Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

SKINN Cosmetics Skin Care line review.....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
maureens

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Sharon Danley wrote:
As a pro high def master artist I just had to comment here after watching Dimitri's presentation on the Shopping Channel.

I have concerns when he credits himself with being a makeup artist. No pro artist would blow on the product, not sanitize their hands with each application, handle the clients face with such disregard and would certainly do a much better job of apply the product.

Having read the reviews by many of the negative effects of his products, I want to shout out - please ladies don't be hook-winked by these guys and the litany of farcical ingredients akin to the Emperor's New Clothes approach to fabric that they pontificate about in their products.

Paula Begoun or better know as The Cosmetics Cop, has a great site and newsletter that is well researched on every product you can think of. If it ain't there then be suspicious of false promises.

And always check on-line reviews before you buy and if you can't find them, once again, don't buy.

Healthy food, lots of water, 8 hours sleep, regular exercise and cleansing your face each night with just about any reasonable product and using the rough of a face cloth as an exfoliator, followed by a decent AHA or Retinal cream for the face + an eye cream - will do more for your face than most of these products rave about. And how about aging gracefully and elegantly rather than fighting it? Everyone loses the fight anyway in the end.

If you want more information about correct and streamlined makeup application techniques check out my website and blog by just Googling my name.

Remember, its about the application techniques and tools more than the product. Just keep that in mind.

I couldn't agree more! I am NOT a professional but I got close and continue to be very very hungry for simple, great makeup products. I haven't tried the SKINN skin care items as I have a basic regimen in place that works well for me but I did recently purchase two products to try them based on a presentation on Shop NBC. I received them today, read the ingredients and they are being returned Monday.

Every item has very strange ingredients that I don't feel safe putting on my skin and the "Skin Brightener" products are highly fragranced - something I am not interested in as in order to carry this fragrance, there is always alcohol of one form or another involved and alcohol is for hairspray or cuts, not my face.

I used these sorts of products in the 80's and 90's growing up but I'm old enough to know better after watching some of my friends faces end up looking like my leather pocket book by the age of 30. NO thanks Mr James.
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
I appreciate the long initial review. I have tried some of his products and like the day serum, but was concerned about the mixing of copper & C in the night serum - the two came as a set.

I had in the past bought a set which contained a night cream with a lavender sent which was way too strong. I may use it on my knees eventually, but I can't tolerate that scent on my face. There was a crease release wrinkle cream with a nice vanilla scent which did not make me break out, and was light, but I can't tell you if it decreased any lines.

The night balm is like a solidified oil. I was too scared to use it on my face, I may eventually use it on my hands.

I also ordered a kit with makeup, shadows and a cream type foundation. They were OK but I thought a bit dark for my skin, and I ordered the lightest shade. There was a yellow powder which was a nice neutralizer, but you could still see powder. In any event, I am not a fan of any powders so I might not be a good judge here. The shadows, I gave just a quick try, did not make my lids look crapey (sorry for the spelling) but I'm not really a shadow wearer and did not give them a good test. Overall, I don't plan to reorder the makeups. Not bad, but not a HG. (Note I say I don't plan to, sometimes I'm watching a show, get overly excited and order something which I had no intention of buying.)

The first review was very detailed, and based upon the review, I will, at least for now, pass on the cleansers, which I had been tempted to buy.

5% products discount

Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Pal, I've gone through so many neck creams I don't want to say and this one is actually making a difference. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes this Skinn product. Martha

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
MarthaB wrote:
Pal, I've gone through so many neck creams I don't want to say and this one is actually making a difference. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes this Skinn product. Martha

I absolutely agree Martha I love the one for double chins, its so hydrating. The other one though I trialed recently and I didnt like it at all and didnt get even nearly the same effect so that will not be repurchased.
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:33 am      Reply with quote
OK, so I have now bought the cleansers. I did warn that when I watch tv I get overexcited and buy. I perhaps liked them a little better than OP, but do find her review accurate. They don't irritate my skin which is good. Probably won't repurchase, but with me, you never know, sigh . . .

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
I still use and will repurchase the neck cream, but I also recently bought the lip serum x3 or something like that and I really, really like it. You only need a tiny bit so it seems it will last a very long time. It feels hydrating on the lip and also looks like a gloss but non sticky. These are the only 2 products I will repurchase from what I have tried so far.
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi Pal, I have seen that Dimitri advertises that the lip stuff increases the volume of the lips. If you think about it please post again on the result of the lip volume after you have used it for a few weeks. TIA

I have to add that the am cleanser says that you can leave it on for 5 minutes for a pore refining mask. Yesterday, I left it on for about 1/2 hour. My face was fine, but my neck was thoroughly burnt. (I do use retin a, and recently bumped up to retin a micro so my skin is more sensitive. ) I won't leave it on the neck area again.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Marie, I'm not Pal, but I wanted to chime in with my experience with Skinn Lip X3 Serum. Previously I was a huge fan of L2K and repurchased that line a few times, but wanted to try something different and less involved. I'm almost finished the bottle and must say, I really like it. It goes on like a gloss and has quite good staying power. One difference I have noticed between this product and L2K is that after it wears off, my lips don't feel parched.
I've also purchased Skinn lip colour/gloss combo and am also impressed.
I've not tried any of their skin care products though and probably won't judging by the comments here Very Happy.

ETA: It was an article on TIA that prompted me to try this product. http://www.truthinaging.com/face/reviewed-and-recommended-skinn-lip-3x-volumizing-serum
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
MarieIG wrote:
Hi Pal, I have seen that Dimitri advertises that the lip stuff increases the volume of the lips. If you think about it please post again on the result of the lip volume after you have used it for a few weeks. TIA

I have to add that the am cleanser says that you can leave it on for 5 minutes for a pore refining mask. Yesterday, I left it on for about 1/2 hour. My face was fine, but my neck was thoroughly burnt. (I do use retin a, and recently bumped up to retin a micro so my skin is more sensitive. ) I won't leave it on the neck area again.

Hi MarieIG

I havent been using the serum for a long time yet and it hasnt been consistant as I have been a way and now home am sick and cant always be bothered with the whole routine. However I would say I think there is a slight improvement in volumme, although is saying that I do have pretty good lips. I would also definitely second everything that anya said about the serum, absoutely spot on.
Hope your neck heals quickly, I to have to be carefull with certain products and the length of time they can stay on my neck without irriation. Smile
Bermie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:03 am      Reply with quote
This product has recently been on our shopping channel.
I must admit to being very very tempted!! Dimitri James is a very convincing salesman!

But I agree with an earlier post, anyone who handles the models faces like that, blows on their faces and uses his hands! its just not right.

Lately I have been trying to be really sensible and researching before I buy any products. When I think of the money I have spent over the years on some very ordinary products.. Shock

I stumbled upon Paula's Choice products while googling and must admit to being very impressed so far.
After reading this thread I am glad I stayed strong..thanks
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:55 am      Reply with quote
RGGAL365 wrote:
I ordered this product after watching Dimitri James on the shopping channel. The set includes an a.m and p.m facial wash as well as the dermappeal. The facial washes were supposed to exfoliate and I noticed no results after 30 days. As for the dermappeal..yikes...it smelled and felt like foot scrub. My face was on fire when I used it which was probably due to all of the peppermint oil in it. I have read that peppermint oil is a skin irritant. After removing the product I didn't find that my skin was inflammed or red but it did look like I had used a very abbrasive product on my skin.

I was about to ask which Skynn company it was.
I have heard of Skynn Iceland and Skynn?Dimitri James

so confusing with those two brands that sound alike.
Sharon Danley

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Well here we are in 2013 and Dimitri is still at it. I wrote to the Shopping Channel again complaining about his poor application techniques, disrespect for the model's face, total lack of hygiene and the snake oil comments about the products.

Ladies please, please, please if you aren't happy let the Shopping Channel know and keep putting up your reviews.

As a professional I'm concerned when people like this are out there selling on the backs of women's low self esteem.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Although Dmitri is probably someone who would be really fun to have as a gossip friend, if you like gossip, his products are not good. I fell for the "lip party" product pitch and returned it, as it did absolutely nothing. Partly used the intense skin balm but it stunk to high heaven and had a yucky texture. His 'skin brightening' duo that you mix together (one bottle is white, the other is lavender) did nothing. I never tried his makeups as I don't wear much. Since he comes across as someone who is so trustworthy and down-to-earth, on-your-side, a lot of people including me fall for it. Fortunately I was able to return what I didn't want and ended up tossing the rest after trying it a while without too much of an expenditure.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:03 am      Reply with quote
He is so likable!!! Long ago he actually had some decent products. I did try a few of his latest and I find my face looks a lot more dehydrated, after I use them for a week. I had actually liked his stuff from eons ago, but that said, I didn't need any help then.

Hate to slam this brand, but not impressed.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 05, 2013 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
He is so likable!!! Long ago he actually had some decent products. I did try a few of his latest and I find my face looks a lot more dehydrated, after I use them for a week. I had actually liked his stuff from eons ago, but that said, I didn't need any help then.

Hate to slam this brand, but not impressed.

wanted to add, I tried a few of his products because they came with a sonic cleanser of his I bought, the sonic cleanser is great, still works fab, the products seemed to do nothing and were very heavy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 07, 2013 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
I've always been curious about this line but usually end up buying stuff from Serious Skincare instead.

At least the shopping channel, you have 30 days to return items.
But after hearing how fraganced this line is, I think it might not be a good idea for me to try it.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 07, 2013 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:
I've always been curious about this line but usually end up buying stuff from Serious Skincare instead.

At least the shopping channel, you have 30 days to return items.
But after hearing how fraganced this line is, I think it might not be a good idea for me to try it.

His stuffs not bad, I am not sure what some are going on about, I did not smell any scent. They were too heavy for me. As far as slapping stuff on the models face, omg all of them do this, has anyone seen signature club a, she is insane in how she does faces, always with fingertips, ect...and she REALLY HAS BEEN A MAKEUP ARTIST, so to say he hasn't I think is unfounded. I don't know if his products are effective, but he does have pages and pages of great reviews on shopnbc, he also has some bad ones. Again his stuff was not for me, but I'd rather hear from others who have actually used it. I actually watched his show this weekend, for a bit, I did not see him treating the models bad or using stuff in a wrong way. He is not doing 100 ladies, he is doing one model, I just don't get the anger

5% products discount

Wed May 08, 2013 3:30 am      Reply with quote
I think you should give them a good try and be your own judge. This is very good products. I also use and get good effect by this product.
adgirl5

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
I agree Jacob. He has some awfully great products in his skincare line. Not all work for me, but the ones that do I stick with.

Everyone needs to try and decide for themselves. Skinn has some great ingredients- just be savvy and check the ingredient deck before you buy.

At 58 the clock is going backwards. Do I use Skinn exclusively?... NO. But the ones I do prove to work wonderfully for me. I'm pretty faithful to my tried and trues. I don't have many fine lines and am wrinkle free despite being a teen that spent summers unprotected from the sun.

Anyway, I say check for yourself. My skin loves his serums. I believe this line has gotten better as he learns more and grows.

I also use Perricone.. but I've scaled way back on my products in that line and only alternate 3 of his products now. Unfortunately they are 3 very pricey ones.

Paula's Choice.. don't waste your time with her retinal products unless you want a bunch of silicones. Her AHAs & BHAs are well priced and very effective.

I like to mix it up a bit, so my skin won't become resistant- but I will say most of my core products are now Skinn.

And believe it or not, I'm somewhat of a minimalist. I despise heavy products.. so I don't know where anyone could call them heavy- unless this is an older thread. Plus you may find them heavy for your skin.

Good luck all! Smile
adgirl5

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
By the way... Skinn's skincare is world's better than his color cosmetics. That really isn't his forte- IMO.
nickky_shygirl
5% products discount

Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:11 am      Reply with quote
I also fell victim to Dimitri's personality and bought some products from the Skinn range.

DermAppeal Microdermabrasion Treatment -
This product (which as the name would suggest is supposed to be a Microdermabrasion treatment) was pretty useless. There was some mild exfolitaiton but nothing outstanding. I could have achieved the same results from a $10 bottle of olay.

Skinn Vacuum Deep Pore Cleansing Mask-

This product was ok. My pores did appear smaller after using it.... BUT - it also dried out my skin.

I also bought a lip mask and a primer, both were pretty mediocre. The primer actually works against you and made it very difficult to apply makeup.

Included with the pack was a eyeshadow pallet. The colors were quite nice and I have continued to use it, however I wouldn't buy anything from this product again. There are just better products out their in a similar price range which offer better value and results.

5% products discount

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
Skinn Cosmetics can also be purchased on shopnbc and there should be plenty of reviews from customers.

I ordered a kit similar and you are spot on about the cleansers. I actually like my BWC 3% AHA cleanser so much better than either one of these and it is under 10 dollars.

I didn't like the wrinkle balm, the lavender day creme wasn't bad.

I have the tinted Orchid gel and I don't think it would be that great for someone with an oily complexion. I have dry skin and it is still quite oily for me.

My kit had a coconut toner , stem regen and skin collagenesis. Which I liked the toner the best.

Thanks for the review, good to know someone feels the same way about the cleansers as I do.

Now with that said...I do like his cotton mineral powder and the eye shadows. They are pigmented and they don't feel dry on the eyelids. The mineral powder does not turn funky after it has been blended. It just doesn't have the strange shine many mineral powders have.
JayceeC

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there
I have been reading the comments about Skinn products on this forum and I have to say that i like everything i have tried so far.
He tells the truth when he says that most other products have water as the main ingredient.
Lets face it, there is not a skin product on this planet that will produce miracles. If you want miracles then go for surgery, botox or fillers.
His products are as good as or better than some of the fancy brand products that i have paid an absolute fortune for and personally i don't care about the packaging, it's whats inside the jar that matters.
Jaycee
RosWode4nw

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
I first started using Skinn products about a year ago and have many of the items. I am 69 by the way. I don't expect miracles but will say I love his products. Don't use all things but some of the all of Collagensis line I love. They don't make me look 20 again, but they are well worth the money. I loved the morning and evening face washes too.
Many on here have such a negative attitude about his products. I don't normally write on forums such as this but had to say something. I just bought two more kits from Skinn on the HQ shopping channel. I won't be without my face washes and creams and don't buy from any other place. Try them yourself and don't listen to all this negativeness.
mindy555

Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
Skinn's Collagenesis line is wonderful. I love the products in the Deep Wrinkle Protocol. While I don't have deep wrinkles, at 59 I do have a few pesky fine lines which aren't apparent when my face is resting. I've researched the ingredients in this and other products in-depth.

I have some staple products in the Collagenesis DWP line I would never be without. I've noticed some real results versus wishful thinking as pictures don't lie. We're all so different in terms of what our skin loves. If you really research ingredient decks and know what each do, it helps in getting the most bang for your buck. Most of his more powerful (and expensive) ingredients are at the top of the deck for better efficacy, with the exception of water, which he rarely uses as the first ingredient like most products lines.

I was extremely skeptical of Dimitri early on. He struck me as a likeable guy, yet a bit of a snake-oil salesman.

I don't use many Skinn products outside of the Collagenesis line, but those particular products and ingredients have made a believer out of me.

Good luck with whatever your using that helps keep your skin firm and glowing. I'm all for those comments from people asking me why I never seem to age. SWEET!

As a side note- I swear by Paula's Choice AHA and I use NCN's Vit C... so I do branch out from Skinn. I don't buy his cosmetics, so can't comment there.

Cheers!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |