Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
What colour are your nails right now?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:08 am      Reply with quote
Mine are peachy pink (OPI Infatuation). My fav brand is OPI, I prefer subtle colours but sometimes also love dark berry nails like their Peru-B-Ruby and Bogota Blackberry - don't they have brilliant names? I'm generally very 'into' my hands and nails, but can be highly obsessive about them and change nail colour every day when that happens! Right now I'm bordering between 'normal' and 'excessive', and so this subject pops up (well it's also a spin-off from pnw's thread Razz)

What colour are your nails? Do you have a favourite brand and/or colour? Very Happy (and she admires her nails as she types...)

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:45 am      Reply with quote
I actually prefer to 'gulp' wear no nail polish at all, there is something about the feel of it, it's like my nails cannot breath, can anyone relate to this?

However when I do wear nail polish I quite like the French Manicure look, this I always attempt myself and don't do a bad job if I do say so myself Wink

The other day I bought a beautiful shocking fusia pink colour from the Rimmel range, for someone like me who only wears nail polish once in a while the Rimmel colour selection and the prices are ideal Very Happy

I am open to learning more about my nails so I think this thread should prove interesting Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:27 am      Reply with quote
I prefer Essie over OPI, just because I like the thinner consistency better. Although OPI’s got a vastly superior color range! I rarely paint my fingernails, rather having a gorgeous pedicure is what I’m hooked on – and I can do a great french pedicure on my toenails, believe it or not! Smile

If you’re looking for a fantastic topcoat for your manis and pedis, my fave is Seche Vite Fast Drying Topcoat. I won’t paint my tips or my toes without it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:53 am      Reply with quote
I like buffed bare nails also with nail white under the tips
I do love strong colors on my toes esp. in the summer as I'm on the beach and almost always wearing sandels. Where do you find the polish you mentioned carekake?
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:56 am      Reply with quote
I only ever wear varnish on my fingers on very, very special occasions. I'm so clumsy that, no matter what brand and no matter what under or overcoats I use, it will chip within a day. When I do, I tend to go for either clear or pale pinks or purples.

I always wear it on my toenails, though, as it seems to last very well there. (Obviously my feet are much less clumsy than my hands. Laughing ) On my toes, I'm loving a gorgeous OPI mid-lilacky shimmery purple at the moment.

Like rosebud, though, I'm very fond of Rimmel nail varnish. It seems to last a heck of a lot longer without chipping than the more expensive brands. Rimmel Lycra tends to be the best for me.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:04 am      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
Where do you find the polish you mentioned carekake?
You can get OPI and Essie at places like Ulta or "Trade Secret" (beauty store/salon in major shopping mails) and even it some higher-end supermarkets, while you can get the Seche Vite topcoat at Ulta.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:56 am      Reply with quote
P.S. While we’re on the subject of nail polishes, I just posted a review on MUA of one of the new shades in OPI's "Mexico" collection for Spring. For your reading pleasure, I shall post the ‘guts’ of my review here:

I am completely infatuated with this new OPI shade! It’s sort of a peachy pink with a fine silver and gold microglitter that becomes sort of chameleon-like, changing the color that you see from more pinky to more peachy, based on the angle from which you view it. Because of this, I believe it is possibly suitable to both warm AND cool tones.

Normally, I have a problem with OPI polishes being too thick for my taste so usually I have to add a few drops of thinner before it reaches a consistency that I consider workable, but I did not have that problem with this shade: it went on smoothly and evenly.

Right now I’m wearing it on my toes and I’m thanking God that it’s been so warm in Texas since before Xmas that we’re more or less able to wear sandals and shortsleeves already! I haven’t tried any of the other shades from the new Mexico selection, but I definitely rank this one as a must-have – I’m even going to buy a backup bottle for myself to save when this color inevitably becomes discontinued.

One more thing: when I first spotted this shade in the bottle, I immediately thought it was a dead-ringer for “Day at the Peach,” but once I tested it on my own nails, I realized that the microglitter is silver and glitter rather than irridescent like the DatP, which I actually prefer. Despite all of the raves for DatP, I could never see what all the fuss was about and promptly swapped it away....

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I'm with majorb - when I wear polish it ALWAYS chips within a day and drives me nuts, so I tend not to have my nails polished except for maybe a special occasion. Again, I prefer french manicure mostly because it doesn't look as bad when it's chipped as a solid color. Smile
fierce
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Rosebud,

I know how you feel. When i wear nail polish it feels weird. I am always thinking about it. So I dont wear nail polish or have my nails manucured. sometimes in the summer if i am bored i will put a clear white coat over them to make them shine, but it chips away before the end of the day or i will take it off cause it bothers me.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
I've been wearing various brands of nail polish for close to 40 years. I am very particular about how my nails look ... so won't stand for any chipping. I always carry the polish I'm currently wearing in my purse ... and if I get a chip, I dab a bit of the polish on which hides it until I can get home and take the polish off that nail and redo.

For years I didn't bother with base coats or top coats ... but have learned that the better the base coat ... the longer my polish lasts without chipping. Also a good topcoat will protect against oxidation of the colour ... and will keep my nails looking nice for longer.

I generally use OPI or Creative for my polishes, including base and top coats, but there are some Sally Hanson colours I just love as well.

I have natural long nails ... and I don't shy away from doing things just because I have long nails or polished nails. I do draw the line at prying up pop tin openers ... which can split my thumb nail.

I generally opt for subtle colours ... except around the Christmas season for some reason ... then I like the reds ... and particularly like the special effect top coats from Out The Door.

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
chanel rouge noir,
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
P.S. While we’re on the subject of nail polishes, I just posted a review on MUA of one of the new shades in OPI's "Mexico" collection for Spring. For your reading pleasure, I shall post the ‘guts’ of my review here:

I am completely infatuated with this new OPI shade! It’s sort of a peachy pink with a fine silver and gold microglitter that becomes sort of chameleon-like, changing the color that you see from more pinky to more peachy, based on the angle from which you view it. Because of this, I believe it is possibly suitable to both warm AND cool tones.

Normally, I have a problem with OPI polishes being too thick for my taste so usually I have to add a few drops of thinner before it reaches a consistency that I consider workable, but I did not have that problem with this shade: it went on smoothly and evenly.

Right now I’m wearing it on my toes and I’m thanking God that it’s been so warm in Texas since before Xmas that we’re more or less able to wear sandals and shortsleeves already! I haven’t tried any of the other shades from the new Mexico selection, but I definitely rank this one as a must-have – I’m even going to buy a backup bottle for myself to save when this color inevitably becomes discontinued.

One more thing: when I first spotted this shade in the bottle, I immediately thought it was a dead-ringer for “Day at the Peach,” but once I tested it on my own nails, I realized that the microglitter is silver and glitter rather than irridescent like the DatP, which I actually prefer. Despite all of the raves for DatP, I could never see what all the fuss was about and promptly swapped it away....

OMG Carrie you make me want to go out and buy it! It sounds very similar to a Clarins polish that I used to like a lot, called Sunkissed or something like that. Thanks for sharing. Smile

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
I actually prefer to 'gulp' wear no nail polish at all, there is something about the feel of it, it's like my nails cannot breath, can anyone relate to this?
I can! Especially after a nice hand treatment when my skin is all dewey and soft, I swear my nails just look better bare (and short, believe it or not - I always prefer them short).

Quote:
However when I do wear nail polish I quite like the French Manicure look, this I always attempt myself and don't do a bad job if I do say so myself Wink
Me, too! I never can decide what I like better why the heck do y'all think I always end up changing their look on an almost daily basis! Laughing

Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:04 am      Reply with quote
My poor SO has given up on me when it comes to polish. He finds it super sexy, I find it a total drag + I am absolutely terrible at applying the stuff. I just can't be bothered with the hassel of it all. And I find it dries my nails. But on the few occssions I do have nail varnish on I sit and admire them no end Laughing

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:47 am      Reply with quote
Ruth I also find it dries my nails, I have noticed if I have been wearing nail polish for a few days then come to take it off, I have quite pronounced ridges, like they are dehydrated.

It takes weeks for them to return to some normality.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:00 am      Reply with quote
Oh, my other manicure/pedicure “must have” is “Once Removed” nail polish remover/treatment: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002IEO2A/sr=1-1/qid=1139313440/ref=sr_1_1/002-4236900-2636012?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=3760931&s=hpc&v=glance

I just saw that they also have “Once Removed” in the form of one of those manicure mistake-eraser “pens” so I’m going to have to order one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002IEO34/sr=1-3/qid=1139313514/ref=sr_1_3/002-4236900-2636012?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=3760931&s=hpc&v=glance

The reason that I love "Once Removed" so much is because it's completely opposite of the traditional, stinky and drying nail polish remover. This stuff actually moisturizes the nail while easily removing old polish at the same time!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:52 am      Reply with quote
Ruth & Rosebud - Yep, my nails get into a terribly dry state when I use varnish. I smother them for days afterwards in OPI Avoplex or sweet almond oil.

carekate - Definitely better to use a good, non-drying remover, but even when I (this is embarrassing to admit because it looks awful Embarassed ) just let clear nail varnish wear off on its own without using remover, my nails are still appallingly dry with the varnish.

Now if only manufacturers could come up with a moisturising varnish!
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:

Now if only manufacturers could come up with a moisturising varnish!

majorb I think you might have switched on Dr Holland's little light bulb ... she could already be researching ingredients she'll need as I type this Laughing (go, Carekate go!)

amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:39 am      Reply with quote
I've always envied those that wear nail polish and have beautiful nails.

I really don't paint my finger nails all that much and for several reasons (and if I do, like for a special occasion, it's an after thought)...
-the feeling (I can relate, Rosebud),
-I do a lot with my hands during the day and end up either chipping or wearing away the polish on the tips of my nails,
-I don't have the patients to apply all of the coats you should to get the longest wear.
-I end up taking it off the next day becuase I am a perfectionist and can't stand any signs of wear.
-I forget when my nails are wet and end up smearing them and have to start all over.

In highschool though I went about 3 years with always having painted toe nails! I would wear anything from natural to bright pink. For a while my fav color was "Blackberry". I actually used up the entire bottle. That's very unusual for me! I even wore bright metallic turqoise blue. I still paint my toe nails a lot and I still really like Blackberry. Wink

I have this thing with my toe nails... I have to keep them as short as possible. That means no visible white nail. Weird, eh? But with my hands I like them to be about 1-2 mm long. I have never been able to grow them past 2 mm long. They are so pliable it drives me crazy. My mom's on the other hand (pun intended Laughing ) are so hard and don't bend AT ALL. I inherited her hand shape just not her nail strength.

A few months ago I tried Revlon's new polish set (they sell a base coat and a top coat in one package... can't remember the name). My nails actually grew out longer than I thought possible b/c the polish gave them strength. But then a few weeks after using it (the polish would chip -even though it wasn't supposed to- so I would remove it and repaint). After removing a coat one day I noticed that my nails seemed weaker than before. So I didn't use any polish to give my nails "a break". My nails were very short because they would peel away and it was painful b/c it would peel back past the quick. It took my nails two months to get back to normal. It was so weird not having nails long enough to scratch. Do you think it was the polish remover that weakened my nails so badly? (I have to admit that sometimes I would peel back the polish if it had chipped. I am thinking it took a few layers of my nail with it).

I've never had a mani or pedi simply b/c I've never been able to afford it. There are always other priorities (like skin care items Wink). I would love to see what a real mani would do for my nails and hands. Someday...

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:33 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
majorb I think you might have switched on Dr Holland's little light bulb ... she could already be researching ingredients she'll need as I type this.

I wish she would! I'd buy it! Very Happy

Actually, it's a real shame that more skincare and cosmetics sompanies don't visit forums like this to find out what we really want from our products. If only there were more like carekate and Darren!

(ETA I know carekate doesn't actually have her own company - yet. But maybe one day...)
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Amnis I know exactly what you mean!!!

I need to wash my hands all through the day and nail polish literally lasts 1 day if I am lucky!!!

As for professional manicure or Pedicure I have never had either Embarassed
Like you I can always think of so much more to spend my pennies on also I am too ashamed to go for a Pedicure - since the age of 13 I have suffered from Verucas on my left foot, it started out as one and over the years every time I went to have them treated they just multiplied.

They cause me no pain, they are just unsightly, my SO was horrified when we first met and frogmarched me to the Chiropodist to have acid treatment.........needless to say £200 later they multiplied Bad Grin

I think I would have to bribe a Pedicurist to even look at my left foot!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Isn't it the formaldahyde (sp!) that causes nail polishes to be so drying? If so, I know that a line called "Zoya" is completely formaldahyde-free. I've also seen a couple of other brands at Whole Foods, so you might also be able to find them at health food stores....

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Zoya polishes are GREAT! They last well on natural nails too... I have dozens of OPI and find that Zoya behaves easily as well if not better than my beloved OPI. Nice colour range too..and nice to know they are formaldahyde and Toluene free. Here in Australia they are available from TVSN, the shopping channel or their website.
Having said that...lol.. I am wearing OPI Java Mauva, love that colour, it's a cream, rich slightly brown, warm rose colour that goes with almost anything. Another big fav for me is OPI Dulce De Leche which is a cream also, in a pale, dusty pink/mauve-ish nude shade. Absolutely loveeeeee that one Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I always use nail polish. Have to, because if I don’t paint my nails, they tend to break easily and then they look awful.
What I disliked the most about weekly home manicures is the drying time. But now that I found the best topcoat -Poshe Super Fast Drying TopCoat – it has been wonderfully easy to change nail polishes.
This topcoat not only dries polish in record time, but manicure lasts much longer than before.
Don’t remember if this product was recommended here or on MUA, but thank you to all who tried it and posted reviews. You guys are the best.

http://www.poshe.com/index~display~products.htm

As for nail polish, I alternate between Essie, OPI and Dior, depending on a color I fancy that day. Sometimes, based on glowing reviews, I try WnW, Rimmel or Revlon.
One thing I strongly dislike about OPI is its offensive smell. I have allergies, so can only use OPI with windows open Sad
To answer your question: I am wearing OPI Cabana Bananna. Love it. It is golden and looks great day or night and business-appropiate Very Happy
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:41 am      Reply with quote
I never buy polish unless it is formaldehyde free and if the ingredients aren't listed on the bottle, I don't buy it. My mom scared me with a story about formaldehyde. Her roommate in college almost lost the tip of her finger from using a nail product (polish, maybe?) with formaldehyde in it . Apparently it caused a really bad infection. I am not sure if my mom is 100% clear on the the exact details (neither is she) but she said she definitely almost had to have her finger tip amputated from some sort of nail product.

I really don't like the idea of formaldehyde because of it's carcinogenic properties. But I have little choice over how much I am exposed to it since pretty much everything has it in it. It's used in so many products from plastic bins to wallpaper and gases off slowly exposing humans to it. Industries are becoming somewhat aware of it so there are some products you can buy that don't use it such as insulation. It is used as a binding agent in resins and because it is inexpensive so many companies use it. Have you ever gotten a sore throat, burning eyes, or a headache after being in a room with new carpeting? Formaldehyde is more than likely the culprit.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |