Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
EO is too strong?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi girls.... When you apply diluted EO to skin, how do you know if it is too strong? tea tree for example, kinda stings a bit, hence.... does it mean it has to be diluted some more?
thanks.....
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Tea tree oil can actually be applied "straight". It's one of the very few oils that can be used undiluted safely (I think the other 2 are calendula and lavender, maybe a few others too).

I use TT oil undiluted, to get the maximum effect. It's a little bit drying, but does the job quicker this way.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:09 am      Reply with quote
hm... but how do you know if it is too strong for your skin?
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
I personally look at whether my skin goes red from it. Otherwise, if it stings but doesn't redden, I assume it's okay Smile

Totally unscientific
china_pearl
5% products discount

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
with the except of tea tree and lavender, which can be applied straight, and anything you put on and starts to burn, that's too strong...

If you're new to aromatherapy, you can get some books with receipes that give you some idea what is okay dosage...
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
hi... i am not really interested in aroma therapy. I just used tea tree for the antiseptic reason. but i guess since it can be applied directly to skin, i should worry then.
thanks girls....
Kirstin
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone found tea tree oil to cause breakouts ever?? I recently started using it to control the occasional breakout and found that I am breaking out more, however I also started using the DIY Vit C serum made with PG, and I read that the PG in it could cause blackheads Shock And at the same time started with the DIY DHCC, which I love but have read that there may be a purging period. I am trying to find the culprit, but am wondering if I should ride it out and see if things get better on their own... any suggestions?
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
I do use tea tree oil on my breakouts, but I do not put it all over my face. I apply with a cotton swab directly on the spot, so I could not tell you if it causes breakouts. Even know it says you can use it for pimples, I hate to put oil all over my face, all I need to do is wait until the end of the day. I then have enough of my own oil to cook french fries in. Confused
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
when my face was irritated from various other products, i used to find that i had more trouble tolerating tea tree. although it can definitely be used neat, if you're sensitive to it, find something to dilute it with (always listen to your body!). my fix would be to mix several drops with milk of magnesia and put it all over my face like a thin mask, or using this as a spot treatment whilst i slept. it was a much more gentle way of getting the benefits of tea tree oil and seemed to soothe my face.
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:50 am      Reply with quote
I made some OCM last night with quite a lot of Tea tree and lavender... I figured that seeing you can use these 2 neat, you can overdose your OCM. About 5 ml of oil got about 5 drops TT and 6-7 drops Lavender. I massaged for about 10-15 minutes (in front of the TV, to keep my mind off my tired arms and fingers)

I don't use CO, only EEVOO - and it was by far the best OCM experience and results. Quite a few blackheads came out, and this morning my much hated painful cystic acne bump on my jaw is 1/3 of the size it was before I OCMed last night... Whilst putting on my makeup this morning, for the first time I actually thought to myself - this is what glowing skin looks like! WOW!

So my answer to your question Kirsten is that it most probably isn't TT oil that is breaking you out, if you were overdoing the tt oil you would dry out and maybe breakout...My guess is that it's the DHCC...

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:05 am      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere wrote:
hm... but how do you know if it is too strong for your skin?
If it burns uncontrollably and feels like your skin is on fire, then it's pretty safe to say that it's too strong!! Confused

BTW, this is something that everyone who fools around with essential oils should be aware of:

If you apply an EO blend to your skin that is too strong, or if you accidentally get it on your skin undiluted, NEVER try to rinse it away with water! The only way to safely dilute essential oils is by using a carrier oil to counteract the excess EO, water will only serve to make the problem worse.

It’s sort of like that old adage about kitchen fires where they teach us never to throw water on a grease fire because the water will just make the oil and fire spread and get worse.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Generally I spot treat with the tea tree oil, let it soak in really well, and then I apply my moisturizer over top of it, it gives a really nice tingly feeling and I absolutely love treating breakouts this way as opposed to harsher spot treatments like benzol peroxide...way too drying for my skin. It is definately working on drying the actual pimple, but what I am not sure about is whether or not by moisturizing after am I irritating the rest of my face, I use the tea tree in the DHCC, and would like to try it in the OCM, currently using ylang ylang and lemon, but I am afraid of going overboard. What does the milk of magnesia do for your skin??
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
Kirstin wrote:
What does the milk of magnesia do for your skin??

milk of magnesia helps get rid of oils, lessen bumps, and, at least temporarily, shrink pores. for me it was extremely soothing as well. sometimes you want to treat your skin in a gentler way than BP or even aspirin masks because breakouts can sometimes be caused by using too much of products. MOM was always my saviour. i've heard of people using this thinly applied (i always kept my bottle open trying to dry it out a bit so it would thicken and make a better mask) as a primer for really oily skin under foundation or sunblock. i've never tried it that way so i can't vouch for it.... MOM is just one of those cheap drugstore/market staples that has been around for decades. i think it's gotten lost in the glory of aspirin masks, ACV, honey, etc.

buy a little bottle and give it a try!

oh. and i just checked. MUA does have a thread on this: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=10870/Milk_of_Magnesia/Unlisted_Brand/Masks/
Laughing i started using this way before the internet was around!
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
I tried using MOM as a primer under my make up as someone stated in another post. That didn't work. Although it did create the matte look with my makeup, it is too white in color and I looked like a ghost after I applied my makeup. I do like it as a mask though. It is cooling and appears to make your pores shrink at least temp. I just a mask paint brush to brush on a thin coat and it dries almost immediately and I apply a second coat. I only do this after I take off all my make up and open my pores. I follow it up with a toner that seems to close my pores and finish the process. I have to laugh at myself sometimes, because I have learned so many things from this site, that often I get home and look in my bathroom cabinets and say "ummm which product should I use tonight"! Cool
Kirstin
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
la vie en rose,
Thanks for the tip about the MOM. Everyone raved about it on MUA, but what does it do as a mask. I am really not very oily except for in the summer, so I can see trying it as a primer if needed during the really hot months, but I love the idea that it shrinks pores, although you said temporarily, Sad so what exactly will a mask do?? Does it help with breakouts and redness? After the OCM, and ACV toner, my face is rather tight so I need to moisturize, where would the mask fit in, is it a once a week, twice a week routine? Do you mix it with TT oil apply it as a mask for what 15 min or so and then wash off with a warm washcloth?? Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate the tips! Very Happy
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
Kirstin wrote:
Thanks for the tip about the MOM....Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate the tips! Very Happy

arghhhh!!! not to you, but to me and my memory Wink . it's been nearly a year since i've been in paris and *without* my MOM. (note to self: bring some back for the summer months!)

firstly, my face *used* to be an oil slick and this was my saviour. helped with oil production, big pores, redness, breakouts, etc. i'd sleep with the stuff on my face for days on end. (never occured to me to try it watered down as a primer so i didn't. in the summer with heavy sunscreen though i might try this in the future.) when my face was broken out really badly, i would mix tea tree oil into it for a double whammy and sleep in it (obviously when i was alone).

as my face got less oily (was on accutane twice), i started using it as a mask to soothe and calm redness. i'd also use it mixed with tea tree as a spot treatment at night. how often i used it was really dependent on how often i felt i needed it. used straight, it's quite gentle and i believe can be used often, more so in in the hotter oilier months. mixing it with tea tree, however, can be kind of harsh as a mask (though great for spots).

for you with a dry skin, you can try it as a mask -- plain first, before even thinking about tea tree. though you could spot treat these with a thicker layer mixed with tea tree.... you really have to see what works for you and your skin! i'd use it after OCM, leave it on about 10-15 minutes at first (to be safe), then rinse off gently with warm water -- no washcloth needed. use your ACV and moisturise. how often? you really need to see how it works for you.

it's not some exfoliating treatment like the aspirin mask. it's much more gentle. sometimes even after my skin was much drier, i would still slap in on and leave it for a couple of minutes every morning, then rinse it off and apply make up. it seemed to shrink my pores -- but more in a cosmetic way than a long lasting treatment/fix, know what i mean? and it really helped me with redness and calming down my face.

god, now you're making me jones for my MOM after being too aggressive with my retinol treatment Laughing

HTH
Kirstin
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you again for taking the time to explain it's many uses! Sounds great and I just may have to try it, I can definately see a great use for it in the hotter weather, I hadn't realized that you could wear it overnight, and the mask application sounds right up my alley!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Kirstin wrote:
Thank you again for taking the time to explain it's many uses! Sounds great and I just may have to try it, I can definately see a great use for it in the hotter weather, I hadn't realized that you could wear it overnight, and the mask application sounds right up my alley!

no no no! don't YOU use it over night. that's only for really truly oily skin. perhaps in the summer, you could try a really light layer, but... the only thing i'd try leaving on overnight for now is perhaps using it it mixed with tea tree oil on spots OVER your moisturiser. i don't want to be the cause of anyone riuning their face.

bonsoir. off to bed to dream of MOM. Razz

(oh, and make sure you get the original formula -- no oils or flavours added)
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
I too read the MUA raves about MOM. The first time I tried it as a primer I totally looked like a ghost. For me what worked was diluting it with water--1/3 water and 2/3 MOM and applying VERY thinly.

It did keep the oilies at bay during the yucky DC summers. However, my skin has gotten much less oily from using DHCC, toner, and the Normalizing Day Oil, and I haven't needed to use the MOM.

I'm no longer strictly using DH products, but my skin is still less greasy than it used to be.

As for tea tree oil--my skin has been acting up lately, partly hormones, partly travel, partly stress, diet, weather, etc. I've been trying to get it back under control and what I've been doing is putting a few drops of Jojoba oil on my palm, then a drop of a mixture I made (60% tea tree EO, 20% ylang ylang, 20% lavender), and then a healthy squirt of organic aloe gel.

I rub this all together and spread all over my face, neck and chest. Aloe has a lot of great properties, one of which being it helps pull whatever else you've put on into your skin.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:38 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
Kirstin wrote:
What does the milk of magnesia do for your skin??
...i've heard of people using this thinly applied (i always kept my bottle open trying to dry it out a bit so it would thicken and make a better mask) as a primer for really oily skin under foundation or sunblock.
Yeah, I'm one of them that does this! MoM is my holy grail mattifying makeup “primer” and one of the lynch-pins in my oily-skin battle plan.

ETA: if you look like a ghost after applying MoM as a primer, then you might be applying it too thickly. On days when I don't want to wear makeup, I still apply a T-H-I-N layer of MoM just to keep down the shine factor and it doesn't make me look in the least bit ghost-like!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
tularyn wrote:
Quote:
As for tea tree oil--my skin has been acting up lately, partly hormones, partly travel, partly stress, diet, weather, etc. I've been trying to get it back under control and what I've been doing is putting a few drops of Jojoba oil on my palm, then a drop of a mixture I made (60% tea tree EO, 20% ylang ylang, 20% lavender), and then a healthy squirt of organic aloe gel.

I have wanted to try moisturizing with an oil, just finished the stuff I have been using, but wasn't sure whether to try the jojoba, or use the grapeseed that I have already. Which one doesn't clog pores? And why add the aloe vera gel? Has this mixture been working for you??
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |