Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What can I use in place of Hydroquinone?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
I think HQ is causing major flare-up in my asthma. Is there something similar out there that truly works but is not HQ? TIA!
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
not sure where you live, but the pollen is getting bad here...could that be the culprit??

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Chrissie. I do live in Florida but I don't have any allergies, or I should say the pollen has never made me have a reaction like that before! It is a good idea, though!
china_pearl
5% products discount

Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
kojic acid and alpha-arbutin are 2 I can name, but if you check out a lot of the asian whitening products, they use all kind of high-tech whitening ingredients.. But I'm not how safe they are or if they are going to trigger your asthma problem...
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
Lots of things could be triggering your asthma, not just the product. For example, I'm convinced that the fragrance in my new laundy detergent is triggering wheezing fits so I'm switching to fragrance-free. Have you reviewed any other changes in your diet, perfume, cleaning agents, etc? Wouldn't want you to abandon a product that's working (I assume it is working...) before you evaluate other things. Very best of luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
I would say I am 90% sure it is the HQ. Here is the long story. For the past 6 weeks I have been on the Obagi regimen, everything except the clear. I noticed I was having to use my inhalers more. At 5 weeks I still was having no peeling so the nurse told me to add the clear, she thought that it why I was not peeling yet. I added the clear and my asthma really flared, but I did not make a connection to Obagi. After 6 weeks of still no peeling, I was not sure I was going to continue with Obagi or not. So, I stopped everything except the Retin A for 2 days/nights. No more problems with needing my inhalers for these days.No problems breathing. I decided I would give Obagi 6 more weeks (after all I had bought all the stuff) so last night I used the blender/RA, and this morning I used the clear. I would say within 10-15 minutes or so I was having major trouble breathing. I immediately washed the stuff off my face. I called the pharmacy and they said rare people, but still some, had a reaction to the HQ that caused difficulty breathing, severe asthma attacks, etc. I did not relate my flare-up of asthma with Obagi until I was off of it for 2 days and had no more trouble breathing, and then what happened this morning. Nothing else has changed, no new products, etc. So, I truly believe it is the HQ. Maybe the clear and blender were just too much HQ for me, and the blender was enough to trigger more asthma, but nothing major serious. So, anyway, I would say I am almost positive it is the HQ. (BTW, the system was not working for me.I had no reaction. My before/after 6 weeks showed no difference!)Anyway, I am too nervous to try just the blender/RA again at this time. It is really scary not being able to breath!
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:23 am      Reply with quote
Rileygirl - yes, it sounds like Obagi is the trigger. It's a blessing that you had to stop it for a couple of days, actually....

As for no peeling with Obagi, I understand that there is a group of folks who do not respond to Obagi as it is intended ... they do not peel. It triggers an over-active sebum production and the skin actually gets MORE oily. I'm sure you'll find a new regimen that works without triggering your asthma. Your general health is way more important than your skin!

I wish you good luck.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:51 am      Reply with quote
Cellex-C Fade Away Gel is Hydroquinone-free, but I have never used it so cannot comment on its effectiveness...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone. I do agree, LandB, health definitely more important! Anyway, I appreciate everyone's help. I'll let everyone know if I find something that works!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:24 am      Reply with quote
P.S. LandB. I am so glad you wrote that about certain obagi users not getting intended results. I too have been oilier and just could not figure this out. I have never heard that about obagi and it is nice to hear, so thank you for telling that!
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:15 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
P.S. LandB. I am so glad you wrote that about certain obagi users not getting intended results. I too have been oilier and just could not figure this out. I have never heard that about obagi and it is nice to hear, so thank you for telling that!

You're most welcome. I lasted only a couple of weeks on Obagi because my face turned into an oil slick... like nothing I'd ever seen before! That's what led to my research and I learned that I wasn't alone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hey LandB, just one more question for you! For those of us whom Obagi does/did not work for, does this mean that Retin A is not for us either, or is that still good to use nightly? Sorry about the questions, but with the research you did, I wondered what part of obagi was not right for us? Thanks in advance!
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:34 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Hey LandB, just one more question for you! For those of us whom Obagi does/did not work for, does this mean that Retin A is not for us either, or is that still good to use nightly? Sorry about the questions, but with the research you did, I wondered what part of obagi was not right for us? Thanks in advance!

I'm actually pretty sure that it was the retin-A in the program that was the likely culprit. I don't remember the specific "scientific" explanation, but I'm going to ask the esthetician and get back to you. I saw similar discussions on the Obagi chat board but when I tried to get into last night to respond to you, their chat board was under maintenance. The "non-scientific" explanation, as I understand it, is that whatever product makes most people peel, makes some people get more oily... it's like a reverse reaction. Some Obagi enthusiasts try to get users to stick it out but I just couldn't stand the sheen on my face. I wasn't gung-ho with Obagi to begin with so just didn't have the desire to continue.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:15 am      Reply with quote
I definitely agree with you LandB. Almost like a cult,huh? And if you don't have the same "transformation" you are doing something wrong! Yes, please as the esth. and get back to me. I sure do appreciate all your help and I am so glad to find a "soulmate" on this subject!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |