Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
My first batch of vitamin C
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
I am excited and bubbly just thinking about buying my ingredients today for making Carekate's infamous C serum. There is alot of info on this site that can get a bit overwhelming and confusing. Here is my understanding so far of how to use it. I'd love any feedback, please correct me if I am wrong...

a batch lasts about one week in the fridge. It is best to dissolve the powder in the water first, then add the propylene glycol. Many powders that say "ascorbic acid" are pure l-ascorbic without fillers. I can use my filtered water from my fridge as "distilled" water.

Thanks in advance to all experienced users!
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi PNW,

I don't know how "filtered" water compares to "distilled" water.

"Distilled" water is "dead" water. In other words, it's devoid of any metals etc that might grow or contribute to bacteria growth in your serum.

I purchase distilled water right in my grocery store ... for about 99 cents for 4L.

However, according to the Biochemistry of Beauty book that I purchased, if a bottle of distilled water has been open for three days or longer, you should boil it before using it in stuff.

That said, I'd imagine that filtered water would certainly be better than tap water, it's probably better to use distilled if you can get it.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Mary!
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, yes. I have one more question.

Is the powder form of ascorbic acid Carekate uses better than what I can get at the personal formulator?
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
pnw wrote:
Oh, yes. I have one more question.

Is the powder form of ascorbic acid Carekate uses better than what I can get at the personal formulator?

It's the same stuff hon. I have both. As long as it's powdered.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Candy. I really appreciate it. You're an angel. Angel
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
pnw wrote:
Thank you Candy. I really appreciate it. You're an angel. Angel

I'll remind hubby of that when I get home tonight. He called me a few things, don't think Angel was one of them. Rolling Eyes Heh, heh - that's ok, wait til he sees my next CC statement!!

Warning you now PNW - this DIY is TOTALLY addicting!! I now have made so much stuff I bring it to work to give the girls. LOL, they now are placing orders. Like I don't have enough to do...well, at least I enjoy this.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hey, every girl needs a hobby! And since I quit smoking and drinking what else is there? Anxious

This is my eyes after hours and hours of reading DIY threads on the computer.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:21 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:

However, according to the Biochemistry of Beauty book that I purchased, if a bottle of distilled water has been open for three days or longer, you should boil it before using it in stuff.

thanks for this info...I did not know this!!!!
Chrissie

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:47 am      Reply with quote
I got my supplies last night!!!! Yippee!

Now for the hard part - the math Rolling Eyes

The recipe calls for 5ml water, 5 ml PG and 1/4 tsp. vitamin C. (I hope I got this right)

I will look for something that measures in ml's today. But in the meantime my conversion calculator shows that 5ml of liquid is equal to 1.015 teasp.

Would it be correct, then, to just use 1 teasp. water, 1 teasp. PG and 1/4 teasp. C?
I'm Kiki
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
pnw, yes, those are the correct measurements.. I had to convert them too...LOL I just use my measuring spoons...
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Kiki! Here I go......
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:22 am      Reply with quote
So here is my review:

I mixed the crystals in water first and let it sit for about an hour before adding the propylene glycol. In between I shook vigorously a few times. It didn't all completely dissolve but almost. (Had tons of fun with the mad scientist measuring tools provided by TPF in my order Smile ) Several times had to resist the urge to rinse my tools under tap water and remind myself to use the distilled. After adding the PG I shook it again and put it in the fridge overnight.

This morning I put it on. It was slightly watery in my hands, totally clear, but after I put it on my skin it felt a little sticky. Took about 45 min. to dry and now my skin is soooo soft.

I wonder....do I have to wait until it completely dries before adding any moisturizer or sunscreen?
Kirstin
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
PNW may I ask, did the crystals ever dissolve completely for you, or is there still some residue. I mistakenly added all the ingredients together rather than the distilled water first, and nothing dissolved... after 24hours I finally added more distilled water and after another 2 hours I got extremely impatient and did a Vit C no no and heated it, as did some other DIYer in an earlier thread, and while some more definately dissolved, it never dissolved completely. Brick wall Now I am wondering should I toss my serum, because I may have ruined the batch 1st by lowering its effectiveness by adding more water but also by heating it. If I do start again I read you should wash out the bottle well...does anyone know if soap should be used or is that another no no?? Also do you really need to keep it in the fridge?? Sorry for all the questions. Silenced
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Those are great questions. I am trying to follow the advice of others in the past. My understanding is that it is best to dissolve the C crystals in the water only first, then add the PG. No, mine did not dissolve entirely but close enough. I read later that one person grinds hers down even more before use. Probably with a mortar and pestle, until it makes a powder, and that dissolves better. I keep mine in the fridge just because it was suggested it might stay fresher longer. Another suggestion for testing your serum is to cut an apple in half and put your serum on one half and nothing on the other. the one with the new batch of serum should stay nice and fresh looking for about 24 hours as the other one does not. Personally, I would throw out the first batch and redo, but you could try this test first. Hope it is still good.
ena
5% products discount

Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
I add all the ingredients together. The trick to getting the crystals to dissolve is to shake the bottle vigorously. I find that I need to shake continuously for 15 mins for the crystals to dissolve.
Kirstin
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. I will probably first try the apple test, but will most likely have to make a new batch because I believe I messed with it too much. Next time I will shake longer first in the distilled water before adding the PG. Anyone know the best way to clean out the bottle, should I just use the distilled water??
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
I'd like to know this as well. All I did was to reuse an old vitamin C serum bottle and rinse it out vigorously with the distilled water. It seemed ok. Anyone using soap also?
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Well ... I generally wash them ... either in the dishwasher or by hand with soap & water. Then I sterilize them in my vegetable steamer.

I purchased several amber dropper bottles from my local pharmacist ... so that way I don't have to rely on just one.

However in a pinch ... I'd rinse it out and then swish some rubbing alcohol around in it ... rinse again and then make the serum.

HTH

Mary[/i]

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
Great ideas, Mary! Thanks for sharing them.
Kirstin
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Surprisingly it's looking pretty good for the original batch of serum I made, granted the apple hasn't been exposed for 24 hours, but I would say a good 5 or 6 with no browning to it, while the other apple is not only brown, but also starting to dehydrate! Shock I will probably continue to use up what is left, it was a small batch anyhow, before making another, however when I do I will try the alcohol rinse because I only have one small bottle currently and I don't want to be without my serum, now that I see what it can do!! Thanks for the good advise everyone!!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |