Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
retinol vs. glycolic acid
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tthagen1
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:31 am      Reply with quote
what is the difference between retinol and glycolic acid......if any?

would different people benefit more from one than the other
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
I prefer retinol. I think its because of the texture. Usually glycolic acid prudcts feels really sticky on the skin. It doesn't soak in. I like how retinol product like skinceutical's soaks right in and leave no residual feelings.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi tthagenl - I believe both are very good. Retinol is a Vitamin A derivitive (retinoic acid), and glycolic acid is derived from sugar. I can't tolerate retinol use on a nightly basis, so I alternate with various other acid products. But some nights I forego any acids to give my skin a rest. I never use these during the day, and always wear sunscreen when I'm outdoors.

If acne is an issue, both will really help clear it up. Otherwise, I'd say that age could be a determining factor -- if you're older, use retinol because it's more penetrating and can help firm the skin and reduce wrinkling. If you're younger, glycolics would be very good for refining/smoothing the surface of your skin and reducing any fine lines.

If you're pregnant or planning to become pregnant, you shouldn't use any retinoid products.

Oops - I just noticed you're 47 Rolling Eyes I'd still consider using both -- you may be like me and have trouble using retinol more than a couple of times a week. It's very drying, and I use Vit.C serum every morning, which helps a lot. A glycolic product would be good to use on other nights.
tthagen1
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
what retinol product do you use and what glycolic product have you used
Ssue
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:00 am      Reply with quote
I also use both to treat aging skin. I use a glycolic gel because it absorbs well, then I put a vitamin A retinyl palmitate (by Derma E), over the glycolic.

I have rather sensitive skin and the retinyl palmitate is a milder version of the heavy hitting retinol.

I do spot treat the brown age spots with retinol, but only for a week or so then I need to give my skin a rest for another week or so because it does get quite irritated.

The retinol does a very good job in getting rid of the age spots though- if your skin can tolerate it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi tthagenl - I use SkinCeuticals .5% retinol. I recently purchased some 1%, but won't try it until winter's over, and I'm not even sure I'll be able to tolerate it. But retinol is so good at refining and firming the skin, I put up with the irritation and dryness. When it gets to the point where my skin gets crepey from it, I use the PSF Pumpkin Enzyme Peel/Mask which sloughs it off. In the past, I've also used a lactic acid peel from makeupartistschoice to remove crusty skin.

I've tried prescription retinoids, but just can't take the extreme redness, scaliness and irritation they cause me. Others can use them though, so it depends how tough your skin is. Like SSue said, retinyl palmitate is another good retinoid, and by most accounts more easily tolerated.

If you want to try a less expensive and easily available retinoid to test the waters, I'd try Roc, which is sold at many drugstores. If you've never used retinoids or AHAs, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what Roc can do for your skin. It's weaker and gentler than these other products I've mentioned, and a lot cheaper.

The other acids (AHAs, which include glycolic acid)) I use are IS Clinical Firming Complex (my favorite -- it has a low % of AHA, 5% I believe), SkinCeuticals Intense Line Defense (15% and gel-like), and in the past I've used various MD Forte glycolics, which are very good and come in varying strengths. Some varieties are creamy, which would be good for dry skin and/or during winter weather. Their glycolic products for acneic skin are generally in gel form or are less emollient lotions, but would be good to use in humid, sultry weather.

Please don't forget to faithfully use a really effective sunscreen, or else you'll end up doing more harm than good by using these exfoliating products. I use Avene, which is expensive (mainly due to shipping costs) and has to be purchased from European websites or sometimes you can find it on eBay. When I go outdoors without makeup, I use LaRoche Posay Fluide Extreme (also European), which offers superior UVA protection, however its effectiveness is degraded by many metallic makeup ingredients.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |