Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Help! Itchy red, blotchy irritated skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know what happened, but I woke up with itchy red, blotchy irritated skin. I have no idea why. The only new thing I've been using is Dermalogica's ultra calming cleanser, and that's for people who are even intolerant of even water, so I don't think that that's the culprit. I have Mustela's diaper rash cream om my face right now, and it's mildly helping! And I just took an antihystamine which just knocked me out for 5 hours. What else can I do? Please advise.
leiladao
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Thoughtcrime!

I hope you are feeling better by now. I have that sometimes, waking up with itchy hives all over my body...I had once a special "skin diary" to record everything that I use on my skin daily. You should also check on what you just ate, especially if you ate out in a new restaurant. Even your laundry stuff, a new detergent or fabric softener. Stress can be a culprit too...if that's the case...a walk, a bike ride, or a swim can really help you as in my case.

Whenever I got serious hives like this, I just stop using all the ptds that I just used the day before, take my antihystamine, drink a lot of water, relax, and avoid looking in the mirror. Phyto Accept Line, Valmont Soothing Cream really help me, too.

But if it lasts longer and bothers you too much, you should see your doctor. Hope this helps, Thoughtcrime!
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Leila,
thank-you so much I feel better just reading your post. Wink I like the "avoid looking in the mirror" that made me giggle. :P
Mabsy

Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Thoughtcrime,

I hope your skin is getting better. I was going to suggest applying some pure Aloe Vera gel on it. It's supposedly super soothing.

HTH.
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Mabsy , I put aloe vera gel on it, but it was not the pure kind, it was the kind from the drug store with a lot of fillers in it, so it didn't feel that great. But today I'm getting an actual aloe vera plant! I am praying that it will help! Wink
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:47 am      Reply with quote
Thoughtcrime,

I've been offline for a couple of days and came into this late, but if you're still suffering, try this well-known treatment for itchy skin reactions and hives: Oatmeal. If your body is affected, pour a lot in your bath. For your face, soak a cup of oatmeal in a bowl of water for a few minutes. Strain and use the water for cool compresses. Oatmeal contains anti-inflammatory/soothing properties, making it one of nature's best cures.

Also, if you haven't figured out the cause yet, take another look at the Dermalogica cleanser. Some of my worst skin allergies are caused by "sensitive skin" products.

HTH--Alohagirl:)
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Alohagirl for the tip. cooked or uncooked oatmeal? My itchy blotchy red irritated skin is looking better, but I have a dermatologist appt. tpomorrow as well. I've been using the Decleor Harmony Essential moisturizer, and once again it's saved me! It is the best for treatment for sensitized skin! Unfortunately I needed it right away, and I couldn't wait 3 weeks for it to come through EDS, so I paid U.S. $62 at Nordstrom for it as opposed to $40 U.S. from EDS. Never again!
Caspers Mum

Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
No, it's not regular oatmeal! It's collodial oatmeal, which you can find at any drugstore, or in the beauty product section of grocery or variety stores. Aveeno makes one, and most chain drugstores sell their own generic/store-brand versions as well. Note: don't eat it, please. I don't want to have to be giving advice for upset tummies:P
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
That's what I get for writing posts late at night!Sad

Casper's Mom is right. The oatmeal you buy in the health and beauty section is already ground up. (And it has additives, so you can't eat it!)

If you want to make your own, here are the instructions. (Copied fromwww.wholehealthmd.com)

"To produce colloidal oatmeal, the oats themselves are very finely ground--pulverized, in fact. This enables the grain to readily absorb liquid. When the colloidal oatmeal is added to bath water, it almost instantly gives a slightly milky, almost slimy consistency to the water--which then coats the skin, moisturizing, softening, and protecting it. The emollient, or skin-softening, properties of oat products come from ingredients in the oatmeal such as cellulose and fiber. If you don't mind some experimenting, you can easily make your own colloidal oatmeal. In a blender, coffee grinder, or food processor, finely grind the oatmeal that you purchase at the grocery store."

Warning: If you're taking a bath in it, the tub becomes very slippery!Surprised

--Alohagirl;)
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Caspers mum for the clarification and Alohagirl for the recipe! Wink
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again Thoughtcrime,

I remember seeing this post of yours a week or so ago but not having enough time to reply... Remember when I had a good old moan about my skin flare up after Christmas? You offered some reassuring words and to be patient... now I'm doing the same Wink Mine has finally settled down, but it has taken almost A MONTH of detoxing to get better. It was defnitely due to drinking alcohol and NO water, and also eating too much seafood (especially prawns) over that holiday period that brought on the attack of the zits. I knew it couldn't be the products I was using as the area was concentrated on my chin and mouth only, plus I had been successfully using Phytomer for 4 months prior without one flare up.

How did your appointment with the derm go? Was it actually an allergy towards something? I have never been to a dermatologist in my life and as far as I know, I'm not allergic to any known foods or chemicals but I do get hives when I'm around a certain dog. Also I react to mosquito bites, they come up large and white even when I don't touch them (my sister told me that scratching them stimulates the poison even more).... this collodial oatmeal bath for face and body sounds perfect for that kind of thing. THANKS Alohagirl and Casper's Mum !!

I hope the reaction on your cheeks get better soon, please give the Phytomer Accept Neutralising cream a try-- I hope it helps as it's really soothing; it calmed and pacified my reaction for a few days with the sample I had.

Summertimegirl Smile
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl, thanks for the kind words. You all gave such great advice. I did go to the dermalogist and she said it did look like an allergic reaction to something. What, I don't know... It was looking better by the time I had an appt. with her thanks to Decleor's Harmonie Essentielle. That stuff is amazing-- I've used it on and off for a couple of years. It smells heavenly too. But I still really want to try the Phytomer. I'm planning on getting the Phytomer accept smoothing skin cream. Is that the one you tried or was it the Phytomer accept neutralizing cream? Both got perfect reviews on MUA. She prescribed antihistamines, and my skin is slowly starting to get back to normal. I think it's taken quite a beating with this horrible freezing weather, plus I think I was over exfoliating. My skin always acts up in the winter. Thanks for the advice. Wink
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Thoughtcrime,

I'm glad that your skin is getting better. I didn't think mine would take so long to recover, but it's almost back to normal now. It just makes you really appreciate those periods you have perfect belmish-free skin even more. I had to cut out things that I liked to eat as well, like chocolate, fried foods like karaage chicken (I love Japanese) and go on an alcohol hiatus. It worked.

I thought I had tried the sample of the Phytomer Accept Neutralising Cream but now that I checked back on the colour of the cream I realised it could well have been the Accept Smoothing cream! Both are targeted for sensitive skin, but the Smoothing one targets redness and capillaries as well. Let me know how your skin responds.

Summertimegirl Wink
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |