Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hair Color Glazes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Caspers Mum

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
Both Clairol and John Frieda have recently introduced "glazes" to the haircare market. These products enhance the shine of colored hair. As I have blonde hair and highlights, I'm wondering if anyone has tried either of these? I am more interested in he John Frieda product than Clairol's Nice & Easy.

http://www.johnfrieda.com/products/lcg/WhatIsGlazing.asp
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Great! I'll anxiously await the replies on this as I was just about to post the same thing. Very Happy
ErinChristine
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
I am currently using the John Frieda Color Glaze for Blond. It's ok. My hair isn't as shiny as if I had a glaze put on at the salon but my hair is softer. You are supposed to put it on after every shampoo or atleast 3x a week. Overall, I am not very impressed with it and probably will not buy it again. I may try Clairols. I do like to use Neutral hennas on my hair for shine and as a color sealant. Henna works well but it is messy to apply and wash out...
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I was jazzed to read about these new color glazes in one of my beauty mags this weekend, but I just checked the reviews on MUA and they are overwhelmingly BAD!!!!! http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=74525/Luminous_Color_Glaze/John_Frieda/Treatments/ and http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=74309/Natural_Instincts_Shine_Happy_clear_shine_treatment/Clairol/Treatments/

I think I'll stick with my "Herbal Shine Booster" additive that I order from The Personal Formulator, instead:

For added shine…….Herbal Shine Booster: Chamomile Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract (and) Melissa Officinalis (Balm Mint) Extract. This special herbal extract blend promotes shine to hair.

I add a tablespoon of this to my regular bottle of shampoo and conditioner and it works very well. That, combined with the honey and ACV that I mixed in to my tub of Biolage Conditioning Balm and apply after every shampoo almost makes my beloved Paves Shine Serum or Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Creme redundant!!

If you *really* have your hearts set on using a clear shine glaze like those from Clairol and John Frieda, I know that they have similar products available at Sally’s Beauty supply stores, although I don’t know the name of them off-hand. Let me check in to it and post the info later....

ETA: When I colored my hair this weekend (with Wella Color Charm from Sallys – the greatest DIY hair color under the sun), I added a capful of the “Herbal Shine Booster” from TPF to the hair dye mixture just for grins and my hair turned out even more shiny and gorgeous than usual! I highly recommend that everyone picks up a little bottle of this wonder to add to all your regular/fave shampoos and/or conditioners – it’s the best $5.50 you’ll spend this week/month/year!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Caspers Mum: Any idea where I can get my hands on these "glazes" in/near Vancouver Confused Always on the lookout for products that add shine Very Happy
nmrainbow

Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:41 am      Reply with quote
I use the glaze in red and have noticed increased shine and more vibrant color.
Caspers Mum

Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
cbrooke wrote:
Hey Caspers Mum: Any idea where I can get my hands on these "glazes" in/near Vancouver Confused Always on the lookout for products that add shine Very Happy

I've seen them at Shoppers and at Safeway, so I'm sure that London Drugs, Zellers, Walmart, etc. will also have these in stock. I believe they will be going on-sale at Shoppers this weekend.
Caspers Mum

Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
ErinChristine wrote:
I am currently using the John Frieda Color Glaze for Blond. It's ok. My hair isn't as shiny as if I had a glaze put on at the salon but my hair is softer. You are supposed to put it on after every shampoo or atleast 3x a week. Overall, I am not very impressed with it and probably will not buy it again. I may try Clairols. I do like to use Neutral hennas on my hair for shine and as a color sealant. Henna works well but it is messy to apply and wash out...

My hair is medium blonde, and I have white/bleach blonde highlights throughout. I wonder if the Platinum glaze would make these appear more bright, or if the entire color would change. Maybe I'm best to stick with using my ArTec "White Violet" (purple) shampoo.
lola
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi Nmrainbow,
Which Glaze did u try in red? The John Frieda or the Clairol? I have red hair and I'm really curious about trying one of these.

Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
I used the John Freida glaze,not his shampoo or conditioner. For that I use Artec or Fredric Fekai (sp?) Keeping red hair color from fading is an ongoing battle. The glaze seems to be a winner. I purchased it at Walgreens.
lola
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks nmrainbow,

Can't wait to try it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:25 am      Reply with quote
I just bought Natural Instincts Clear Gloss...will do it on the weekend and let everyone know how it goes Laughing
I was going to get the Nice & Easy one but then I thought what if it screws up my color Confused I pay enough at the salon Rolling Eyes to get it bleached platinum blonde that I would be super mad if the color changed Mad So I will just try and add some shine...wish me luck Very Happy
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I was just at Walgreens picking up cough drops so I don't spend half the night coughing like i did last night Sad and I swung down the hair isle. They have a $1.50 off coupon for the john freida glaze, so now would be a good time to try with a little discount.
power1080
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
anyone ever try a glaze for brunette/black hair? i have been wanting to do it but do not know if its worth it... are they all generally multiple applications a week?
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:36 am      Reply with quote
I tried the John Freida for Dark Brown hair...not impressed. It has a really strong smell...not bad just really strong which I hate and it is hard to rinse out (it makes your hair look really greasy if you dont get it all out). Overall I have found better shine products that you put on after you blow dry.
Caspers Mum

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
I broke-down, and bought a bottle a few weeks ago. I agree with the last post: I hate the smell! It's too perfumey! And I hate overly-fragrant hair products! Also, the stuff made my scalp itch!

I might as well have bought more Terax Crema for it's price; I can get Crema cheaper. I'll stick to using my ARTec "White Violet" shampoo, Suave conditioner, and Terax Crema for treatments.
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
I posted this on another thread because I didn't see this one. I want to add my thoughts to this thread:

The last time I was in WM I saw a new Clairol Natural Instincts product called "Shine Happy"--a clear shine treatment promoted to "Put healthy-looking shine and silkiness back into your hair . . . adds beautiful shine for most types of hair: natural, permed, highlighted or color-treated!" I thought it would be fun to give it a try since I use the Natural Instincts hair color to keep the grays at bay.
What a disappointment! It dulled my hair, made it feel limp, and took out a lot of the color. Isn't this the extreme opposite of what it is supposed to do?! It was a waste of money and I feel like I ended up with damaged hair. Needless to say, I don't recommend this product to anyone!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Personally Henna works better for me than the glaze. Henna enrich the colour and makes my hair appear fuller. Glaze effect doesn't last on my hair.
muzzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 4:07 am      Reply with quote
I bought this one too ( just released here in Australia this month) and was a bit disappointed too... the texture is sort of like chocolate custard ( I got the amber to maple light brown one) and you use it AFTER conditioning and as soon as you apply it you can feel the "slip" of the conditioner immediately removed. So it seems a wee bit drying.. I did feel fairly shiny though and colour change isnt yet apparent but only used a few times.
The other thing is that like someone said you have to realllllly rinse .... I found it was "smoking" when I blew my hair dry ( hate that!) .... I know its only product burning away but it is not cosmetically appealing! Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:37 am      Reply with quote
i've had a bottle of John Freida in Dark brown in my cabinet for a few weeks. Last night, after reading some of the unhappy posts, i thought that i would give it a try...\

well, my method was slightly different to what is recommended. I combed the product through my dry hair(saturated it)evenly distributed and then got in the shower,avoiding getting my hair wet with i did the rest of the grooming essentials(shaving etc). So,,,after about 10 minutes of this stuff sitting on my dry hair, i rinsed well with warm water and then i shampooed twice to remove the last of the residue. I then carried on with the usual hair styling routine. My hair has a slightly richer tone and nice shine to it today. I think the addition to dry hair helped the colour sink in and then the two washes got rid of any heavy greasies. I think that i will continue to use this product this way because my hair felt and looked good and is nice and soft.

Just my .02 cents...maybe you ladies with leftover product could try my method and you may like the results too....

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I have tried the John Frieda color glaze in Espresso. I think it is ok. It does make your hair shiny...I have gotten compliments but I find it hard to get out of my hair. I have started blow drying my hair and realized that I needed to rinse again. I think over time it builds up on your hair too. I have to use a clarifying shampoo since I started using it. I like the idea of using the glossing product after I towel dry. I use Oscar Blandi jasmine hair serum after I towel dry my hair just before I blow dry. It makes my hair shine and it washes out...no build up.
muzzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Rosyface... Ooh I will definitely give that a try... I had put my bottle away and I didnt really want to do that... you've inspired me! Thanks!Smile

Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |