Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
EXTREME Raw Facial!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Song*
5% products discount

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
I started Obagi 3 1/2 weeks ago, and only had peeling the first week. I use the .05% retin a every night. The second week till now I dont have much peeling.

So I decide to get a facial today. Very Happy I went to a medspa and got an hour facial. First I had to fill out a form. Not only informing them, but also told them I was using retin a with Obagi.

They had two different types of facials to choose from. The receptionist seem to think one was to harsh and question the esthetician. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

She said it would be fine. She would pay close attention to my skin. This facial was like a peel almost. Cleanse, purifying mask, acid mask, hydrating mask, and extractions to add to it. It burned!!! When she was finish and added some vit-c my face felt like it was on fire. Shock Shock Shock Shock Shock I use vit-c everyday. It does not feel like this.

When she was done I was so red in the face. I looked like I was sun burnt very very very bad.Eh? Eh? Eh? Eh?

Thinking this is normal I left. When I got back to work and checked myself out in the mirror. My skin on one side of my face had two large raw patches.Shock Shock Shock It was oozing!!! Shock Shock

I went right back to the spa and showed them. Again the receptionist seem more concern then the esthetician.

All the esthetician said was it was normal to have this kind of reaction to that type of a peel. She assured me it will be fine and inform me to put some aloe on it for the next few days. She also said that might have been an area that needed that. What the hell does that mean????? Like your f**King face needs to be left raw so you can have perfect skin.

I just wanted to know if anyone had this kind of experience and is this normal????? Will this go away or will it leave a scar??????? Sad Sad Sad What should I do??????
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
It was probley not a good idea in the first place going off the Obagi line, usually once a person start's treatment, they keep with it for a long time. Anyway I'm sorry this happened to you, definitely put 100% aloe gel on it and cross your fingers that it does not scar. It may also be a good idea to wash with ice cold water once a day and stay off Obagi for a week or two untill skin stops peeling.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
do you have the Obagi Comfort Gel?? If so it may help. The fact that it's oozing makes me worry.

my advice,
TAKE PHOTOS and KEEP YOUR RECEIPT...and SEE a DOCTOR...All of which will come in handy if you decide to sue...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
I'd def see a doctor, and I would definately not use anything but something pure like aloe on ur face. Yikes ..Best of luck
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
i am sorry this happened to you. Definately see a doctor.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so sorry this happened to you. Try and take some good photos of it. Perhaps this person should not be practicing.
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry it happened to you. Please see a doctor as soon as possible.
alilicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
This definitely is not normal. I am so sorry this happened to you... facials should never make your face raw and oozing. The esthetician is just trying to cover her ass by saying your face needed that. She knows she's full of crap. I agree with the other person who said you should take pictures and go see a doctor, but I think you should put Neosporin on the raw parts which will help prevent infection on open skin. Stop with the Obagi for now and just use a mild cleanser like Cetaphil or Purpose Face Wash until your skin heals. I know this sucks, but I don't think it will scar if you put Neosporin on it.
Good luck.
Ali

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
I am also very sorry that that happened to you. I had an experience similar to that when I was only about 19. I had a facial and a mask that was waaay to strong for my sensitive skin and it burned the skin right off me on my left cheek and my chin. I agree with the other ladies that you should put Neosporin on those areas (that's what I did, and thankfully it did not scar).
Also, when it happened to me I was very naive at the time and I paid for the facial and I don't think that you should have to pay for that facial. If I was you, I'd make sure to take pictures and demand my money back. Getting a facial should never mean that you leave upset and with a burning face.
I only wish I'd known better when I was younger and gone back for my money.

Good luck!
Keep us posted.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
OMG what happened to you is absolutely HORRENDOUS Exclamation That esty was majorly full of sh*t Exclamation By reading your consultation card and speaking with you about the Obagi regimen she should have known that your face was sensitized. A purifying facial would NOT be the way to go..SHEESH Exclamation I am so sorry you have been dooped, and that you are suffering. Please take the wonderful advice from the other posters--see a derm ASAP and use either polysporin or neosporin on the raw areas. Please keep us posted and stay away from any "active" products until your skin heals.

5% products discount

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
I just wanted to keep everyone posted. I went home from work that night and went straight to walgreens to by some neosporin. I also brought a disposable camera.

This is how bad it looked.Mad Mad Mad The girl at walgreens asked me what happen to my face. Shock She also said that looks like it hurts! Sad And guess what! She even offer to take my picture and develop it right away for me. Laughing

I read somewhere that retin-a is not suppose to be use with any other acids such as glycolic or AHA. That's why they Obagi line uses #4 exfoderm in the morning and not at night. The exforderm forte contains AHA.

Anyway I got home and my face was still on fire. I did a couple spashes of cool water, pat dry, and lots of neosporin.

The raw patch was beading and oozing. Sad Not to gross anyone out, but you could even see the yellow kinda like fat tissue in the skin. Shock

I went to bed without eating dinner. The rest of my family was in horror when they saw my face.

I got up this morning and checked my face out in the mirror to see if there was any improvement. It only got worse. Now most of the redness in the skin has subsided. And all that was left was little red patches all over besides the very large patch of raw skin.

I did not shower. Scared of what it could do to my face. Did the same thing this morning a few splashes of cool water, brush teeth, pat dry, and lots of neosporin.

I got dressed and went straight to the spa. This time I requested to speak with the owner. I told her my concerns and she told be it would heal fine. And if there was to be any kind of mark left they would treat it for me. She also said this is a very mild reaction to the facial and she's seen worst. This woman even told me oh you may notice it more or it may look worst to you, but it's really not that bad. Why the hell would you say this to someone, when your spa did this.

I told her I didnt feel comfortable going back there for any type of treatment. If there was anything wrong after it heals I would prefer to go somewhere else. I asked her if she would be resposible for this. She said if a doctor recommended treatment they would, but assured me everything would be fine.

They never said they did anything wrong. Also no one even offer me anything. I still had to pay for the facial. To add to that I had to pay for the neosporin $6.00, camera $10.00, and pics $7.00.

It's sat. so I couldn't get a hold of anyone to take a look at my face, but I have the pictures.

I've even contacted an attorney.
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
If you don't have a problem with acne then try not washing your more face more then once a day (with only cold still-bottled water such as "Figi") and avoiding putting Neosporin on the infected area. The reason for this, is that your own sebum will contribute to starting the healing and peeling will commense (this is always good thing and should not be suppressed!).

Of course, it is a good idea to visit a licensed dermatologist when you get the chance (aad.org). Wink
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
that is NOT a mild reaction to a facial.

good on you for contacting an attourney!
Song*
5% products discount

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Exactly!!!!! Idea I can understand if I got a TCA peel or some type of peel done to have this kind of reaction. But from a facial this is unreal. I had 5 peels done 1 week apart. My last one was on the 22nd of Feb. And that didnt do this type of damage to my skin.

I know what a facail is suppose to do. I wonder if they're even worry about this. Crying or Very sad
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
That sounds very strange. I've only gotten one facial in my life with some extraction and it was slightly pink in the area for a day or two, that's it. In fact it seemed to make the acne worse and it never got better, so I never got another facial again ever.

But it certainly shouldn't be oozing. That is severe damage. It sounds in fact very much like the road burns I had gotten a month ago after flying off my bike. I had gotten this really large road burn abrasion on my arm, about the size of a dollar coin. Very painful. Besides for the aloe vera, which you're not supposed to put on an open wound. I don't know how exposed your skin is, or if it is just really raw. It depends on how many layers were burned off. But anyways, for soothing open wounds which I did for my sores, calendula gel works very well. It is soothing, anti-septic and is ok to use on open wounds. It relieves burns, cuts and irritated skin. You can find it at any health food store. It's homeopathic. I really recommend it for something like this.

Here is more information on it. http://www.iherb.com/califlora.html

Other then that I agree about seeing a dermatologist for a real opinion. Even if you do plan on taking legal action against them you will need something from a doctor confirming that you sustained reckless damage that is not normal for a facial. The derm will be able to give you their expert opinion and advice too. Something neutral. Obviously that spa has no skin experts and are not going to admit anything that will make them liable. The derm might even need to subscribe something to you.

I would definitely stay indoors during the day and away from all sunlight. Sunlight on exposed and healing skin can cause scarring. This really sucks, man I really hope it doesn't start to scab or anything.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
Ditto on the dermatologist. I am apalled at the owner's response. A friend of mine went to our local spa for a simple massage. She wasn't pleased with it, wrote a letter saying so and immediately received an apology with a certificate for another massage with a different girl!

Things I learned from my husband: talk to the owner, you did that, awesome; take documentation, photos, emails, letters, you did that; get an attorney to look over what happened and find out if you need to do any more documentation, you are working on that; call the better business bureau to see if others have placed complaints against this business and place your own. Other than that, maybe you could go have a consultation with an instructor at your local beauty school to get his/her opinions and advice. Imagine what this spa is doing to other women! Mad
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
honestly...I think I'd go to emergency at this point. It's been a full day, and it's still oozing (the yellowish stuff you're talking about freaks me out). Tomorrow is sunday so you won't get to a doc until at least monday. You can get it looked at to see what type of burns you have (what degree), get it in writing and go back to the spa. It will also help for documentation if you do go to court.

I would've told the owner that a cashier in walgreens asked 'what the f*ck happened to your face?' If you really want to see some action contact one of the news expose thingys they have...but I'd visit emergency first and go back to the spa again before calling the news.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
What a lame excuse the spa owner gave you Exclamation And for her to say, "Oh I've see WORSE"--what the hell Exclamation What type of joint is this, I mean really. She sounded so non chalaunt about your condition. Good for you for contacting an attorney.

Song*, did the ethetician tell you what type of product line she used for the facial? I'd be curious to know. If things get worse by Sunday--I'd go to the emergency room like someone suggested. I'm sure in the long run you'll be fine, but you don't want an infection and don't want to be out of work either (well maybe you do) Wink Take care hun

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:36 am      Reply with quote
This is appalling - I am a qualified Beauty Therapist/Aesthetician (previous 'life') and there is NO WAY that this should have happened to your face. I can understand a more severe reaction by a powerful peel done by a Doctor but certainly not from a facial or even a peel done by a Beauty therapist!
To tell you they'd 'seen worse' is even more worrying. If a therapist working for me had done this I would be horrified and they would be jobless!!!
Please do see a Doctor ASAP - you don't want to get infection in that which will leave scarring - hopefully you can avoid scarring completely - I hope so.

Keep doing what you are doing in the meantime - just using water and keep off any actives. I would avoid putting even sunscreen over the weeping areas and just try to keep out of any sun (indoors wear hat) as the ingredients even in a good quality natural SPF may irritate your skin.
Please let us know how you are getting on and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
x

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
I just want to say that on my wounds I also had yellow oozing. I had them covered though in bandages and when I would change them they would be very yellow and gooey. This is usually the skins healing fluids. A mixture of collagen production etc. as it tries to rebuild the lost skin in the area. Certainly see a doctor or someone. You don't want infection or scaring. Infection is not as likely as it wasn't caused by an abrasion with something dirty, but still a doctor will be able to tell how it's doing by looking at and examine it. By the way some signs of infection are swelling and red streaks extending away from the effected area. There are other signs though too. It is difficult too being on the face as it can't really be covered too well with bandages etc. However a doctor certainly might bandage it up, the whole face, which is what it might need.

Oh yeah, and I would take some extra supplemental vitamin C and Zinc during the healing time. Both help with skin and wound healing and vitamin C helps build more collagen (taken internally). Anti-inflamatories might help too like bromelain etc.

Here are some articles:

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/90/100659.htm

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_4_8/ai_111303980
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Song*

just wondering how you're doing a week later and what's going on with this situation.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |