Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)
Weird beauty habit confessions
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
Ok ladies, everybody has some I'm sure! I'd love to hear yours!

I was putting on my makeup yesterday (really hot day with about 90% humidity) when my mum walked by and saw what I was doing; it provided quite a few minutes of entertainment for her.

Here's the deal. I've always had a problem with applying makeup straight after I have a shower. I apply my makeup in the bathroom, which is hot and humid for about 10-15 minutes after you have a shower. So when I'm in a hurry (i.e. every morning - I like my sleep Smile) and I need to apply my makeup straight away, by the stage I'm ready to apply powder my face starts sweating. So, I go back to my bedroom with powder and brush in hand, switch on the air-con and stand directly in front of it while applying powder. I then do the same if I'm using powder blush. My mum couldn't stop laughing yesterday because she says the she saw more powder going past me than on my face. I have done this for years and have never really thought that it was strange, it was just my work-around to a problem that I'm sure is common in hot humid climates.

At least it explains why I go through powder so quickly and why I need to vacuum my room as often as I do Smile

Another thing I do when I'm too lazy to use a curler for my eyelashes is use my index fingers to press my lashes up against the eyelid (same principle as the heated eyelash curler) and sit there like that and watch TV for a minute or two. I've also been doing that for years and by the looks my dad gives me whenever I do it, I don't think he's yet figured out WHY I'm doing it. LOL
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:15 am      Reply with quote
LOL how funny! Mabsy, I can't think of a weird beauty habit off the top of my head, but I just wanted to ask, is it hard to wear make-up in hot humid weather? I picture it coming off in a few hours.
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy, you are HILARIOUS!

And Thoughtcrime, yes, it is horrible wearing make up in hot, humid weather. I'm in really cold weather in Boston right now for school, but my hometown is in Houston and it's humid there all year round. I kind of got used to it after living there all my life . . . I've only recently noticed how icky it gets because I'm getting used to the colder, dryer weather.

Mabsy -- I also hate applying make up when I'm just out of the shower. Instead of standing in front of the air conditioner, I just walk around the house wafting my face with my hands to get my face to dry up faster.

Hilarious, Mabsy -- thanks for the laugh!
Lisa
zazu
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
What a HOOT! I, too, pull the old push my lashes with my index finger routine, although I do that as a "pick me up" when it's later in the day and I think that they are losing their curl.

A funny think I do is use "Frownies" every night, despite the fact that I am totally embarrassed if my husband sees it. For a while I went into the bathroom after the light was turned of and snuck on a Frownie and darted back into the room and leapt into bed so he wouldn't notice. Now I'm totally blatant about it, but always say, "Don't look at my Frownie!"

I frown big time at night and if I don't wear one I wake up with a dark red crease. If I do wear one - no crease! I figure I'm holding the Botox at bay!
leiladao
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy, you must have your own MABSY SHOW and we will be your greatest fans.

Here is my contribution:

Remember the "connecting the dots" game we played in kindergarten.

I use Mario Badescu Dry Lotion once in a while to execute those blossoming zits. With a Q tip, I make perfectly evenly round pink dots all over my face after finishing my bath. Coming out from the bathroom one night, with a huge turban on my head and these pink dots on my lovely face, I ran into my dad who has double vision without his glasses. He let out a horrible scream you ever heard from a very gentle man: " Oh dear! What's happened to your face!". My mom, running up from her kitchen, burst out laughing uncontrolably : " Well, those are very nice dots, dear! At least, they are pink! Connect the dots, we've got your face!"
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:25 am      Reply with quote
I have one to share:

I've been embarrassed several times in my life when someone asks, "Why do you always kiss your reflection in the mirror?"

I have long eyelashes, but they still benefit from a coat of mascara. Unfortunately, the lashes rub against eachother and I frequently have to check for little black flakes which build up under my lower lashes. I can spot them more easily if I pucker my lips, thus pulling my cheeks down.

I've been doing this for so long, it's an unstoppable habit, and anyone who sees me looking in a mirror must think, "SHE IS SO VAIN!"Surprised
Mabsy

Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
LOL, I knew I wasn't the only one doing weird 'beauty things' when others were not looking Smile

I actually also have a habit of plucking any eyelashes (yes, EYELASHES) that grow in the wrong direction. Just when I thought I knew the maximum pain that a tweezer could inflict, I realised that tweezing eyelashes is a whole new ballgame. It REALLY hurts! Sad

Thoughtcrime - putting on (and wearing) makeup in hot&humid environments can be a bit of a pain. You've put on your foundation, took time to blend it in properly.... you're ready to put on powder.... but what's this!? A sweat mustache! Not to mention that your whole face feels sticky and I hate that feeling when I apply powder because I'm convinced that more powder sticks to your face that way than it normally would.

Plus then there is the issue of it just dissapearing during the day.

I'm sure you will find that out for yourself when you come visit Australia :P Although you may avoid it, because when you said 'going to Australia this summer' I take it you meant the US summer and our winter?
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy, LOL re: sweat mustache! :P
I have never experienced that--- yet! May experience it if I get the awesome opportunity to visit your gorgeous country! Hopefully going in August, but tickets are like $2000, so we'll see if prices get any cheaper. Is August, Australia's winter?
Mabsy

Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:11 am      Reply with quote
Thoughtcrime,

Yeah, no kidding on the sweat mustache. Happens a lot! But coming in August you will not have that problem Smile August is still winter but it's the very end of winter (spring starts in September) so it won't be very cold at all.

Mabsy.
powder face

Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:09 am      Reply with quote
Any comments?...

I can't stand wearing powder on hot days.
But I have terrible uneven skin so I have to deal with it. I can't go anywhere without powder.
powder face

Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:09 am      Reply with quote
Any comments?...

I can't stand wearing powder on hot days.
But I have terrible uneven skin so I have to deal with it. I can't go anywhere without powder.
cutsie
5% products discount

Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:46 am      Reply with quote
hey i do te eyelash thing too.it works. my mum always asks if theres ote wrong wiv mi eyes n it freaks her out so its quite fun too.
Goka
5% products discount

Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if this is considered weird but here goes...

Once in a while I tweeze my boyfriend's eyebrows (I would not do a guy's brows unless they needed it) just to give them a nice shape and he really looks wonderful afterwards...

Anyway, he is a big cry baby when it comes to pain (men are so NOT macho when it comes to physical pain) so I put a whole load of Anbesol (or Orajel, whichever is handy) on the area to be tweezed, wait a few minutes, and tweeze away...I can't say it wards off ALL the pain...but I have definitely seen more improvement in the pain-tolerance department when it comes to tweezing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:21 am      Reply with quote
Hey Goka,

Now you've just told your "weird tale", I must confess I love to do "that" to my sweetie too ( and I thought it was weird).

I beg my dear soulmate to let me "groom" his eyebrows. He has a perfect pair of eyebrows except for a few hair in between that always make him look "tense".

After suffering all the painful pluckings on the name of love, he looks more relaxed ( because the torture was over) and younger ( he was grimacing the whole time). But for the next appointment, "NO WAY!" is his reply:(SadSad. Yet, he always lets me do it once in a while ( I guess it's better to loose a few eyebrows than my...uhm...loving care).

I just use ice cubes to numb that area ( I have to make a nice cool drink for him before sitting him down, guess who's the lucky one!), so thanks for the tip, next time I will put some Oraljel on him and skip the drink. We should not spoil these guys too much!
Fantasia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
This thread is too funny which brings to mind, my love is italian so he gets very dark in the summer but I can always spot these 2 black hairs that stick up from the tip of his nose Surprised

Sooooo, when he is sleeping I take my tweezers and yep, you guessed it - I PLUCK them out, ha ha ha. Such sweet revenge too when I'm mad at him at times . When he wakes up in the morning, he says to me "wonder why the tip of my nose is read and tender", I just walk away giggling. :P
babyfish
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
Fantasia, a good thing is your love is such a heavy sleeper and MAY BE not very good in Tae Kwon Do:P:P:P
Yulia
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:32 am      Reply with quote
I once heard that the best way to get your nailpolish to dry quickly is to put your hand in the freezer (has anyone else heard this?).

Whenever I have painted my nails I stand with my hand well inside the freezer, trying to keep the door as closed as it will go so the cold air doesn't escape. It must look pretty silly.

Yulia
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Great idea, Yulia.

But I think you'd only look silly if you tried it with toenail polish! Very Happy
Yulia
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:25 am      Reply with quote
Hee hee! If only I was a gymnast and could walk on my hands...
Mabsy

Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Yulia
Whenever I have painted my nails I stand with my hand well inside the freezer, trying to keep the door as closed as it will go so the cold air doesn't escape.

LOL That must be quite a sight for people who don't know what you're doing. Has anybody assumed that your hand got stuck? Smile I have also heard that cold temperatures dry nailpolish faster. However, the way around standing there with your hand in the freezer is to take a bowl of cold water and dump some icecubes into it to boot. Then dip your fingers (a few minutes after you've painted your nails) into the bowl for a few minutes.

I do that sometimes though mostly I just walk around the house and wave my hands about wildly Smile

Mabsy
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone know of a good way to dry toe-nail polish? (Aside from sticking my feet in the freezer or dipping them in ice water. Surprised )

A few minutes after painting them, I always seem to forget and go walking across a shag carpet or something. (Furry toenails are definitely not attractive.) Wink
Poohster

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Alohagirl:

There are "quick dry" polish (top coat) you can use to put over your color polish. It does dry the nail polish quicker than the usual time. I also think they have it in a spray type also. You can purchase them in a salon.
phoenix

Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
Dear Mabsy

I can sympathise with you putting on make up in humid weather, however you must spend a fortune on powder! YSL make a tinted moisturiser that also acts as a makeup foundation, and if you put that on directly after a shower, then stand in front of the air con. After that in front of the mirror you probably can add a bit of powder after a few minutes when your face is cooled down. My advice is use absolute minimum in that type of weather because it ends up sweating off and getting in your pores anyway. Cheers!!
Mabsy

Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:18 am      Reply with quote
Alohagirl - I've seen sprays that are supposed to speed up the drying process but I have never tried them myself though. I'm pretty sure Sally Hansen makes one (or at least used to Smile).

Phoenix - thanks for the advice! Funny you should mention the YSL TM because one of my friends (visiting from another state) was raving about it to me on the weekend! She didn't have any with her though so I must try it out next time I'm at the shops....

Mabsy
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:48 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Poohster and Mabsy.

I'll look for those next time I'm at a drug store.

--Alohagirl:P
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |