Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
HRT (hormones!)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
I'm starting on HRT got the prescription today. Any one else here? they're starting me on a low level of estradiol I'll probably then go to a combo. New articles say that if you start early it is disease protective, helps your brain and minimizes wrinkles.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
what kind of HRT are you talking about? Bio-identical HRT? I use Bio-identical HRT and my prescriptions are made up at a compounding pharmacy. I have been taking them since July last year .... I would have to check what is in mine though.. Laughing
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:14 am      Reply with quote
I have been taking HRT for 4 years (premarin) which is oestrogen only - not the combined. In Australia there was a lot of bad publicity re the combined tablet contributing to breast cancer and other nasties but I am not sure if any of this was proven. As I have had a complete hysterectomy including ovaries, I only require oestrogen.
I don't think it has made any difference to my wrinkles although my doctor said that it has had an effect on my skin in that my skin has not dried out (I've always had oily skin and still have) and if my skin had dried out then I would be seeing a lot more wrinkles. OMG!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:51 am      Reply with quote
I'm taking a combo of estradiol and progesterone (separately to simulate a cycle). What is bioidentical?

The big study ("Nurses study") that showed bad effects was totally no good. They even said the results were "almost statistically significant" read NOT (and that was without taking into account factors such as people switching groups).

Newer studies say that for younger women (45-65) HRT is always good protective for heart and brain.

For people starting when they're older there may be some problems.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
I'm curious -- why would anyone older than 65 begin HRT in the first place? It would seem that if they'd already toughed out things like hot flashes, night sweats and migraines, what would be the point? Osteoporosis?

My older girlfriends who were weaned from HRT after the nurses' study came out resumed their menopausal symptoms. It was as though HRT only forestalled the inevitable.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
April: I think some older peole started after hearing about heart protection. I don't know otherwise.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks sharky. Since I still smoke Sad , I'm not a candidate for HRT. Also, I suffered a pulmonary embolism after taking birth control pills for one month, but that was 30 years ago when hormone dosages were higher. Phlebitis runs in my family. In my mother's generation, OB/GYNs didn't promote HRT, and in fact discouraged it. It seems that my generation of baby boomers ushered in widespread use. No doubt it can help maintain a more youthful appearance, although my friends who started it did so because of unbearable sweating, moodiness, sleep disorder, etc. A few years ago when I off-handedly told my internist that my periods were becoming irregular, she mentioned doing blood work to determine what kind of HRT would be suitable. But I didn't even ask her for hormones -- this was unsolicited! Just goes to show how common it'd become. Right after that, the Women's Health (or Nurse's?) Study came out, and that was the end of THAT. But as you say, there's been some revisionism about the results of the study, and HRT has been accepted on some of the terms you mentioned (starting at an earlier age -- closer to onset of perimenopause or menopause), but I believe for only a 5 year stretch. I could be wrong.

My husband has valiantly put up with me thus far, and my symptoms are only intermittent.

I think I'll tough it out, but good luck -- I hope it works for you!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |