Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Effectiveness of SPF overnight
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

One question that has been plaguing me is the effectiveness of SPF used overnight-- does it breakdown and become useless after a certain period of time?

I do nightshift and moisturise and then put on sunscreen as I do normally before work (imagine a normal day only that I start at 10.30pm at night). I wear SPF religiously and figure that by the time I leave the building the sun is already up outside, so I'm protected. But I wonder if SPF becomes ineffective after a certain time? Is what I'm doing futile....should I skip the application overnight and bring some along and apply it in the mornings? Sorry if this seems like a silly question! :P:P

Thanks!
Summertimegirl
iz
5% products discount

Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
From my understanding, the SPF thing will not be broken down overnight coz they are chemicals that work by reflecting the UVA and UVB, (that way, they prevent your skin from absorbing the harmfull UVs)the problem that the sunscreen will be ineffective happens only when it's actually gone, like being washed out by the sweat after you exercise, swimming, etc., so, the beauty experts suggest the use of waterproof ones so that it stays on skin and is more stable.

If you are working overnight, depends on the environment you work, it is also wise to use the sunscreen even if you are not exposed to the sun at night, reason is b/c a lot of lights, optical instruments, computer screen, etc are also emitting the harmful UVs, therefore, it is also advised to use a SPF 15 even if you are not working outside in the sun.

In the morning after work, I am not sure, I would say it's ok to reapply a coat of sunscreen, but I personally like to apply creams on a clean face, if you can wipe the dirt and debris a bit before applying it, it is better, or else, I am afraid that you will create a layer that the bacteria stay in between 2 layers of sunscreen .. also, you know, most of the sunscreens are rather greasy .. it doenst make me feel good on a "not-washed" face, face with some other creams and maybe the foundations ..it's like "unbreathable" : )
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Hello IZ,

Thank you for your reply ! I had thought it was quite a silly question to begin with but one I really wanted to ask. When no one anwered I thought the majority of people had normal lives and didn't work crazy hours like I do so maybe the Q didn't really apply to them ! :P

You've probably figured out that suncreen, sunblock, SPF.... are one of our favourite topics of discussions on the forum. Why, because simply being sun-aware we're starting to look younger than the generation before us at the same age !

I think it would make sense in what you said-- that the chemicals in the sunblock do not break down overnight and would continue to work unless it was removed through sweat or physically washed off. However I'm still not 100% sure, reason being is that it's 9 hours that the product has been on and although you don't sweat as much in an air cond environment your skin still metabolizes to some extent...

You also you mentioned a very good point-- UV radiation emmitted from computer screens. I never thought of that !! SurprisedSurprisedSurprised But I wonder if 'Broad Spectrum' also covers this kind of radiation ??? I work for 6 days straight in front of computer screen for hours at a time.. at least my skin was protected all along ! It's my eyes I worry about more, as they become sore and blood-shot during my night shifts. I'm switching to glasses very soon.

To be on the safe side, I think it's a good idea to apply a fresh coat of sunblock after I finish work before I go outside. Usually the sun is deathly bright, and I'm looking like death warmed up so it really doesn't matter as long as I'm not burning ! :PCool Normally I don't wear foundation overnight to work on a night shift, just my usual night moisturiser which is quite rich (Phytomer's Extended Youth Night Cream), my skin drink. Wink

Thanks again Iz ! you got me thinking ... WinkWink

Summertimegirl xVery Happy
Mabsy

Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:55 am      Reply with quote
I think UV radiation from computer screens particularily (only CRTs, LCD monitors do not have these problems and are the recommended "healthy" option) is actually quite negligible. The thing that is more likely to cause you any harm are the x-rays (also tiny amounts though). Good news is that the UV radiation is very small to begin with, plus it gets filtered out by the thick glass. The other radiation (X-ray and electromagnetic) mostly come from the sides and the back of the monitor. So I guess you could say that if you need to be anywhere near a CRT monitor then right in front of it is the safest place.

I just had an image of myself walking into my office pale and walking out with a tan 8 hours later Smile How cool would that be! Unhealthy, but cool! Plus if they could crank up the radiation they could do a two in one product! TV/UV lamp. Watch Seinfeld while you tan! Surprised
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:23 am      Reply with quote
LOL !! Mabsy, you crack me !! Very Happy Now that would be awesome, getting a tan whilst watching Seinfeld!

I'm glad the rays we're getting inside the office aren't all that harmful, otherwise I would be spitting blisters off my face !! You reminded me that I've also got to stop watching my food heat up at work in the microwave, there's radiation coming out of those as well... I went and checked out some glasses today and found some cool ones so will look quite the geek soon !:P

Summertimegirl xVery Happy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:04 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |