Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is there such a thing as moisturising hand gloves
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:12 am      Reply with quote
My hands are always very dry...doing all the housework and washing up. I read somewhere that you could moisturise your hands overnight by wearing gloves...does anyone have any ideas....or any diy recipes for tip top smooth hands....

thanks in advance

regards Karina Very Happy Very Happy
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:37 am      Reply with quote
All you need is a pair of cotton gloves (in the UK, some drugstores sell white ones pretty cheaply) and some good, rich handcream. Slather the handcream liberally all over your hands, massaging it in a bit, then put on the gloves and go to bed, leaving them on overnight.

The next morning, your hands should be lovely and soft.

I like Kiehl's Intensive Treatment for this purpose, but you can use whatever suits your particular skin.

It certainly works for me, far better than just applying handcream during the day.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:43 am      Reply with quote
I have dry-dry-dry hands, and they are always cold. At an after Christmas sale a couple of years ago, I bought one of those hot paraffin wax drip kits. I use it once a week, and it seems to really help with the dryness.

Also, when I started reading about Epidermx I saw a post where someone said, they use it on their hands. I've started doing this also, and it really seems to get the dry skin off, plus gets the blood circulating.

I sometimes use vaseline on my hands before I go to bed. If you have one of those yellow cocoa butter sticks, that works great!!

I know you asked about mosturizing gloves, I hope to read what others have to say because I probably need some too!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:18 am      Reply with quote
Bath and Body Works used to sell spa gloves (and socks). They are lined with some sort of gel that is supposed to help alleviate dry skin. I can't remember if you were also supposed to use a lotion or cream with them, or if the gloves themselves were it.

I haven't been into the shop recently though, so I don't know if they still sell them.

Just checked the website and found this: http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2109995&cp=2073251.2077090&view=all&parentPage=family
Don't know if these are the same ones I used to have, because it doesn't mention anything special about them and the packaging looks different.
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:51 am      Reply with quote
Bath & Body works probably don't ship to UK....but i'll have a look.........i didn't realise that you could get cotton gloves - i was looking at the option of those disposable plastic/rubber gloves........i'll try my local chemist on Monday.......the parafin wax sounds too messy.......and i'm thinking about the time factor - now that i am working 40-50 hours per week and looking after 2 kids...actually make that 3 (husband included).........thanks for all your advice.....very helpful indeed.......i'll try out some of the stuff that you've all recommended....

regard Karina

p.s. i have ordered the epidermx......there seems to be a delay.......demand seems to be exceeding supply...........i can't wait to use it.

My hands have always been dry.......i think it's cause i just can't get used to using rubber gloves when cleaning.......

Marjom....you've saved me a fortune......i was just about to order the Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Hand care set for #25pounds from Strawberry net...just for the sake of the gloves............thanks everyone
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:57 am      Reply with quote
Get some thick clear plastic bags (like bread bags) put tons of cream on your hands, but them in the bad and then put your hands on/under a heating pad...Relax for about 15 min, then wipe of the extra lotion and put on a pair of cotton gloves.

I like the idea of those silicone gloves people mentioned but they're pricey...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
that sounds good too lianne........it would be nice to get a heating impliment just made specially for hands..........now that you mentioned the silicone gloves......that was just what i was thinking of...but i couldn't remember the name............i read about them on eds.............ages ago...........when i did a search.......on 'hands/gloves' i couldn't get to the thread.............i might as carekate to get me some from that department store.......can't remember the name yet again........i think i am working too hard............

regards karina

Just remembered the name.......Sephora......i've pm'd carrie.....to ask her to get me some......she really is too good to us........

Majorb.......just looked up Boots.com.....they sell cotton gloves for 2.49 pounds........sorry my pound sign does not work.......thanks for that
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:53 am      Reply with quote
I think I may be investing in some of those Boots gloves myself Very Happy
I too have been suffering from dry patches on my hands, I have had to take off all my rings as I have been getting dry patches from where I have washed my hands and the water has gathered under my rings.
Neals Yard Base Ointment is the best I have found so far.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:04 am      Reply with quote
You know, I didn't actually realise you were in the UK, Karina. (My eyesight must be appalling, 'cos I've only just seen "LONDON" printed under your username! Laughing )

Yes, I get my cotton gloves in Boots. I usually buy 2 pairs at a time, so I can wash them (in gentle detergent) and always have another pair to use whilst I'm waiting for them to dry. Don't know what I'd do without them now.

rosebud - I've noticed those Neal's Yard Remedies base products for a while and have wondered about using them, and also I believe you can add your own essential oils. Is the ointment very hydrating?
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Majorb.........the Kiehl's Intensive Treatment seems very expensive.............so i am not sure if i'll buy it or not........
Rosebud...........i have always thought Neals Yard remedies to be quite expensive.........

Considering that i spend up to 57 pounds on the Gatineau anti aging cream - then i suppose i can fork out for the above creams......

regard Karina
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a pair of 'sleeping gloves' for sale which are designed to wear over lotion covered hands while you sleep:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=5518&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=4&iSubCat=164&iProductID=5518
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:13 am      Reply with quote
This is cheap, easy and VERY good. Get some Vaseline, Spenco Second Skin Quick Heal and either cotton gloves or white cotton socks. The last thing before going to bed, soak you hands in a bowl of warm water with a wee drop of baby shampoo or hand dish detergent in the bowl. Pat dry. In the palm of one hand, mix a glob of Vaseline and a glob of Spenco with your index finger. (You don't need a lot of Spenco and can use only Vaseline if you wish.) Slather the mixture on both hands, cover with gloves or socks and go to bed. Soft hands in the morning Very Happy

Spenco Second Skin Quick Heal can be found in your local drug store in the Band Aid area. You might have to ask your druggest for it. It's about $9 US. The reason it's so good is that it has a lot of HA, which is one of the best moisturizers on the market.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Karina -www.strawberrynet.com are selling the big 8 fl oz (that's about 230ml) tub of Kiehl's Intensive Treatment for approx £30, including p&p. They say that they also refund customs fees at their discretion, but I've no experience with that yet - although I am awaiting a delivery of Kiehl's for the first time myself.

This tub lasts for months and months and months, especially if, like me, you're only using it on your hands at night.

Otherwise, there are some good eBay sellers from whom I've bought Kiehl's products in the past. It's been quite a while, but one of the best I dealt with was brooklyn_kate.

I just wish I could go over to the States myself. I'd spend hours in the Kiehl's shop! I hear they're very generous with samples, too.

Anyway, before you think of splashing out on the Kiehl's Intensive Treatment, it might be a good idea to pop along to your nearest Space NK. You should be able to try some there, plus they may even given you a sample to take home with you.

As for Neal's Yard Remedies, not all of their products are as expensive as you might imagine. I was pleasantly surprised. It's generally very good stuff, too. I love it.
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Marjob.........i used to order from Strawberrynet all the time about 3 years ago.......i used to get charged customs all the time...12pounds + and i did get my customs charges refunded to me.........but my last 3 refunds did not get through..........my letter was returned from Hong Kong...........I have spent the last 3 years ordering TSV (Today's Special Values) in bulk....i only just threw away 3 melatoginine anti aging creams by Gatineaux worth 55 pounds each...and 5 throat creams by the same company worth 30 pounds each...because they were out of date..........now i only order when i have run out of stuff.......

I will look at the Keihl cream some time next month............I went to get the cotton gloves from Boots today......they did not have any...........they recommended that i go to a bigger branch........

Donnababe............The Spenco, i suspect is only available in USA.........but i will try out the vaseline thing you suggested............

regards Karina
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
Spenco is an Italian company and I think I once heard it's sold in the UK. Keep an eye out for it and good luck on your quest for soft hands!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
I'll let you know whether I have luck with customs fees refund from them. I heard that they were supposed to be pretty good, but obviously not always, eh? Crying or Very sad

If you have a lot of stuff to buy from boots.com, they do free delivery - but you have to spend something like £45 to get it. They definitely stock the cotton gloves. Otherwise, a bigger branch really seems to be your best bet.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:25 am      Reply with quote
KARINA wrote:
that sounds good too lianne........it would be nice to get a heating impliment just made specially for hands..........now that you mentioned the silicone gloves......that was just what i was thinking of...but i couldn't remember the name............i read about them on eds.............ages ago...........when i did a search.......on 'hands/gloves' i couldn't get to the thread.............i might as carekate to get me some from that department store.......can't remember the name yet again........i think i am working too hard............

regards karina

Just remembered the name.......Sephora......i've pm'd carrie.....to ask her to get me some......she really is too good to us........

Majorb.......just looked up Boots.com.....they sell cotton gloves for 2.49 pounds........sorry my pound sign does not work.......thanks for that

There is a heating mitt for hands. I'm pretty sure it was made by nailtiques but it's expensive. I remember them using one the last time I had a manicure done...but they had me use plastic baggies on my hands too (hygeine thing I think)

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
Heating mitts...........they do sound expensive........i'll check them out as well...........

i'll do a search for Spenco.............

Marjob.........I'll go to Boots next week on my day off..

regards karina

and thanks for all you helpful replies.

What would i do without eds Wink
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |