Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Homemade Vitamin C Serum - assistance required
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
weaholt
5% products discount

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:16 am      Reply with quote
I am new to DIY skin care products and have been looking around for the ingredients for the homemade Vit C Serum as provided by the very knowledgable carekate!....anyway, I am from the UK and have found a site that sells all the things required to make your own beauty products, but I am a little confused about the type of Vit C to buy...

In the "recipe" carekate says that you should use Lysorbic Acid powder/crystals, but on the site I have been looking at, they sell Aocorbyl Phosphate and the description says -

"A new, stable Vitamin C derivative that overcomes the oxidation problems associated with ascorbic acid in cosmetic formulations. Recommended use 1-2%, depending on intended application. To use, dissolve it in cold water and then add during the Third Stage of Cream production or up to 10% in Skin-lightening Cream. Also used in Rejuvenating Creams, as well as Sun Care products for its UVA protection properties"

Is it ok to buy this for the serum?

thanks Bad Grin
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:21 am      Reply with quote
You might want to send a PM (private message) to member HJPRT (Mary), as she is more familiar with the various “labeling” tactics regarding Vit-C powder or crystals and can tell “translate” for you.

Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi, weaholt!

I'm from the UK too and would love to know the name of the site you've found. Always on the lookout for good DIY supplies. Very Happy
weaholt
5% products discount

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:45 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
Hi, weaholt!

I'm from the UK too and would love to know the name of the site you've found. Always on the lookout for good DIY supplies. Very Happy

The website iswww.aromantic.co.uk - it's £5.60 for 30gr. I have been very kindly directed to this article which gives more background on Vitamin C products and the phosphate sounds quite good!
http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/vitcderiv.html

hope this helps!
Maria
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Ah yes, I've visited the aromantic site a few times already. Looks really good and has quite a few interesting recipes.

I've yet to order from it, though, but probably will do in future.
weaholt
5% products discount

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:53 am      Reply with quote
I have just received my supplies to make my serum, but I could do with some pointers about how much Vitamin C to use. It says a quarter of a tea spoon in the recipe, but in the bag it says "recommended use 1-2% dependingon application. Dissolve n cold water and then add in 3rd stage of making creams or upto 10% in skin lightening creams" I don't understand what this means!

Shall I just follow the instructions in the recipe and ignore this???

Sorry for being a bit thick.

thanks
Maria
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi Weaholt,

I don't know if you can make a 1:1 substitution between l-ascorbic acid and ascorbyl phosphate in order to get the same percentage of useable Vitamin C.

Despite the more stable solution, your body will have to convert the ascorbyl phosphate into l-ascorbic acid before it's available for use by the skin.

I would aim for a 15% to 20% solution ... hoping that during the conversion, you will lose only 50%. But that's just my thinking.

Do the directions indicate the relationship between the phosphate and l-ascorbic acid?

Of course, you could begin with a 10% solution and see if you find it effective ... and then move up from there.

Hopefully someone else will weigh in on this. Very Happy

Mary

5% products discount

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:29 am      Reply with quote
So how would I go about making a 10% solution? How much powder, distilled water & propylene glycol?

thanks
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Here is a simple recipe:

1/2 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid Powder
4 tsp Ky Ultra Gel

Make sure it is the one without the Aloe(plant extracts have trace metals in them and can degrade the V-C).

Place in 1/2 oz. amber glass dropper bottle. Set sealed bottle in a cup of hot water to aid in dissolving the L-Ascorbic Acid. Distilled water may be used to thin the serum if you feel it is to sticky. This should last 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

Sources of L-Ascorbic C (Note: When purchasing they call it Ascorbic Acid Powder the L is not included). This will give a ph of 2.5 - 3

Now Foods Brand
Vitamin Shoppe Brand
Solger Brand
PersonalFormulater.com
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Ooooop!

meant 1/2 tsp LAA with 2 tsp of KY Ultra.
vnewskin
5% products discount

Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:25 am      Reply with quote
I have just recieved my container of L asorbic acid. I am going to make my first vit c serum. Just wondered about the metal thing. I believe there is zinc in my burts bees moisturizer, (the spf factor). Will this react with the vit c? I was going to put the serum on in the mornings and then go voer it with my moisturizer. Any advice would be so welcome.

One more question. I have large pores on my nose and have ordered skinceuticals retinol 0.5%. I want to start using it as soon as it gets here, but is it wise to use it along with the vit c? Perhaps I should wait a while until my skin gets used to the vit c?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
vnewskin wrote:
I have just recieved my container of L asorbic acid. I am going to make my first vit c serum. Just wondered about the metal thing. I believe there is zinc in my burts bees moisturizer, (the spf factor). Will this react with the vit c? I was going to put the serum on in the mornings and then go voer it with my moisturizer. Any advice would be so welcome.

One more question. I have large pores on my nose and have ordered skinceuticals retinol 0.5%. I want to start using it as soon as it gets here, but is it wise to use it along with the vit c? Perhaps I should wait a while until my skin gets used to the vit c?

You should be ok with the zinc and vitamin C. Lots of people put the C serum on first, wait 15-20 minutes (if you can) and then apply zinc sunscreen. The wait time allows the C to exfoliate. If you can't do that long of a wait, try for 3-5 minutes to allow it to fully sink in before you apply sunscreen.

I would use the retinol at night. I try not to start two new products at the same time in case I have a reaction. You may want to start with the C serum first, then introduce the retinol a week later. If you develop irritation, use the retinol less frequently until you adjust. Good luck!
vnewskin
5% products discount

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks shastagirl. great advice.
btw i recently started doing OCM I have added some salicylic acid to my OCM oil mix and also to my moisturizer. My skin feel lovely and soft and the pores are no longer clogged, but they actually seem to be more noticable than they were before I started looking after my skin! is that normal?
Just one more thing if you don't mind...should I cut the salicylic acid out when I start the retinol and vit c?
thanks so much again
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:05 am      Reply with quote
Salicylic, retinol and vitamin C could be harsh on your skin. I would start slow, introduce one new thing at a time and see how your skin takes it. If it gets irritated use it less frequently. I would cut out the salicylic while introducing retinol and vit C. You may be able to eventually introduce it back in.

If your skin is not sensitive, you might be able to work up to vit C daily in the morning, retinol every other night (maybe every night) and salicylic a couple times a week (probably on the nights you don't use retinol).

Regarding your pores, OCM tends to get the gunk out of the pores, so you are getting stuff out which makes the pores larger. It should be temporary. The retinol and vit C should help tighten them up.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
For ordering actives skinactives has a sister site in the UK now. Smile

http://www.activeformulas.com/activeformulas/Welcome.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
In addition to ShastaGirl's great advice about tightening pores after OCM, use a mild toner in the fridge the combo of toner and cold help close them temporarily. Smile

5% products discount

Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:03 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice girls. Shastagirl, that reoutine sounds like a great plan. Just on e question though; does the vit c serum make your face look a little oily if you put it on in the morning? Any tips for oil t-zone and vit c serum usage?
Thanks again
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:49 am      Reply with quote
vnewskin wrote:
Thanks for the advice girls. Shastagirl, that reoutine sounds like a great plan. Just on e question though; does the vit c serum make your face look a little oily if you put it on in the morning? Any tips for oil t-zone and vit c serum usage?
Thanks again

No, I've not noticed any issues with oiliness. I do use it on my t-zone. My skin is normal (very slightly dry in the winter). It soaks right in. I wash my face, wait a few minutes for it to dry and then apply C serum and wait 10-20 minutes for it to soak in before applying anything else.
vnewskin
5% products discount

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi girls
ANyone know how long I can store my homemade vit c serum before it becomes oxidised?
The recipe I am using is simply 5ml distilled water, 5ml propylene glycol, quarter tsp l asorbic acid and one capsule of vit e oil.
I know that using glycerin allows longer shelf life, but I am not sure how long I can store it using propylene glycol?
Also, how do I apply it? with fingers or cotton balls?
Thaks for any info, really appreciate it.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |