Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
How often do you wash your hair?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
I wash my hair every morning. Sometimes twice a day, because I go to the GYM. I read in some articles that it is not good to wash hair frequently, but I don't see another option. I tried not to wash it for one day, my hair didn't get too oily, but it is not the same feeling as if I just washed it in the morning. I'm sure you know what I mean Laughing. My friend wash her hair once in 10 days Shock, and her hair looks very nice. I don't know how she can handle the urge to go and shampoo her hair Confused
Someone said to me that if I don't wash my hair for one week, than after that I will be able not to wash it every day. It sounds good only in theory. There is no way I will try it.
I use L'Oreal shampoo and conditioner, before I used Redken (didn't like it). I'm thinking to try some natural type of shampoo.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
I try to go every other day. By the third day, I'm really pushing it with very oily roots, regardless of the season or the products. I could only go a third day without serious oilies when I was highlighting regularly, which made my hair dryer.

I tried a technique I heard about - rubbing baby powder to the oily roots - but managed only to look like I had been caught in snow storm. Laughing

Is your hair on the longer side? I generally find that when I twist my hair into a clip and pull out some wisps in the front, the oilies are decently disguised.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi LandB, I heard about similar technique with the exception: they suggested to use flour powder. I think the result would be the same Laughing . My hair is long. I usually wear a braid, or pony tale.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
I wash my hair everyday also and like you, I wash it 2x a day because I workout towards the end of the day. I've been thinking about working out early in the AM before my AM shower so I can cut down to washing 1x a day, but I also heard that you should only be washing your hair every other day. I also have oily hair so I really have a hard time adhering to that. I'm thinking of trying those dry hair shampoos and seeing if that works. Has anyone tried the Stila Hair Refreshers or any similar product? I heard they don't leave any residue?
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
jazzybelle wrote:
I'm thinking of trying those dry hair shampoos and seeing if that works. Has anyone tried the Stila Hair Refreshers or any similar product? I heard they don't leave any residue?

Hi Jazzybelle, where can I get Stila Hair Refreshers? Does this company produce the whole line, like shampoos, conditioners?
Have you ever try Pantene?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:40 am      Reply with quote
Generally I wash my hair every other or every third day. (That's unfortunately about the amount of time I spend working out each week as well Sad ) I do try to wash with shampoos that do not contain sulfates which also seems to help the condition of my hair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:08 am      Reply with quote
People with oily scalps need to wash their hair more than people with dryer scalps. My hairdresser washs her hair once a week and it looks great...but mine looks nasty if I don't wash it everyday. She suggested just putting shampoo at the top of my head and not soaping it up on the ends (just wash the roots)...I've tried this, and it seems to work-it just takes practice because once I put shampoo on my head I forget and wash my whole head.

She also said when you use baby powder, a little goes a long way, and to use a blowdryer to warm the powder ~ if you get it mixed in well, it should be absorbed by the scalp oils and you shouldn't be able to see it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:08 am      Reply with quote
Even though I have thick, wavy, dry hair, I wash my hair every morning. The evenings I exercise, I just shower, but don't wash my hair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:16 am      Reply with quote
I have oily hair and argh it looks awful if I don't wash it every day.
I have been using baby shampoo and this does work, it does not hair the paint stripping effect so it gentle enough for every day.
My sister has wonderfully curly hair, she only washes it once a week and it always looks fantastic.........I dread to think if I only washed my hair once a week Shock

5% products discount

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:00 am      Reply with quote
I wash mine every third day also. Unfortunately for day two and three I have to wear it up. My hair is extremely curly so unless I style it from wet with new product I end up with a frizzy mess. You should see it in the morning. I give bed head a bad name! If I straiten it I can leave it down for at least three days, but I do that maybe once a month or less. I do find though that the condition of my hair is better with less shampooing.
fierce
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:15 am      Reply with quote
I try to wash my hair every third day. I also have to wear my hair up and i feel gross. If i do wash my hair every day I only put the shampoo on the roots (someone else mentioned this as well and i suggest trying it). Or i will wash with conditioner.

I suggest for you guys that wash your hair twice a day, if you are just washing at night after working out, try washing with a conditioner.
jazzybelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:26 am      Reply with quote
Lara1 wrote:
jazzybelle wrote:
I'm thinking of trying those dry hair shampoos and seeing if that works. Has anyone tried the Stila Hair Refreshers or any similar product? I heard they don't leave any residue?

Hi Jazzybelle, where can I get Stila Hair Refreshers? Does this company produce the whole line, like shampoos, conditioners?
Have you ever try Pantene?

Hi, Lara1,
Stila Hair fresheners/refreshers(forgot exact name) are sold at Nordstrom or online at Sephora. I'm not sure if they sell shampoos, too. They sell cosmetics and also skincare now(but I haven't heard any big raves about the skincare). Smile
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
I wash twice in one shower between every 3-5 days. I have oily scalp hair but the rest of it is bone dry. I also use the advice above of "just washing the scalp" twice with a clarifying/balancing shampoo, but do the rest of my hair last with a 2 in 1 dandruff shampoo. This seems to keep me in a nice balance for a while.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
I try to go every other day. On the non-wash day I wear my hair up and use Jason Body Powder in Tea Tree formula. Smells great and does the trick. I just have to make sure I rub it in so that I don't look like I got into a flour fight. Of course my hair is med-dark blonde so that helps.

If I sweat up a storm during my workout I only apply shampoo to my finger tips and massage my scalp. If I haven't sweat that much I either skip getting my hair wet or just rinse my hair and maybe apply a little shampoo to the just above my forehead area. Of course it gets tricky the more I swim for workouts.

But if life demands it, then I wash every day. Sometimes you don't have much of a choice. I think the trick is to use gentle cleansers.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
I wash my hair every other day. I find that washing it daily totally drys out my scalp.
tammymamtam
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
sebastian makes a product called dry clean only you just spray it on and it takes the oil out and makes it smell better. i use it on my dog too when he gets smelly and no time for a bath Very Happy tammymamtam
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:57 am      Reply with quote
i'm one of those that washes only once a week -- twice max -- except when i visit my father in hawaii and am in the water every day. it's definitely true that going without washing for a week will make your hair more likely to accept less frequent washings. the oil production will slow down or something like that (like not over-washing your face?). i have an oily scalp but very dry hair -- my hair actually looks better when it's absolutely filthy -- go figure! Laughing i have long hair and make sure i put it up and use a sweatband around the whole perimeter when i work out. it works pretty well protecting my hair (and face) and i sweat like a pig.
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:08 am      Reply with quote
oooo...
sebastian's dry clean only sounds gooood...
must try...

*writing down another product on her looooong wish list*

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:12 am      Reply with quote
you can try Klorane Dry Shampoo as well. my old french tutor swore by it. here's reviews on MUA: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=38164/Dry_shampoo/Klorane/Hair/
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:40 am      Reply with quote
For as long as I can remember I have been washing my hair every day. It just isn't a great day if I don't. For the last month I have been taking the advice of my hairdresser and just washed it every other day. It has had no other effect than making that second day less joyful. My hair is ok in the morning, but throughout the non-wash day it becomes seriously lank and oily. I have just made the decision to start washing it every day again. My scalp needs a good clean, just like I would never contemplate not washing my face one day...
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:00 am      Reply with quote
I, too, have had to wash my hair every day since puberty. Nothing I've tried has ever allowed me to go even two days without washing.

Twice when I've been sick I did not wash it for a week or so. All that happened was it made me miserable and took longer to get clean when I was able to wash it.

Washing the roots only seems to help keep the ends from getting too dry
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I have the dry clean only stuff and for me it still looks 'weird' afterwards, not exactly oily, but sort of hairspray-y (and I do "rub vigorously w/a towel" or whatever Smile ). I have oily hair too. I hate washing it because then I either have to blow dry it and straighten it, or put it up. But I'm very paranoid about oily hair so I wash it everyday if I'm going somewhere and less if I'm not. But more out of lazyness than for the health of my hair. I find that on the 3rd day, though, it is so bad I can't stand it (it gets itchy for some reason?) and I have to wash it. I always do the 'wash only the scalp part' thing, though, unless I've used product to make it curly (my 3rd, very under-utilized option Laughing )
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I generally find that when I twist my hair into a clip and pull out some wisps in the front, the oilies are decently disguised

i'm doing this right now! Laughing

My sister thinks it's a moral failing to not wash your hair everyday, but i have long hair and to blowdry everyday takes up time i'd rather spend sleeping...every 3 days is my limit.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:00 am      Reply with quote
My hair, like my skin, tends to be on the dry side, it's typically every other day for me. My hair is in so much better condition now than when I washed it every day. Like others have mentioned, sometimes I wash my hair with a bit of light conditioner. I really like Lancome Hair Sensation Force Densite Mask. It sounds like it would be heavy, but it's really light.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:13 am      Reply with quote
I wash every other day, and can sometimes go every thrid day in the winter because my hair gets drier in the winter.

Lori

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |