Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

REVIEW: fab new "bargain" lip stain marker
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:41 am      Reply with quote
"Styli-Style L3 Lip Stain Markers"

I found these in a clearance bucket at the back of one of my local Ulta stores, marked down to $1.99 each. Even though my prior experience with marker-style lip stains (i.e.: Sephora brand, LipInk, the original ones from Stila) have been overwhelmingly bad (too drying to my lips, the tip drying out and not dispensing product evenly, etc.) and until now the only lip stain I would feel comfortable recommending to anyone are the lip/cheek gel stains from Vincent Longo.

Anyway, I couldn't resist that price so I picked up a couple of the Styli-style lip markers in "Hudson" and "Darling," figuring that even if they sucked and I didn't like them, I could always throw them in as a swap extra or pass one along to one of my international pals for whom I perform "personal shopping" services.

It turns out that I completely LOVE these lip markers, so much so that I plan to go back to that Ulta and clean out their remaining clearance stock! The Hudson shade, which I was most hesitant to purchase as it appeared to closely resemble my beloved VL lip/cheek gel stain in "Liquid Kiss," actually turned out to be a YLBB, reddish berry color for my faintly reddish, pigmented lips and -- as with all lip stains -- the color is buildable simply by adding additional layers.

The Darling shade is a lovely peachy pink, unlike the nearly impossible to wear bubblegum/Barbie pink from VL called "Baby Boo" that only a pre-teen could possibly embrace, and makes a perfect base on which to layer my beloved Smashbox Tinted Lip Treatment in "Smashing Shine" to give me a girly, albeit no fuss, everyday look.

The Ulta clearance bucket also had a color called "Siene" but the container/tube looked scarily chocolate brown to me so I gave it a pass, but I have since discovered that Siene is actually their most neutral lip stain offering in nude. I'll be going back to pick one of them up, too!

As with all lip stains, they can wear off unevenly and leave a bit of a darker colored ring around the perimeter of your lips, and I typically do have to apply them a 2nd time throughout my day, but they definitely provide longer and less maintenance wear than the typical lipstick or gloss.

My other complaint with the previous marker-style lip stains that I've tried is the overly drying formulation, but these Styli-style Lip Markers did NOT leave me with that telltale overly dry, chapped sensation that was a legacy of the Sephora, Urban Decay and Stila versions.

So while I still prefer the tube with doe-foot, sponge-tip applicator from Vincent Longo, I would definitely be able to recommend these Styli-style lip stains to my friends and associates with a clear conscience. I need to go back and check out what other shades might be available, as I'm still on a nearly decade-long quest to locate a peachy/orange (yes, I said "orange!") lip stain. I thought I'd found it in the "01 - Apricot" lip marker from Sephora, but while the color was exactly what I'd been searching for, it was not enough to overcome my previously outlined complaints against that particular type of marker lip stain, so my quest continues....

In summary, because I'm not able to find any of the lip markers among the current Styli-Style product displays at Ulta, CVS or Sallys Beauty supply store, I have a sinking feeling that these lip stains have been discontinued so in the next few days I will be making a bee-line around the 3 Ulta locations in Austin to raid their clearance shelves to snap up the remaining quantities when and where I can find them, but I'll give you guys a day or two head-start so if you hurry down to Ulta you might be able to snag one for yourself before I get there! Very Happy

Seriously, if you accepted my recommendation for the Vincent Longo lip/cheek gel stains and loved them the way I do, here's another lip stain that you seriously need to try out. Even if you can't find them at the clearance price, they retail for around six bucks apiece so they're still a bargain when compared with the VL lip stains which costs more than four times as much!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Wow, they sound great! I, of course, loved the VL stains, and now you´ve got me lemming these.
It´s simply impossible to read your reviews without wanting the item. Laughing
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:00 am      Reply with quote
ARGH! I've been looking for these everywhere. Months ago I was reading some great reviews on this at MUA but I never could find them anywhere, even at Ulta and I went to 2! Maybe they had already gone on sale and/or discontinued at my stores. I'm still on my quest to find the perfect lipstain for me and was hoping these might be the ones!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:19 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
ARGH! I've been looking for these everywhere. Months ago I was reading some great reviews on this at MUA but I never could find them anywhere, even at Ulta and I went to 2! Maybe they had already gone on sale and/or discontinued at my stores. I'm still on my quest to find the perfect lipstain for me and was hoping these might be the ones!
Check again in the discount buckets in the back of the store/s -- I found them toward the bottom when I was rooting around for marked-down OPI/Essie nail polishes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Thanks! I'll be headed there in just a few hours. Very Happy
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Unfortunately there are no Ulta stores around here I really would like to try a good lip stain. We have CVS and Walgreens. I'll have to check their discount buckets.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
Unfortunately there are no Ulta stores around here I really would like to try a good lip stain. We have CVS and Walgreens. I'll have to check their discount buckets.
I know CVS definitely carries the Styli-Style line, although I didn't see any lip markers when I was there the last two visits so definitely check the clearance bin!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies I think I have to try this, and as I have no ULTA's here in California and am to lazy to run to RiteAid and Walgreens in search of them, while they are also more expensive ($7 ea verses the sale price of $1.99)here is where you can purchase them:

http://www.cosmeticmall.com/product_list.aspx?nav_mode=brand&category_id=36&brand_category_id=1019

http://www.shop.com/op/~Styli_Style_L3_Lip_Stains-prod-10445341

and of course there is always ebay-although i already looked there and they have te Syli Style products, but not the stains.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
These sound great! Still, my Stila experience has left me fearing any lip stain markers. The color was great but it was so hard to apply evenly and it was so drying! How is the application on Styli-Styles?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:45 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
These sound great! Still, my Stila experience has left me fearing any lip stain markers. The color was great but it was so hard to apply evenly and it was so drying! How is the application on Styli-Styles?
That's why I hated all lip stain markers: the uneven application, the fact that the stupid felt-tip would dry up and not dispense any product at all. I haven't hate any of that mess with the Styli-style lip markers. It applies evenly so you can control how much or how little you want to apply and you can layer it to get a darker effect. Believe me, I never thought the day would come that I recommend any lip stain that came in the marker-style applicator!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
I bought the Styli-Style lip stains in Seine and Nile in the Ulta clearance today.... SEINE is surprisingly nicely-neutral for the coffee colored package and even more surprising is the really pretty fresh pink shade of NILE despite the highlighter-esqu shade of its package. Wouldn't have ever found these otherwise ~ Thank you! Love the $2 price!

....oh yeah, I bought a the ultra glossy SKIN ESSENTIALS Lip Enhancer (tube w/ wand) w/ "Hyaluronic Filling Spheres" "alternative to Lip Fusion" "Visibly boosts lip volume" (Walgreens & CVS)...nice over the flat stain and tastes good.

...and ditto on the orangey-peach shade...I got some in an ULTA kit (cheap, as a gift) and discovered I love this shade...always thought I was a strictly pink girl...anyway, I'll keep you posted if I find it...strength in numbers and all that.

5% products discount

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
speaking of lipstains...the body shop's lipstain is my favorite (i dont own any of their products except for this one). it doesnt dry out my lips and you can control the color with a light or heavy hand. i have tried other stains, but none seem to impart such a pretty color. i can achieve a pale pink lip by dotting and smearing- or darker pink by applying more product. i guess the likeability of this product would depend on your skin tone. i have golden tan skin -blonde hair and brown eyes and the color is perfect for me. after i wash off my make up at bedtime, i usually put some on ...my hubby probably thinks i have naturally beautiful lip color. i have to do something to perk up my face when the make up comes off before i go to bed at night!
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I was able to find the two pink colors (nile and darling) but not the Siene that I was hoping for. These are both too pink for me although I do like the application. If I had to choose one over the other I'd say that the peachier one (darling) suits me best. The search continues...
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:51 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
I need to go back and check out what other shades might be available, as I'm still on a nearly decade-long quest to locate a peachy/orange (yes, I said "orange!") lip stain. I thought I'd found it in the "01 - Apricot" lip marker from Sephora, but while the color was exactly what I'd been searching for, it was not enough to overcome my previously outlined complaints against that particular type of marker lip stain, so my quest continues....

Deborah Italia makes a line called Rouge Baiser (well, at least here in france) that are quite wonderful. not drying, long lasting, and you can layer them for a deeper colour or mix and match. i bring up this line because they have that elusive colour you're looking for. it looks near tangerine in the stylo, but luckily comes out more peche on the lips. more than one layer, though, well: clementine lips!

i do recommend these stylos for european members. just be sure to store them upside down!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:10 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
carekate wrote:
I need to go back and check out what other shades might be available, as I'm still on a nearly decade-long quest to locate a peachy/orange (yes, I said "orange!") lip stain. I thought I'd found it in the "01 - Apricot" lip marker from Sephora, but while the color was exactly what I'd been searching for, it was not enough to overcome my previously outlined complaints against that particular type of marker lip stain, so my quest continues....

Deborah Italia makes a line called Rouge Baiser (well, at least here in france) that are quite wonderful. not drying, long lasting, and you can layer them for a deeper colour or mix and match. i bring up this line because they have that elusive colour you're looking for. it looks near tangerine in the stylo, but luckily comes out more peche on the lips.

Well then, I don't suppose you'd be willing to make a custom purchase or arrange a swap with me for this peachy lip stain?! Pray

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:37 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Well then, I don't suppose you'd be willing to make a custom purchase or arrange a swap with me for this peachy lip stain?! Pray

sent you a pm. think we can work something out... i just can't resist that beggy face!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:52 am      Reply with quote
Alright, which one of you secret Austin lurkers beat me to the Ulta at Gateway and cleaned out the clearance bins of the remaining tubes of Styli-style lip markers??? Mad I swear, I’m going to have to stop sharing info until I squirrel enough of every product in my stockpile! I suppose this means that a trip to the Ulta on Brodie would be a waste of time because one of you already beat me to it...?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
which one of you secret Austin lurkers beat me to the Ulta at Gateway and cleaned out the clearance bins of the remaining tubes of Styli-style lip markers???

Haha~ you couldn't mean me? I did, but I posted about it above. I don't go to Brodie. I have the Siene shade; lost my zeal for it quickly...do you want it? Is that gross?

I came back to this thread to post about the orangy shade of lip marker at sephora, Apricot...but see you've tried these...I saw them on my way out and the color looked good on my wrist...

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
Carrie - thank you so much for getting me one! These are fab and so much better than the Stila ones! They do not seem to be drying at all (so far, I only got the parcel this morning) and also have a nice scent (green apple?) and apply evenly. I love the Darling shade as well, suits me very well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:33 am      Reply with quote
CyndiK. wrote:
Quote:
which one of you secret Austin lurkers beat me to the Ulta at Gateway and cleaned out the clearance bins of the remaining tubes of Styli-style lip markers???

Haha~ you couldn't mean me? I did, but I posted about it above. I don't go to Brodie. I have the Siene shade; lost my zeal for it quickly...do you want it? Is that gross?
No, I didn't mean you! Apparently I have a band of "followers" that lurk around the board -- just reading reviews, never posting -- who then make a bee-line to the store to purchase whatever product I've raved about. God, do I sound conceited or what?! Confused One of my "fans" briefly broke cover and announced herself in one of the Ardell lash discussions, confessing that she and her pals had cleaned out Ulta and CVS of their remaining inventory of Ardell. Thankfully, she did confess because I was beginning to feel extremely paranoid when I'd rave about a product and then be unable to find it the next time I went to the store.... Very Happy

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |