Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Long Beautiful Nails
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
I am loving this forum and hope this topic hasn't been covered already. I have very weak nails and raggy cuticles, difficult to grow out and keep. I would love some input. Has anyone tried the t.i.p.s. nail conditioner on QVC or can someone please recommend a product to make my nails strong? All advice is so much appreciated.
Klouri

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:10 am      Reply with quote
Hi... I used to have, short, weak and brittle nails my whole life, then someone suggested pre-natal vitamins. I had tried EVERYTHING topical but nothing promoted the actual growth and strengthening. I used the vitamins and in one month my nails were longer and stronger than ever before. If someone had told me 6 years ago that my own nails would be long (mid-length... I don't wear them ultra long, but I could if I wanted!!) enough to wear OPI Big Apple Red every day I would have laughed them out the door, but I do. It's now my "signature" color and I can't imagine not being able to wear it. Prenatal vitamins stregthen the nail from the INSIDE, where it should start anyway. They really do work. [/color] [/b]
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:46 am      Reply with quote
I have beautiful strong fab nails now but they used to split and be weak. I swear by Solar Oil to condition the nail and cuticle area, or try Avoplex by OPI, then I use Nail Envy which is a hardener (OPI) and then apply a couple of coats of OPI polish. My nails never break now, they're rock hard and still don't break even if I hit one, in fact I have to file them down as they get too long to type.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Tke 50mg of Zinc every day along with Vitamin A supplents and I can gerentee after about 2 months your nails will look fantastic.
I started taking a high Zinc supplement for my skin and my nail grew so fast and strong I now have the problem that they keep growing too long!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:31 am      Reply with quote
The ONLY thing that has helped my nails grow longer is Nailtiques formula #2. It also worked great on my mom and grandma. It's a bit expensive but I think it's worth it if you want nice nails.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies, thanks so much for all your feedback and wisdom (as I sit here typing with my fake nails trying not to knock them off as I type)

Klouri and rosebud - I agree that vitamins are so very important to the health of our skin, nails and hair. I am big on supplements too. I have recently upped my vitamin A intake - YEAY! I am glad to hear that it may help. I'll take a closer look at the zinc, too. Thanks!

Lianne - I have never heard of Nailtiques but I'd like to take a look at the product, where do you buy yours? Do you think it is available online?

Sarahb - what is SolarOil? Wow, your routine sounds like what I have been looking for. I want my nails rock hard, able to chop through wood!

Well, I have some research to do while my hubby watches the superbowl, now. Thanks again to all of you. Dreaming of apple red nails....
jilllpa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I ordered T.I.P.S. off of QVC after watching that woman bend her nails backward and pound her nails onto a board about 100 times, I was so fasinated. Sorry to say that it did not do anything for my nails, also the funnel type nail file is hard to handle. I think I will try the pre-natal vitamins myself. Hope this helps.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks jilllpa,

That is exactly what I wanted to know! You're the best! It was as I suspected. I almost always end up sending back my QVC products.

I did a search query for nailtique #2 on EDS and it sounds like a few members really like it. I think I'm going to look into this first as I have no nails yet to even apply Nail Envy and Polishes 'sigh'.

Good luck with the vitamins.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
I have very long natural nails ... and have had for almost 40 years. [I didn't begin to grow my nails until mid-way through high school.]

I really think that genetics plays a big role in nail strength and growth. There isn't much you can do about the portion of the nail you see ... the only thing you can truly affect is the nail that is under the skin ... in short, you can strengthen future nails.

My actual nail bed is small ... so I have to grow mine much longer than most people ... just in order for them to look long! Laughing

However, I confess that I don't take special vitamins for my nails ... nor do I do anything in particular to stimulate their growth or strength.

I do wear nail polish almost all the time ... as this does lend your nails a bit of a shield. I wear rubber gloves when my hands are going to be in lots of hot water and detergents.

I recall that it took quite a few attempts at growing my nails before they finally "agreed" to remain long.

I type on a computer keyboard at about 120 words per minute ... however, for those of you old enough to recall typewriters, I used to type with my long nails on a manual typewriter ... which was far more punishing to my nails than using a keyboard. Even the electric typewriters were harder on my nails than my keyboard.

Acrylic nails will weaken your natural nails ... and it may take a while for your natural nails to recover from those chemicals.

If you can be patient, I would make sure that you get a good manicure and certainly using Solar Oil [or some nourishing oil] on your bare nails and cuticles will help ... and gradually your nails should grow.

Interestingly, a friend who had some heart trouble a few years ago, can't seem to grow her nails any more. She used to wear them long like mine ... but she thinks it must be one or more of her heart meds that is compromising nail growth.

Getting a good manicure from time to time is definitely a good idea. Your nails will look nicer as they grow ... and I think the pampering is always a good idea.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:27 am      Reply with quote
I bit ( Shock ) my nails for many many many years (up until I was 26), and when I stopped for good they where in a very sad state. When they grew they were VERY soft anf bendable (ouch) and needed a lot of care. I always had a nail file on me just in case some nail needed rescuing.

About a year ago I went on the pill, Yasmin. Literally within weeks my nails were growing like there was no tomorrow, and weren't as soft anymore. Now they're pretty strong and seeing I'm lazy they get some attention only once a week these days. I still find it fascinating having nails - will probably never get over it Laughing

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
WOW Ruth, that is amazing. I want my nails so hard that it's difficult to bite them. Right now they are like paper thin. Coincidentally, I'm due for my birth control checkup this month, maybe I'll look into switching...
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
pnw, sorry for the slow reply. I purchased my nailtiques from EDS. Click the link on the top left that says 'back to shopping' and you'll see nailtiques in the list of brands on the left of the page.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
I checked out the nailtiques and it looks like a good system. I was just about to order it online but found during my pedicure that my local spa carried the OPI nail envy so I am trying it out first. Even if I had long nails I would use it to give my nails a natural hint of shine. Only on day 2, I'll keep you posted. Very Happy If this doesn't work, I'm trying Nailtiques next.
Solomia
5% products discount

Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Smile Nailtiques worked for me as well for a while, but I found a better product and have been using it for 5 years now. There is this company in NY, they make really good product called Rejuvacote (Miracote is pretty good as a top coat as well). Also, they have an amazing nail polish collection. I know that the prices aren't that great, but a bottle of that nail polish should be enought for almost 1/2 a year or maybe a bit less. As the old Russian lady at the salon said "believe me your nails will grow like mushrooms after the rain", I think she was right. Their website iswww.duri.com

Solomia
Solomia
5% products discount

Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
If anybody is interested, I was actually able to find Duri products on ebay for much cheaper then they are on their official website.
bongo's_mom
5% products discount

Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote
I found a small 1/8 oz of 'OPI Nail Envy, original' for .99 and only 2.00 shipping on Ebay. I received it in less then a week and will be posting my results after a few weeks.
DIY Girl
5% products discount

Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:20 am      Reply with quote
I have had lots of success with Skin Biology's method - they have a cream (not particularly cheap, but it lasts forever) and suggest Biotin and MSM supplements. I get the cream from them and purchase Biotin and MSM from Walmart. When nothing else seemed to make a difference (even zinc) this did it! Oh - I almost forgot, emu oil as recommended by Skin Bio also does wonders for rehydrating. Plus it is pretty cheap from other suppliers and lasts for a long time if you keep it in the fridge.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:10 am      Reply with quote
[quote="bongo's_mom"]I found a small 1/8 oz of 'OPI Nail Envy, original' for .99 and only 2.00 shipping on Ebay. I received it in less then a week and will be posting my results after a few weeks.[/quote

how is this working for you???

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
WOW! Sarahb is right, the OPI Nail Envy does make your nails rock hard. I've been using it since the beginning of Feb. and even though my nails have only grown out a hair of a sliver they really seem to be 2X thicker! (Maybe this is why they seem to be growing outward so slowly at first.) I can't wait until they get longer! My husband keeps commenting on how nice my teeny little nails look since I started, especially when I started adding avacado oil to the cuticles. I think it's a bit pricey at $15

BTW, the lady at my spa says that Nail Envy works but only if you do it the way it says: Apply once, then again over that the next day. After that apply an additional coat every other day. At the end of one week, remove all of it and start the cycle over again. I wonder how Bongo's Mom is liking this?
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
pnw wrote:
WOW! Sarahb is right, the OPI Nail Envy does make your nails rock hard. I've been using it since the beginning of Feb. and even though my nails have only grown out a hair of a sliver they really seem to be 2X thicker! (Maybe this is why they seem to be growing outward so slowly at first.) I can't wait until they get longer! My husband keeps commenting on how nice my teeny little nails look since I started, especially when I started adding avacado oil to the cuticles. I think it's a bit pricey at $15

BTW, the lady at my spa says that Nail Envy works but only if you do it the way it says: Apply once, then again over that the next day. After that apply an additional coat every other day. At the end of one week, remove all of it and start the cycle over again. I wonder how Bongo's Mom is liking this?

This past weekend, when it was too cold to do anything else, I soaked off my artifical nails. My nails are in sad shape. Crying or Very sad I'm going to buy some Nail Envy tomorrow-thanks for the tip!!

5% products discount

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi PNW: I've been using Nail Envy for only a week so too early to tell. I have long natural nails. Currently I have 3 that broke. (Gardening is year-round here in Miami)

My biggest problem is nails splitting because eventually it takes the whole nail. So far, no breaks or splits. I will post in a month with more results.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Chrissie and bongo's mom,

Are you still using the nail envy? How are your nails doing?

I am still using mine regularly and still like the results. My nails feel strong, but gee whiz they are SLOW growing. At this rate it will take 4 months for them to stick out past the tops of my fingers. Laughing
bongo's_mom
5% products discount

Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
My nails have not broken since I've been using nail envy and have been doing heavy gardening work too. Even though I do wear gloves, they still end up splitting. But since nail envy I have to admit, all is well! Very Happy
tcsorg

Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:13 am      Reply with quote
I had really weak, soft nails, that would break or split so for the most part I've always kept them really short because I thought I couldn't grow long,lovely nails. A manicurist told me her clients swore by Duri cosmetics' Rejuvacote. All I have to say is wow, within 3 weeks I had long, gorgeous nails. I put Sally Hansen's cuticle cream on at night when I can remember but overall I'm really pleased with the result! I found it online for 9.95 and am now have begun using my second bottle and have only used a 1/3'd if that. I began using the first bottle in May.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:36 am      Reply with quote
I've read from a beauty diary written by a Thai celeb (who's very well-known here and got gorgeous flawless skin) and she suggests soaking your nails in warm olive oil for 20 minutes and rubbing it in afterward. You're supposed to do it once a week. It's supposed to strengthen your nails and soften your cuticles though I don't know how it really works.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:18 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |