Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

preservative-free products
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
Who knows which skincare products are preservative-free? The one I know is Decleor.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
I think Jurlique doesn't use preservative.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
Decleor does actually use preservatives - parabens. One of the products I had from them had parabens listed on the box.

Jurlique lists grapefruit seed extract as their "preservative" as do many other so-called "preservative free" lines. However, grapefruit seed extract on its own is not considered strong enough to give any lasting protection from bacteria. There is some interesting reading about this on the Avalon Organics website. they are actually developing their own natural preservative to avoid using both grapefruitseed extract and parabens.

The only kind of "preservative free" items you should use are ones you make yourself and use up quickly. A little preservative is a lot better than bacterial growth in your serum or cream.

That being said, I avoid creams loaded with parabens, but some companies, including and EDS-poster favorite, Pure Skin Forumlations, have just a little paraben (usually the last ingredient) to provide enough preservative to make it safe. I always look at the ingredients carefully as to how high up the list the parabens are listed and how many different parabens there are.

Moreover, just because a label does not list paraben, do not automatically assume that there are none in there. In some countries, if the level of paraben present in a product is less than the government's "minimum" then it does not have to go on the label. Of course the company would not be able to tout their product as preservative-free or paraben-free and to be 100% honest, this is something that bothers me about Jurlique.

I can tell you for a fact that in Japan, the government will not allow the sale of a product that uses grapefruit seed extract in the role of preservative BUT Japan does have a baseline level for Parabens and if the content is less than that baseline it does not have to be listed on the label. I have tried to find something with Jurlique promoting chemical or paraben free but cannot.. all I find is that is is natural or whatever. I wrote to Jurlique to inquire what they do about preservatives (quoting the government standard in Japan) and whether they have a special formula for Japan but never got an answer. oh surprize.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:25 am      Reply with quote
Companies that I love that use natural preservatives or no preservatives: Aubrey Organics, Dr. Hauschka and Lavera.
skinprofusion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
I think Jurlique doesn't use preservative.
they don't use parabens, but they do use another forum of preservative, it's a very long word and it's at the end of almost every product of theirs, Missence is the only one I know is 110% preservative free
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:28 am      Reply with quote
is Hydroxymethylglycinate the one you mean in Jurlique?

I just searched some reviews I did and three of them have it. (deep penetrating mask, cleansing lotion, rose hand cream).
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
I doubted why the Decleor web-site states that it is preservative-free. The sales girl also said that. One more thing is that I am too late to join EDS skin care forums as I can find more information here.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
It's never too late to join everyone at EDS!!

You had me wondering about Declero too, so I went to the product review board and found my old review of Decleor Hydrotenseur Firming Eye Serum

Quote:
here are the ingredients:
water, glyceryl, polymethacrylate, wheat protein, glycerin, mallow extract, PPG-1 PEG-9 Lauryl Glyclo Ether, propolyene glycol, polyquaternium 1-, pvm/ma copolymer, hyaluronic acid, sorbic acid, sodium dehydro acetate, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, ethylparaben, butylparaben, propylparaben, isobutylparaben (MAN,that's a LOT of parabens...)

All those parabens are preservatives... maybe they meant fragrance free... Razz

I cannot find my paper from the harmonie essientielle cream of theirs that I bought...
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
to: tiger_tim,
It's true, like you said "a little preservative is much better than bacterial growth in the cream". Sometimes we won't be that patient to search whether it contains preservative or not.
Organic
5% products discount

Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
Skinprofusion wrote: Missence is the only one I know is 110% preservative free

I agree with you Skinprofusion...I have been using Miessence for several months now and it is the best thing I did for my skin, it has never ever looked or felt better. They preserve their products with a combination of Honeysuckle extract and essential oils. All the ingredients in their products are 100% benefcial for you!
If anyone wants free samples just visit www.TheOrganicEdge.com and request via email.
Yulia
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have several Dr Hauschka products - Cleansing Cream, Rose Day Cream, Quince Day Cream and Rejuvenating Mask - and all of them started growing mold around the lid after about six weeks of breaking the aluminium seal. I do have a particularly damp bathroom so other people may not have this same problem.

I especially love the Dr H Cleansing Cream, and will definitely continue to use it (I use this up pretty quickly anyway). However, I have started to wonder whether it's better for a product to have a small amount of preservative in it, than for it to become contaminated.

Cheers Smile
Yulia

PS - I have read that parabens are considered to cause less irritation than some other preservatives

[edited to add] tiger_tim I can see now that I have just reiterated what you already said in your post... you probably know more about this than I do Smile
Organic
5% products discount

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi Yulia,

If you bathroom is damp you may want to consider putting your products in the fridge...it will make them cold but will keep mold from growing. Below is a paragraph from a study done by the Breast Cancer Fund on Parabens.

Parabens are synthetic chemicals used as a preservative to inhibit the growth of bacteria, yeasts, and molds. Parabens are known to disrupt endocrine (hormone) function. More than 12 research studies (1) show parabens to have estrogenic activity in animals and in tissue culture. Recent research detected five types of intact parabens in human breast tumors (2). Although not a conclusive link between exposure to parabens and breast cancer, this new research signals the need for a precautionary approach to the manufacture and use of these compounds Shock

You can get the full report at:www.breastcancerfund.org
Yulia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:50 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice, Organic Smile

My skin reacts badly to overly hot or cold temperatures, so I don't really want to keep my skincare in the fridge, although I can see that it would be useful to keep the mold out of the products.

So, re. using products with preservatives, it seems I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't!

I think I'll start taking a "precautionary approach" by only using products with the preservatives listed right at the bottom of the ingredients list.

Cheers Very Happy
Yulia
cashmerelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Decleor does use parabens in a lot of their products, although the iris night balm did not have any. I use jurlique and did not see parabens listed, I doubt very much that they are using them, but the shelf life of the product is shorter. John Masters organics does not use it either and botanical naturals (carina organics is the other name) makes paraben and SLS free products, I order it online in 4 L bottles! I have decided that on the face I will tolerate some stuff with parabens (like makeup that is very good in consistency) but on the body the surface area is much larger and hence I will avoid.
amandaM
5% products discount

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:53 am      Reply with quote
I use Omorovicza and I don't see any preservatives in their products.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
In my opinion, every product should have some type of preservative or another. Without it, your ingredients can very easily be contaminated which would reduce its efficacy
cc428
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:05 am      Reply with quote
I live in Australia and i adore the brand Clove skincare here. Its only got natural preservatives and nothing bad in them. Its the only thing that works on my super sensitive face. Anyways good luck with finding your holy grail product!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:10 am      Reply with quote
Avene has a couple of truly preservative-free products in its Tolerance Extreme line. This is possible because of high-tech packaging that allows the product out but nothing else in. I've tried and liked the cleansing lotion.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
Fancl is perservative-free I believe. The downside is that the products have to be used up between 3-6 months.

I believe Naruko and Lemongrass House too.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:52 am      Reply with quote
If you truly want something that is preservative free consider DIYing. Products don't last long at all with out any preservatives.

Garden of Wisdom uses natural preservatives in their products.
mapple

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
Egyptian Magic Cream is free of preservatives. I use it all around my face including the area around my eyes. But it causes many acne around my neck. It's horrible. The acne only go away after I had facial treatment. The therapist remove them away from my neck and use an electric stun device to kill the bacteria
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Organic wrote:
Hi Yulia,

If you bathroom is damp you may want to consider putting your products in the fridge...it will make them cold but will keep mold from growing. Below is a paragraph from a study done by the Breast Cancer Fund on Parabens.

Parabens are synthetic chemicals used as a preservative to inhibit the growth of bacteria, yeasts, and molds. Parabens are known to disrupt endocrine (hormone) function. More than 12 research studies (1) show parabens to have estrogenic activity in animals and in tissue culture. Recent research detected five types of intact parabens in human breast tumors (2). Although not a conclusive link between exposure to parabens and breast cancer, this new research signals the need for a precautionary approach to the manufacture and use of these compounds Shock

You can get the full report at:www.breastcancerfund.org

That study is still inconclusive as to whether parabens are the actual cause of breast cancer. It was just noted that breast cancer cells had parabens, but we don't know if it's causing cancer yet.

Here's a quick informative video on the usage of parabens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9o6O52wgnA
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:40 am      Reply with quote
If that's the case I wonder why parabens choose to settle in breast tissue? What about other areas with fatty deposits like buttocks and thighs. Buttock cancer?

I still use products with parabens. If the product is really good, I make an exception. But I avoid using products with parabens directly on my breasts, be it body moisturisers or breast serums etc.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:06 am      Reply with quote
The reason is that parabens are structurally similar to estrogen, and they can mimic the functions of estrogen in the body. (Unopposed estrogen therapy is thought to cause breast cancer.) For people who are super-sensitive to hormone fluctuations, it's smart to avoid parabens.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
oic ... thanks for sharing. I learnt something new!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |