Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hyaluronic Acid vs Mineral Oil
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
I was just wondering, does anyone know what the diffrence is between using mineral oil vs using hyaluronic acid (HA + H20 mix) on the skin? Smile

I was thinking about making the ultimate moisturizer for my acne prone skin (liquid HA + Avene thermal water) - however I'm trying to figure out if it will act the same as mineral oil and suffocate the skin with it's own natural oil (sebum).
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Daniel,

Well ... you're comparing apples to oranges.

Mineral oil is ... well ... an oil made from god only knows what.

Hyaluronic acid is a water soluable humectant ... which will hold up to 2000 times its own weight in water.

Theoretically, you could apply the hyaluronic acid and "seal" in the resultant moisture with the mineral oil ... but I don't think it's a combination that I would like particularly.

Now, if you are thinking of dissolving the contents of a hyaluronic capsule into mineral oil ... it won't work. Hyaluronic acid will only dissolve in water.

You'd need to first dissolve the contents of a hyaluronic capsule in distilled water and then combine the water phase with the mineral oil and use an emulsifier or emulsifiers in order to get the two of them to "blend".

So ... I'm not quite sure that I know where you're trying to go with this.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your quick reply! I'm trying to make a hyaluronic acid mist (liquid HA + mineral water) (without mineral oil, definitely!). I was just curious if it would turn out similar to how mineral oil traps moisture, but without the pore-clogging effect.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
daniel7654 wrote:
Thanks for your quick reply! I'm trying to make a hyaluronic acid mist (liquid HA + mineral water) (without mineral oil, definitely!). I was just curious if it would turn out similar to how mineral oil traps moisture, but without the pore-clogging effect.

If you were so inclined to add an oil to the spray for the "trapping" effect you may want to consider fractionated coconut oil. It's extremely light and easily absorbed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
So if I mixed hyaluronic acid with water will that make a good hydrating mist I can spray on my face during the day time?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
MACrisis wrote:
So if I mixed hyaluronic acid with water will that make a good hydrating mist I can spray on my face during the day time?

It sounds plausible, but how effective would it be is the question. For most men, they don't put any product on their faces, but we know better. I can't see how effective the spray would be in that it would have to penetrate whatever product we have already applied to our faces.

I'm merely a total novice here, I'm sure someone here will KNOW for sure. But - if it can work....guess what my next DIY is? LOL

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know about making stuff but I can say Hyaluronic acid shouldn't break you out like mineral oil. I use the skinceuticals B5 gel and really like it on my acne prone skin

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:31 am      Reply with quote
I have the same experience as Lianne in that hyaluronic acid is not pore clogging. I also use the Skinceuticals B5 gel and find that it is the easiest product to introduce to my somewhat elaborate regime. It is simply like a bath of hydration for the skin, works under any moisturiser and is fully and quickly absorbed by the skin.
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:35 am      Reply with quote
In that case, I think I may order some liquid HA from thepersonalformulator.com to experiment.

The idea behind all this is from my personal use of Avene thermal water (that stuff is amazing for dry,irritated,combination skin! - however it does not "stick" long enough to my skin to provide lasting hydration). So hopefully, liquid HA will help that without causing complications haha. Wink

(I should also mention that I have decided to make a serum instead of a spray. This is because a mist would not cover an area as it would if you use a cotton ball and physically spread the liquid)
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
please give us details as to how you are going to make this and how you like the results.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Daniel,

I dissolve a couple of HA capsules in my hydrosol and it makes a really nice spritz. I prefer the spray because I really feel you end up with more product on your face. I also add a tsp of glycerin. All in all, it's very hydrating ... and it seems to "stay" for most of the day. If I need to "refresh" ... a little spritz and my makeup seems to "come alive" again. Laughing [That sounds a little scary actually! Embarassed ]

If you use a cotton ball or cotton pad ... both of which are very absorbant ... you end up with more on the cotton than on your face. Laughing

I also dissolve HA into water in my Vitamin C serum ... [I just love hyluronic acid!]

It's easily incorporated into the water phase of any moisturizers you're making ... and it really makes them luxurious.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
pnw - 5% Sodium Hyaluronate / Hyaluronic Acid (liquid from thepersonalformulator.com) - * you can play with percent, but I would not go beyond 8% because that would change the viscosity * - mixed with 95% ozonated spring water not distilled (the reason for this is because the skin can benefit from the small amount of minerals in clean spring water * ie - silica). I would do some research on diffrent brands of bottled water (Evian, Avene, Pure Life, ECT), so you can figure out what amount of dissolved minerals is right for you.

hpjrt - That is an interesting idea. I will try adding the HA liquid with my 10% vit c serum. By the way, does anyone know if can I use L-Ascorbic Acid with just water as a serum and skip the Propylene Glycol if I plan to make a vit c serum fresh everytime - or is PG important for proper absorption? Also, thank you for your advice, I will use my fingers to spread serum instead of cotton balls. Razz

(PS, I would not recommend HA + water over makeup because it could turn your foundation more "clumpy" then usual - it would probley be better to use the HA serum before makeup so there is a light barrier between your skin and the brand of cosmetic you are using)
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Daniel,

I use MMU ... and I've never had a problem with it clumping with the HA/Hydrosol spritz.

Indeed, it makes it blend very nicely ...

I've been using this for a couple of months now.

I always use it to "set" my MMU.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mary, how many HA pills do you put into your vitamin C serum and is it just the same as adding the liquid form?

Also, about the propylene glycol question. I believe that we don't use straight water because water oxidizes the vitamin C very quickly thereby rendering it inactive.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi PNW,

I've used two methods.

I have used the contents of 1 capsule, which was 100 mg of HA.

I have also used an eye drop, meant for contact lens wearers, that is HA plus preservatives. It's called Aquify
[I think ...] ... and it's about $8 for the bottle. This is just like the liquid HA you can get at Personal Formulator ... but handier for me being in Canada and it already has a preservative in it.

When using the liquid form, I replaced half the water with the HA liquid.

I liked both methods. Very Happy

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
That is so neat, Mary, Thanks! Smile
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Here's some info I found on the eyedrops

TABLE 1 HA-Containing CL Rewetting Drops

NAME HA CONCENTRATION
Aquify 0.10% HA
blink Contacts 0.15% HA

That doesn't seem like much to me, especially when adding it to more water. Mary, do you have any idea what the % would be using your pill method or what the recommended strength is to use in cosmetics?
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi PNW,

I don't ... but I do know that anything in excess of .1% can't be absorbed into the skin.

At a concentration of 2%, Hyaluronic Acid is a semi-solid gel ... so nothing you use is greater than .1% HA.

It's an incredibly expensive ingredient ... and while you could, in fact, use just the eye drops and leave out the water altogether ... I don't know if the l-ascorbic acid would dissolve in it. It should though ... shouldn't it? I mean at .1% ... the rest is water.

You might also dislike spending the $8 per Vitamin C serum because you'd have just enough HA solution to make one serum.

When you think about it though ... $8 per serum isn't overly expensive is it? Laughing

So I wouldn't worry about the .1% ... if you check at the Personal Formulator, you'll discover that their liquid is .1% as well.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mary, thanks for such a quick response.

These are the Aquify ingredients:
sodium hyaluronate, sodium chloride, sodium phosphate and sodium perborate stabilized with phosphoric acid as a preservative.

Weird, doesn't look like they use water. Confused

It is expensive stuff. I did find that they sell the Aquify in 10mL bottles for around $8 online (I think for shipping to canada it would be $14 flat rate and then goes up in $4 increments based on added weight). I dunno. Sounds like it could save you money but not much. At 5mL per batch of vitamin C serum that's still $8 x 2 uses if you count shipping.
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mary!

I'd like to add HA to my Vit. C serum. If I order 1% HA, how much HA should I add to make a 10ml serum? Can HA and PG be used in the same serum? Or should HA be used alone?

I'd like very much to hear from you! Razz
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi PNW,

Are you in Canada? If so ... just look at your local Pharmasave or Shoppers Drug Mart. They should have it ... in the contact lens supply aisle.

And yes ... it's certainly worth a try in your Vitamin C serum. If you like it ... then while it makes your Vitamin C serum a little more expensive, it's still less expensive than a commercial brand ... particularly if that commercial brand puts HA into it. HA is one of the ingredients that adds big bucks to the final price of a product. Smile

Hi CK,

I've used PG and HA in the same serum without problem.

As for how much you'd use, if your recipe calls for 5 ml of water and 5 ml of PG, then you can replace all or some of the water with HA. It's really up to you ... and it depends upon how much HA you want in your serum and how well your l-ascorbic acid dissolves in it.

I found that it takes a little longer to dissolve my l-ascorbic acid crystals in the HA ... but they did eventually dissolve.

HTH

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mary,

No, I'm not from Canada. I'm just across the border. Didn't you say you are from Canada? The price of HA is slightly ridiculous. I've learned alot about it from you. Smile Thanks for your help.

I really do like the stuff topically. It was the base of my SkinCeuticals Intense Line Defense.
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Question: does hylaronic acid just sit "ontop" the skin, or does it actually penetration the dermis? Because if it just sat ontop then "adding it to the serum" would stop the L-Absorbic from actually working properly? ....Mabey this is a reason why I never seen the two indegrients together in commercial-sold product.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, PSF uses it in their 20% vitamin C serum.
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, that is good to know. Of course when I make this formula I will test it before doing a large area. Razz
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |