Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Professional microdermabrasion (vs. glycolic peels)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Maura L.
5% products discount

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:29 am      Reply with quote
I'm pretty new to this skincare game, but I'm wondering what, if any, advantages there are to getting professional microdermabrasion treatments as opposed to glycolic peels?

What type of conditions might microdermabrasion treat that glycolic peels can't? Also, can the two be used concurrently or on some sort of rotating schedule -- or is that overkill?

The conditions I'm trying to treat are pitted acne scars (not that severe, but noticeable), discoloration, and fine lines around my eyes.

I've been getting glycolic peels for a few months and I always love the immediate effects. I leave the spa feeling great, with my fine lines and scars barely visible. But about two days later, my skin always goes back to its original condition and it's like the peel never happened. I don't know if I should just hang out and be patient in order to see some more long-term benefits, or whether this is just the superficial nature of a glycolic peel.

Can anyone offer any input here? Personal experiences would be great.
Maura L.
5% products discount

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
All right, I refuse to believe no one here has had professional microdermabrasion!

Just trying to bump this to get attention,
Maura
Mabsy

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:40 am      Reply with quote
We've got heaps of members here so I'm sure you'll get some response. I haven't had one done myself..

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
I had 6 treatments of micros already, didnt notice any fade away in my acne marks.
Today the BA used glycolic peel on me, at least I can see there is some immediate effect leaving the spa.
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:19 am      Reply with quote
I get a professional microdermabrasion done once every 4-6 weeks. I have been doing this for over a year now. Lets see if I can answer some of your questions:

Are there any advantages to getting a professional microdermabrasion vs. Glycolic Peels

A glycolic peel is a facial exfoliating treatment that works to improve the overall quality of the skin. Results have shown that long-term use of glycolic exfoliation in the form of peels has encouraged the stimulation of collagen growth in the skin, which slows the development of lines, wrinkles and sagging skin. Microdermabrasion is a process that is achieved by using a highly controlled spray of fine micro-crystals under pressure and vacuum. This procedure acts to remove the outermost layer of skin by a gentle abrasion or a polishing type process. (feels very similar to a rough cat's tongue)Microdermabrasion is effective in reducing fine lines, fine crows feet, mild age spots and superficial acne scars and acne marks. Microdermabrasion also stimulates the production of new skin cells and collagen. Both treatments will show some immediate improvement (smoother skin, nice glow, etc) but both require regular treatments to achieve any long-term lasting benefits. Microdermabrasion initially needs to begin with a series of at least 6 treatments scheduled no more than 2 weeks apart. There after maintenance treatments of once every 4-6 weeks to maintain results. If you do at-home microdermabrasion or at-home peels you can stretch the time between professional treatments a few weeks longer, more like 8-10 weeks. It is a matter of personal choice between the two treatments both are good.

Can the two be used concurrently?

Yes. It is very effective to combine microdermabrasion with glycolic peels. Plan to alternate glycolic peels with microdermabrasion spaced at least 2-3 weeks apart.

The conditions I'm trying to treat are pitted acne scars, discoloration, and fine lines around the eye. Microdermabrasion is not effective for deep wrinkles, moderate to severe scars or ice-pick acne scars because these lesions extend into the deeper layers of the dermis. (remember the treatment only resurfaces the very top surface layer of the epidermis called the stratum corneum which provides a major barrier function for the skin)Similarly, microdermabrasion is not effective for pigmentary problems, such as melasma or postinflammatory hyperpigmentation, because again this treatment does not effectively address the dermis where these problems arise. These problems are best treated with more traditional resurfacing modalities, such as chemical peels, dermabrasion and laser resurfacing.

The great results that you experience leaving the spa will realistically only last for a few weeks because both treatments are only resurfacing the very top layer which generally replaces itself every 12-15 days - hence your skin reverting back to it's original condition after about 2 weeks.

I continue to get the microdermabrasion every 4-6 weeks because I feel it does contribute to the long-term health of my skin (lessening fine lines, assisting in collagen production and keeping the skin clearer and smoother)However, I stopped getting professional glycolic peels because I feel I can do just as good of a job at home for a fraction of the cost. I do a monthly glycolic fruit peel 35% and a weekly pumpkin peel. This keeps my skin a lot nicer between micro appointments.

Hope this helps. If you still have questions let me know.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:37 am      Reply with quote
wow, you are really professional
luvmakeup1000
5% products discount

Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
OKAY, this is the honest truth. I do anything and try anything to get my skin to look better, not that it looks that bad. I have some sun spots and a few fine lines. I've done microdermabrasion with a glycolic peel for over a year now and finally had to realize, these are really like facials they don't do much in the long run. I saw a lady a month ago and she had such pretty skin but I could tell it looked kind of shiny and new but she was probably around 40's. I had to ask her what she does to her skin and she said she just had a TCA peel 3 weeks before. Honestly that is the best peel for you to look into that you will be able to see some REAL results from. I just called my Derm's office yesterday about it and the actual doctor does the peel on the assistants or aesthitician (spelling)which normally do the light peels like glycolic or microderms! Good luck, I'll be doing mine next month!
luvmakeup1000
5% products discount

Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
OOPS sorry, I meant in the last few lines, the doctor does the peel NOT the assistants....not on them...geez.
gracedhy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:00 am      Reply with quote
luvmakeup1000 wrote:
OOPS sorry, I meant in the last few lines, the doctor does the peel NOT the assistants....not on them...geez.

what is TCA peel? I do find my skin condition goes back to pre-treatment for micros. and it is not cheap, every visit costs me over CAD 150.
IMISS
5% products discount

Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
the spa I go to uses a Gycolic peel and I was told it takes 3 days to peel, the TCA 30% takes 10 days to recover and you'll see a little bit of the results but you won't see over all results for 90 days b/c it takes that long for the collagen to regenerate..
I had the TCA and on a Friday and strted peeling on Sunday but it took until a Thursday for it all to fall off. so mine was under a week.
I looked like a 90 year old woman with road rash for the first 4 days, so if you get one be sure you don't have any where to go.. hee hee
I used on a pure Vit E and C gel/oil/lotion on my face at all times so the flaking skin would stay moist and not pull off and damage the new skin. I keep a little water bottle hand and would spray my face often so it wouldn't itch b/c I was peeling..

If you decide to do a TCA, do a google search for the prep. you can't use things like hair remover, etc before you have one. I personally feel doing the prep on the skin weeks before is the most important part for getting the best results..

good luck
inlimbohere

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
First off let me say "hello" this is my first post. I personally like to use glycolic treatments over the microderm because I saw results faster. And it's so easy to maintain by buying OTC glycolic preparations, even if they're not as concentrated if you use them regularly you can keep up the look.

HTH! Very Happy
savit

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Does anybody know if the chemical peels or microdermabrasion increase your sensitivity to the sun?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
You should always use sunscreen and you will be especially sensitive after exfoliating in any way - peels or Microdermabrasion definitely included.
I used to do Microdermabrasion and now I am devoted to real daily skin care - I exfoliate, use Vit C, CP's and am careful with Ph values. I also do at home 50% lactic acid peels and 35% glycolic acid peels and my favorite NCN Pumpkin Peel - absolutely Awesome.....
And some Perfect Complexion products I love (Soy lift being one).

My decision on professional microdermabrasion after taking matters into my hands is that I would much prefer spending my dollars on things that work long term. Microdermabrasion is temporary, feels good and does clean out the pores nicely, but the overall effect is not lasting. Do it for a special occasion. For the money the worth pales in comparison to what you can do buying the proper products with the same amount of money.

I am in my 40's and have students asking me what I do to my face. I give out skin care advice on the side! Laughing
pearl57emma

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
What are CP's and 50% lactic acid peels and 35% glycolic acid peels and favorite NCN Pumpkin Peel? I'm not new at skin care - I've been all around the block with department store, mail order, and spa skin care lines. I'm just looking for something to help my ( Confused gasp) middle-aged skin look a little younger. I'm also of that generation that didn't use sunblock - never sunbathed (too much work) - but my face is definitely showing fine lines, laugh lines, and crows feet. I just want to get rid of them without going under the knife. One nice lady told me about her beauty regime - it would cost me at least $400 to follow up on that. I'm more than willing to spend it, but I want to know it works. So, what are these at-home things and how do I get the stuff and actually do it?
Thanks!!!!!
danellejv

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
A couple of you have mentioned that you do at home glycolic treatments. I'm sure with the popularity of these procedures that there are some duds out there - can ya'll give me some suggestions? And maybe some prices too?

Danelle
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:43 am      Reply with quote
I have had 7-8 microdermabrasions at my med spa but stopped when another derm told me they were not good for people with rosacea. My skin did look better instantly but it would revert back in a couple of weeks and it can aggravate caps.
I do glycolic peels from platinum skincare, both 30 & 40%, and then spot treatments with the TCA peels. The glycolic will tighten instantly and then give you the flakies. The TCA will be red for a few days and then peel off in heavier sheets.
I do them every 6 weeks or so and it does help clear out the pores and I have totally erased a lip line on the corner of my mouth. It disappeared using a TCA spot peel after having a little bit of juvaderm injected there with a unit of botox injected to stop the repetitive motion of chewing on that corner, which started that line to begin with.
Microdermabrasion will not help with wrinkles, it slightly smooths fine lines.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:34 am      Reply with quote
my derm gave me a series of microderm treatments which took care of some acne spots and fine lines, made my pores look smaller and skin texture smoother and overall skin look better, but they didn't help my depressed acne scars. I also did home glycolic 50% treatments fromwww.makeupartistschoice.com and had the same results. What finally helped my depressed scars were Epidermx at home microderm as well as Silkia camellia oil fromwww.goldportbeauty.com ... all my smaller depressions have been filled up and the deeper ones are not obvious to the point they don't bother me any more, and my confidence is back. Very Happy
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:56 am      Reply with quote
pearl57emma wrote:
What are CP's and 50% lactic acid peels and 35% glycolic acid peels and favorite NCN Pumpkin Peel? I'm not new at skin care - I've been all around the block with department store, mail order, and spa skin care lines. I'm just looking for something to help my ( Confused gasp) middle-aged skin look a little younger. I'm also of that generation that didn't use sunblock - never sunbathed (too much work) - but my face is definitely showing fine lines, laugh lines, and crows feet. I just want to get rid of them without going under the knife. One nice lady told me about her beauty regime - it would cost me at least $400 to follow up on that. I'm more than willing to spend it, but I want to know it works. So, what are these at-home things and how do I get the stuff and actually do it?
Thanks!!!!!

I hope by now you've checked out CPs, glycolic,lactic acids and NCN. But if you haven't, there are loads of sites about peels, Platinum Skin Care is very helpful. THey also carry CPs i.e copper peptides. The definitive site on CPs iswww.skinbiology.com where there is a ton of information to keep you busy reading for a whole year!
NCN iswww.ncnproskincare.com. Nanci also carries CPs, easier to digest than Skin Biology site, plus other wonderful products, namely the pumpkin peel, currently on sale.

CPs, supplemented with peels & exfoliation products, VitC ester, MSM, and a few other products should assist you greatly in improving your skin. But it takes patience, patience, patience. Get the micro treatments first, & perhaps some peels so that you're starting with newer skin. No point in spending time & $ on products if all you're doing is covering up clogged,dead skin.
rhoadsrunner

Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
You should always use sunscreen and you will be especially sensitive after exfoliating in any way - peels or Microdermabrasion definitely included.
I used to do Microdermabrasion and now I am devoted to real daily skin care - I exfoliate, use Vit C, CP's and am careful with Ph values. I also do at home 50% lactic acid peels and 35% glycolic acid peels and my favorite NCN Pumpkin Peel - absolutely Awesome.....
And some Perfect Complexion products I love (Soy lift being one).

My decision on professional microdermabrasion after taking matters into my hands is that I would much prefer spending my dollars on things that work long term. Microdermabrasion is temporary, feels good and does clean out the pores nicely, but the overall effect is not lasting. Do it for a special occasion. For the money the worth pales in comparison to what you can do buying the proper products with the same amount of money.

I am in my 40's and have students asking me what I do to my face. I give out skin care advice on the side! Laughing

Hi! Can you tell me what your skin regimin is? How often do you use the glycolic peel? How often the lactic acid peel? Do you combine the two at the same time? When to use the pumpkin peel? Thanks!!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |