Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Trick to finding good jobs?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
I'm wondering what the trick is to finding a GOOD job.

I just finished a business diploma and am getting so frustrated. Everyone wants someone with a Bachelors or Masters..or with lots of experience. I don't even match the qualifications to be a secretary b/c they all want 2 years experience.

AGH. I went on one interview that I think I'll get called back about, but I'm not sure the position is right for me.

I just applied at a temp/placement agency. Tomorrow I'm going to start bugging my dad's friends...

Anyone got tips to find a good job?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
You know, a lot of the time it is pure dumb luck, but the other thing is just get in and give it a go.

- really do keep an eye out on the classifieds. You never know what turns up when.

- find a decent looking job but there is something you are not quite qualified to do? Still put in your application. Trust me a huge amount of applicants are never qualified and if a company cannot find someone exactly who they want, they are often willing to overlook some aspects of the listed qualifications.

- just get out and send letters. If you have any kind of job you really want or companies you would like to work for, then get out and send a resume. Some companies never bother to advertise because they just keep resumes on file and use those to satisfy position openings(this is how I first got into the airline industry). If you are talking about a big company, take anything you can get to start because a lot of them "promote from within" so only the very bottom or very top openings ever get advertised.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:41 am      Reply with quote
My advice is to network and to BE PERSISTENT. I've gotten jobs just because I called and showed up constantly. Always be very polite and professional, and follow up interviews with a note or an email to say thank you. Sign up for any courses that might give you more career skills.

The jobs I've gotten that I was most unqualified for were jobs I've found through people I know - so ask around!!

If you fall short of the experience requirements for a job, give them reasons how you make up for lacking experience with other qualities and experiences.

Lastly...go back to school! If a Bachelor's Degree is really what it takes it might be worth going back and getting it done.
SourApple
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
Online job sites!! Monster.com, careerbuilder.com but be careful for scams!
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
Our hospital will hire the temps on as permanent. Temping is a good way to find out if you "mesh" with the place/people. You just may find some permanent employment that way.

I work with nurses during their first orientation week at our hospital. I've seen staff FALL ASLEEP in general hospital orientation-I mean seriously, if you can't stay up-stay home!!! Laughing
Be on time..a no brainer-one would think. If I have 10 people, 2 will be at least 15 mins late at least some point in the week.
Dress nice, if its a professional environment, dress as such.
GOOD LUCK!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips ladies,

I've sent my resume to a few temping agencies and applied at a bunch of stuff on monster.ca I spent about 5 hours yesterday just getting stuff out there. Hopefully something comes back soon!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Does your university have an alumni directory with where people are working. My dh followed me on a job and we sent over 100 letters many to alumni who were helpful (this was many years ago but inside contact helps). If someone shows any interest find out everything you can about the company and the job. Alo on your resume put something interesting and unusual about yourself. It has to be short but when there are many, many resumes and many good people something that shows imagination/breadth/spark.

Good luck
maddy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi-

firstly good luck with the career hunt. I do hope you find something soon.

I just finished my degree and found a position by networking- I went to a conference and then emailed people who were likely to hire me. I was offered three positions out of this- and two weren't advertised so unless I had emailed them I wouldn't have known. Go to a head lecturer or teacher that you liked, or someone else in the field to get some hints on who you whould be contacting about it.

Am sure something will happen for you soon. But good luck with it all! And hope this helps a little
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
sharky,
My college has no alumni directory. They are so disorganized it's not funny. They need a serious overhaul. Basically they have a section of postings in monster.ca.

maddy,
that's a great idea. I had one amazing teacher who I'm sure will help me out if I ask. He already agreed to give me a reference so I doubt he'll mind this.

The good news is I got a call from a local bank to go in for an information/recruitment session. Also the place I mentioned I had an interview called to find out what kind of wage I wanted..but I think they got scared off when I told them (I highballed b/c they didn't offer any benefits at all). oh well, I said negotiable..they can counteroffer.

*sighs* I'm so tired of this...Can't I just win the set for life or payday lottery...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
My strategy can be summed up in three words: Lie with confidence.

I applied for jobs I wanted, not jobs I was qualified for. I convinced them I could do the job because I was really convinced myself.

I took a job in Vancouver as office manager for an event production company. A few days before, my boyfriend and I had bought a computer and put MS Word on it. I hadn't had much time to play with it yet but when the person interviewing me asked if I was familiar with the program, I said, "Yes, that is what we have at home". I was so clueless that when she asked me to type a letter I didn't know how to underline something. I told her I thought she was running a newer version and could she tell me how to underline. A few months after taking the job I was overhauling their whole system, installing new software and helping put together proposals in Adobe Pagemaker and Corel Draw. A year later I left that job to be a cook on a liveaboard dive boat in the Bahamas making breakfast, lunch, hors d'oevres, dinner and dessert for 22 people on 7 day trips. Before taking that job I mostly cooked bean and cheese burritos and microwave popcorn but I wanted to do it and I convinced the owner that I could. These days I'm posing as a chef on a yacht.

My brother in law is really wealthy and retired when he was 32. After he finished college he heard of a job he wanted. They wanted somebody with an engineering degree which he didn't have so he engineered one! He had a friend of his father's pose as a reference for him. He got the job. Yes, it was a dishonest way of getting it, but he did the job so well and was making so much money on commission that he was making more than the CEO and they tried to put him on salary. He threatened to leave and they basically paid him to retire from the business.

I'm not saying print up a medical degree and start doing plastic surgery but if it's not that big a stretch and you believe you can do the job, go for it!

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:18 am      Reply with quote
I agree ... lie!! Enthusiasm will compensate for lack of experience. I believe there is an inverse relationship between enthusiasm and experience, that is to say, you start off having little experience but loads of enthusiasm...and end up having loads of experience and little experience. Its knowing whn to jump off that is the trick.

Good luck!
The Jerk

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:20 am      Reply with quote
that last sentence should read.......and end up having loads of experience and little enthusiasm.

I am not called The Jerk for nothing!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
It is just plain luck if you can find a job or who you know. I know a company who refuse to employ university students because when the CEO tried to get a job, they did not pick him because he does not have university education. That really pissed him off! He could not afford university and eventually started his own business. He is doing really well, has over 140 people employed with this company. He does give university students a chance at a job interview and found that do not not know how to interact with people as well as the ones that do not have university education.

Keep networking and don't throw your money to a university.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
I hadn't seen my thread come back up so I just read all the new tips now.

I seem to be having a bit more luck now. I got offered a job this week, but I declined because I know it's not the right one for me. I'd rather find something that is a good fit than just taking something for the sake of it (b/c I know once I have something there won't be as much time to find the 'right' job). I've been to a few more interviews and am getting more of a positive attitude. I went to an interview on thursday at a place I really really want to work at so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's a fairly basic entry-level job but everyone has to start out at the bottom with this company.

I'm trying to keep positive...I need to get a bit better on 'bending' the truth

Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I have also noticed that I am not getting e-mail when someone updated this thread. Surprised

I wish you all the best. Smile
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hey lianne - Any update on your job situation?
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
I just got a job this week. (I was kinda slow at it, huh?) It's not exactly what I want, but it's in banking which was what I wanted...I'll be a teller at one of the big banks. I start out in a temp pool type thing. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do school again in september so it'll work out well.

I realized I'm underqualified for the jobs I want, and overqualified for most others. Oh well...this is a start. At least I can shop again Very Happy

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
lianne wrote:
I just got a job this week. (I was kinda slow at it, huh?) It's not exactly what I want, but it's in banking which was what I wanted...I'll be a teller at one of the big banks. I start out in a temp pool type thing. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do school again in september so it'll work out well.

I realized I'm underqualified for the jobs I want, and overqualified for most others. Oh well...this is a start. At least I can shop again Very Happy

Congratulations! That's great! Even if this is not your dream job, it's experience towards it and a foot in the door and hence also room for advancement once they realise how good you are! Plus, there is the nice money aspect as well Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
That's great news! Even if you don't like it at least you have employment while you continue looking.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
You did the right thing. Taking employment now will help you. It always seems to me it's easier to find a job when you are already working somewhere.

Anyway, congratulations!
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Hey Congrats! At least you're in the field you want. Banks are a great place to start - lots of opportunity and flexibility. Good luck with the new job and new in Sept. Smile
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks girls. I went in today to open a bank account with them and the girl that helped me said there's always in branch positions available, but to work the pool for a bit and decide which location I like.

Sounded like their is lots of opportunity...

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
Congratulations Exclamation

Good luck for starting there and I do hope this is the first step towards where you want to be. I am sure you will enjoy it all
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |