Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
face peel VS face scrub
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
hi, ladies,
Do u think they have the same function?
U perfer face peeling or face scrubbing?
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
I like using the Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel once a week and doing scrubs (2-3 times a week) in between. You see better results with a peel.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
I'm with Yen here--- I like to loosen things up with a good peel, and then scrub in-between.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
I am a new member of the peel fan club since buy the RoC one. I have found I have had no need for any other type of manual exfoliation with this. But at the same time, I use a muslin cloth to remove cleansers and these hae a slight exfoliating effect, so maybe that is why I have not needed anything else.
Kimmy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
I really like scrubs, I think it helps keep the whiteheads at bay. But I have been tempted to do try out the Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel because I've heard such great things about it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Kimmy wrote:
I really like scrubs, I think it helps keep the whiteheads at bay. But I have been tempted to do try out the Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel because I've heard such great things about it.

If you live near a Sephora, you can go and ask them for a free sample. That was how I got hooked on the peel. Laughing
oli_d
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:56 am      Reply with quote
i don't think you would need to do the two, as the peel is taking the dead skin off anyway. i do one or the other, either a peel ar a mechanical exfoliator.

oli
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:13 am      Reply with quote
I use both - the peel generally leaves my skin feeling smoother than exfoliation but I can't do it everyday. I do manual exfoliation daily when I wash with my muslin cloth and it helps keep the whiteheads away.
belledivine67
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:17 am      Reply with quote
I recently purchased a 40% glycolic peel from Platinum Skincare. I am on a once/week regimine and I performed my second peel last evening. The results are great. My skin feels as soft as a baby's behind. I hope that I see a lot of fading of acne "spots" in the long term.
Bee
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Belle,

40% ! Shock Does that hurt? Is there any lingering redness?

Please keep us posted about your progress -- I have hyperpimentation from acne and some moderate scarring, and am intrigued by this product.

Thanks,

-- B Smile
belledivine67
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Bee....this product is definitely the "real deal". Previously I used Loreal Glycolic Peel, which was child's play compared to this product.

For the first applications, the recommended time is once a week, for 1-3 minutes. This, being my second application was less painful than the first. Still....it is VERY STINGY, almost unbearable!! I endured the pain for three minutes, trying to envision wonderful skin!!

This is not for the faint of heart! When finished, you rinse with cool water for three minutes. Surprisingly, my skin appears fine after the rinse. Considering the sting, I expected 2nd degree burns!!! Just pink and nice. Just try to avoid sensitive areas (eyes, nose, etc.)
valerianroots
5% products discount

Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:46 am      Reply with quote
I prefer peels. My cheeks are kind of flaky after a scrub. I guess they do perform similar roles in removing dead skin, but one removes through chemical means (dissolving bonds) and the other through pysical means (abbrasion).
japok
5% products discount

Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:05 am      Reply with quote
I normally use face scrubs 2X a week and there is no comparison to the result of a face peel. When I tried glycolic peels with 40% strength (this was done professionally at a beauty place), once a week for a six week period the results were fantastic. Your skin felt so smooth like a baby’s bum, looked smoother and It had a glow to it. But you will need to do another course of peels in the near future maybe 5 months after for maintenance. I was not doing the face scrubs while I was having the glycolic peels done but once the six week period was over I started using the face scrub again.

As belledivine said it is very stingy. The first time they put it on my face, I had to fan my face to relive the stinging. They only live it on for 10 minutes but it sure felt long.

Can anyone suggest a brand for peels which I can do at home? Having it done professionally is just too expensive….. I know vanity comes with a price Smile, but if we can find something more affordable that would be better. Wink
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
I got Carita radiant beauty mask for dull skin and I didn't find any radiance on face at all after using for so many times. Embarassed

The sales lady told me to put it on face, wait for 2 minutes and do the peeling. Actually I found it a bit cool on the face but I won't purchase this peeling mask again.
monalisasmiler
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 8:19 am      Reply with quote
I tried the microdermabrasion a few years ago, and have also had the mdf peels, I prefer the mdf peels, and may try ordering the platinumskincare peel as suggested earlier, keep me posted Wink

With the microdermabrasion it was to refine my pores, but what I ended up with was broken capillaries Rolling Eyes

Guess it depends on your skin type, but this was something that I wasn't prone to before, some things are just too harsh for the skin I have also found this with epidermx. Embarassed
melissa49
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Japok,
I'v been using the Emergin C triple threat kit, particularly the peel. The peel contains aha's, bha's, and retinol and I'm not sure on the concentrations. However, its states that the products are very strong and there is warnings there about stinging etc and wearing sunscreen. It's designed for use for 6-8 weeks to totally renew your skin. I have to admit this stuff is great for me, I've had it for about a year now, it seals really well, so continues to work very effectively IMO.
It makes a dramatic and noticable difference to the smoothness of my skin and the eveness of it also. I feel that a chemical peel is essential now for me, I've had them before and experienced the same effect, and I've never been happy with a scrub or manual exfoliator - including epidermx which didnt agree with me in the long-run. BTW, there is no actual "peeling" for me, but you take it off with a cloth, so I assume the skin cells are left on there??? Question EDS sell it, but you have to purchase the cream also in the kit, which I've not really loved all that much....
BUT, I've also started the famous "asprin mask" that is raved about here (its a DYI'er, but easy enough for even the laziest of us... Rolling Eyes ), and I've found similar results, just not as potent I assume, its very gentle and no stinging for me, but very impressive all the same and WAAAAY cheaper!!
HTH Very Happy
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 7:56 am      Reply with quote
I'm with BelleDivine go with Platinum Skincare. I had tried other peels on ebay and although they cost less they were also much weaker and less effective.
I bought a 12.5% TCA from Platinum and what a difference that was! Other ebay sellers sold concentrations higher than this that were LESS effective. I had uneven pigments and freckles before and after 4 at home TCA peels they are nearly gone. My skin looks so good and the light crows feet are much less. I had planned to get a TCA peel by my dermatologist but because of the price I looked elsewhere. I found boards like this (as well as others) and ordered from Platinum skincare. I am so glad that I did. I have since bought Copper Peptide serum and Super Cop from Platinum. I love them, plus they always send samples of their other stuff. No, I don't work for them. Very Happy
monalisasmiler
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Anna and Belladivine do you need to work up to these TCA peels, and what is the downtime, do you have peeling etc. I might give this a go, I have been using lactic acid 40% occasionally, recently 15% salicylic acid and also a 50% glycolic but not leaving the glycolic on long, the 15% I can leave on.

These TCA sound worth a try. Wink
melissa49
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
I wanted to bring this question back up and raise an additional question...
I was reading an article which commented that "doctors are reporting distressed, over-exfoliated skin as one of today's biggest skincare problems". Apparently Dr Dennis Gross (MD Skincare)says "beyond a certain point6, exfoliation gives diminishing returns, its strips the skin of essential oils and essential structures. You're actually dooing more harm than good". He goes onto further promote chemical exfoliation rather than mechanical (which would suit the selling of his skincare range, I guess).
Do we believe this, or is it simply marketing again???
girlnextdoor
5% products discount

Wed May 17, 2006 9:37 am      Reply with quote
Try the Pevonia Enzymo Spehride Peeling Cream....amazing amazing amazing! Perfect for people who can't use micro dermabrasion because of Rosacea or sensitivity or anyone else! OMG you will love it!
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Monalisasmiler, sorry I just noticed your posting now. I hope it's not too late to post.

I don't think that you have to build up to a TCA peel at a low percentage. I used Platinum Skincare's 12.5% and I had never used TCA before. It did not sting nearly at all compared to a Glycolic peel which I had twice at a doctor's office. Those stung like mad! TCA didn't sting hardly at all. A little bit in the beginning but with TCA it has a self numbing effect on the skin so after maybe 30 seconds or so you don't feel burning. At higher percentages you probably would but not at 12.5% or even 16% which Platinum also sells. I was very pleased with this peel. I did two "layers" the first time. Layering means that you use a cotton ball to apply the acid first then wait 30 seconds to let it dry a bit and then apply a second layer. You can do more but I didn't want to. I would not do more than 2 layers the first time. I did peel (not flake but peel) the first time but like I said I had not used TCA before. I did it on a Wed and Thursday my skin was dry but looked okay, Friday it was dry and looked old and leathery but it was a holiday here so I didn't have to go to work. Over the weekend I did peel and laying a warm damp washcloth over the face helped to loosen the skin. By Monday it looked much better and makeup hid most of it. By Tuesday I was completely done. I noticed that the REAL effect of these peels comes several weeks later when the collagen has had time to increase and smooth out the wrinkles. That's why you are supposed to allow this time in between of a month or so.

Hope this helps. I should add, if you do only one layer you won't peel as much like I did. The more layers you do the more that you will peel.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
melissa49 wrote:
Apparently Dr Dennis Gross (MD Skincare)says "beyond a certain point6, exfoliation gives diminishing returns, its strips the skin of essential oils and essential structures. You're actually dooing more harm than good". He goes onto further promote chemical exfoliation rather than mechanical (which would suit the selling of his skincare range, I guess).
Do we believe this, or is it simply marketing again???

Well, I absolutely believe the first part. 100% It is the same with srubbing and cleansing the rest of the body. I cannot tell you how many medical professionals over the years have said that the body should not be fully cleansed with soaps every single day (only the stinky bits Laughing). Srubbing away with gels and soaps, no matter how gentle, strip the skin of its natural protection. There was even evidence that was being researched that leant towards people could get skin cancer more easily from over cleansing.

It stuck with me and unless it is very hot or I am very dirty ( Laughing) I try not to use soaps all over my back, legs and arms every day. I also try to exfoliate with a dry skin brush rather than body scrubs.

The whole enzyme vs manual probably also goes back to the fact wit manual it is easy to over doit (too hard, too long)

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:15 am      Reply with quote
I very much share Valerianroot's opinion about one is chemical and another rather physical. And i'm absolutely with Tiger. I'm a bit afraid of agressive peels and daily exfoliators. I have my muslin cloth for the daily OCM, and weekly alternate a mild peel (with ananas, yummy) or a scrub (both from st. barth skincare). The peel is very very mild (though very nice), so i'm considering to try something stronger, like JB green apple.
yaling111
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:30 am      Reply with quote
I use scrub twice a week, and peel once a week, scrub is more on the skin surface, but peel goes to the deep layer of the skin and also make the sluggish skin more active.
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:53 am      Reply with quote
I "scrub" my entire body with a plastic foaming "sponge" (not sure how to call it) with shower gel every day. And I love how my skin feel afterwards. Now I'm worried that I'm doing damage to my skin. Rolling Eyes
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |