?

Thanks for your help - I've just discovered this site and it's great! x
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Be careful for sensitive skin
shelliegal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:28 am      Reply with quote
if it's an ingredient in a cleanser, it wouldn't be too strong that you have to really worried right?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
does anyone know if lemon juice or oil would work on old acne marks on the back?
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, wrong post.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
I tried to drink 1 glass of lemon juice everyday for few days & my face was obviously whitened.
hotiron123
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
I am not so sure how true this is, but I have sensitive skin and was advised to dilute the lemon oil in glycerin (vegetable) and use it in my toner (good for oily-acne prone skin).
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:07 am      Reply with quote
shelliegal wrote:
if it's an ingredient in a cleanser, it wouldn't be too strong that you have to really worried right?

eucalyptus and peppermint oil are common ingredients in cleansers...they really have no benefit besides being super irritating
cristaline
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:21 am      Reply with quote
I have used lemon juice, which is different from lemon oil. And ime, it works to lighten a bit because it's exfoliating. It's quite irritating, so I would not recommend it... unless you have really resilient skin like myself, but even then, I would not recommend it since there are superior products out there.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 am      Reply with quote
edenfield wrote:
shelliegal wrote:

eucalyptus and peppermint oil are common ingredients in cleansers...they really have no benefit besides being super irritating

Actually, eucalyptus and peppermint oil are beneficial as long as they're not used full strength. Eucalyptus is anti-bacterial, antiseptic and anti-fungal and makes for a great inhaler if you're stuffed up and need a natural, gentle decongestant. Peppermint oil also contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.

Back on topic I remember using lemon juice on my freckles when I was young. It took a long time but they eventually faded. However, lemon juice does nothing for the spots on the back of my hand.

I would be very careful about diluting lemon EO for skin, however. It can be irritating and possibly make you more photosensitive and who needs that? I absolutely love adding a few drops of lemon EO to my bath, it smells heavenly!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:54 am      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
edenfield wrote:
shelliegal wrote:

Actually, eucalyptus and peppermint oil are beneficial as long as they're not used full strength. Eucalyptus is anti-bacterial, antiseptic and anti-fungal and makes for a great inhaler if you're stuffed up and need a natural, gentle decongestant. Peppermint oil also contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.

not all of those are supported by scientific studies though. there is research supporting antibacterial and anti-fungal activity of eucalyptus, but whether it is the bacteria that we need to worry about (like p. acnes) i'm not clear about...

peppermint oil acts as an anti-inflammatory because it is a counter-irritant, like capsicum. it increases inflammation where it is applied reducing inflammation in a deeper area.
amybrown
5% products discount

Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:24 am      Reply with quote
I knew that lemon juice lightens hair when it is applied in the sun, but I never heard of lemon lightening skin. Does this really work? Is it healthy???? Do you apply it on top of your sunscreen?
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:35 am      Reply with quote
I strongly advise against doing this. I had a terrible experience with using an essential oil containing lemon mixed in a body lotion. I applied it after a shower one night. The next morning, I applied sunscreen and went for a bike ride. The lemon reacted with the sun and I had horrible red splotches all over, which eventually turned into permanent hyperpigmentation areas. It took intense prescription creams over a period of a year to treat this condition. Thank God I didn't use this on my face!! Moral of the story.....DON'T DO IT!! Lemon is extremely irritating and VERY photosensitive!
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have very sensitive skin, and I use a lemon sugar scrub once a week with no ill effects and awesome results.

Put a half cup of sugar in a bowl and squeeze half a lemon into it to make the scrub. I use it in the shower all over my body and lower face (don't want to risk getting it in my eyes) in place of soap. Then I just rinse off. My skin is so clean, soft, and moisturized afterward--I love it. I've noticed no increased sensitivity to the sun.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
yes, lemons are lightening, but yes, they are irritating and photosensitising!!
better not!
or you should be so careful with the sun!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
i heard that lemon oil may make the skin become photosensitive and make skin darker. Shock
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:30 am      Reply with quote
There's a difference between the juice of a fresh lemon and lemon oil. Lemon EO is extremely concentrated and needs to be diluted a great deal before use. But even diluted, I would caution the use of lemon EO if you have a lot of sunshine in your area.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |