Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Which SkinCeuticals sunscreen?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
If one's first priority is a clear, non-white, non-sticky finish from a physical sunscreen that is photostable, which of the following would be preferable? Very high UVA protection would be nice, too! lol

Ostensibly, ingredients to avoid in sunscreens are paraben & benzophenones (dixoybenzone, oxybenzone).

I'd love to hear any thoughts regarding the following sunscreens. Do all of them leave a nasty white cast? I'm a La Roche-Posay wearer for SPF every day, but would like to have one of these types of sunscreens on standby, provided it doesn't leave an unattractive, thick cast.

1.) SkinCeuticals Sport UV Defense SPF 45
    Ingredients:
    Octyl Methoxycinnamate Zinc Oxide (Z-Cote HP1) Octyl Salicylate Benzophenone-3 Other Ingredients: Water Aloe Barbadensis Gel Isopropyl Myristate Hydrogenat~d Polyisobutene Diisostearyl Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate Octyl Palmitate Cetyl Dimethicone Tocopheryl Acetate Retinyl Palmitate Magnesium Sulfate Propylene Glycol Hydrogenated Castor Oil Beeswax Diazolidinyl Urea Methylparaben Disodium EDT A Propylparaben Dimethicone

2.) SkinCeuticals Daily Sun Defense SPF 20
    Ingredients: Octyl Methoxycinnamate (SUNCAPS) Zinc Oxide (Z-Cote HP 1 ) Other Ingredients: Water Cyclomethicone Diisopropyl Adipate Synthetic Beeswax Hexylene Glycol PEG-40 Stearate Polyacrylamide C13-l4 Isoparaffin Propylene Glycol Dimethicone Glyceral Stearate PEG-100 Stearate Dimethicone Copolyol Carnauba Wax Glyceral Dilaurate Stearyl Alcohol S tearo xytrim ethy lsilane PEG-20 Cetearyl Alcohol Diazolidinyl Urea Beeswax PVP/Eicosene Copolymer Sorbitan Tristearate Steareth-100 Laureth- 7 Methylparaben Propylparaben

3.) SkinCeuticals Physical UV Defense SPF 30
    Ingredients: Active Ingredients Zinc Oxide 5%, Titanium Dioxide 10% Inactive Ingredients Water, C12 - 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetearyl Alcohol, BIS-PEG/PPG-16/PEG/PPG-16/16 Dimethicone, Aluminum Stearate, Glycerin, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Ceteareth-20, Green Tea Extract, Apple Extract, Citrus Extract, Sugar Cane Extract, Alumina, PVP, Eicosene Copolymer, Polysorbate-20, Dipropylene Glycol, Dibenzoate, Dimethicone, Zanthan Gum, Cetyl Dimethicone, Carbomer, PPG-15, Stearyl Ether Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben.

4.) SkinCeuticals Ultimate UV Defense SPF 30
    Ingredients: Octyl Methoxycinnamate - 7.5% (SUNCAPS), Zinc Oxide - 7.0% (Z-Cote HP1)- Water, cyclomethicone, diisopropyl adipate, synthetic beeswax, hexylene glycol, PEG-40 stearate, c12-15 alkyl benzoaate, glycerin, aluminum starch, octenylsuccinate, polyacrylamide, c13-14 isoparaffin, beeswax, dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, PEG-20, carnauba wax, dimethicone copolyol, PVP/eicosene copolymer, sorbitan tristearate, propylene glycol, stearyl alcohol, glyceryl stearate, glyceryl dilaurate, cetearyl alcohol, stearoxytrimethylsilane, steareth-100, PEG-100 stearate, laureth-7, methylparaben, butylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I currently own the SC 45 and Ultimate 30. I really don't know about this "white cast" because I have not experienced it with these two sunscreens. These are definitely white but they seem to penetrate well, if that is what you are wondering. And I don't get burned. (I spend alot of time outdoors here in the northwest).

My only problem with the 45 is that it is waterproof and sweatproof and so it makes me break out. For daily wear I go with the 30. It spreads nicely, but again I have to use a light coating or it makes me break out. To me it feels more like a thick face cream that won't matte down. Probably because of my skintype. I love to be makeup optional but sometimes a mineral foundation takes right care of any sheen. I do wish I had gone for the 20, I'll bet this would have been perfect...
Mabsy

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:50 am      Reply with quote
I have the SkinCeuticals Ultimate UV Defense SPF 30 and after my recent rather tragic time at the beach, my face and shoulders (the only places that I used the Skincueticals rather than another sunblock of same SPF) were the only ones that were fine. So, as you can imagine, I would highly recommend this.

It *is* white and quite thick but I have not had any problems with it absorbing in and I have also not had a white cast - might depend on how much you use...

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:59 am      Reply with quote
I always like to use about a half teaspoon on my face at least, and think this might possibly provide a white cast. I don't mind what color the actual sunscreenis, provided it is not white a few minutes post-application. Smile

I would just like to have onhand some physical sunscreen in a late-in-the-day emergency that allows me to apply makeup on top if I'm going out that night, and have heard raves about SkinCeuticals. Thanks to both of your recommendations, I think I will try out the Ultimate SPF 30!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
I am using Ultamite SPF 30. I love it but next time I will be trying DDF oil-free SPF 30 sunblock.
I think Skinceuticles is creating blackheads for me and my medication has to work harder to get rid of it.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
I am prone to whiteheads. Please let us know how you like/dislike the DDF oil-free sunblock.
skinprobs

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have very sensitive & fair skin & am allergic to any checical sunscreen I've tried (including Ombrelle). So, I need a good physical sunscreen. Do you have a suggestion or two? I've researched quite a bit & it seems the following are in the running:

Skinceuticals Ultimate Defense (IngR: Zinc Oxide & Octinoxate) You mentioned this is unstable, so not worth wearing though.

DDF Organic (Ingr: Zinc Oxide, Titanium Diox)

Dermalogica (Ingr: Zinc Oxide, Dimethicone, Titanium Diox, Vit E)

Any others you can recommend for good overall (including UVA protection), would be much much appreciated.

Thank you!
Kathie
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
SkinProbs, if it is cosmetic elegance that is your second most important concern (the first being great physical protection, of course!) for a U.S. sunscreen, you might want to try out the MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50, which contains a rather impressive 16.10% zinc oxide. Makeup goes nicely on this, there is no stickiness, no shine, and any white cast subsides a few moments after application.

Seaera
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:53 am      Reply with quote
I've tried the SkinCeuticals Daily Sun Defense SPF 20 which I totally love. It may be better during the fall/winter but you may want to try a higher SPF during the hotter months.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |