Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Obagi and Sodium Laurel Sulphate??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
OK, I have edited this, as I am truly puzzed by the ingredients of Obagi vitamin C serums and really want to have an answer to this.

Why does it have SLS (Sodium Laurel Sulphate) in it??

This IS the stuff we all avoid in shampoos, right? Isn't it for lathering? And if it IS, then in Japan our laws state that it can only be used in products that are completely washed off the body (ie soaps and shampoos).

Confused

I even went off to the Renew Skincare site to see what they said about SLS and it was:
that Sodium lauryl Sulphates primary function is to make cleansers, shampoo, etc., later and foam. SLS is potentially harmful and has been shown to be the cause of various skin problems and irritations. It also has a drying effect on the skin making it unsuitable for facial cleansers.

So again, I ask..why is SLS in a vitamin c serum?? Maybe carekate or darren or another of our alchemists can explain to me...

Ingredient list:
Water, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Ascorbate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Fragrance, Sorbitol, Zinc Cloride, Calcium Hydroxide, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Bisulfite.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone have any idea how come this Obagi has SLS in it when it is not a product that needs to foam up?

I am really surprized it is there - is it OK in the US for products to contain SLS if they are not rinsed off the body??
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:45 am      Reply with quote
giving this a bump
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:49 am      Reply with quote
knowing nothing about obagi products, but it does sound very strange with sls in a serum or any sort of product that stays on skin...

Obagi would be my best bet at answering why...

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:53 am      Reply with quote
my experience, Ruth, is that if you ask a question like this to a cosmetic company you will never get an answer. I wrote to Decleor once bout some ingredients and heard nothing... Neutral
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi tiger_tim - I just Googled SLS and read that it can facilitate absorption, which is probably why it's in a C serum.
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Funny you mentioned this Tiger Tim,about a week ago I looked up Obagi Vit C. and thought the same thing you mentioned. Very puzzling, one reason I probably would not purchase their Vit. C. Confused

5% products discount

Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:33 am      Reply with quote
I just ordered the Obagi starter kit from EDS and did not even get it yet, and was wondering how you like it on asian skin. Have you seen the transformation everyone is talking about. How would you compare it to other whitening products on the market. I really dont have any skin problems. I am just looking for brighter clearer skin.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:52 am      Reply with quote
The only Obagi I ever tried was a sample of their 10% serum (the one sold in Japan) and I really liked the feel of it and how soft my skin became...

I was seriously going to buy this to compare to my current Cellex-C/Hydra serum combo, but after seeing SLS in it, there aint no way on earth I would buy it.

I am going to go check the Japan formula and see if it is listed .... like I said, I have read the laws here in Japan and SLS must only be in products that are washed off the skin. hmm

Will report back.

Song, good luck with the starter kit, I have not used the rest of their line, but it is very popular here in Japan!
Song*
5% products discount

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:08 am      Reply with quote
I am a true product junky. I tried everything there is. I get so excited about new products I see and read about. I buy about 500US dollars of product a month and have tons of stuff in my bathroom used.
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
OMG Song, $500.00 per month Shock

Have you tried any type of laser treatments or chemical peels? Vitamin C is great for brightening the skin. Hope you like the Obagi, let's us know. Smile

5% products discount

Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
That's the next step for me. I really dont have bad skin. I'm just turned 24. I have a few breakouts a week before my period, which leave a few dark marks(very small). I am just starting to notice very light sun spots(no one notices but me). I do have dull skin. I want brighter and even tone skin. Last month I started the Biomedic peels (6 treatments for 350.00. I just got my 4th peel yesterday(I do see a difference but not much). I also brought the Biomedic cleanser, toner, sunblock, C serum from Obagi, and Photo+(Total was $580.00. I just ordered for this month Obagi starter kit from EDS(didnt get it yet). I also ordered from Lovelyskin 3 neova products. Platinumskincare ordered copper peptides serum, eye cream, and drying lotion for acne. Skinwest MD Forte cleanserIII, LotionIII, Rej. Lotion III for night, Hydrating gel, and Kinerase spray mist. I hope this will keep me busy for a while, but I just get bored. So far for feb I spent over $500 as well. I have decided to try a TCA peel at home, since its a deeper peel then the Glycolic biomedic peel.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
Song*:

I thought I am the biggist junky here, but you are much worse then me! I have a reason to be a big junky, I'm 46. YOU ARE ONLY 24!!! For last 6 months I spent thousands, thousands of $$$$ on Skin Care. I bought almost everything with good review. Now, I have boxes of skin care in my closet. My last crazy purchase was 16.5 oz Creme De La Mer. I still have 1/2 jar full and I already gave my relatives about 6 oz. My husband, relatives, friends get to use most of my "inventory". Now I put Dr. Perricone's face lift on my legs. I just purchaed ISClinical products from EDS and I promised myself I will not buy anything else until I finished all ISClinical serum.

5% products discount

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
Song* ~
Hi, if I may be so bold, I wanted to say something to you based on my years of skin care experience (I will be fifty in May!!!!).
I have always valued a quality skin care regime ~ and I do get compliments on my complexion ~ I am not bothered that you spend a lot on products; I, too (like the poster above) , own the VAT of Creme de la Mer (I love it!), but I am concerned about peels, etc.
I have read the books by Paula Begoun and while I do not always agree with her evaluations, I do think that her premise that we basically only need THREE skin care products = gentle cleanser, SUNSCREEN, and moisturizer for dry spots = is a good one.
Serums ARE fun to use!! But, I have seen people RUIN their skin with peels and really, really regret them (even people that have them professionally done.)
It is just that peels can be dangerous and do permanent damage.
Please be careful with the great skin you have now and treat it gently.
I hope you take this in the manner it is intended ~ I am just concerned you may do damage that you will later regret.
I had a skin cancer this year on my nose (basal cell carcinoma, so not life-threatening), so I am a huge proponent of sunscreen usage every day.
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Song,
The above poster gave you some really good advice Exclamation Overexfoliating the skin can actually CAUSE hyperpigmentation. I strongly caution you to be very careful in your product useage. I really don't see the need to do a TCA peel, Obagi and continue with the Biomedic peels. Frankly it's a bit much..in fact crazy. You yourself said that you have fairly good skin. Also, are you aware that using products containing cooper (Neova) will actually cancel out the affects of Vit. C (Obagi)? Perhaps I misunderstood "how/when" you will be using these products.

I mention all of this because, well, just because I am a caring person. Smile Please, please, take it easy on your skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Just a follow-up, I purposely went looking for the Obagi 20% here in Tokyo... AND... it does NOT contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate!! In fact, the ingredients list seemed quite a bit shorter than that listed in my first post above. I did not have a pen and paper to scratch them all down though.

One thing I noted.. they call it "Obagi Japan Line" so I presume that most formulas would be different. Now why can't they just leave out the nasties worldwide??
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |